Regarding Changes to Malak- Sith Assasin

Replies

• I didn’t bother dumping resources into Assassin or Marauder because Malak was teased in the DR event so it was obvious he was coming and would be better than generic, no-name characters.
  • I am bloody livid. I spent bucks on buying G12.5 for my sith assasin to compete as it looked like i needed speed meta. I want all of my gear refunded for any sith TM based char so that I can make an informed choice or I'm going to Apple to ask for a refund for my last 3 months spent on this game. I know they don't give a rats as I am classified a dolphin and not a whale who spends at the top 1% but this change really is a kick in the balls.
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."

That is a stupid hyperbolic example. Those are all far more useful characters than Assassin, with the possible exception of Rey. Also, those are evolutions over time. The game did not tell anyone to get them. Players figured it out. The devs told people that Sith Assassin would be good to upgrade, and now she is useless for the team.
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    The game evolving over time, and a character that was changed days after he is released to purposely destroy the best strategy people came up with are two different things. I'm very happy with lots of characters that I geared up, got to use in arena for a few months, then pushed to the back burner after I got plenty of use out of them. Anyone who put g12+ pieces on Vader and Sith Assassin got a few days of use got short changed. That kind of thing feels like a kick in the groin, and makes customers cautious about spending. CG won't do anything about it though, because they don't care about how they treat their customers.

So what you're saying is...if Malak's kit had included the "Sith enemies can't gain bonus turn meter" on initial release, nobody would be complaining about Assassin?

Which is the main concern - that his kit was changed so quickly, or that his kit will shut down enemy Sith tm gain?

Where are the concerns about Vader being neutralized by Malak's application of fear when he uses Force Crush? Shouldn't we all get a Vader refund now that he's worthless?

Vader is not a character that CG just promoted and recommended that we gear up a couple of weeks ago.
  • Tautas
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I have Darth Revan and I have Malak, - and only due to this reason I invested in Sith Assasin. I have 324 speed Assasin with 2 gears 12+. I put them just few days before the release of anouncement that they gonna make trash unit from sith assasin.

While I even don't mind the gearing to 12 gear ( i have many gear 12 units), I am furious about gear 12+, because it is a treasure. In their own prices - it cost 6500 crystal each. So they just robbed me 13,000 crystals, just counting gear 12+.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    DarkLord7 wrote: »
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Don't forget everyone should get a refund of Scavenger Rey, since C3PO replaces her in the Heroic Sith raid p1 squd. Oh, and a refund for all gear in Resistance Trooper because he's been replaced by Finn now. Let's refund Jedi Knight Revan, since he's been replaced by Darth Revan, so now he's worthless.

Or maybe...just maybe...we realize that the game changes and evolves, and that just because a character isn't useful in one specific circumstance (which is literally only not valuable attacking teams with Malak) - that doesn't mean the character is "useless" and "wasted."

That is a stupid hyperbolic example. Those are all far more useful characters than Assassin, with the possible exception of Rey. Also, those are evolutions over time. The game did not tell anyone to get them. Players figured it out. The devs told people that Sith Assassin would be good to upgrade, and now she is useless for the team.

Of course it’s hyperbole - to try and make people realize that what they are asking for in a sith assassin refund is very similar. And by using an over-the-top example that everyone agrees is silly, I hope to help people see that their request is almost as silly.

And no - sith assassin is only limited in scope when fighting Darth Revan teams that use Malak, as long as Malak is alive. To me, such a tiny overall impact does not render a character useless. I’ve already figured out the squad strategies to defeat players with faster mods than me. Speed is helpful (as always) but is not the single indicator of victory in these matchups.
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Well, I'll definitely open up my 2nd ticket ever if they don't change Malaks interaction with Sass (or rather b-slap on poor Sass) as I geared her up from G11 to G12 (bottom left and right pieces) aswell as giving her both G12+ pieces for obvious reason. Despite her still being useful for other sith lineups and raid purpose, this is NOT what I geared her up for and I think there are plenty of people who did the same.

You can do that...but I doubt anything will happen. They have refunded 2 zetas ever that I can remember - Daka and Finn. In neither case did they offer to refund any gear that players invested in those characters.

The *only situation* that I could see even the slightest chance is if you happened to apply all the gear in between Malak kit being teased, and the rework being announced, and justifying it as "I only committed the gear after seeing Malak's kit, and it's not fair to change it so soon."

If you invested in Sith Assassin before Malak's kit was released, then the "rework" doesn't matter - you're just the victim of the newest meta toon, making certain other toons less valuable.

I think Barriss' zeta was also refunded, but I don't remember the circumstances behind that. Someone else can surely chime in on that.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    ThisYeezy wrote: »
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Well, I'll definitely open up my 2nd ticket ever if they don't change Malaks interaction with Sass (or rather b-slap on poor Sass) as I geared her up from G11 to G12 (bottom left and right pieces) aswell as giving her both G12+ pieces for obvious reason. Despite her still being useful for other sith lineups and raid purpose, this is NOT what I geared her up for and I think there are plenty of people who did the same.

You can do that...but I doubt anything will happen. They have refunded 2 zetas ever that I can remember - Daka and Finn. In neither case did they offer to refund any gear that players invested in those characters.

The *only situation* that I could see even the slightest chance is if you happened to apply all the gear in between Malak kit being teased, and the rework being announced, and justifying it as "I only committed the gear after seeing Malak's kit, and it's not fair to change it so soon."

If you invested in Sith Assassin before Malak's kit was released, then the "rework" doesn't matter - you're just the victim of the newest meta toon, making certain other toons less valuable.

I think Barriss' zeta was also refunded, but I don't remember the circumstances behind that. Someone else can surely chime in on that.

Barris Zeta used to persist even after her death. This was corrected and refunded.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Refund. Now.
    jkray622 needs analogy lessons.

The real problem is the people who liked that trolls post, obviously a children's account with Forums access and posting a very trolly comment, yet seven likes? Now those are the real people to worry about.

This Malak change hurts so many Sith, and SA was just recently brought out to light, yet CG once again pulls the rug under people.

Though maybe its our fault for thinking CG devs could actually be competent?
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

Of course it’s hyperbole - to try and make people realize that what they are asking for in a sith assassin refund is very similar. And by using an over-the-top example that everyone agrees is silly, I hope to help people see that their request is almost as silly.

I see that you don't understand how logic or hyperbole works. You're making a straw man... or trolling.

And no - sith assassin is only limited in scope when fighting Darth Revan teams that use Malak, as long as Malak is alive. To me, such a tiny overall impact does not render a character useless. I’ve already figured out the squad strategies to defeat players with faster mods than me. Speed is helpful (as always) but is not the single indicator of victory in these matchups.

She is useless in exactly the only place many people intended to use her who geared her up in the past 2 weeks.

I've had her at g12 for a long time. She's useless trash everywhere. Useless in arena. Useless in raids. Pure garbage. I need 14 teams minimum in grand arena in my GP bracket, and she still usually sit on the bench. That's 70 characters including some g10s that are more useful than a g12 SA. But that's on me.

Others saw her recommended by CG as good with Revan, and geared her up in the last 2 weeks ONLY to use at the top end in arena. Then the rules are changed days later to purposefully kill off a good strategy that the devs didn't like, and SA was collateral damage. She might be acceptable cannon fodder elsewhere, but that's not why they geared her up. She's garbage exactly where they intended to use her. Those people got shafted, and they should be angry.

Also, the fact that there are other strategies besides speed to win is irrelevant. Further proof you don't understand logic. Hopefully the devs see whatever strategy you are using, wait a few days for you to spend some brutally difficult to acquire resources on it, then tweak the kit again to invalidate your strategy.
  • When Darth Revan was announced they showed sith assassin being one of the toons that would work with that team. I decided to gear her up.

Malak changed that.

Malek almost feels like a last minute release designed for the sole purpose of making cg so many dollars before the weekend ended. Almost as if they had to reach a certain quota of income or someone was gonna lose their job.

Doesn’t seem like much testing was since considering it was announced he was getting a rework soon as the weekend was almost over.

I don’t know what to think about this company anymore. They don’t seem to care about anything but money now. And that’s fine...but eventually players are gonna just stop spending and/or walk away.
  • Lots of complaints but this its time hard to argue against as they shot themselves in the foot with the synergy chart.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Sneekypete wrote: »
    Lots of complaints but this its time hard to argue against as they shot themselves in the foot with the synergy chart.

Does Vader have synergy with Emperor Palpatine? Yes. Was he advertised as such? Yes.

Does Vader have synergy with Emperor Palpatine when facing a Bastila (light) Jedi squad? Pretty much no - the extra tenacity makes Vader apply usually no debuffs, so he can't start the tm train.

So...is this false advertising? Vader doesn't have synergy with Palpatine against every single squad you might possible face!

Assassin still has great synergy with Darth Revan. All the effects of Revan leadership with Sith Empire still trigger for Sith Assassin. The one ability that Assassin has that grants turn meter will simply not work when opposing a squad with Malak in it.
  • The problem is the “fix” to malek. Make malek better by making malek better, not by making other characters worse. Then no one is asking for a refund or saying CG **** on f2p players. He was created for the whales, make him a whale.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

I see that you don't understand how logic or hyperbole works. You're making a straw man... or trolling.

I understand both, apparently better than you do:
    Hyperbole - "exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." - exactly what my statements about refunding Scav Rey, RT, or JKR are.
    Straw Man - an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument. -- I am not setting up the "refund Jedi Revan" proposal as a Straw Man.

I am also not trolling - I am trying to help people who are raging about the change because they feel personally slighted understand why their "demands" are unreasonable. They believe it's justified because of their anger, not because of logic. If a person's anger justified bad decisions, then manslaughter would be legal.

There's an anecdote ascribed to several people, including Winston Churchill. The actual origin isn't known, but for the purposes of the anecdote, we will just use Churchill.
    He met a beautiful woman and asked her if she would sleep with him for 1 million pounds. She thought about it, then reluctantly agreed. He then asked her if she would sleep with him for 5 pounds. She got really offended, and asked him "What sort of woman do you think I am?" to which he replied "We have already determined that - now we are just haggling over price."

Players demanding an Assassin refund just haven't made the logical connection that it's the same as asking for a Jedi Knight Revan refund. It's slightly different in scope (e.g. it's the 5 pounds rather than the 1M pounds), but it's the same request. I was hoping that by using hyperbole to demonstrate the ridiculous nature of the demand, and then comparing the Assassin/Revan demands to show how similar they are, players would actually contemplate what they are asking, and see how silly the Assassin refund demands are.

She is useless in exactly the only place many people intended to use her who geared her up in the past 2 weeks.

I've had her at g12 for a long time. She's useless trash everywhere. Useless in arena. Useless in raids. Pure garbage. I need 14 teams minimum in grand arena in my GP bracket, and she still usually sit on the bench. That's 70 characters including some g10s that are more useful than a g12 SA. But that's on me.

Others saw her recommended by CG as good with Revan, and geared her up in the last 2 weeks ONLY to use at the top end in arena. Then the rules are changed days later to purposefully kill off a good strategy that the devs didn't like, and SA was collateral damage. She might be acceptable cannon fodder elsewhere, but that's not why they geared her up. She's garbage exactly where they intended to use her. Those people got shafted, and they should be angry.

She is still useful with Revan, just not against squads that have Malak. Until Malak was released, nobody needed to gear Assassin up just to beat him, because he didn't exist. There is only a tiny little window in which players might have decided "the only way I can beat Malak is if I gear up Assassin and hope that this one skill will push me over the edge where I can win."

The synergies that Assassin has with Revan all still exist - she's one of the only Sith Empire toons in the game who can gain advantages from Revan, and if the squad is all Sith Empire they gain 50% Crit Damage. She can't be stunned or ability blocked, she removes Foresight on her turn. All of these things are still true.

Is it frustrating that players spent gear on a toon that isn't valuable against the current top meta team? Yes. I get it - I just finished gearing Assassin up too, and here comes Malak. But now I use her on my Palpatine or Traya squad in TW and GA. Depending on your roster, you may or may not have a spot for her right now, but she is a decent toon when paired with other Sith. Maybe if I eventually zeta Maul, that'll be the best home for her in TW/GA.
    Also, the fact that there are other strategies besides speed to win is irrelevant. Further proof you don't understand logic. Hopefully the devs see whatever strategy you are using, wait a few days for you to spend some brutally difficult to acquire resources on it, then tweak the kit again to invalidate your strategy.

Further proof that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The entire reason people were gearing Assassin was to get a turn meter jump on their opponents. Without that jump, they believed they couldn't win. This is why people are angry. They believe that only if they can be the fastest can they win, which is why they geared Assassin. Developing new strategies is vital to long-term success. My comments on this are relevant to the conversation for this reason.

Anytime you apply gear or a zeta to a character, you know it's just for temporary value. Is it for days, weeks, months, years? We don't know, because we don't know how the meta will shift. My advice to all players? Apply gear and zetas where it's relevant today. Once it's spent, it's spent, and never expect it back. On the off-chance that the Devs refund it (like recently with Finn zeta), consider that to be a happy, unexpected bonus.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Lots of complaints but this its time hard to argue against as they shot themselves in the foot with the synergy chart.
    The one ability that Assassin has that grants turn meter will simply not work when opposing a squad with Malak in it.

That one ability was the ONLY ONLY ONLY reason a bunch of people geared her up just in time for a targeted nerf days later in the only situation they intended to use it. Seems like they should be happy customers.
  • I do find it interesting that it seems as though people's perspective on SA starts and ends with arena viability so much so that someone said she was garbage. She's great in an EP team as long as you don't match up against a team with Malek. EP team with SA is still completely viable in Grand Arena. zEP is an old meta anyway and shouldn't be expected to take on the newly released meta toon. That's just how power creep works. Thankfully CG takes care to bring in casual reworks to make a plethora of B teams and a really fun and awesome place to utilize them(Grand Arena). They do this much better than other games that just leave the meta of old behind with zero use.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Exletion wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that it seems as though people's perspective on SA starts and ends with arena viability so much so that someone said she was garbage. She's great in an EP team as long as you don't match up against a team with Malek. EP team with SA is still completely viable in Grand Arena. zEP is an old meta anyway and shouldn't be expected to take on the newly released meta toon. That's just how power creep works. Thankfully CG takes care to bring in casual reworks to make a plethora of B teams and a really fun and awesome place to utilize them(Grand Arena). They do this much better than other games that just leave the meta of old behind with zero use.

We aren't talking about power creep. That is a gradual process that takes months usually, and everyone should be OK with that. We are talking about a kit change days after release days after a character release for the sole purpose of screwing people who only geared up a character for one reason.

Her uses elsewhere are irrelevant. They were not compelling enough to get some people to gear her. If you are in the small set of people who only geared her for one purpose and you got to use her for that one purpose maybe half a dozen times before it was targeted for being invalidated in the only place you wanted to use her, that is a reason to be irritated. It's also NOT the same thing as power creep.

And I've had her g12 since a few months after she became farmable. She is garbage. But THAT doesn't bother me, because I geared her a long time ago when she was kinda decent. That's power creep. That's fine. Not the same thing.
  • The problem is the “fix” to malek. Make malek better by making malek better, not by making other characters worse. Then no one is asking for a refund or saying CG **** on f2p players. He was created for the whales, make him a whale.

I dont know a malek
  • Tautas
    87 posts Member
    Exletion wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that it seems as though people's perspective on SA starts and ends with arena viability so much so that someone said she was garbage. She's great in an EP team as long as you don't match up against a team with Malek. EP team with SA is still completely viable in Grand Arena. zEP is an old meta anyway and shouldn't be expected to take on the newly released meta toon. That's just how power creep works. Thankfully CG takes care to bring in casual reworks to make a plethora of B teams and a really fun and awesome place to utilize them(Grand Arena). They do this much better than other games that just leave the meta of old behind with zero use.

I have all units, and most of them could be also used somethere. Those who buy crystal doing that mostly for arena. So if sith assasin is totally nerfed in arena, she is still trash in my eyes.

They released sith assasin as good synergy with Revan, I even waited for Malak to see his kit. After Malak release, I boosted sith assasin and shortly after they changing already released units skills. Game delevopers literally robbed me.

I'm confused.. they did make Malak better by modifying his kit. They didn't change a thing in zEP or SA's kit. Those characters simply cannot really be used against Malak, but they can be used against every other team you will face in TW or GA just the same as today.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    The one ability that Assassin has that grants turn meter will simply not work when opposing a squad with Malak in it.

That one ability was the ONLY ONLY ONLY reason a bunch of people geared her up just in time for a targeted nerf days later in the only situation they intended to use it. Seems like they should be happy customers.

Did they ONLY ONLY ONLY gear her up to defeat Malak? Or did some of them gear her up to defeat Revan pre-Malak? Or because their mods were terrible enough that they struggled to defeat Jedi Revan without using Assassin?

How many people exactly geared Sith Assassin up between Malak kit being originally announced, and the announcement of his new kit? You claim a bunch - I'd love to know your sources. Is that the window in which you geared her? And even if you did, why are you extrapolating your personal experience to "a bunch of people."

For someone so concerned with "logic", I'd expect fewer hasty generalizations.
  • Why is everyone talking about only sass? Marauder is getting neutered just as badly. I want my gear/credits/ability mats back for BOTH characters.
  • Let alone all the cantina energy I used to farm both of them from 3*-7*...
  • GiantFen wrote: »
    Why is everyone talking about only sass? Marauder is getting neutered just as badly. I want my gear/credits/ability mats back for BOTH characters.

Lol u say murader technically yes but how much bonus tm does murader get now while fighting a dr team with murader? Its 0 bonus tm cause he only gets it for out of turn attacks so theres 0 effect on it vs malak.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

Did they ONLY ONLY ONLY gear her up to defeat Malak? Or did some of them gear her up to defeat Revan pre-Malak? Or because their mods were terrible enough that they struggled to defeat Jedi Revan without using Assassin?

How many people exactly geared Sith Assassin up between Malak kit being originally announced, and the announcement of his new kit? You claim a bunch - I'd love to know your sources. Is that the window in which you geared her? And even if you did, why are you extrapolating your personal experience to "a bunch of people."

For someone so concerned with "logic", I'd expect fewer hasty generalizations.

Not extrapolating my personal experience. I have said several times I had her geared long ago.

I don't have a number, but a bunch is a pretty vague term. I know it higher than zero. I know that in a game played by hundreds of thousands that seeing several people in my guild, and several people in my arena chat who did (if we assume that's an even quasi-representative sample) multiplied by however many guilds and arena shards there are is a number higher than zero.

And as for your other question, I don't see what you're getting at. She was not the optimal choice against JKR. If you geared her to make sure your whole Sith Empire squad got to go before the other Sith Empire squad (which I believe we can agree is a number of people higher than zero) then you got shafted a few days later.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    This constant request for refunds is getting old. Learn to perhaps wait a week or two before you purchase that next shiney thing?

After getting a crappy "slime gun" with his own money, even my 6 year old now asks "Dad I want this toy - lets look up the stars and watch some videos."

Anyway Sass is very useful on a Maul team no matter what.

I'm even more convinced now there are only 6 real posters on this forum and the rest of you are just forum bots set to "troll" setting.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    GiantFen wrote: »
    Why is everyone talking about only sass? Marauder is getting neutered just as badly. I want my gear/credits/ability mats back for BOTH characters.

Lol u say murader technically yes but how much bonus tm does murader get now while fighting a dr team with murader? Its 0 bonus tm cause he only gets it for out of turn attacks so theres 0 effect on it vs malak.

Marauder will gain some turn meter if there's an enemy Sith Trooper who counterattacks a couple of times. However, Maurader is still pretty awesome when he starts critting for 150k after a couple of turns. No regrets.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    This constant request for refunds is getting old. Learn to perhaps wait a week or two before you purchase that next shiney thing?

That's the whole point. I'm not suggesting a refund. I'm saying that if your customers need to be that vigilant about not getting shafted then it might not be an ideal way to treat them if you want loyal repeat business.