Idea: Dialing down the hostility

2Next

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    camper288 wrote: »

If they had courage and honor in American traditions, the forum would have ample and unrestricted freedom of expression. They would do very well if they left California and went to West Virginia.

A forum with unrestricted freedom of expression may very well be the silliest suggestion i've seen on this forum. Even in the land of the free and home of the brave there are restrictions on expression for obvious reasons. And no, i'm not just talking about rules and regulations by privately owned businesses and institutions.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    MrCoffee wrote: »
    I’m going to start with that basic assumption most of us on here enjoy Star Wars and this game. This may be in error but I’m going with it.

The level of anger and hostility seems quite extreme at the moment on these forums. It would be more a enjoyably to pop on the forums to find a few more positive or even just constructive critisim in the top trending posts.

There will always be something to complain or be critical about but this shouldn’t manifest as personal attacks on the devs and staff that work on this game. I’ve been guilty of this myself but I think as a community we need to realize the impact this can have on them and their workplace enviromemt.

We as the community should try to remember why we play the game and what we enjoy about it. When there issues that we don’t like, which is inevitable, voice them in more constructive ways.

Let’s leave the pitchforks and tourches at home for a bit. Just my thoughts shred them as you’d like.

Hear hear! Forum is depressing sometimes. I completely agree with you.
  • Idk where to start, so many absurd things have been heard in the comment section of this post. Someone said that if you pay you should have access to the latest characters and that makes sense. Of course having access to the latest characters should make it easier to get better ranks in competitive play, this doesn't mean it should exclude all other players from being able to climb. The OP's message is to tone down the hostility, yet of I was able to climb the ladder before now after numerous nerfs/releases I am no longer able to climb and get a decent payout, or lose Zetas and gear because I'm no longer competitive in GA, I should some how be cool with it. This what you don't understand, everyone is looking out for their own interests, when I have invested thousands of hours and/or hundreds of dollars in a game, and then I get slapped in the face and get forcefully thrown out of my payouts I have every right to be upset.

People aren't as unreasonable as you think, we understand that new characters have to be appealing in order to be an attractive reason for spending money, however the standards that have been established lately are totally unreasonable, as if there is a promise by the devs that if you pay for our newest character we'll have your back and we'll eliminate any competition off of you. This unholy alliance between CG and its whales is what causes the hostility, whales are tired of playing the game, they just want to press a few buttons and win. What happened to thinking? Strategizing? Planning? It's now all come down to doing your routine and winning everything on auto. This is not a coincidence that the last few meta releases have been so much stronger in terms of power creep that they can beat the previous meta on auto. Rey could beat CLS on auto, Traya could beat Rey on auto, Revan could beat Traya on auto and now Darth Revan can beat everything else on auto. It's like whales must win effortlessly and we (CG) must ensure that this happens no matter the cost. I get it paying should offer an advantage, but to not even having to use your ability to think? CG is trying too hard to pull these players up by the bootstraps and put them in first place every day in order to justify third purchase and keep throwing money at them, meanwhile our counters get nerfed or reworked so that they no longer work, if that doesn't justify hostility then idk what is. Whales already have the advantage of having better mods, this should be enough. If a new variation of the meta is more effective they can get the required characters geared up in hours while the rest of us could take weeks, that's another advantage. Giving them unbeatable squads is the worst possible way for the game.

Lastly, grand arena, the mode that most players loved from the get go. A nice fresh new breath for the game. A mode designed to supposedly force players out of their comfort zone. A mode that is supposed to make you think, strategize, use skill to outplay your opponent. A mode where you aren't supposed to win every time, now ruined because of characters that don't have counters. Entitiled whales who only know how to p2p also feel entitled to bring their p2w status in GA, not understanding how GA is not supposed to be p2p, it's supposed to be competitive, meaning you don't get to win every time unless you are the better player, better not richer.

Perhaps you're right about one thing, it's the guarantee that your paying will grant you free winning that will maximize the profits for the developers and that's what matters most. However if they settled for a little less they could maintain the integrity and the health of the game for far longer. You can't always milk the cow dry, you need to give it some time to recover, take a bit less milk, but this way you will be able to milk it longer
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

If they had courage and honor in American traditions, the forum would have ample and unrestricted freedom of expression. They would do very well if they left California and went to West Virginia.

Many people confuse "Freedom of Speech" with "Freedom from Consequences of their Speech." If I go into my boss's office a start spewing racist epithets, despite having "freedom of speech", I will be fired.

The First Amendment means the government won't throw you in jail for your free speech. It doesn't mean you can't be fired or banned from a video game forum, especially one in which you agreed to their terms of usage upon signing up.
  • I don’t disagree with the bulk of the above post. I was none to happy with the TW ban fiasco. There is always going to be inherent imbalance in a freeimum game with pvp which is frustrating for folks on either side of the F2P equation.

I pointing out stuff like calling Carrie evil and all the mud sling at the devs. Raging about things without direct examples or going of on the extremes with the whales vs F2P. Just a lot of vitriolic comments on the threads.

The devs have a difficult task of balancing the entitlement of both communities. Assecability vs exclusivity. When that balance gets warped by all means voice said criticism but calling for people to be fired or impliy that someone evil when they explain the general state of freemium business models is over the top. A bit like some how making this about free speech, using strawman counter arguments or melodramatic imagery that can only vaguely be deemed relavent.
  • jkray622 wrote: »

Many people confuse "Freedom of Speech" with "Freedom from Consequences of their Speech." If I go into my boss's office a start spewing racist epithets, despite having "freedom of speech", I will be fired.

The First Amendment means the government won't throw you in jail for your free speech. It doesn't mean you can't be fired or banned from a video game forum, especially one in which you agreed to their terms of usage upon signing up.

Asking people to be a tad more considerate and professional with the feedback they are generating on a public forum...... aaaaaand we have to define free speech, it’s intent scope and limitations 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Idk where to start, so many absurd things have been heard in the comment section of this post. Someone said that if you pay you should have access to the latest characters and that makes sense. Of course having access to the latest characters should make it easier to get better ranks in competitive play, this doesn't mean it should exclude all other players from being able to climb. The OP's message is to tone down the hostility, yet of I was able to climb the ladder before now after numerous nerfs/releases I am no longer able to climb and get a decent payout, or lose Zetas and gear because I'm no longer competitive in GA, I should some how be cool with it. This what you don't understand, everyone is looking out for their own interests, when I have invested thousands of hours and/or hundreds of dollars in a game, and then I get slapped in the face and get forcefully thrown out of my payouts I have every right to be upset.

Yeah, you're upset about the ongoing messes the developers have made in the game, and somebody's still coming to ask, to lessen hostility.

It just will not do.

Did they forget that the capital games blocked the characters in TW with them choosing what they would block?

Are you satisfied with this new policy of forcing investment in character characters?

Did you see that besides the Rebel Soldier's error in the platoon, without any warning the number of fragments of Leia Organa fell from 2 to 1 in this TB? Something that especially affects who is F2P.

They continue to comment on real-time errors and someone has come to ask that the criticism be something of the kind.

"Dear developers, could you please kindly make so many mistakes? We love you, a little kiss for everyone."

If EA and players who live in politically correct bubbles do not understand that the hostility of criticism is extremely healthy for the continuity of the game, criticism will disappear and the players will disappear with them.

A reality shock must be given to the developers, and criticism sweet and with sugar on top simply will not bring results. If not soon the forum will have rules of the politically correct bubble and there the cow goes to the marsh.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    This thread has developed nicely so i'm just shamelessly going to quote myself, haha
    leef wrote: »
    On the plus side, i think it's highly entertaining when people completely lose their composure over a mobile game.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    This thread has developed nicely so i'm just shamelessly going to quote myself, haha
    On the plus side, i think it's highly entertaining when people completely lose their composure over a mobile game.

@leef you’re a hero
  • A simple rule I think works - say what you want to say and need to say, just don't be a **** about it.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    One guy: I kinda like this game, why so serious?
    Anyone who’s been here a year: YOU ************ HOW COULD YOU ********* THIS GAME IS **** IVE GOT SOME WORDS TO TELL YOU, YOU ****!!!!!
    Anyone who’s been here more than a year: To quote myself, “You played yourself, lol.”
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Are you satisfied with this new policy of forcing investment in character characters?

This is not a new policy, it’s how the game has always worked.
    Did you see that besides the Rebel Soldier's error in the platoon, without any warning the number of fragments of Leia Organa fell from 2 to 1 in this TB?

I’m not sure whether you actually missed the announcement or are just being loose with the phrase “without any warning.”
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    Did you see that besides the Rebel Soldier's error in the platoon, without any warning the number of fragments of Leia Organa fell from 2 to 1 in this TB?

I’m not sure whether you actually missed the announcement or are just being loose with the phrase “without any warning.”

I see the irony in that the guy complaining about the "obvious" mistakes the developers have had recently makes his own blatant error.

Here you go, @camper288 - they made this announcement 9 days ago:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/200687/additional-changes-in-the-next-update#latest

(And see how I can politely, yet definitively, point out the mistake? I don't need to name-call or type in all caps to get the point across.)
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

careful...many a rodeo star's career was ruined falling of that high horse he was ridin...
  • @jkray622
    Sorry for expressing myself wrong.
    When taking steps to take the farm from 8 to 5 attempts per day and this reduction I was not even aware is just another slap in the face of the players.

What was the long search for the road head? For a while after that and the staff do exactly the opposite of the players.

Someone ask that so that there is no more hostility in the criticism is to get the author of the topic and have it go ... (self censored).
  • jkray622 wrote: »
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Stop being positive. They lie to us. They said they want balance but their actions are doing the complete opposite. They just want our money, no matter the cost. They simply dont care about the game.

Open your eyes.

What good are open eyes if you won't use those eyes to read what the Devs post. They said they want balance, but it won't come immediately, but over time. So...you must wait for that time to pass.
    CG_Carrie wrote:
    There will always be some pretty dominant characters, but our hope is that a variety of competitive teams filter into the community over time, and that the primary “meta” of the game becomes a little bit more balanced in the future. While it may not be a true rock-paper-scissors meta, and while it will take some time to execute, this is the targeted end state - this end state is a reflection on some of the competitive gameplay changes we’ve slowly been making as well.

If they really meant this there’s an easy solution: nerf JKR. Instead they buff him. Their actions suggest there is more going on here. I liked the game but less so now. I may quit. I don’t think anyone really cares about one player but i don’t think I’m alone in my frustration. It just isn’t fun with the Revan wall.

• Javin37
    367 posts Member
    PeldorV wrote: »
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Stop being positive. They lie to us. They said they want balance but their actions are doing the complete opposite. They just want our money, no matter the cost. They simply dont care about the game.

Open your eyes.

What good are open eyes if you won't use those eyes to read what the Devs post. They said they want balance, but it won't come immediately, but over time. So...you must wait for that time to pass.
    CG_Carrie wrote:
    There will always be some pretty dominant characters, but our hope is that a variety of competitive teams filter into the community over time, and that the primary “meta” of the game becomes a little bit more balanced in the future. While it may not be a true rock-paper-scissors meta, and while it will take some time to execute, this is the targeted end state - this end state is a reflection on some of the competitive gameplay changes we’ve slowly been making as well.

If they really meant this there’s an easy solution: nerf JKR. Instead they buff him. Their actions suggest there is more going on here. I liked the game but less so now. I may quit. I don’t think anyone really cares about one player but i don’t think I’m alone in my frustration. It just isn’t fun with the Revan wall.

How would immediately doing that prove they mean it when they said "in the future" and "take some time"?

Why would they nerf JKR? The time to make that case is long past.