Idea: Dialing down the hostility

Prev1
I’m going to start with that basic assumption most of us on here enjoy Star Wars and this game. This may be in error but I’m going with it.

The level of anger and hostility seems quite extreme at the moment on these forums. It would be more a enjoyably to pop on the forums to find a few more positive or even just constructive critisim in the top trending posts.

There will always be something to complain or be critical about but this shouldn’t manifest as personal attacks on the devs and staff that work on this game. I’ve been guilty of this myself but I think as a community we need to realize the impact this can have on them and their workplace enviromemt.

We as the community should try to remember why we play the game and what we enjoy about it. When there issues that we don’t like, which is inevitable, voice them in more constructive ways.

Let’s leave the pitchforks and tourches at home for a bit. Just my thoughts shred them as you’d like.

Replies

• Stop being positive. They lie to us. They said they want balance but their actions are doing the complete opposite. They just want our money, no matter the cost. They simply dont care about the game.

Open your eyes.
  • *burner"*
  • Totally agree. Very negative at the moment. I'm a f2p player, and understand that someone who pays at lot into the game should get access to the latest character's before me. It's just common sense.

More than happy to wait for second or third time round. But if someone really hates the game, then just delete it. Move on.
  • They create a product with addictive qualities, get people hooked, then mess with it at every turn. Some of the messing is good, some stupid. I know there are people who can’t stand even the slightest complaint, but you just have to deal with it and let people at least try to voice their concerns. If you can’t handle them talking about the devs who you are infatuated with, then leave the forums. It’s your choice to be here.

See? I can play the same stupid “personal freedom” game too
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    It also amazes me that there is often outright hatred - including wishing actual humans were out of a job - about the fact some pixels representing a fictional space wizard don't do what someone thinks they should. Whether you've chosen to spend money or not is irrelevant.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Stop being positive. They lie to us. They said they want balance but their actions are doing the complete opposite. They just want our money, no matter the cost. They simply dont care about the game.

Open your eyes.

What good are open eyes if you won't use those eyes to read what the Devs post. They said they want balance, but it won't come immediately, but over time. So...you must wait for that time to pass.
    CG_Carrie wrote:
    There will always be some pretty dominant characters, but our hope is that a variety of competitive teams filter into the community over time, and that the primary “meta” of the game becomes a little bit more balanced in the future. While it may not be a true rock-paper-scissors meta, and while it will take some time to execute, this is the targeted end state - this end state is a reflection on some of the competitive gameplay changes we’ve slowly been making as well.
  • Mirkraag wrote: »
    Stop being positive. They lie to us. They said they want balance but their actions are doing the complete opposite. They just want our money, no matter the cost. They simply dont care about the game.

Open your eyes.

It is indeed a business which has the base line goal to generate the maximum level of profits. So I would expect that, yes they want my money.

The key is cost vs perceived value to the clients.

Being blindly positive isnt truly my point. Being less negative is. Provide meaningful and informative feedback that will improve the overall quality of the game when it is warrented.
  • ....and then we revert the meta to two teams dominated by Revan because paywall Malak getting rocked by Papa Palpatine. Rock, paper...oh forget it.

It's bugging me that people are upset about it not being a rock-paper-scissors meta and using that as an example of the Devs lying. Carrie's post specifically says they're NOT aiming for a 'true rock-paper-scissors meta'. People need to learn to read.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    MrCoffee wrote: »

Open your eyes.

It is indeed a business which has the base line goal to generate the maximum level of profits. So I would expect that, yes they want my money.

Being blindly positive isnt truly my point. Being less negative is. Provide meaningful and informative feedback that will improve the overall quality of the game when it is warrented.

Thanks MrCoffee, I completely agree with the sentiment. I don't agree with a lot of choices EA has made over the past few months. I try to express my opinions constructively. If every single change that EA makes is met with blind, incoherent rage, then real feedback gets lost.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    I guess I also get frustrated with players who rant and rail against everything, but their complaints are blown way out of proportion and/or are based out of ignorance.

"OMG, Palpatine was just nerfed! I'll never spend another dime!" - No, Palpatine wasn't nerfed. He just isn't very effective against squads with Malak. Otherwise he has the exact same functionality he had before.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

Open your eyes.

this
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Lol when they start using the words end state...... I think i'll hold off on a few vaults...to see If I'm just misinterpreting what was send
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    futile attempt, the forum will always be a place players come to vent.
    On the plus side, i think it's highly entertaining when people completely lose their composure over a mobile game.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    MrCoffee wrote: »
    I’m going to start with that basic assumption most of us on here enjoy Star Wars and this game. This may be in error but I’m going with it.

The level of anger and hostility seems quite extreme at the moment on these forums. It would be more a enjoyably to pop on the forums to find a few more positive or even just constructive critisim in the top trending posts.

There will always be something to complain or be critical about but this shouldn’t manifest as personal attacks on the devs and staff that work on this game. I’ve been guilty of this myself but I think as a community we need to realize the impact this can have on them and their workplace enviromemt.

We as the community should try to remember why we play the game and what we enjoy about it. When there issues that we don’t like, which is inevitable, voice them in more constructive ways.

Let’s leave the pitchforks and tourches at home for a bit. Just my thoughts shred them as you’d like.

Lol, you just played yourself. Nobody here is gonna listen to you, even if you’re right, even if you offer candy, the forumgoers will still rally.
  • Ephran
    499 posts Member
    The Star Wars fandom at large is ridiculous and always pisssed off at something or other.
  • Then that should be a red flag saying theres something wrong with the game in my opinion i agree they need to stop thinking about there wallets and make the people who are putting it in there wallets happy
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Here is a radical idea: how about going past the symptoms - the forum outrage - and look at the cause - the decisions the devs are making and the direction the game is going?
  • I was happier before I discovered forums.

Now I try to criticize CG whenever I can. That's normal consumer behavior. I pay for this game and I try to extract as much value as possible from it. Best way to do it is to keep CG on leash, force them to constantly make the game better. For us, not for them.

Keep the pressure on!
  • Tautas
    87 posts Member
    Well if they stole your money, you probably would be also in rage.
  • MrCoffee wrote: »

Open your eyes.

Wow just wow. So you know you are not playing a game and accept it. Congrats to you you are more foolish than me.

And your feedback is totally useless, understand that. they will never listen to you. Only clicks and transactions.

I wish you a good transaction
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member

Open your eyes.

they said "filter in over time"...primary meta becomes more balanced "in the future"

You're asserting they are lying about it when it's impossible to know that right now.

• They don’t want the new Meta Malak defeated by F2P on day 1... give it thirty or sixty days and we’ll get a diverse Meta... not 5 minutes. I think it’s a good model. Pretty reasonable really. Now I don’t like how they just completely made EP, & Fracture etc etc. useless be creative but I can wait 30-sixty days.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Javin37 wrote: »

Open your eyes.

they said "filter in over time"...primary meta becomes more balanced "in the future"

You're asserting they are lying about it when it's impossible to know that right now.

woefully ignoring that the GR rework apparantly allows them to beat malak in the process :O :O :O
  • MrCoffee, I think you must be a very self aware person. I also agree with your sentiments. It's very odd how the forums have devolved into a constant state of hatred. I think it's funny that many people claim that CG is not listening to the fanbase, but if I were a developer, I would avoid the forums at all cost! Why should I fill my life with the vitriolic hatred of a bunch of random people who think they deserve to be heard just because they exist? Anyway, thank you for standing seemingly alone and know that you are supported by many!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JDIII wrote: »
    Complaining about complaining, lol
    Or you could see it as:
    constructive critisism about senseless whining in an attempt to make the forum a healthier place so we can potentially have a better, more respectfull interaction with the devs.
    I'm an optimist, shoot me ;)
  • I have to be honest, looking at the forum for the last few days I don't see much offensive hostility at all. I see a lot of anger and frustration- yes. But I don't see people being rude, offensive and/or hostile.

I think the vast majority I'm reading is well-reasoned and focused, sensible and intelligent. And I admire people for doing that and I also admire the forum moderation team for keeping things light-handed and letting people speak their minds.
  • I simply will not bow to this meaningless request. Game developers have done silly behind nonsense.
    Community had already found a solution for Darth Revan being the target with the mix with Talzin and the zombie. Launching Malak so close was unnecessary.

Forcing players to have characters over 17500 to make the event is disloyal. Criticism should be made of profanity even though the developers used a bad artifice to prevent people from picking up the malak with Hack but leave the gate open for the rest of the game.

If they had courage and honor in American traditions, the forum would have ample and unrestricted freedom of expression. They would do very well if they left California and went to West Virginia.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    but if I were a developer, I would avoid the forums at all cost! Why should I fill my life with the vitriolic hatred of a bunch of random people who think they deserve to be heard just because they exist?

lol ok there....or because "some" of them provide the funding for the game to exist providing multiple jobs, a single computer. Not "just cause we exist" but because we pay for the game to "exist" so meh on that statement

but welcome to the forum