Can you believe this person is in charge?

Replies

• Dk_rek
    3106 posts Member
    edited April 18
    Col_Forbin wrote: »
    I think of this game as an investment, not so much of money, but time. This game, like many other things has a VIP structure and that structure allows early access or first access.

VIP access always costs more than general admission. In the case of SWGOH, the game itself is general admission and free. The newest and best always cost. If you don't want to pay for VIP first access, patience will unlock it next time around, or even the 3rd time around.

Is 3-4K too much? Maybe. But how much do VIP's spend on VIP access to a major sporting event? Easily twice that for 3-4 hours of entertainment. And everyone else spends less for a lesser view/experience for that exact same event.

Conceptually, this is no different. CG, runs a business and money keeps the business running. A VIP structure helps that quite a bit. I like it because it's allowed me to play a game I love for nearly 3.5 years, basically for free (I have spent a little here and there, never close to whale status though.)

I got every Legendary/Journey character the 2nd time around, except Thrawn. I got old blue face the 3rd or 4th time he came up because I ignored Phoenix for other priorities.

Point is, it's okay to get a toon after they initially launch. Most of the player base does, and it's perfectly ok.

As for the nerfing/buffing, it's always happened. in the grand scheme of the game, it always seems to work out in the wash down the line IMO. Again, patience is necessary. The one that annoyed me the most was the HSTR changes. Now it's on farm.

I don't post very often, so this seems like a good place for a public service announcement:

If this game is causing too much undue anxiety, change your mindset, take a break for a little while, or consult a physician. If you're unsure if you have signs or symptoms of significant anxiety, this Mayo Clinic link will help clarify:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/generalized-anxiety-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20360803

As a new poster thanks for you time and effort on the post and posting the Hellmans Mayo Clinic link...

That said your exact post in the last 365 days has basically word for word posted (except the miracle whip clinic)

Approx 245,729 times.... maybe 13,597 times just in the last 2 days.... maybe 300 times by Dev's with alt accounts...

sooooooo we got it everythings fine nothing to see here SQUIRRELLLLLLLLL.

But yeah people with emotional issues should call the dukes kewpie clinic if they have issues lol :

EDIT Not you Colonel... But sooo many new posters all of a sudden and only posting on the madness going on.. lots defending CG...

So question is if it's

a) normal people
    b) company employee alts
    c) Whales

See throughout human history one thing is certain and guaranteed... Peasants can only be pushed so far... Nobles steal their land, their money, crops, children everything.... Kings live like kings Peasants got nothing...... But the Peasants won eventually every single time until technological developments made putting down rebellions easier..but that same tech made life better. But always before the major uprising of the peasants..the nobels caught on that they were about to be overrun.....only after all the abuse, theft, trickery did the threat of being overrun induce them to try and REASON with the peasants....

It just makes me wonder if the Nobles that are all of a sudden coming out of the woodwork are worried about something lol

hey if I spent 100 grand on a phone game and all of a sudden a bunch of peasants were causing rukus that would threaten the money i spent... yup i'd be motivated to start an account and start posting calm down peasants...calm down your lords are here to protect u
  • isn't this kind of forum post, like against forum rules or something?
  • Dk_rek
    3106 posts Member
    Genpaku408 wrote: »
    isn't this kind of forum post, like against forum rules or something?

And a Nobel has arrived... are you worried about something. People running this place are extremely competent and have been doing it for years

Ninja trying to get a thread closed because the content worries you is kinda meh
  • hotdeaths
    152 posts Member
    edited April 18
    this is entertaining

poor op being spammed with notifications
  • Jarungo wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Jarungo wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you're criticising? You've just made a vicious personal attack based on wilful misinterpretation of what Carrie said.

There's a lot of anger on the forums, mostly hyperbolic in my opinion, but there's no need to go foaming at the mouth.

Did you read the first sentence? She basically said: "Yes, to some degree you are expected to spend that much money to remain competitive if you want to be the tip of the spear".

It's ridiculous, how is this practice even conceivable in a video game is beyond logic.

You know people don't have to spend that amount to be competitive. Crystal income is great in this game.
    It's also obvious that they wanna make money. If you can't believe that, then that's on you.

I am perfectly fine with them implementing ways to make money. I spend plenty of money on video games. In fact I pay a monthly subscription for EVE online and I have absolutely no problem supporting a good product. However, where is the limit? do you consider 1000-4000$ acceptable in a video game, to be able to remain competitive, access all content and have fun? my EVE online subscription barely cost me 100$ per year and that is if I don't skip a month without playing.

You do realize that you don’t have to play this game. Fact is there are plenty of people who are willing to spend that much and more on the game, and there are many more who don’t spend at all who are both competitive, and at the same time honest/accepting of the fact that the P2P player is supposed to have advantages over a F2P crowd in the short term for the newer content, and those advantages come with a monetary cost. If they aren’t willing to pay for that advantage, they go about their business doing the things that will make or keep them competitive over the long haul.

If you’re not willing to adapt/adjust and/or accept this, don’t play. It’s really as simple as that.

• VonZant wrote: »
    Hi, I've been playing SWGOH for about a year and half now.
    I find it hard to believe this person is in charge with this sort of statement. Do you seriously expect the average player to spend 4000$ a year to be competitive or enjoy this game?
    Absolutely ridiculous, this is the kind of thing that kills a game. Do you want people to play your game or uninstall it?
    How is this even remotely acceptable to lock some of the hardest events in the game without spending thousand of dollars and to remain competitive.

d8v0h3hauxs21.jpg

I have no problem with this statement and its how this game and games like it have been for years. Would you have rather have had her lie about it?

Wanna bet he would make a thread nonetheless? :D
  • As the most reasonable person in this forum (sarcasm) I'll weigh in a bit on this. Regardless of how you interpret these words by Carrie what these comments show is clearly that some people don't understand the value of money in our society. I could not imagine people spending this much money on a phone game, and then there are other for whose this money is pennies.

If your customers have such a wide gap of disposable income it is inevitable that those at the bottom will suffer in certain ways. There is a reason why rich people hang out with each other and poor people hang out with each other, this is simply a consequence of spending habits and spending power.

For someone like Carrie, spending so much time in an environment with CEOs and other corporate leaders having a twisted perception about money, having excessive expectations, it changes your perspective and point of view of things. But yeah this isn't something she should say imo
  • Personally, I wish malak would have cost $10k to access. There are about 10 people in my shard with malak. I have a tough time beating 3.
    So as a f2p, I'm still pulling top 5 in arena, I'm flawless in GA, pull #1 in hsr with a gp of 2.6m
    This is all because some of you noobs still play this like a collection game- it's resource management-!
    Learn to manage your resources, focus on mods, and try to maximize income across all areas of the game- not just arena.
  • Personally, I wish malak would have cost $10k to access. There are about 10 people in my shard with malak. I have a tough time beating 3.
    So as a f2p, I'm still pulling top 5 in arena, I'm flawless in GA, pull #1 in hsr with a gp of 2.6m
    This is all because some of you noobs still play this like a collection game- it's resource management-!
    Learn to manage your resources, focus on mods, and try to maximize income across all areas of the game- not just arena.

Wow your gaming experience must be a blast not having characters to experiment in raid with because you want to be as efficient as possible sounds like a blast
  • leef
    12588 posts Member

For someone like Carrie, spending so much time in an environment with CEOs and other corporate leaders having a twisted perception about money, having excessive expectations, it changes your perspective and point of view of things. But yeah this isn't something she should say imo

Or it's the fact that she actually can view players' spending habits and knows players are spending alot of money on this mobile game. Seems more plausible than her being rich and hanging around with rich people who think spending 4k on a mobile game is "pennies". Atleast to me that seems more plausible.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nikoms565
    10953 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe this person is in charge with this sort of statement. Do you seriously expect the average player to spend 4000$ a year to be competitive or enjoy this game?
    Absolutely ridiculous, this is the kind of thing that kills a game. Do you want people to play your game or uninstall it?
    How is this even remotely acceptable to lock some of the hardest events in the game without spending thousand of dollars and to remain competitive.

d8v0h3hauxs21.jpg

I have no problem with this statement and its how this game and games like it have been for years. Would you have rather have had her lie about it?

This. I prefer her honesty. As opposed to some made malarkey like meta "variety" or "balance"....oh....wait...
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    12588 posts Member
    Personally, I wish malak would have cost $10k to access. There are about 10 people in my shard with malak. I have a tough time beating 3.

Wow your gaming experience must be a blast not having characters to experiment in raid with because you want to be as efficient as possible sounds like a blast

it seems like he's having more fun than you are judging by the majority of your posts xD
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

Or it's the fact that she actually can view players' spending habits and knows players are spending alot of money on this mobile game. Seems more plausible than her being rich and hanging around with rich people who think spending 4k on a mobile game is "pennies". Atleast to me that seems more plausible.

Shill ;)
  • Rework Tuskens
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

Shill ;)
    leef wrote: »

In theory price/ratio should stay around the same. As price increases the amount of buyers decrease and as prices drop the amount of buyers rises. Carrie has expressed her philosophy of maintaining exclusivity for the top so this pushes her to drive up the prices and keep the number of buyers lower. Corporate executives care about the numbers regardless of the amount of buyers, at the end of the day it's Carrie's decision whether they are gonna go with higher prices and fewer buyers or smaller prices and more buyers. I would say her perception of money is a bit twisted compared to the average person who isn't making 6 figures

I am! My fun comes from maximum damage output by switching mods and character interactions.
    I'm 2.5m gp and I have people in my shard at 4.4. I'll never keep up in diversity, or in new toys.
    And I have a ton of fun smearing the p2p players in ga because my teams work more efficiently. P2P is meant as an advantage. I actually prefer to play with the disadvantage- makes me try harder.
  • Monel
    1250 posts Member
    Personally, I wish malak would have cost $10k to access. There are about 10 people in my shard with malak. I have a tough time beating 3.

I am! My fun comes from maximum damage output by switching mods and character interactions.
    I'm 2.5m gp and I have people in my shard at 4.4. I'll never keep up in diversity, or in new toys.
    And I have a ton of fun smearing the p2p players in ga because my teams work more efficiently. P2P is meant as an advantage. I actually prefer to play with the disadvantage- makes me try harder.

Being totally serious when I say good for you! I am trying to switch to a more wallet friendly approach and it's hard. But having a laser focus on certain teams in the definitely the way i need to go to make it work. Thanks for your positive message.
  • TheDude420 wrote: »
    I’m no CG apologist, but it seems they can’t win. We complain about lack of communication, but when they engage us and give a candid response such as this, the community freaks out. We can’t have it both ways, peeps.

Let’s remember their job is to drive revenue and make an enjoyable game. If there’s no revenue stream, our game goes away.

Do you think the game didn't make enough with CLS? Do you think R2 and Thrawn who were viable at 5 stars in arena didn't make enough money? Do you think nightsisters didn't make enough money? Do you think Sion, Traya, Nihilus, Enfys didn't make enough money? All viable at 3-4 stars, did people complain? Sure but not nearly as much as this.

The game made enough money with the above characters to sustain itself and succeed for 3 years. Wasn't that amount of money enough? Who and why decided to raise the bar to what it is today? You see somewhere along the way they were taken over by greed. They made alot of money as it was, but then they realized that they could push it even more. It's no longer about sustaining the game with a healthy profit, it's about making ridiculous amounts of money. So please stop presenting things as if they are the victims here, they were making enough money as it is to sustain the game for decades, until they decided they wanted even more.
  • Jarungo wrote: »
    Did you even read the post you're criticising? You've just made a vicious personal attack based on wilful misinterpretation of what Carrie said.

There's a lot of anger on the forums, mostly hyperbolic in my opinion, but there's no need to go foaming at the mouth.

Did you read the first sentence? She basically said: "Yes, to some degree you are expected to spend that much money to remain competitive and if you want to be the tip of the spear".

It's ridiculous, how is this practice even conceivable in a video game is beyond any logic.Games are supposed to be about having fun. Locking content behind absurd pay walls is not going to help this game become a better product.

I think you're missing the words "to catch up" in the post she responded to. Not to remain competitive, but to catch up with the tip of the spear. I.e., with the whales and some F2P players who have a roster full of zetaed g12 characters including both Revans. Players who can afford to quickly gear up two Old Republic squads with their saved-up gear and considerable daily crystal income from taking top ranks in both arenas. If you want to catch up with those players (ETA: and think you can't wait for the Malak event to return), of course it's not going to be cheap.

The tweet chain was discussing how players have to spend large sums of money to catch up and remain competitive or they won't be able to compete with the tip of the spear i.e. those who either a) spend thousand of dollars and are to ashamed to admit it so they react like white knight apologists. b) somehow made it to the top due to some circumstances and have an edge because of their leaderboard position. Eithey way, you have to spend money to catch up to these people and to remain competitive or someone with a gold credit card is going to beat you by a long shot.
    I’m no CG apologist, but it seems they can’t win. We complain about lack of communication, but when they engage us and give a candid response such as this, the community freaks out. We can’t have it both ways, peeps.

Let’s remember their job is to drive revenue and make an enjoyable game. If there’s no revenue stream, our game goes away.

Do you think the game didn't make enough with CLS? Do you think R2 and Thrawn who were viable at 5 stars in arena didn't make enough money? Do you think nightsisters didn't make enough money? Do you think Sion, Traya, Nihilus, Enfys didn't make enough money? All viable at 3-4 stars, did people complain? Sure but not nearly as much as this.

The game made enough money with the above characters to sustain itself and succeed for 3 years. Wasn't that amount of money enough? Who and why decided to raise the bar to what it is today? You see somewhere along the way they were taken over by greed. They made alot of money as it was, but then they realized that they could push it even more. It's no longer about sustaining the game with a healthy profit, it's about making ridiculous amounts of money. So please stop presenting things as if they are the victims here, they were making enough money as it is to sustain the game for decades, until they decided they wanted even more.

It’s a business. No amount of money is enough. I’m not saying what they do is right or good. But they can’t just sit back and count their cash from last quarter or this fiscal year; the revenue has to keep coming in, otherwise it’s not worth paying the devs to keep working on it.
  • Nihion
    2068 posts Member
    TheDude420 wrote: »

Lol nightsisters, wut?

I remember when Ships 2.0 came out, and the STR, and mods 2.0, and JKR, and everyone here said they would quit the game. And here they all are now, claiming that this is the final straw! No it’s not. We all know that. Things slowly get crazier, and one little jump of crazy to the next is not going to be game shattering. It makes money though.

Sorry @BaldingHead90 this post responds to nothing you said, I just thought it was funny that you mentioned NS making CG a lot of money.
  • Nihion wrote: »

Lol nightsisters, wut?

I remember when Ships 2.0 came out, and the STR, and mods 2.0, and JKR, and everyone here said they would quit the game. And here they all are now, claiming that this is the final straw! No it’s not. We all know that. Things slowly get crazier, and one little jump of crazy to the next is not going to be game shattering. It makes money though.

Sorry @BaldingHead90 this post responds to nothing you said, I just thought it was funny that you mentioned NS making CG a lot of money.

Ok, I'm sure talzin and zombie made some money, the reason why I put them in the group of characters I mentioned is because they were viable at low star counts and people didn't complain much

You see if they stuck to the f2p gets 5 stars maybe, p2p gets 7 it would still make them money and people would be alot happier

It’s a business. No amount of money is enough. I’m not saying what they do is right or good. But they can’t just sit back and count their cash from last quarter or this fiscal year; the revenue has to keep coming in, otherwise it’s not worth paying the devs to keep working on it.

Hey man, like i mentioned above, his is shortsighted. The more agressive they monetize the the game the sooner it will die off

Hey man, like i mentioned above, his is shortsighted. The more agressive they monetize the the game the sooner it will die off

I agree, the price is ridiculous. But if people keep paying that much, it’s hard to see it changing.

My main point was that we can’t complain about CG not communicating with us, if this is how the community reacts when they are honest with us.

Personally attacking Carrie by questioning her ability to do her job is a bit much. I don’t think she’s the one dictating price points anyways.
  • LOUD NOISES!!!

I agree, the price is ridiculous. But if people keep paying that much, it’s hard to see it changing.

My main point was that we can’t complain about CG not communicating with us, if this is how the community reacts when they are honest with us.

Personally attacking Carrie by questioning her ability to do her job is a bit much. I don’t think she’s the one dictating price points anyways.

tvi0mfz5wuge.jpg

Couldn't resist.
    Leader: Grey Area 51 - My Squads: https://swgoh.gg/p/716522998/
  • NicWester
    6586 posts Member
    edited April 19

I mean..... No? She didn't say that? What... What is wrong with you that you can read "average" into that? She expects the average player to get it the second time when it won't cost anything.

You're a weirdo.

EDIT: So, to answer the original question, sure--sure I can believe she's in charge. That's a pretty reasonable statement, unless you're hell-bent for leather on reading unreasonability into it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Javin37 wrote: »

"tip of the spear" =/= average

1000 a year...not 4000 a year. You're not paying attention...

and there are those that spend more than that without blinking an eye.
    ..and you better believe they want exclusivity for it.

I have malak...ftp.

And do you have him g11 and arena-ready or just uselessly sitting there at g8? Unlock is irrelevant if you don't spend for the new cash grab gear. Paywalls behind paywalls...

If you dont have the zetas and omegas, u cant pay your way through either.

My main has g11 malak, alt still has it at g9, but lacking zetas and omegas so it will just slowly be geared for use.
  • Midirataj
    97 posts Member
    edited April 19
    the fact that rich people normalize ridiculous pricing in cideo game doesn’t suprise me at all.
    they only value they represent is the advantage they can buy with money they have in abundance
    if whales couldn’t spend 90% of them would be hugging top 200 at best.
    just imagine these people have to validate their importance by winning in a rigged mobile game
    I love the fact that lead producer dropped her mask and revealed the greed that fuels her career.
    Btw. This game lost millions of players who found no joy in grinding failure.
    that is why they will continue to increase prices, frequency of new release, decrease „heads up warnings times” to milk the whales dry, and when they alienate the rest of the people they will shut down the game with a couple of months notice.
    nobody sane will start the game right now from scratch
    cls, jtr, jkr, dr, malak, chewbacca, c3po
    the nail to the coffin will be Rotj luk which will for shure demand cls, c3po and chewbacca, hermit yoda to begin with
    this guarantees zero new players courtesy of 5 hard node attempts single node farms
This discussion has been closed.