Upcoming Change to Darth Malak [MERGE]

Replies

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    bsticks wrote: »
    I know the devs pay attention to these forums and I hope they retract this change before it occurs based off the sheer negative response that this thread as well as some of the most popular YouTuber swgoh channels have had on this change. I loved battle arena over the past week because there were so many different teams and it came down to strategy rather than who has the best mods.

Also, with this change it really feels like they are purposely making KOTR sith better than modern sith. I hope they retract this change before they implement it and go back to the drawing board. I get they want to make the investment worth it for Malak this makes F2P players like me who only on rare occasion buy gems want to quit. I strongly disapprove of this change.

If you buy gems on rare occasions, you are not a F2P.

Of course KOTOR are going to be better than “modern” Sith! New characters are almost always better, and for good reason. Also I doubt that they will not implement this change.
  • To be honest I don't even care if they back off from this nonsense decision.
    The way the game is driven is quite clear, they push the limit (or further) and roll back when goes wrong?
    Contradiction on every single decision?
    There are ways to make money without going that far, I wouldn't sleep at night doing unethical calls like these
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    SmashItUp wrote: »
    To be honest I don't even care if they back off from this nonsense decision.
    The way the game is driven is quite clear, they push the limit (or further) and roll back when goes wrong?
    There are ways to make money without going that far, I wouldn't sleep at night doing unethical calls like these

If they were tourquing a bolt on an engine, they would just strip it and back it off half a turn. Why bother with specs.

Reddit is catching fire, one thread has almost 900 upvotes.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/bdnf33/cgs_latest_fixshows_they_dont_care_for_the_games/

Funny they don't make mega threads there.. lol
  • I know I'm not the sharpest stick in the woods but I'm confused...

Genuine question - what point is there farming any characters anymore?

Once they're good, they get nerfed. Am I missing something? Apart from the fairly obvious fact that CG/EA don't want anyone farming characters anymore...they want them buying characters.

• This change is the pivotal of uneeded, reckless, stupid and greedy moves you could have made CG. Time will tell how many people will drop and stop paying you... you now finally (after months with JKR) an arena which can be played with more than one team, apparently you guys believe aren should be the place for a single team and mod comparison.... Maybe it shouldnt be called Squad Arena but Mod Competition and only let play people who have current meta unlocked....

There is still time not to make this **** massive error.
  • Geshtianna wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Ikky2win wrote: »
    Everyone could see this coming. If you couldn’t, you weren’t paying attention. I for one love the change. Malak is the single hardest character to get. It requires two Journey characters, 8 other characters with at least 17,500 power, and one of the hardest, if not the hardest, events to date. Then once you actually have Malak, you have to spend 70,000 guild currency to 7 star him and he takes 4 of the new gear pieces which equates to 11,200 crystals. It shouldn’t be countered by a meta/character from a year and a half ago. What is the point of obtaining these super hard characters if they are super easy to counter?

Im with this guy.
    I love the changes.
    SAss is still great against anything, but the very top meta. Seems reasonable for a character that was released years ago.

Do you also love the precedent it sets, that when a ftp countermeta emerges, it gets immediately stomped to the ground?
    Or the message sent by such a quick reaction for this while some bugs are left to fester for months?

Yes. Arena should be dominated by the most powerful team that requires great planning to get first occasion or $$$.
    Copying someone who found an exploit with a character that everyone has, is not equal value as great planning.

Everyone hates bugs, and this game has a lot. I dont see how Malak makes CG's QA process worse.

It's not an exploit. The DR team's abilities revolve around EP's signature debuff. Why was shock chosen as one of the key mechanics for SE abilities if EP is not supposed to benefit from it?

The DR team is meant to debuff themselves, losing defense and tenacity constantly. Thats it. Its not supposed to also give 5 x 25% tm to the enemy team every turn.
    That is an exploit.

Shock is there for offense synergy. It makes sense thematically.
  • ...at this point, who would buy anything from these guys after all the changes they make after release?

And that's why these moves aren't smart...and don't create a sustainable income flow. I've spent a few pounds on this game, but won't anymore because it's not worth it, decisions taken by EA/CG make it not worth it. Now...imagine if I'd have spent thousands of pounds. Not a chance I'd keep that up.

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    The DR team is meant to debuff themselves, losing defense and tenacity constantly. Thats it. Its not supposed to also give 5 x 25% tm to the enemy team every turn.
    That is an exploit.

In the context of a multiplayer game, an "exploit" is considered gaining a personal advantage over other players through the use of a known in-game bug.

Take, for instance, when Nightsisters could solo Heroic Sith phase 1 because there was a bug where Nihilus could reduce his speed to 0. Players who intentionally did that to solo the phase and get high scores were exploiting. Exploiting is generally against Terms of Service.

Using Palpatine squads to defeat Darth Revan is not an exploit - it is literally how the skills were designed.
    Everyone could see this coming. If you couldn’t, you weren’t paying attention. I for one love the change. Malak is the single hardest character to get. It requires two Journey characters, 8 other characters with at least 17,500 power, and one of the hardest, if not the hardest, events to date. Then once you actually have Malak, you have to spend 70,000 guild currency to 7 star him and he takes 4 of the new gear pieces which equates to 11,200 crystals. It shouldn’t be countered by a meta/character from a year and a half ago. What is the point of obtaining these super hard characters if they are super easy to counter?

Im with this guy.
    I love the changes.
    SAss is still great against anything, but the very top meta. Seems reasonable for a character that was released years ago.

Do you also love the precedent it sets, that when a ftp countermeta emerges, it gets immediately stomped to the ground?
    Or the message sent by such a quick reaction for this while some bugs are left to fester for months?

Yes. Arena should be dominated by the most powerful team that requires great planning to get first occasion or $$$.
    Copying someone who found an exploit with a character that everyone has, is not equal value as great planning.

Everyone hates bugs, and this game has a lot. I dont see how Malak makes CG's QA process worse.

It's not an exploit. The DR team's abilities revolve around EP's signature debuff. Why was shock chosen as one of the key mechanics for SE abilities if EP is not supposed to benefit from it?

That is an exploit.

How could they not see this coming? Honestly?

They're probably pretty bad at their job.
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    That is an exploit.

In the context of a multiplayer game, an "exploit" is considered gaining a personal advantage over other players through the use of a known in-game bug.

Using Palpatine squads to defeat Darth Revan is not an exploit - it is literally how the skills were designed.

It wasnt designed that way. The devs clearly said that it was not the intention.

If a mechanic is against the will of the developer and you're using it to profit yourself (get more crystal payout), thats exactly an exploit.
  • ...at this point, who would buy anything from these guys after all the changes they make after release?

And that's why these moves aren't smart...and don't create a sustainable income flow. I've spent a few pounds on this game, but won't anymore because it's not worth it, decisions taken by EA/CG make it not worth it. Now...imagine if I'd have spent thousands of pounds. Not a chance I'd keep that up.

Ive been playing since March 18' and have just a tad over $4k invested in the game. The majority of that stopped after I saw a g7 Bastila lead jedi team curbstomp my full g12+ ep/Sith team. I might have maybe $500 direct since then but DR is the last toon I give a penny on.

Exactly.

They can afford to lose my pounds...they can't afford to lose your thousands of dollars. And I don't think this is an error on their part - they're not stupid. I think it's a desperate and calculated cash-grab before the whole thing is put out of it's misery.
  • I spent money to gear up marauder and sith assasin, as they were both sith empire. Now with malak changed, they will be pretty useless at the top of the arena. Can we expect gear refund?

Im with this guy.
    I love the changes.

That is an exploit.

When you see "shock", the first thing you should think of is Palpatine. His basic ability defines the mechanic.
    Geshtianna wrote: »

Im with this guy.
    I love the changes.

That is an exploit.

When you see "shock", the first thing you should think of is Palpatine. His basic ability defines the mechanic.

Chronologically, Kotor used shock much earlier than palpatine did.
  • I spent money to gear up marauder and sith assasin, as they were both sith empire. Now with malak changed, they will be pretty useless at the top of the arena. Can we expect gear refund?

That may not be in vain yet - the next fleet meta will probably be sith, requiring exactly these characters.
  • AnnerDoon wrote: »
    AnnerDoon wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    So all the stuff @CG_Carrie said in the road ahead 5 days ago about "variety in the meta" and "more balance" - was that a mistake? Or just an outright lie?

It was obviously a lie.

The cake is a lie

There is no cake.

There really was a cake

cakeordeath.gif
  • I know I'm not the sharpest stick in the woods but I'm confused...

Genuine question - what point is there farming any characters anymore?

Once they're good, they get nerfed. Am I missing something? Apart from the fairly obvious fact that CG/EA don't want anyone farming characters anymore...they want them buying characters.

Exactly. And at this point, who would buy anything from these guys after all the changes they make after release? I'm a small business owner and even I have no idea what they are doing anymore. You want to keep customers happy, not slap them in the the face after they paid you!

You gonna buy something or just stand there and bleed?
    S1YM0Oh.gif
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    SmashItUp wrote: »
    To be honest I don't even care if they back off from this nonsense decision.

If they were tourquing a bolt on an engine, they would just strip it and back it off half a turn. Why bother with specs.

Reddit is catching fire, one thread has almost 900 upvotes.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/bdnf33/cgs_latest_fixshows_they_dont_care_for_the_games/

Funny they don't make mega threads there.. lol
    Megathreads are great! Everyone doesn’t need their own soapbox to say the same thing when they can say it at one place. Reduces clutter and we can talk about other things too
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Crynus wrote: »
    Orleans wrote: »
    Finally mods matter a bit more. Thanks for that! Drevan with Malak getting hit by G9 Palp shouldn't happen at all.

Poor whale, don't like having a counter to your shiny new toy , lmao

smh at entitled ftp.

starting to miss cyan
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    That is an exploit.

It wasnt designed that way. The devs clearly said that it was not the intention.

If a mechanic is against the will of the developer and you're using it to profit yourself (get more crystal payout), thats exactly an exploit.

@Roopehunter You're basing that off of a single line in the original Malak rework post about him "not performing as intended." You have zero knowledge of what that intended performance was and it has yet to be clarified.

To be intellectually honest with yourself, if the intention was for Revan led Sith Empire to mitigate the effects of EPs lead - DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY PROVIDE THEIR OWN DEBUFFS - then such a mitigating clause would be part of a Darth Revan unique, not the "final" character to complete the prescribed meta.

Feel free defending this all you want, for whatever personal reasons you have, but at least be honest about the reasons you're doing it. Calling an existing leadership skill an exploit is either ignorant of the definition of exploit or willfully dishonest. I think they underestimated the significance of the TM gain and thought the speed boost from ferocity would overcome it. Ooops. Once their play testers (and by that, I mean the player base) got a hold of it, things turned out differently than expected.

I have Malak. I have a dog in this fight and I still think it's a horrible decision and points to a decision making process that is bereft of good intent.
  • Agree. All Sith Assassin gear should be refunded. Why even bother tagging Sith Assassin with Sith Empire if you were planning on ruining her kit? Shameful.
  • This is just the latest deuce dropped on us. This is obviously a trend now and everyone should be expecting these things from the game. Spend your hard earned m***y on someone you care about and not here. I stopped caring long ago. And if i get banned, so be it.
    Finis edition am i
  • I geared SAss from g8 to g12 after I got Darth Revan, please refund all my gear, she's now totally useless on this team.
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    I would like to be able to counter DR Malak teams without using JKR or mirror match. Aside from EP lead, I don't think anyone has found anything and that is what really hurts the most about this update.

Against full SE, full zeta DR teams, there is only one non-mirror counter now. That is not enough.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    nemban wrote: »
    Agree. All Sith Assassin gear should be refunded. Why even bother tagging Sith Assassin with Sith Empire if you were planning on ruining her kit? Shameful.

And this is exactly the arguement I'll be using when asking for all of my Revan spend back.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

No, it *was* designed that way. The Code in the game was written such that Palpatine lead gains a ton of turn meter when attacking a Darth Revan squad. Players don't need to go out of their way to subvert any game mechanics in order to make that happen - they just choose a very common leader and play the game normally.

The Devs are now saying that they don't WANT Palpatine to be a counter to Darth Revan with Malak, so they are changing it. It doesn't mean that players using Palpatine right now, or who will use Palpatine versus Malak-less Darth Revan squads in the future, are exploiting. Remember - this change is built into Malak, so players who don't have Malak will still be just as vulnerable to Palpatine leads.

So since they aren't changing Palpatine's functionality, and they are literally only changing Malak to prevent Palpatine from beating squads with Malak, then obviously using Palpatine to defeat Darth Revan is not an exploit. They are still leaving it in the game!