Rock, Paper,....?

Prev1
Beeblebrox
424 posts Member
edited April 2019
Hmm, so, let's recap:
April 10th: CG state that they are aiming for a variety of competitive teams, and are targetting a close-to rock-paper-scissors situation rather than hugely dominant individual squads

April 16th: CG rework a brand new character that's less than a week old so that they can specifically prevent a variety of competitive teams and support a pay-wall meta

....yeah, and you wonder why the huddled masses of non-whale players don't trust a word CG says!!
m5zee8tmex4i.png
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Rock, paper, scissors, but if you pay up, you get a nuke. And if your scissors cut some wires to disable the nuke, they take them away.
  • Beeblebrox wrote: »
    Hmm, so, let's recap:
    April 10th: CG state that they are aiming for a variety of competitive teams, and are targetting a close-to rock-paper-scissors situation rather than hugely dominant individual squads

April 16th: CG rework a brand new character that's less than a week old so that they can specifically prevent a variety of competitive teams and support a pay-wall meta

....yeah, and you wonder why the huddled masses of non-whale players don't trust a word CG says!!
    m5zee8tmex4i.png

Ur not realizing the whole thing they said future and it will take time so probably the next few months when a new meta team comes out to change it to 3. Plus it wasent technically part of the road ahead but the description and talking before the road ahead started it does say when the road starts.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Just for the record, the whales don't trust CG either. That's why many are quitting. We've lost a couple from our launch guild in the past few months. Just saying. Lies and deceit anger all customers - not just f2p and lower paying ones.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Just for the record, the whales don't trust CG either. That's why many are quitting. We've lost a couple from our launch guild in the past few months. Just saying. Lies and deceit anger all customers - not just f2p and lower paying ones.

Fair point!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    well, the change basically only counters sith (namely palp lead with perhaps some of the same characters you'd typically find in a DRevan/malak team).
    so there's that
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    well, the change basically only counters sith (namely palp lead with perhaps some of the same characters you'd typically find in a DRevan/malak team).
    so there's that

The change sends the message that they are willing to micromanage the meta if players come up with something they don't like, and that is a much bigger problem than one team becoming useless in arena.
  • leef wrote: »
    so there's that

...except that really only Sith teams were viable counters to Drevan+Malak squads. As far as I'm aware the only other slightly viable option is Bounty Hunters (of course I could be wrong and missing some??)
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Beeblebrox wrote: »
    so there's that

...except that really only Sith teams were viable counters to Drevan+Malak squads. As far as I'm aware the only other slightly viable option is Bounty Hunters (of course I could be wrong and missing some??)

Are they really somewhat viable? Prepare for a BH nerf soon...
  • Nauros wrote: »
    so there's that

Are they really somewhat viable? Prepare for a BH nerf soon...

Arghh, no, delete comment, delete comment. Ummm, yeah the only counter is umm the Tuskens, phew, fixed!
    :D
  • None of this matters, I have a safe source that confirmed Jedi Luke is coming in 3 months and he will have a very simple kit with only one basic attack

When Jedi Luke enters the battle, he take a bonus turn (before Han Solo)
    If you pay US$ 10 all enemies are instantly defeated
    If you don't, Jedi Luke is stunned until the end of the battle and all allies lose 50 speed
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    SmashItUp wrote: »
    None of this matters, I have a safe source that confirmed Jedi Luke is coming in 3 months and he will have a very simple kit with only one basic attack

When Jedi Luke enters the battle, he take a bonus turn (before Han Solo)
    If you pay US$ 10 all enemies are instantly defeated
    If you don't, Jedi Luke is stunned until the end of the battle and all allies lose 50 speed

That's not at all accurate. We all know that your "source" left off at least 1 zero....
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    so there's that

The change sends the message that they are willing to micromanage the meta if players come up with something they don't like, and that is a much bigger problem than one team becoming useless in arena.

i order to achieve a somewhat rock/paper/scissors meta they'd have to micromanage the meta anyway, so i feel like that's a moot point.
    I'd also like to point out that this kind of behaviour by the devs isn't exactly without precedent, usually not in favour of the "have nots".
  • LynnYoda
    1017 posts Member
    biggest whale in our alliance just quit too due to the Malak fiasco, he has every character maxed out except Malak, wouldnt like to even guess what he has spent on this game but says that was the last straw from CG/EA
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    so there's that

i order to achieve a somewhat rock/paper/scissors meta they'd have to micromanage the meta anyway, so i feel like that's a moot point.
    I'd also like to point out that this kind of behaviour by the devs isn't exactly without precedent, usually not in favour of the "have nots".

We had something very close to rock-paper-scissors before JKR's second coming (barring the very top occupied by JKR) without such targeted changes to existing characters. Changes to specifically disable counters are, afaik, unprecedented (I believe that zFinn was actually nerfed because of the raid) and not a healthy way to go for the game. Besides, we did have a true r-p-s meta before this change.

Lol, that's an understatement worthy of an award right there :D Of course coming less than 1-week after stating they're aiming for a more varied and competitive landscape does somewhat elevate the scale of what they did this time
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    LynnYoda wrote: »
    biggest whale in our alliance just quit too due to the Malak fiasco, he has every character maxed out except Malak, wouldnt like to even guess what he has spent on this game but says that was the last straw from CG/EA

wait, his maxed out roster couldn't get him malak? or the small amount, at least in comparison to his former spending, couldn't get malak geared? was it the GET issue? Does a guy with a maxed out roster not have leftover GET? I'm fascinated by this. seriously. not hating, just curious
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    so there's that

We had something very close to rock-paper-scissors before JKR's second coming (barring the very top occupied by JKR) without such targeted changes to existing characters. Changes to specifically disable counters are, afaik, unprecedented (I believe that zFinn was actually nerfed because of the raid) and not a healthy way to go for the game. Besides, we did have a true r-p-s meta before this change.

I reckon roughly the same amount of players unlocked malak now as unlocked JKR when he was first released.
    I wasn't specifically talking about nerfing counters, but it has happened with Finn and nest. One could argue HK aswell, but that's rather recent. It was more a general statement in terms of they'll make sure their new shiny toon has the least amount of possible counters. I probably should have phrased that better.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    The other thing that is frustrating about this "newer-ish" model (basically, the single-character dominant model that CG has been running with for 20+ months now) - is that the entire thing is built on a false premise.

CG clearly believes (again, incorrectly) that Star Wars fans will only spend if they are forced to by a prescribed meta. The fact is, many of us were strongly supporting the game years ago - before the meta was nearly this prescribed. In fact, many of us STOPPED coughing up money, precisely because we felt like we were being "told" how to spend it by the prescribed meta releases.

Whatever. It's Carrie's game now, and apparently she is content to ru(i)n it however she pleases. Even if that means promising variety and balance in one post, then 6 days later telling her team to do the opposite.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    The other thing that is frustrating about this "newer-ish" model (basically, the single-character dominant model that CG has been running with for 20+ months now) - is that the entire thing is built on a false premise.

CG clearly believes (again, incorrectly) that Star Wars fans will only spend if they are forced to by a prescribed meta. The fact is, many of us were strongly supporting the game years ago - before the meta was nearly this prescribed. In fact, many of us STOPPED coughing up money, precisely because we felt like we were being "told" how to spend it by the prescribed meta releases.

Whatever. It's Carrie's game now, and apparently she is content to ru(i)n it however she pleases. Even if that means promising variety and balance in one post, then 6 days later telling her team to do the opposite.

The fact that some players stopped spending because of how they run things doesn't necessarily mean it would have been better if they didn't release meta dominant characters.
    One could assume they those players would have continued to spend if they didn't (only) release meta dominant characters, but would the players who kept spending all along also keep spending if they did NOT release meta dominant characters?
    Too many unknowns to base any argument on imo. Especially because "we" don't have the data but they do and they're the "experts", so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Rock, paper...

Finger?
    Post edited by Globuhl on
    ...they're the "experts", so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Lol. You mean the same company that was behind Battlefront2 quite possibly the most controversial game ever, and extremely unpopular in pretty much all corners, that led to some governments specifically creating new laws banning certain loot/micro-transations - those experts? :p
  • and ... let's not forget, this is actually not the 'dev's' fault. This is poor management, pure and simple. The 'devs' simply do what they are told. I too think, in the past 6-12 months, the game has turned down a path from which it can't escape, but it's not the devs fault. Management with poor marketing skills are to blame 100%.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Rock,Paper,....?
    Revan!

Paper beats Rock.
    Rock loses to Revan.
    Revan beats everything.

Balance!!! :D

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

The fact that some players stopped spending because of how they run things doesn't necessarily mean it would have been better if they didn't release meta dominant characters.
    One could assume they those players would have continued to spend if they didn't (only) release meta dominant characters, but would the players who kept spending all along also keep spending if they did NOT release meta dominant characters?
    Too many unknowns to base any argument on imo. Especially because "we" don't have the data but they do and they're the "experts", so i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for putting the word "experts" in quotes. I used to trust CG knew what they were doing. I don't and haven't for a long time. They and the new "leadership team have done too many things wrong and poorly - both in terms of functionality and how they treat their customers.

• zEmp was very broken vs DR and it made a full sith empire team still not worth running even if you had Malak. It's so broken that a DR lead team might move 2-3 times only.

I think they could've made it so ferocity didn't count as a debuff for zEmp to gain TM from. If they did that zEmp would still be good but possibly not better over a full sith empire team but still good enough to run.

I was honestly thinking they might add like a mass daze to use against zEmp or change something with the ferocity interaction with zEmp lead. The full TM gain immunity on sith is pretty lame so definitely I would've preferred a mass daze or having ferocity not be affected by zEmp lead
  • Every body that climbs in my shard with zEP either switched back to DR or JKR after their climb. When I got DR I was still using JKR and fell to the high 40's. After I switched to DR I fall in between the 18 - 25 range. If I kept zEP lead I would probably fall out of the top 50. zEP is a tool to merely get to help get better rewards due to speed mods. DR is to hold on defense. Now if I am not at speed mismatch I will cruise on through with DR but that isn't the case in my shard.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Rock, paper, tm gain.
    Now they hand out "no tm gain" abilities...
    Hope they remove every tm gain from every lead- and unique ability...

Agreed. That would be cool if wasn't limited to only sith enemies.

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Rock, paper, tm gain.
    Now they hand out "no tm gain" abilities...
    Hope they remove every tm gain from every lead- and unique ability...

And have speed mods as literally the only thing that matters? Well, the game might finally go under if they do that, and I'm not sure if it would be a bad thing anymore...