Can't you hear the people?!

Replies

• DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Five-year plan:

1) Milk the whales for as much as you can in the next few months, hacking them off until they stop paying you and/or leave the game, causing it to implode by the end of the year.
    2) Get a new job next year.
    3) Hopefully do well at it for at least 3 years after that.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Jarvind wrote: »
    They listen to metrics. The forum is a TINY percentage of actual players.

Clearly their metrics (play time, $ spent, etc) are telling them this is the way to go. They may pay some lip service occasionally, but you should really just accept that the forums just for players to talk to each other. They don't care about anything that gets said here.

Frankly I can't blame them, since no matter what they say, everyone craps all over them for it.

This guy knows how businesses work. I get the rage from the community here, but their metrics must show otherwise.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Beeblebrox wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Fives5555 wrote: »
    It’s more EA’s fault. They have the final say on things

And Disney to an extent but probably more EAs

Yup...and just last month it was announced that EA would be losing its Star Wars Games licence - so perhaps Disney is as upset with them as us players!

@Beeblebrox I would love to see the article stating that, can you share a link.

I'm sure you can find it yourself with a few minutes spent not making unnecessary censorship changes to accurate forum posts

Unnecessary dig at an awesome forum moderator.

Also, I just looked online for an article like that one. All I found was one published A YEAR AGO that just talked about RUMORS. Nothing substantiated. Oh, and a petition from about a year ago calling for Lucasfilm to revoke EA's license but that's it. So really you aren't bringing anything of value to the discussion. Thanks for stopping by.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Yup...and just last month it was announced that EA would be losing its Star Wars Games licence - so perhaps Disney is as upset with them as us players!

I'm sure you can find it yourself with a few minutes spent not making unnecessary censorship changes to accurate forum posts

I did look, and absolutely nothing states that.

Even the "reopening" of the studio by Disney states they have no intention of making changes to the agreement with EA.
  • Don't lump in the hard nodes with the other stuff. It was never meant to be permanently 8. The 25-crystal refresh is also "for a limited time", so don't be surprised when that goes away too.
  • Shijowiral wrote: »
    I wanna start by saying I managed to get Malak. I hope that adds a small amount of credibility to what I'm about to say. There are a lot of recent changes to the game that I think negatively impact the game:

1.) Changes to hard nodes.

This is a huge hit to new players, which is really confusing if EA/CG is interested in growing the game. Unless CG is going to pump out more content for the current population of whales to spend money on, which I don't see them doing, the only way to make more money is to continue to increase the player base (i.e. increase the population of whales). The game is harder than ever to break into, and this just makes it worse.

2.) Unprecedented standards for Darth Malak balanced

No notice, shortened time span for the event, and completely new power wall. There's nothing else to say here, but each one of those things are unacceptable on their own, which makes the combination of them a lot worse.

3.) Direct Nerf to zEP

We arrived at a rock, paper, scissors meta. DR beats JKR, zEP beats DR, and JKR beats zEP. The game was actually in a balanced state in arena, and this throws everything off. I can't imagine the decision making criteria here, but I don't see how this isn't going to turn into a simple speed race. There's no strategy involved, just good luck in the mod store.

This has been a rough couple of days for this game. I think CG needs to take a step back and seriously consider the impact of all these decisions on the long-term health of the game.

I don't know why veteran players continue to use "new players" as a argument against the hard node change. New players are all on the same level playing field. Changing the hard node cap doesn't change a thing from a new player standpoint. They have A LOT to farm and, unless they are already at the level cap, don't even have enough energy to utilize all 8 attempts at one hard node. New players are playing against themselves, not against 4+mil GP veterans. The hard node change affects veteran players the most, since we only need to farm the one new thing to keep pace.

As far as zEP goes, there was definitely a problem there. When my brand new DR team with super fast mods cannot beat zEP on offense (4 losses in a row trying various teams and strategies), there is a huge problem. Why even release new Sith when they get obliterated by the Sith of well over a year ago? It got a lot better when I unlocked Malak and put him on the team, so I don't know if I agree with the proposed "fix", but this sort of thing cannot be happening to a brand new team. Also, zEP is still fine against every other team you will use him against in GA/TW.. zEP isn't changing at all except against one specific character.
  • Articled wrote: »

You mean, 'Cant you hear the f2p players with poor resource managenent and planning skills, that want to be given rank1 arena on a silver plate? `
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Articled wrote: »

You mean, 'Cant you hear the f2p players with poor resource managenent and planning skills, that want to be given rank1 arena on a silver plate? `

In my opinion, this is really the root of the rage.

I'm f2p. I love playing this game and I've never been anywhere close to being #1. I hover around #180. I don't have JKR (will get him on the next go-around) and will likely only get DR/Malak months from now.

But I still have a blast in GA, raids, TW, TB, and the other game modes. I don't get this whole notion that it's Arena-or-Bust.

Yeah, the whole Malak release and buff is a little annoying but it's understandable that EA would want to give a big advantage to those who dropped money. I have never dropped money on this game. I can still have a blast, but I just need to be ok hovering around #180 (which I am).
  • Articled
    23 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Shijowiral wrote: »
    I wanna start by saying I managed to get Malak. I hope that adds a small amount of credibility to what I'm about to say. There are a lot of recent changes to the game that I think negatively impact the game:

This is a huge hit to new players, which is really confusing if EA/CG is interested in growing the game. Unless CG is going to pump out more content for the current population of whales to spend money on, which I don't see them doing, the only way to make more money is to continue to increase the player base (i.e. increase the population of whales). The game is harder than ever to break into, and this just makes it worse.

No notice, shortened time span for the event, and completely new power wall. There's nothing else to say here, but each one of those things are unacceptable on their own, which makes the combination of them a lot worse.

3.) Direct Nerf to zEP

We arrived at a rock, paper, scissors meta. DR beats JKR, zEP beats DR, and JKR beats zEP. The game was actually in a balanced state in arena, and this throws everything off. I can't imagine the decision making criteria here, but I don't see how this isn't going to turn into a simple speed race. There's no strategy involved, just good luck in the mod store.

This has been a rough couple of days for this game. I think CG needs to take a step back and seriously consider the impact of all these decisions on the long-term health of the game.

This is exactly my point.
    The most annoying thing though is that they said they would try a rock-paper-scissor approach in Arena. The arena is not the only important thing in the game but since it's the part of the game that gives most of the crystal I'd say it is the most important. So from their position, having said that (rock-paper-scissor approach in Arena), it is nothing but unacceptable directly breaking that in a matter of days.
    Was it really fun when JKR held 90% of the #1 spots in arena? If someone likes that then, I have nothing further to say.
    I am not someone who wants the #1 spot in a silver platter as one fellow member of the forums said, I have no problem being top 100. What I have a problem with though, is seeing 90% of the chart be one particular team.
  • Of course they don’t listen to the community, it doesn’t make them enough money to be for the people
  • Kyno wrote: »

https://gamerant.com/disney-star-wars-license-ea-619/
    It's just a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is seriously considering it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Beeblebrox I would love to see the article stating that, can you share a link.

It's just a rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is seriously considering it.

@OpticGK_Alex

That post is over a year old and there have been several official statements made in more recent history that directly contradict that rumor.

Disney being upset about how the Star Wars brand is being handled must be too ironic to be taken seriously.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Wow, an online petition with 11k signatures?

That's like less than the 13k+ Malak (only counting those registered on swgoh.gg. https://swgoh.gg/characters/darth-malak/data/?filter_type=all)

And since so many people are claiming that Malak is a massive paywall we can conclude that majority of that 13,000 are kraken/whales.

As a non-charity business, do you:
    a) look at the metrics and see 13,000 paying customers
    b) listen to some random 11,000 non paying beta testers?

• Neo43
    26 posts Member
    This is what's wrong these days. Communities start a petition, they get 11k or so people to sign said petition, they don't get what they want, and then they all say "...but there was a petition!" Petitions mean nothing, stop complaining because you didn't get exactly what you want. The developer made the game, they run the game, let them run the game, if you like it then play the game, if you don't like it then don't play the game.
  • Neo43
    26 posts Member
    This is what's wrong these days. Communities start a petition, they get 11k or so people to sign said petition, they don't get what they want, and then they all say "...but there was a petition!" Petitions mean nothing, stop complaining because you didn't get exactly what you want. The developer made the game, they run the game, let them run the game, if you like it then play the game, if you don't like it then don't play the game.

Beeblebrox I would love to see the article stating that, can you share a link.

@OpticGK_Alex

That post is over a year old and there have been several official statements made in more recent history that directly contradict that rumor.

True, but one can hope xD.
  • Beeblebrox wrote: »

I don’t think that was officially stated, but I would assume at some point what you said will happen due to the reboot of Lucasfilm Games.

Disney has taken back its licensing from Netflix and will launch its own streaming service to cut out the middle man. No reason to assume they won’t do the same with gaming now that they have their own studio.

I truly believe that’s why the cash grabs and community snubbing have ramped up and would love someone to ask this of the devs - not that we’d get anything resembling a straight answer, but just because it would be interesting to hear their take.

• Why do you hang on to the petition. You are missing the point. Where is the diversity in arena? I understand they need to make money off of the game they developed. How can the game survive if a ftp player cannot even come close to competing?
  • SkiaRyder
    120 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    @CG_SBCrumb Most peoples main concern behind the hard node change seems to be new players even though it certainly slows rest of us. So why not start compromising on some of this stuff. In this instance why not make Hard nodes 8 for lvl 1-84, and 5 for lvl 85. This type of change can be made for alot of in game things and its ridiculous to think you guys do not have someone in your ear that actually works for you giving this type of info. EVERYTHING that can be done to bring new players and keep them SHOULD be done.
  • Everyone loves to crap on CG, but thanks to their new business model, I've discovered Marvel Strike Force. It's basically a swgoh clone, back from when it used to be fun. It's pretty buggy, but I haven't had to get a second mortgage yet... bonus! Thanks, CG!
  • Jarvind wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    I keep hearing the game is dying, anyone have a link?

Every online game in history has people constantly declaring that it is "dying." I played Everquest for 3 years and it was "dying" the entire time. 17 years later it's still online.
    City of Heroes/Villains isn't, Marvel Heroes Online isn't. :(
  • Shijowiral wrote: »

3.) Direct Nerf to zEP

I have been saying this for a while. When you make one SUPER powerful toon and the only way to beat it is to create another SUPER powerful toon this is what you get. Then, once we do actually have a litttle let up in the Revan filled arena, they nerf it. They announced GG retool that was supposed to be a counter to JKR, the whales complain, they nerf it. We get a relief from a super long boring tank raid, they nerf it. See a pattern here? When I first started, way back in beta form, I use to talk people into playing this game because you could compete even f2p. That has changed so much, to where if you’re not spending you’re not winning. All the recent announcements have been made with one thing in mind $$$$$$. The new ranking arena they’ve discussed, who’s winning that? The whales! They only way to win now is spend big. If you don’t spend you don’t win. If people figure out a way, it gets needed immediately. I’m all for making money, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. When the big spenders leave for the next big thing, they’ll be left in ruins because they took those that spend time and effort for granted. Everyone is farming the same toons because they force you too. There’s no variety because you can have a top notch team and Revan will cut through it like butter. So we all fake the same toons to get the same teams and everyone is mirror matching each other. You spend months farming and you can’t even use them.
  • SmashItUp wrote: »
    Only one word: DISGUSTING

I read that in the Scottish accent the woman does it in. Not sure if that’s intentional haa
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I don’t think that was officially stated, but I would assume at some point what you said will happen due to the reboot of Lucasfilm Games.

Disney has taken back its licensing from Netflix and will launch its own streaming service to cut out the middle man. No reason to assume they won’t do the same with gaming now that they have their own studio.

I truly believe that’s why the cash grabs and community snubbing have ramped up and would love someone to ask this of the devs - not that we’d get anything resembling a straight answer, but just because it would be interesting to hear their take.

@Thin_Liz_217
    s4uba9p30jc4.jpg
    https://geektyrant.com/news/disney-is-reviving-lucasfilm-games-and-may-take-back-the-star-wars-license-from-ea
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Why do you hang on to the petition. You are missing the point. Where is the diversity in arena? I understand they need to make money off of the game they developed. How can the game survive if a ftp player cannot even come close to competing?

I would contend that if you’re claiming that CG is killing the game by driving away players, your average Arena ranking should actually end up higher. You’re claiming that CG is culling away your competition but you end up LESS competitive? Doesn’t make sense mate.

• Lio wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »
    They listen to metrics. The forum is a TINY percentage of actual players.

Clearly their metrics (play time, $ spent, etc) are telling them this is the way to go. They may pay some lip service occasionally, but you should really just accept that the forums just for players to talk to each other. They don't care about anything that gets said here.

Frankly I can't blame them, since no matter what they say, everyone craps all over them for it.

This guy knows how businesses work. I get the rage from the community here, but their metrics must show otherwise.

Post the link please. Like all you ask the op. But there is none. AZS well as no info available at all to back your claim.
    Oh you actually have no clue, so your just assuming? Then wonder why people think people like you are just cg shills, hmm i wonder why.
    A good business takes care of all its customers not just the ones that spend the most, or am i wrong ?
  • Could it be as simple as they needed to move on from KOTOR to focus on Clones Wars, and had a plan to put out Malak in May or June with the new type of event but were hamstrung into flowing it out early by the powers that be?

Let's not get hung up on dev's or even the lead producer not listening. For a sudden event like what happened, it had to come from up on high. There is the problem, see it everyday at work. Workers want to give us the best, the big guy says forget it and move on.

Close??
    Still waiting on that edit forum profile setting so I can change my name...
  • Lio wrote: »

In my opinion, this is really the root of the rage.

I'm f2p. I love playing this game and I've never been anywhere close to being #1. I hover around #180. I don't have JKR (will get him on the next go-around) and will likely only get DR/Malak months from now.

But I still have a blast in GA, raids, TW, TB, and the other game modes. I don't get this whole notion that it's Arena-or-Bust.

Yeah, the whole Malak release and buff is a little annoying but it's understandable that EA would want to give a big advantage to those who dropped money. I have never dropped money on this game. I can still have a blast, but I just need to be ok hovering around #180 (which I am).

The post you’re replying to is just absurd. I get what YOU are saying though. I enjoy aspects of the game.. to me what’s frustrating is that every time f2p can compete there’s a nerf. I don’t think any f2p expects to be number 1. No one expects that, the person that said that is, idk fill in the blank with something that means ridiculous , not smart, not funny, lol. Most just want to compete. I f2p sort of and I’m in the top 100 , use to be top 50 until Jkr. My problem is the amount of time spent collecting toons and not having a chance the enjoy them. You can only use them is very specifics spots.

Right now everyone is farming the exact same toons to get the exact same team. I want some variety.