Can you believe this person is in charge?

Replies

  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Without getting into anything she specifically said last night, she came across as extremely unprofessional. I get she is frustrated, and I get that criticism isn't hard to hear, espessially when some of it comes across as people complaining just to complain. However as someone running a company, the last thing you want to do is go out into public and complain about your own customers. Any person in another industry or company who does what she did last night would see them selves, at a minimum, suspended or reasigned.

    All this frustration boils down to the fact that when an unpopular decision is made, the devs ignore any feedback/criticism instead of just addressing it via in an official and professional manner. Explain why we are going back to 5 nodes instead of just saying because it was "temporary", explain what happened that allowed DR to become so available to the f2p players, and explain why special gear was added on last minute. These past few months, it just feels like CG has been either making huge mistakes during development and scheduling and then instead of looking inwards towards how to correct these issues in the future, they are simply blaming and punishing everyone else while refusing to discuss any of it in any kind of custructive manner.
  • And yet SWGOH isn't even in the top 5 highest grossing games in google play store. People are spending more money on pokemon go and candy crush.

    "Freemium" games are a huge cash cow these days. You seem to be focusing your anger about that towards one person or one group of people who work on one game amongst many.

    This game is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay for it. As long as others are paying large amounts to play so I can spend far less, I'm quite content with that.

    Lastly, there are various versions of "professional" in the world. I've seen all different varieties and opinions on what is or isn't.
  • Javin37
    347 posts Member
    edited April 18
    .
  • Jarungo wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you're criticising? You've just made a vicious personal attack based on wilful misinterpretation of what Carrie said.

    There's a lot of anger on the forums, mostly hyperbolic in my opinion, but there's no need to go foaming at the mouth.

    Did you read the first sentence? She basically said: "Yes, to some degree you are expected to spend that much money to remain competitive if you want to be the tip of the spear".

    It's ridiculous, how is this practice even conceivable in a video game is beyond logic.

    You know people don't have to spend that amount to be competitive. Crystal income is great in this game.
    It's also obvious that they wanna make money. If you can't believe that, then that's on you.

    I am perfectly fine with them implementing ways to make money. I spend plenty of money on video games. In fact I pay a monthly subscription for EVE online and I have absolutely no problem supporting a good product. However, where is the limit? do you consider 1000-4000$ acceptable in a video game, to be able to remain competitive, access all content and have fun? my EVE online subscription barely cost me 100$ per year and that is if I don't skip a month without playing.

    I think you are probably playing the wrong game, and the wrong gaming model. Trying to compare a MMO or any other pay once or subscription game to a freemium game is going to fail miserably. These freemium games are all about manipulating people into spending. They exist for no other purpose. They are not intended to be fun. They are not intended to win awards for innovate gameplay. They do not care about the player experience. They only care about maximizing revenue and minimizing expenses.

    I agree with what you are saying. Spending thousands or more on a game is not doable for most people in society and even for those who it is, they are really getting little to no value on their return. They know they are getting **** and they just don't care. Or they care, but are addicted so can't stop.

    This game won't change from the freemium model. You either recognize it for what it is and accept it and keep playing. Or click the uninstall button.



  • Saada
    47 posts Member
    edited April 18
    $1000 a year is nothing and definitely not a whale ($20 a week), I'm pretty sure everyone wastes $20 a week on average on junk food, ps4 games, other online games, lollies, restaurants, sports, gambling etc so $20 a week is nothing. I used to have money aside to have a bet on the weekend but changed that to just put it into this game since its more fun. Stop over analysing everything.... spend money, don't spend money it's your choice but the people who created the game have to give some incentive for people who spend big and by rushing an event that only give the huge spenders a chance to get a character and then they get to reap the rewards, good for them. As a free to play player like a majority of you, suck it up and get the character on the next go round as they state.
  • sying
    916 posts Member
    I think you’re twisting the words a little bit.

    Does she expect those who can to panic and spend money to catch up?

    Does she expect people to spend because cg intentionally set the bar too high?

    Between those two interpretations I’d go with the first one because if you read the whole tweet she does pretty much say that.
  • Dk_rek
    2360 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you're criticising? You've just made a vicious personal attack based on wilful misinterpretation of what Carrie said.

    There's a lot of anger on the forums, mostly hyperbolic in my opinion, but there's no need to go foaming at the mouth.

    Did you read the first sentence? She basically said: "Yes, to some degree you are expected to spend that much money to remain competitive if you want to be the tip of the spear".

    It's ridiculous, how is this practice even conceivable in a video game is beyond logic.

    Crystal income is great in this game.

    Pretty broad statement for a small subset of the population great for the people at the top.... horrible for people at the bottom
  • Dk_rek
    2360 posts Member
    Jawwny wrote: »
    Unless, you're Fox News-ing for a narrative.

    lol this must be the alt of a dev in CA
  • "To some degree." The devil is in the details, and the response here is just as much about what is NOT said.
    She expects players to spend money to some degree. She pointedly does not mention an amount, Matt did. So the only conclusion a reasonable person can draw here is that the expectation is that some players will spend money, some much more than others, and some will not. The want is that some will spend as much cash as they can afford to stay at the "tip of the spear." Again, no mention of an amount, just whatever is needed by the player to stay in the vanguard. She wisely mentions no dollar amounts.
    It's a reasonable and well constructed response to Matt's question. The company expects some people will buy their products, and wants people to buy their products as is appropriate for each player's means. Imagine that, a company wants customers to buy what they are selling ... how completely ordinary.
    Quit freaking out. Buy the product or don't, the choice is entirely yours.

    $1000/year = $83/month ... I spend more on gasoline. A lot more.
    $4000/year = $333/month ... not even a cheap car payment. Shine on you crazy diamonds.
  • I'm with Carrie on this
  • Dk_rek
    2360 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    This is CG and EA. Yes I can completely imagine that “this person” is in charge.

    I have no personal bone to pick with Carrie. She is doing her job and I think personal attacks have no place in this thread. That said, she is the face of CG as it relates to SWGOH and as such any criticisms about her job performance are wholly legitimate. To that point, I think level, tone and content of communications coming from Carrie (in forums and other social media) is missing the mark and in some cases are flippantly dismissive of legitimate concerns clearly being raised by are corners of the SWGOH community.

    In my personal opinion, CG and Carrie need to post an acknowledgment and apology for the myriad of issues and concerns plaguing this game for the health and well being of the game. Whether they believe they were in the wrong or not, a simple acknowledgement of “oops, my bad” will go a long way to soothing the current discord.


    Here is a fact: if we want more communication from them, we all need to learn not to tear into them like a pack of starving wolves every time they post something.
    Of course communication slows down - we beat on them endlessly every time they speak. Nothing is ever good enough for us (as a collective).

    This is not true at all.

    When devs post on "this" forum and it's 1) Worded Correctly 2) Explanations are given 3) Or just drop in once a year to say hi (lol) There are always more positive comments in those threads thanking them for their work. You get a few complaints from the "always complain" crowd....and then 262 posts about "hey while your here when is DArth Porkins coming to the game" which then derails the thread into oblivion.

    I thanked Lucifer when he was posting on the mass cheating. Lots of people were appreciative.

    I commended the graphics team on some of the AMAZING AMAZING displays they have created.

    They want to slow people down nerfed challenges, slowed down assault battles reducing shard shop currency (I'm always at 0 now), Bronziums are pathetic now, Raid rewards are IMBA and awful in some instances. I can't see people raging about that stuff but I accept when things get worse for players they are going to complain... It is what it is.

    The only thing I ever Rage about is lack of PVE content.... Something fun I can spend time on since a lot of things are just stale, simable.. You know me I'm the more ship content whiner guy....

    But I'll tell you what if we had a solo raid that ran 7 days I could do on my own with rewards scaling on performance... (and they dont' have to be good rewards because I want the game mode for something to do and feel like I accomplished something at the end of the week...whatever is given at the end is a bonus)

    Somewhere to use my ship factions that does not take 30 seconds...

    I think there would be a lot less complaining if people had something to do IN GAME because they might spend less time spewing hate on forums if they were playign the game
  • Yes I can believe it. But what I can't believe is that this post has been up this long without removing it by moderators.
  • If Carrie can convince people to spend $1000 USD/year on a mobile game, then she is exactly the person who should be in charge.

    I found the honesty and transparency refreshing. If you want premium content before everyone else, expect to drop at least $20/week into this game. If that's too much for you, be thankful that someone else with more disposable income is subsidizing your gaming experience. If you don't want to see how the sausage is made, stop following the lead designer's personal twitter account.

    Look, there are legitimate gripes about this game (unfixed bugs, lack of new PvE content, half-baked kits, etc.); let's stick to those topics. If the inability to keep up with P2W players is causing you anxiety, it might be time to step back and take a look in the mirror. Games like this have elements of gambling and behavioral manipulation baked into them - if you have addictive tendencies or poor impulse control it might be time to find a different hobby.
  • CHFC22
    627 posts Member
    This thread is full with CG apologists and CG alt accounts

    And at least one troll
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Why are we triggered about this post?

    New characters have a high $$$ or resource hoarding barrier to get initially. This keeps the lights on.

    The problem, too many have been getting these characters and it limits the exclusivity. If you're not prepared or a new players, you're going to have to spend to skip the grinding aspect of the game.

    I don't see any news here. Maybe seeing dollar amounts triggered the OP? Seems silly.

    Here is a little secret, which explains why Malak is so triggering.

    This game goes through phases:

    -new meta is introduced. Whales spend on it and enjoy an easy arena climb
    -FTP struggles to keep up but quickly find a counter team that lets them climb but does not hold very well on def. So they can still reach top ranks but it’s harder
    -as time goes on, the counters get more and more refined. New ftp counter toons are introduced. Climbing becomes easier. More and more ftp get a taste of top ranks (ever notice that new names creep into the top when a meta becomes “stale”?)
    -Return to a new meta being introduced.

    Why is the cycle like this? Why do they allow ftp a chance to compete with their new meta that the whales paid for?

    Simple answer - because it helps convert ftp into ptp. Once these ftp players get a taste of top ranks, they are no longer happy settling for lower spots. They have developed a taste for the top rank rewards and don’t want to give that up. It’s human nature - no one ever wants to feel like they are moving backwards.
    So now they are encouraged to spend - just a little - to stay on top and get into the new meta. After all, it’s not that much money to stay at the top, right??! And it keeps them competitive - they can keep earning the crystals from top ranks. So the money spent is well worth it!
    Then the next time, they have to spend a moderate amount again. It’s more than it was the first time, but if they don’t spend this to stay on top then the previous money that they spent was just wasted, right (sunken cost fallacy).
    After a few metas if this, the ftp player looks back and realizes that he has spent way more on this game then he would have liked. He is approaching whale status himself! He should probably stop spending....but look, I’m only a few gear tiers away from unlocking Malak! All the money I spent on DR is wasted without Malak to tie the team together! Just once more!

    But I’m this case, the entry cost of Malak was so steep that it cut a lot of players out of this cycle. I longer could they just spend “a little”, it was very difficult to complete the event if you weren’t pretty close to being ready already.
    So now sunken cost is starting to sink in, ranks are suffering, frustration is high, and there is nothing they can do about it (until a rework or new toon is released that can re-start the cycle).

    You just completely described my journey to P2P :D
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Nauros
    2345 posts Member
    CHFC22 wrote: »
    This thread is full with CG apologists and CG alt accounts

    And at least one troll

    Every discussion has at least one troll, that's, like, a rule of the internet.
    Revive the stores, the game needs it.
  • Too many diva comments. This is like you are mad at your ex and want to be done with her but she texts you to come over and you still do. Lol

    You are mad at Carrie and the game and yet when a really cool new toon or mechanic is released you go back and farm to get ready for it or use crystals for gear.

    “I’m never going back to her!” - Angry player

    “Yes you are.” - everyone else
  • Two Words: Delayed Gratification.
  • Lio
    360 posts Member
    I'll share my opinion by first stating I'm 100% F2P. Spending even $10 seems mad to me.

    However, I know people who are willing to drop thousands on this game. People who are very wealthy. There are multiple NBA and soccer players I follow who I know fall into this category (albeit in other games, not this one - still not wild to think SWGOH has these rich players too).

    If I was in charge of the game, I would also market a toon directly at them. Malak seems like that toon. I just feel like the whole rage behind Malak is rooted in entitlement and this need to be #1 in arena (forgetting there are several other game modes) and thinking it's unfair for CG to give a benefit to those willing to drop thousands to be #1. It's economics.

    Last thought - While I'm happy that Carrie engages fans on Twitter and drops little nuggets, I think this was a bad call on her end. I don't think she was wrong about the content, but maybe that's content you don't release. I don't know. She has data that I don't so maybe it was the right call.
  • leef
    11932 posts Member
    This thread is full with CG apologists and CG alt accounts

    The people you're referring to (i think you're referring to, as others have done by calling them white knights) are probably the least likely to be duped by ea/cg, isn't that funny?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Lio
    360 posts Member
    Two Words: Delayed Gratification.

    👏👏👏
  • evoluza
    1637 posts Member
    Yes I can believe it. But what I can't believe is that this post has been up this long without removing it by moderators.

    Don't think it's against any guideline to discuss the quality of all sorts of stuff. Even if that is the leading quality from Carrie.
  • Her reply is complete nonsense. They only only wanted tip of the spear people who payed to get malek(which gives those people an edge in arena), yet they rework Kenobi/Anakin/Asoka a rework that can beat malek lol.

    This game isn’t worth the money people spend at the top to stay competitive.

    From what I gathered...they just made a way to make quick cash(hence...maleks 2 day notice with a 2 day limited time event).

    Cg knew long ago for the JKR event they were gonna force people to drop cash to gear up those Old Republic toons used to get Revan. Make the event easy by needing low gear as a requirement because they knew 2 weeks wasn’t enough time to 7* all 5 Old republics....later we will make an event that requires Old Republic to be at 17,500 power to enter.

    This was smart and stupid. Smart because they made alott of money....stupid cause this ticked a lot of players off who are saying they are done with spending.

    As for the malek rework that made Palpatene useless in arena...what was the point of that then the developers rework the 3 Jedi so they can counter malek w/Revan?

    Nothing they do makes sense anymore...all they focus on now is ways to bleed people dry who spend money.

    Hope they are happy...I’ve never seen so many players saying they ain’t paying squat going forward as they are saying they are gonna do from now on.

    It makes me happy people are getting annoyed with this company. I’ve played many online games and there’s nothing wrong with a company trying to make money...but there should be a moral limit on how far cg is willing to take things from a making money standpoint.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    Yes I can believe it. But what I can't believe is that this post has been up this long without removing it by moderators.

    Don't think it's against any guideline to discuss the quality of all sorts of stuff. Even if that is the leading quality from Carrie.

    I sure would like to think so but actions have proved me wrong before.
  • evoluza
    1637 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you're criticising? You've just made a vicious personal attack based on wilful misinterpretation of what Carrie said.

    There's a lot of anger on the forums, mostly hyperbolic in my opinion, but there's no need to go foaming at the mouth.

    Did you read the first sentence? She basically said: "Yes, to some degree you are expected to spend that much money to remain competitive if you want to be the tip of the spear".

    It's ridiculous, how is this practice even conceivable in a video game is beyond logic.

    You know people don't have to spend that amount to be competitive. Crystal income is great in this game.
    It's also obvious that they wanna make money. If you can't believe that, then that's on you.

    I am perfectly fine with them implementing ways to make money. I spend plenty of money on video games. In fact I pay a monthly subscription for EVE online and I have absolutely no problem supporting a good product. However, where is the limit? do you consider 1000-4000$ acceptable in a video game, to be able to remain competitive, access all content and have fun? my EVE online subscription barely cost me 100$ per year and that is if I don't skip a month without playing.

    I know other games where people have multiple vip accounts /50k each.
    There is no limit for some people and every publisher who knows that, wanna benefit from that. Also I said you don't have to spend that amount to remain competitive. But some want to spend and cg should over them opportunities to spend.

    50K in this game isn't much. I doubt I would clear my stun gun/carbanti/golden eyeball/stun cuff backlog with 50K

    Saying this is so silly. And they actually don't stop at 50k,only the vip level ends.
    But anyways...
    The point I make is, that you don't have to spend that amount. Cg will like if you do, but they also created a fair f2p system.
    Only pointing out that they wanna make money and not acknowledging that it can be done without any money, is ridiculous.
  • Liath
    3388 posts Member
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Are you saying we should allow kids to play poker and gamble with money and not regulate predatory video game practices?

    I’m not saying anything about what kids should be allowed to do. I’m not a kid and I don’t personally know any kids who play this game. The question of what should or should not be regulated is a political one that is inappropriate for this forum and very far afield from the issue in this post of what the developers’ expectations around spending are or should be.

    I know I was just kidding, but you and I both know the answer to this already. I was just amused at the fact you brought in the poker argument, because at the end of the day kids also play video games and predatory practices targeted at them doesn't make up for a good excuse when you say, well the limit is what ever the consumer is willing to pay. There has to be limits sometimes or publishers, manufacturers...etc will abuse the system where they see a way to make easy money.

    I don’t think it’s a given that there “has to be limits,” no. I don’t think there have to be limits on how much somebody can charge for a fancy car, or super bowl tickets, or any other luxury spending. Whether a game with this model should be 18+ is a separate question and irrelevant to the complaints of adults about the pricing structure as it relates to themselves.
  • KueChael
    738 posts Moderator
    edited April 18
    Yes I can believe it. But what I can't believe is that this post has been up this long without removing it by moderators.

    Watching closely, as long as there aren’t personal attacks against each other, and criticizing or supporting arguments are made within the topic. The discussion can be heathy for the community. Many points are being made from different points of view. ;)
This discussion has been closed.