Does anyone actually spend 4k a year on this game?

I think we're beating @CG_Carrie a bit too hard about this. Yeah she should have stayed quiet about her personal beliefs if she wanted to avoid criticism, so I'm sure she is a smart girl and she knows what her words would cause. You don't get leadership positions in big companies like that if you don't have a tough stomach and the ability to endure trash talking and pressure.

But anyways, I was wondering if there are actually people who spend that kind of money in the game. I suspect I know a few of them myself but when you actually break it down release by release it just sounds like alot. How many players do you know who spend that much money in this game alone?

Replies

• Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    Shaddes wrote: »
    Also Carrie should quit, she doesn’t seem able to handle this job anymore
    I don’t think she should quit. People make mistakes and they get better once they work them out.

The problem for CG is that they were not ready to handle a Star Wars game. With SWGOH they hit an audience that far surpasses the audience of a casual mobile game, they hit the Star Wars audience. An audience that had its expectations already set at stellar levels by iconic movies and TV shows. Expectations that are far from being met by CG and, also, by EA (see the Battlefront 2 shameful debacle).

On the other hand, Star Wars is a license that was built upon the fan’s wallets... That’s literally how Lucas got paid for A New Hope, paid over merchandising only. Star Wars is THE license that lives on its fan’s deep pockets so what did you expect from a Star Wars mobile game?

My biggest concern is the respect of the license itself. Malak and the Revans weight pretty much nothing in the Star Wars universe against iconic characters such as Palpatine, Anakin or Vader. It’s a shame to see those nobody characters overshadowing giants.
  • A top whale would be spending 1K a week or so to get every character to 7* G12.5.

Once they hit that mark they would slow down a bit
  • Globuhl wrote: »
    I don’t think she should quit. People make mistakes and they get better once they work them out.

The problem for CG is that they were not ready to handle a Star Wars game. With SWGOH they hit an audience that far surpasses the audience of a casual mobile game, they hit the Star Wars audience. An audience that had its expectations already set at stellar levels by iconic movies and TV shows. Expectations that are far from being met by CG and, also, by EA (see the Battlefront 2 shameful debacle).

On the other hand, Star Wars is a license that was built upon the fan’s wallets... That’s literally how Lucas got paid for A New Hope, paid over merchandising only. Star Wars is THE license that lives on its fan’s deep pockets so what did you expect from a Star Wars mobile game?

My biggest concern is the respect of the license itself. Malak and the Revans weight pretty much nothing in the Star Wars universe against iconic characters such as Palpatine, Anakin or Vader. It’s a shame to see those nobody characters overshadowing giants.

Come on man, they couldn't handle a star wars game? This is the best game of it's genre out there. I think they have done a decent job so far but they kinda lost it with the old republic content. Someone mentioned something about royalties a few days ago, that makes a ton of sense honestly. I think what's happening is that they saw the old republic as a gold mine and they went over the top with it. Now the game is suffering as a result. They lost control of the power creep and now constant issues keep popping up and it's hard to fix them all. Refunds alone aren't enough to rebuild the trust, they need to chill out with the powecreep and work on rebalancing the game. Allowing for MULTIPLE squads to do well and be competitive
  • A top whale would be spending 1K a week or so to get every character to 7* G12.5.

No way, that's way too impatient and I doubt it happens. Also if you have paid for so much gear to keep so many characters maxed out, all the gear you've been earning from raids and other content will be piling up like crazy. After a while you have so much that you're only after shards at this point. I think if you're spending this much you basically have horrible management skills
  • My guess is that the 4-5k was fir a new account to catch up while the 1k was for the average account to keep up with a the new toons each year. Which makes since especially if u dont start ur farm till after the new toon is announced
  • evoluza wrote: »
    A top whale would be spending 1K a week or so to get every character to 7* G12.5.

No way, that's way too impatient and I doubt it happens. Also if you have paid for so much gear to keep so many characters maxed out, all the gear you've been earning from raids and other content will be piling up like crazy. After a while you have so much that you're only after shards at this point. I think if you're spending this much you basically have horrible management skills

You don't know how inpatients work.
    You clearly don't know how whales operate.
    Why contribute to that conversation?

Inpatients is the opposite of outpatients at a hospital isn't it?
  • If you spend just $100 a week in game, just one vault. That would be $5,200 a year. Does not seem out of the realm of possibility for a good amount of people to be there. I am military and I spend half that. $100 on the 1st and 15th of every month.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    ofcourse some players spend that much and even more.
    Is that why people are so upset about carrie's tweet? they didn't expect (other) people to spend that much on this mobile game? I guess ignorance really is bliss
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    Is that why people are so upset about carrie's tweet? they didn't expect (other) people to spend that much on this mobile game? I guess ignorance really is bliss

No people are upset at those tweets because there are people who can't pay those bills and make 7.25 and hour and they find comfort in a game like this one, and last thing they need to be told is that they game is building it model around people who spend 4 k a year on it
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

No people are upset at those tweets because there are people who can't pay those bills and make 7.25 and hour and they find comfort in a game like this one, and last thing they need to be told is that they game is building it model around people who spend 4 k a year on it

untill they realize those guys are paying 4k a year for basically nothing. Don't get me wrong, i wish i could spend 4k a year on a mobile game, but in the end the players don't are the real winners imo.
    If anything, this earnings model hurts the players whom are spending that much, not the players who refuse to do so.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Globuhl wrote: »

Not trying to be insulting, but your last paragraph is a bit short sighted. Revan and Malak are just the next step in power creep. Before them, there was Traya...before that JTR...before that CLS and so on.

The real issue is that CG tries to give whales exactly what they want without giving consideration to the rest of the game. I’m sorry, but whales don’t care if characters like Revan and Malak break the game. They just want to be better than the competition. CG is digging a hole with this power creep.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yes people do.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    There is no need to talk about the devs personally or thier professional careers. Please keep posts game related.
This discussion has been closed.