Can you believe this person is in charge?

Replies

• leef
    11931 posts Member
    Jarungo wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    Here I've highlighted the direct question, followed by the answer.

If she wasn't implying what she meant, she would've simply said; "no we don't expect people to spend 4-5k to remain competitive".

To some "degree" imply a "measure" -- by definition, the ballpark measure implied was 4-5k, she said to some "degree" that measure is essentially accurate if you want to be the tip of the spear, is what she is saying.

Let's not play with semantics and words here, that's totally what she meant to say.

in a game where quite a few players spend 10k easily, why wouldn't she expect that some players will spend 4k to catch up?
    ps. your twisting her words, not sure if that's intentional. catch up =/= remain competitive

catch up to remain competitive.

read the question, and enough with the semantics.

catch up to remain competititive, haha.

Yeah as in they've already spend 1000$, they can't stay competitive because some people spend over 4-5k she's asking if that's a good measure to catch up and remain competitive, is what she is essentially saying. The tweet is kind of confusing without context.

right, makes perfect sense. haha
    So what exactly did she admit to expect to some degree, that players spend 4k to catch up, or to remain competitive once they've caught up, or players who couldn't remain competitive who had to catch up in order to be competitive again?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    But this is the game and the pricing model that they have chosen. It hasn’t changed in the past 3+ years and it probably won’t change ever.
    I agree with that, I believe the concern is they keep pushing this envelope further and further along.

The truth is, if they choose to go with this model - then they should expect a very unhappy player base every single time they change the rules at the drop of a hat.

This approach to pricing models creates the least good will possible for a games developer, where as I view RIOT games very fondly. Ironically a game which I've spent a large sum of money on (far more than on SWGOH) - but I don't begrudge because it always felt entirely optional & not required to play competitively.
  • Jarvind
    1716 posts Member
    What is relevant here is that the developers believe you should have to spend 4000$ a year to remain competitive, that alone says a lot about how they implement new features and design content. Whether or not you don't have to is a different debate.

She didn't say that. I find the Malak release as distasteful as anyone (and I got him, even) but you clearly didn't make any effort to understand what was being said and just want to yell about things.
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    But this is the game and the pricing model that they have chosen. It hasn’t changed in the past 3+ years and it probably won’t change ever.
    I agree with that, I believe the concern is they keep pushing this envelope further and further along.

The truth is, if they choose to go with this model - then they should expect a very unhappy player base every single time they change the rules at the drop of a hat.

This approach to pricing models creates the least good will possible for a games developer, where as I view RIOT games very fondly. Ironically a game which I've spent a large sum of money on (far more than on SWGOH) - but I don't begrudge because it always felt entirely optional & not required to play competitively.

I believe, that in the eyes of EA:

Unhappy player base begrudgingly spending lots of money > happy player base spending less money.

They have the data and the metrics, and it is clearly telling them that this approach is achieving its intent.
    For the record, I happen to agree that it’s predatory. But my opinion is worth less that the $1M worth of crystals that their latest scheme brought in, so I have a pretty good guess as to which speaks more loudly to them.
  • Jarungo
    25 posts Member
    edited April 18

If she wasn't implying what she meant, she would've simply said; "no we don't expect people to spend 4-5k to remain competitive".

To some "degree" is defined by a "measure" -- by definition, the ballpark measure asked was "4-5k". She said to "some degree" that measure is essentially accurate if you want to be the tip of the spear, is what she is saying.

Let's not play with semantics, definitions and words here, that's totally what she meant to say.

e8avkdme1yf2.jpg

You're the one playing with semantics. It's clear to most of us what was meant by the tweet. You, however, are bending over backwards to read a ridiculous message into it. You keep putting in your own words - 'average player', 'stay competitive' - and insisting that's what Carrie meant.

If you're that angry, leave. I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is other than to flame a developer. That is not constructive. I've probably done more than you to express my displeasure at Malak's release by not buying him. If you expect change in release patterns, you need to use your wallet to achieve that, not personal attacks on CG's staff - who I believe are all hard-working. They might have different interests from us but that's the nature of all customer-business relations, and this is not a small intimate game, it's a major title run by a big company. Expecting anything different is foolish.

So exposing their predatory pricing practice is not being constructive, should I just endorse it and stay quiet? I don't care what you did to contribute to the game, your appeal from authority is a fallacy. All feedback should be welcome, in no way shape or form my goal was to attack her work or contribution to the game. I'm sure the developers all work very hard at publishing the vision of George Lucas. Not that I share this sentiment when the game is constantly reminding you to spend money as you log-in.

I just find it hard to believe a person that think players should have to spend 4-5k to be the tip of the spear is in charge of the development of this game. It's not an attack but simply put criticism and an observe at best, good on you if you don't want to spend money on the game. I'm glad to hear you decided to vote with your wallet, unfortunately that's simply not enough in the world of video game development.

Look at Star Wars Battlefront II, they'd still be milking and selling loot boxes if people didn't voice out their opinions on social medias like reddit.

You don't stay quiet or simply pretend the problem is non existent.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    You actually think she is in charge? She is just the poor person hired to be the punching bag for an angry fan base. I agree that her comments could be better. But, I don't like singling her out over and over when she is just a worker bee for a predatory corporation.

Is Tarkin a good guy because he only works for the Emperor?

Good grief. She isn't killing people. It's just a game. It's not her fault I let myself get cheated and wasted my money. I'm mad but I'm not ready to take up pitchforks against the first person that works for CG. She's just trying to make a living. Albeit for a company that rips people off. I'm just not a fan of singling her out personally over and over. Asking legitimate questions about her Twitter posts is perfectly acceptable, however. But, this is turning into personal attacks against her.

She's still actively participating in EA's predatory practices so she isn't entirely blameless either...

Sticking with McDonald's analogies - attacking her is a bit like attacking Ronald McDonald because McDonald's made you fat. Don't shoot the messenger.
  • Nauros
    2345 posts Member
    You actually think she is in charge? She is just the poor person hired to be the punching bag for an angry fan base. I agree that her comments could be better. But, I don't like singling her out over and over when she is just a worker bee for a predatory corporation.

Good grief. She isn't killing people. It's just a game. It's not her fault I let myself get cheated and wasted my money. I'm mad but I'm not ready to take up pitchforks against the first person that works for CG. She's just trying to make a living. Albeit for a company that rips people off. I'm just not a fan of singling her out personally over and over. Asking legitimate questions about her Twitter posts is perfectly acceptable, however. But, this is turning into personal attacks against her.

She's still actively participating in EA's predatory practices so she isn't entirely blameless either...

Sticking with McDonald's analogies - attacking her is a bit like attacking Ronald McDonald because McDonald's made you fat. Don't shoot the messenger.

If someone knows about the shady practices of their employer (and she has to know) and still play along, they are part of the problem.
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • KueChael
    738 posts Moderator
    edited April 18
    If someone started the game recently up to 6 months ago, and they wanted to “catch up “ to those that started in 2015/2016. I agree, they would be expected to pay 4-5 k to catch up to those who started the game when it first started. (They are on the tip of the spear.) the game is a collection game that takes time and resources. The only way around this is using money to push through the barriers.
    Chasing the newest thing is fun, but when a roster is not as full as others it becomes harder. Full rosters and high gp are rewarded through TB, TW and raids.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Well, at least we can agree that the communication is improving. Now they are honest about the game being a blatant cash grab.

This. And she's not "in charge", silly.
  • You actually think she is in charge? She is just the poor person hired to be the punching bag for an angry fan base.

Oh, you beat me to it. I'd written my post before reading yours.

• leef
    11931 posts Member

If someone knows about the shady practices of their employer (and she has to know) and still play along, they are part of the problem.

"part of the problem" lol
    It's not exactly unknown how freemium games work, or how ea opperates. Yet we're all playing the game and ea was given the contract. Seems to me everone is part of the problem.
  • Jarvind
    1716 posts Member

Spoken like someone who's never had a real job.
  • Blackbeardpepe
    1149 posts Member
    edited April 18
    Sorry OP,

I don't care. You can either follow the five pillars from warrior and get all the characters in 1-2 years or spend thousands now. I've played this game for 2 years and 5 months, and do not want someone new to get all the good stuff unless they pony up good money.

I'm not f2p, at all. Not in any form. Just my thoughts.
  • Jarungo
    25 posts Member
    edited April 18
    The "Tip of the Spear" doesn't mean whales. It means the people capable of getting to 1st regularly in both squad and fleet. Those people earn 900 crystals per day. They get almost a zeta mat per day. They get 50% more squad arena tokens. They get double the fleet currency. These people then also do better in GA and raids, getting even further ahead..

All of that extra stuff makes it to where it's not too difficult to stay at the tip of the spear, no money required. What's she is saying is that the easiest way to get to the tip of the spear is to buy your way there and expect to spend 4-5k to be competitive. If you want to remain competitive, then expect to spend a lot of money as more content is pumped gradually.

It's just an eloquent way of giving us the middle finger.
    Post edited by Jarungo on
  • Ultra
    2549 posts Member

I hope you are a vegan or grow your own livestock because eating meat where animals were treated inhumanely makes you part of the problem
  • Jarungo wrote: »
    The "Tip of the Spear" doesn't mean whales. It means the people capable of getting to 1st regularly in both squad and fleet. Those people earn 900 crystals per day. They get almost a zeta mat per day. They get 50% more squad arena tokens. They get double the fleet currency. These people then also do better in GA and raids, getting even further ahead..

All of that extra stuff makes it to where it's not too difficult to stay at the tip of the spear, no money required. What's she is saying is that the easiest way to get to the tip of the spear is to buy your way there and expect to spend 4-5k to be competitive.

There is no way it cost $4k to get to, and stay at, #1 in a new arena shard (both squad and fleet).
  • Javin37
    347 posts Member

To some "degree" is defined by a "measure" -- by definition, the ballpark measure asked was "4-5k". She said to "some degree" that measure is essentially accurate if you want to be the tip of the spear, is what she is saying.

Let's not play with semantics, definitions and words here, that's totally what she meant to say.

e8avkdme1yf2.jpg

You're the one playing with semantics. It's clear to most of us what was meant by the tweet. You, however, are bending over backwards to read a ridiculous message into it. You keep putting in your own words - 'average player', 'stay competitive' - and insisting that's what Carrie meant.

If you're that angry, leave. I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is other than to flame a developer. That is not constructive. I've probably done more than you to express my displeasure at Malak's release by not buying him. If you expect change in release patterns, you need to use your wallet to achieve that, not personal attacks on CG's staff - who I believe are all hard-working. They might have different interests from us but that's the nature of all customer-business relations, and this is not a small intimate game, it's a major title run by a big company. Expecting anything different is foolish.

So exposing their predatory pricing practice is not being constructive, should I just endorse it and stay quiet? I don't care what you did to contribute to the game, your appeal from authority is a fallacy. All feedback should be welcome, in no way shape or form my goal was to attack her work or contribution to the game. I'm sure the developers all work very hard at publishing the vision of George Lucas. Not that I share this sentiment when the game is constantly reminding you to spend money as you log-in.

I just find it hard to believe a person that believe players should have to spend 4-5k to be the tip of the spear is in charge of the development of this game. It's not an attack but simply put criticism, good on you if you don't want to spend money on the game, I'm glad to hear you decided to vote with your wallet, unfortunately that's simply not enough in the world of video game development.

Look at Star Wars Battlefront II, they'd still be milking and selling loot boxes if people didn't voice out their opinions on social medias like reddit.

You don't stay quiet or simply pretend the problem is non existent.

What the complaint should be is that this model (and this isn't the only game using it) that is gambling...without actually being legally defined as gambling...and kids play it. That's the major issue that I'm sure will one day become more understood...after a few horror stories make national news.

Adults should know better. ftp can enjoy the game without concern...or plan and hoard to be competitive.
    Those with means will drop any amount and they do so constantly. I know a few guys that spend 1000s and I am guessing there are many more I don't know.

I'm ftp...I have malak. I had JKR first release. I missed chewie first release to focus on JKR. I won't have a 7 star falcon even on this 2nd release because I wanted DR and Malak. I'm fine with that. I don't need to be 1st in ships so badly that I will care what the paywall is. I'll get it whenever.

• CHFC22
    627 posts Member
    I never knew the word 'expect' was open to interpretation.
  • leef
    11931 posts Member

All of that extra stuff makes it to where it's not too difficult to stay at the tip of the spear, no money required. What's she is saying is that the easiest way to get to the tip of the spear is to buy your way there and expect to spend 4-5k to be competitive.

I agree with everything you just said, but how is that giving us the middle finger though?
  • Nauros
    2345 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »

I hope you are a vegan or grow your own livestock because eating meat where animals were treated inhumanely makes you part of the problem

It does, but much smaller part than the manager of the slaughterhouse...
  • leef
    11931 posts Member

Why though? If it wasn't for the consumers, the sellers would go out of business.
  • It seems like you feel that the company that makes this game is forcing you to spend money to have fun. Or be relevant. I don't think that's a fair interpretation of this statement. They are not forcing or saying one should. However, they do have actuaries, who in turn churn out lots of statistics and I'm sure they've got it calculated to be about that amount. They have to. They have to know what their income stream is and how it is best derived. As many have mentioned, the artist, game developers and programmers need to get paid. They should get paid. That all said, I don't find anything really wrong with the statement. It's not a condemnation of those who don't spend money and I'm certain they know that majority of their base does not spend that.
  • Yeah I believe. She is human after all and is stressful when everything you do you just see complaints. When Cg does something you like people rarely give them positive feedback. When they do something you don’t like, they hear a lot of negative feedback. At one point people snap
  • I don't see how is this affecting you. CG has expectations regarding how much people would pay to up their game. You don't have to spend money if you don't want to. And why do you question the other people who prefer to spend on this game, it's totally their decision and that's it.
  • Nauros
    2345 posts Member

Why though? If it wasn't for the consumers, the sellers would go out of business.

Because they are the one who decide how things are done and one single consumer is meaningless.
  • Javin37
    347 posts Member
    I don't see how is this affecting you. CG has expectations regarding how much people would pay to up their game. You don't have to spend money if you don't want to. And why do you question the other people who prefer to spend on this game, it's totally their decision and that's it.

this
  • CHFC22 wrote: »
    I never knew the word 'expect' was open to interpretation.

White knights like to play with semantics and defend their hard spent money.
  • Javin37 wrote: »
    What the complaint should be is that this model (and this isn't the only game using it) that is gambling...without actually being legally defined as gambling...and kids play it. That's the major issue that I'm sure will one day become more understood...after a few horror stories make national news.

A lot of truth here. I honestly think this gaming model has got about 10 years left in it. If that. It's basically a casino masquerading as not a casino. It's not a Star Wars game really...it just looks like one...it's actually an online casino. I don't think they will be able to operate like this for much longer. They're under the radar now...legislators (as ever) are a bit slow on the uptake, but this won't be the case for long.

• leef
    11931 posts Member

Because they are the one who decide how things are done and one single consumer is meaningless.

The manager of a slaughterhouse isn't the one who decided to treat lifestock inhumanely. If he doesn't take the job, someone else will.
This discussion has been closed.