Guild leaders/officers and even members - what do you do to increase morale within your guild?

Prev1
For me, guild life in swgoh can be a bit of a rollercoaster. Sure there are times when we all have a TW winning streak which makes everyone happy, and then other times you hit a rut and have run off losses which at times can be like a punch to the gut. Plenty other examples of highs and lows with guild life but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

On top of that, we all know there's a lot of negativity surrounding the game at the moment. So a bit of fun conversation can be a welcome change to constant complaints.

So what I would like to know is what kind of things do you do to increase morale and build camaraderie?

A few I have used in the past are asking everyone how they got their game name (not for the Mol Eliza's lol), we have a had a race to 7* between members and we even made a Google map for members to pin their rough location so we had an idea where everyone in the guild is from.

Look forward to hearing any other fun ideas :)

Replies

• Options
    Play dead or talk *orn.
  • Options
    As a guild leader to the same guild since guilds began i can understand what your saying. We havent won a tw since ga came out which to be frank isnt much of an issue as rewards aint much diffrent. But as long as u give it your best.
  • Options
    I have guys in my guild who have been there since i created the guild. They have been through all the struggles understands the meaning of teamwork.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    Options
    There are 0 complainers in my guild.
    Maybe because we are a FtP guild that doesn't care about being the top in arena.
    And when things like the HK or Finn nerf happened, ppl brainstormed about possible options and not just complain and be negative.
    We also talk about SW not related to this game.
    Also we are all from same country and I guess that helps as we usually are logged or playing at roughly same time of day.
    It is true that lately guild chat (we use Telegram) has been a bit more quiet but i guess it is a phase after 75% of the ppl have b3en in the guild for more than 1.5 years.
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Options
    Ask your guys how there feeling about the game u will find that will help alot of the time as then u can discuss what to do about it. Talk about life outside of the game. Set a challenge thats achieveable
  • Options
    Remember past members who were in guild whether good or bad have a chat about them. I always remember the guys who started with the guild but have since retir3d from the game. Have a laugh about the guys who didnt make the cut for the guild.(ive had a few of those in 3 yrs lol)
  • Blackbeardpepe
    1481 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    When guild members start to express their frustrations in general chat, it's best to express empathy. Be real, be honest.

I try to keep it light, lots of memes, etc.

Do roster reviews, compare characters, talk about farming.

Mods and meta speculation (jka or Malak) seem to be hot spots for a lot of frustration, so I tend to not start conversations with those.
  • Options
    I think this post has been taken out of context lol I am not looking for advice for my own guild, we are in a good place :) or how we deal with people when complaining. I'm just curious on what other people do in their respective chats to keep spirits high and get their teams closer together.

Like I said, we made a map for guys to pin their location which was pretty fun for all to look at. So ideas similar to this that would get people chatting

@Blackbeardpepe I like the idea of roster reviews btw! That sounds fun and helpful
  • Options
    Roster reviews are awsome. Gets a lot of people talking.
  • Options
    Brobeans if u wernt looking for advice u should of said lol
  • Options
    Heres an idea see how many teams can solo rancor
  • Options
    A lot of memes and gifs.
    I do a lot of stupid things to get the guild talking lol like using a gar lead in p1 if sith and getting a 0 or a 1.

Mostly though the people make the guild. I am lucky enough to be around awesome and funny people.

I have always been in awe of the team work and collaboration and just the downright best in people.

Guildies create spread sheets, websites, bots, charters all to help theguild/alliance.

All of the advice we share for strategizing in the game and sometimes for life. It’s honestly the best part of this game for me.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Become friends.

The game is something we all do because we want to and we like it. The group is there because they have a common interest. That is how good friendships are built.

There are less ups and downs if the game is just something you do together.

Beyond that, planning and roster development, sharing strategies and boasting about beating people in raid damage.
  • Options
    Great thread, well done for starting it.

I gotta admit, I've never seen morale so low in our Guild right now. But, cheesy as it sounds, we all work hard for each other. We're genuinely a team.

But - there's some great ideas on this thread for having more fun, cheers!
  • Options
    @CoastalJames thanks man :smiley: thought it would be good to share the ideas. Hopefully some will use them to make their guilds even more fun that they already are B)
  • Options
    We have a guy in our alliance, every few hours if there isn't a meme being posted, he complains. Lol
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The tone of the chat really comes from those who post a lot, and those who are respected. As a leader, you're probably both of those. I find the key is staying positive, though not falsely so, and definitely avoid overly negative talk (game is dying, new meta is such kitten nonsense, etc). Players generally want support - help with rosters, their share of raids/tbs, hearing them out when they're frustrated. Finding solutions definitely helps, as does chat not relating to the game (upcoming sw shows, movies, etc - even marvell this week).

OTOH, If you find yourself having to call someone out or moderate them constantly, you might need to remove them from the guild. We had the problem a few times in the past. Overly negative players who were bashing the guild leadership, other players, complaining needlessly, and so on. I'd advise not letting that go on very long, and PM them if you're getting concerned about their conduct.

We also have an officer's messhall chat room to talk about major issues away from players where we can talk more frankly without damaging morale.

The more players you have in your guild that are friendly, supportive and positive, the better your morale will be. It took over a year for our guild to get to that point. It's definitely not an overnight achievement, but it's a very worthwhile goal - way more important than GP.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    ... definitely avoid overly negative talk (game is dying, new meta is such kitten nonsense, etc)...

My Guild is largely British...so avoiding this tone and manner is basically impossible lol :smiley:

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    if moral in my guild was low, i would just leave. Where's the fun in being in a guild with a bunch of debby downers?
    I do kinda enjoy the negativity on the forum though, it's fun to read for me. I know that kinda makes me an ...., but i don't care, haha.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    The best thing we have done for our guild is the absence channel and a seperate one for the officers.
    All others are just related to topics and no one blames anyone if it goes slightly off topic.

Be supportive, open to share thoughts and get people involved in strats.

For example: 17 of us created a tw tactic over time and we officers just assisted them (till the end).
    Think of this and that, provided data....

All decisions have been made by the "creator" and after a short time everyone knows what to do.

• Options
    start a #kickCarth channel and let them take it out on me. I can take it and it keeps People happy.

No, I’m not kidding...
  • Options
    At one point my guild did this thing where if we spent enough energy and earned enough raid tickets in a given amount of time our names were put into a lottery where the winner would receive a Google play card worth somewhere like $25. This was a monthly thing but we stopped a while ago for some reason.
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    Options
    start a #kickCarth channel and let them take it out on me. I can take it and it keeps People happy.

No, I’m not kidding...

Lol, that is funny :D
  • Options
    Xhedao wrote: »

No, I’m not kidding...

Lol, that is funny :D

It’s hysterical and a lot of fun :smiley:

• Options
    I’m getting tired of my casual guild and people collecting rewards for doing the bare minimum. I see myself walking soon if things don’t change. It’s just hard because I have guild mates from day one.
  • Options
    * lead by example
    * set reasonable goals
    * encourage folks to participate and congratulate them for their accomplishments