How do I handle my GET spending habit?

hotdeaths
152 posts Member
edited April 2019
I've been trying to save for Hoda for almost a year now and I've made like 15 shards progress. I LITERALLY cannot resist stun guns or gold balls when they are available - help me fix my habit in time for Jedi Master Luke :(

EDIT: I'm not addicted to the game, I am FTP, but I just struggle really hard with long-term farming in the GET specifically. In terms of character farming (from Cantina/Hard nodes etc) I have planned very far ahead.

Sorry for any misdirection.
Post edited by hotdeaths on

Replies

• Options
    Dont click that tab unless ur farming for the shards in it then buy those till u have no currency left or almost 0.

If they release jedi luke dont see it for another year or 2 atleast cause now till next feb will probably be clone wars and ep 9 toons thdm probably mandalorian show and followed by the fallen jedi order chars for probably the next year at least
  • Options
    I had that issue for a short while, I solved it by never clicking on that section of shipments unless it was immediately after a TB or TW, I never knew what was in the store, so never bought any of it. If you are looking for gear, then I would say just learn what gear you want and check the crystal shipments without searching from the character, that also saves you spending currency you might want to save.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    like the others, i never open that tab. Had to re-open shipments quite a few times while farming malak because i forgot to do so during my normal routine, haha.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • MightyWizard
    872 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I had the same problem with fleet arena store, saving up for zetas, but ending up buying character and ship shards instead. I found the easiest way to solve my problem was to save up a stack of currency first, so that I never have less than 3-4k. Now I can buy zetas, and always have leftover currency for those shiny shards.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Now that my Malak is 7*, I never open that store. Can't spend on what you can't see.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don't really understand this.
    hotdeaths wrote: »
    I LITERALLY cannot resist stun guns or gold balls when they are available

Of course you can. Just don't buy them. It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Foxer
    461 posts Member
    Options
    Yoda won’t be used as a “requirement” for future turns. This has been said by CG! Why does everyone keep trying to make this a thing..... and yes I have Wampa Yoda and nearly my Malak done.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

Of course you can. Just don't buy them. It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to.

That’s not how addiction works. For the OP, I’m also currently saving my GET, so what I do is I just don’t ever open that tab in the shipments.
  • Options
    For starters you need to seek out the proper therapy : not this forum.

The crux of your issue is impulse control and focusing on your long-term goals.

Cognitive behavioral therapy tries to help with this. But what exercises can you do to help with this?

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/how-to-improve-impulse-control-for-more-success-with-simple-tips.html
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    I've been trying to save for Hoda for almost a year now and I've made like 15 shards progress. I LITERALLY cannot resist stun guns or gold balls when they are available - help me fix my addiction in time for Jedi Master Luke :(

Is that OCD?
  • Options
    0oi4jusvygc8.jpg
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    interresting how different people interpret the OP entirely differently.
    I'm not a mental health proffesional, but i do not think that if you find yourself always chosing short term gain in a mobile game that you need proffesional help. While it may be a symptom of a more deeprooted problem, it's not necessarily a indication that you're actually suffering from a more deeprooted problem.
    I do appriciate others looking out for others, that's a good thing imo, but saying someone should seek out proffesional help based on a forum comment is a bit extreme imo. Afterall, If you really do feel like there's a problem, sending a pm is a better course of action imo. I'm not a big fan of publicly insinuating someone has a mental health issue.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    Options
    I do the same as the second poster, @DarthRevan1023. I don't even check that store until after a TB/TW when I know I might have enough to purchase Wampa/Hoda. Otherwise it's far too tempting.

Made quite a few mistakes when I first unlocked GET Store and purchased character shards after the first 2-3 TBs in my original Guild. Really wish I hadn't wasted all those GETs.
  • Options
    You might also want to write down your specific goals. The amount of what item for what character. By not doing this your prioritizing is probably along the lines of, "Oh I need that."
  • Options
    Just start thinking about the fact that new characters are most likely gonna be added soon with new the TB map coming out soon. I did the same thing for the longest time. I couldn't resist the gear and I finally got around to farming hoda when bastila came out I believe. Moved on the wampa but stopped when he got close cause I can finish him in galactic bounties and I dont have him geared so theres no rush. I think I'm gonna start saving my currency soon too. Gonna grab the rest of the gear I'll need for jedi revan and sit on the rest most likely
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

That’s not how addiction works. For the OP, I’m also currently saving my GET, so what I do is I just don’t ever open that tab in the shipments.

It is, though. There's no external force at work. I'm not saying it isn't harder for some people to resist, but telling them "oh well you're an addict so you just can't do it" is frankly doing them a disservice because you're telling them they are helpless to solve their own problem.

I love Cherry Coke Zero. At one point I was chugging 5 or 6 cans a day. At some point I realized that was probably bad for me, so I stopped doing it. I craved them all the time, and caught myself reaching for one a bunch of times, and it ****, but I stopped anyway. And that's with caffeine involved, which produces actual physical addiction.

I understand the temptation to spend GEC on gear, but statements like "I literally can't resist" are just letting yourself off the hook for your own bad impulse control.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png