GA Match Up - Explain on how you would win?

Prev1
If you were the player on the left how would you win this GA match up? Then please expound upon how a discord bot can do this comparison and why such a tool is not utilized to help create competitive GA match ups?

Dar Penthar vs GG
========== Overview ==========
GP :: 3.5M vs 3.5M
Toon GP :: 2.1M vs 2.1M
Ship GP :: 1.4M vs 1.4M
Squad rank :: 61 vs 8
Fleet rank :: 65 vs 8
Zetas :: 29 vs 32
G11 :: 19 vs 7
G12 :: 23 vs 55
G12+1 :: 2 vs 10
G12+2 :: 1 vs 4
G12+3 :: 10 vs 5
G12+4 :: 0 vs 4
G12+5 :: 0 vs 7
6 dot Mods :: 14 vs 52
Speed+10 :: 215 vs 153
Speed+15 :: 46 vs 59
Speed+20 :: 11 vs 13
Off+100 :: 13 vs 25
===== Jedi Knight Revan =====
GP :: 26K vs 27K
Rarity :: 7 vs 7
Gear :: 12+3 vs 12+5
Zetas :: 3 vs 3
Speed :: 250 vs 281
dmg (P) :: 3,060 vs 2,744
dmg (S) :: 5,392 vs 4,833
======== Darth Revan ========
GP :: 0 vs 27K
Rarity :: 0 vs 7
Gear :: 0 vs 12+5
Zetas :: 0 vs 3
Speed :: 0 vs 325
dmg (P) :: 0 vs 2,687
dmg (S) :: 0 vs 5,326
======== Darth Malak ========
GP :: 0 vs 17K
Rarity :: 0 vs 5
Gear :: 0 vs 11+4
Zetas :: 0 vs 1
Speed :: 0 vs 253
dmg (P) :: 0 vs 2,559
dmg (S) :: 0 vs 1,357
======== Darth Traya ========
GP :: 0 vs 20K
Rarity :: 0 vs 6
Gear :: 0 vs 11+4
Zetas :: 0 vs 2
Speed :: 0 vs 235
dmg (P) :: 0 vs 2,178
dmg (S) :: 0 vs 4,732
=========== Bossk ===========
GP :: 21K vs 23K
Gear :: 12+1 vs 12+1
Zetas :: 1 vs 2
Speed :: 246 vs 221
dmg (P) :: 3,006 vs 2,864
dmg (S) :: 2,389 vs 2,259
========= Enfys Nest =========
GP :: 5K vs 21K
Gear :: 1 vs 12+4
Zetas :: 0 vs 1
Speed :: 110 vs 192
dmg (P) :: 59 vs 2,889
dmg (S) :: 38 vs 1,941
== Commander Luke Skywalker ==
GP :: 24K vs 21K
Gear :: 12+3 vs 12+1
Zetas :: 2 vs 1
Speed :: 261 vs 232
dmg (P) :: 3,536 vs 3,564
dmg (S) :: 2,135 vs 2,113
=========== C-3PO ===========
GP :: 22K vs 20K
Gear :: 12+1 vs 12
Zetas :: 1 vs 0
Speed :: 235 vs 225
dmg (P) :: 2,188 vs 2,189
dmg (S) :: 3,579 vs 3,582

Replies

• You wouldn't, why don't u have Traya?
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    7* Nest with zero investment? Interesting choice.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    You wouldn't, why don't u have Traya?

You're asking the wrong question... the better question would be why match these two opponents up when one really can't compete with the other. One sided competitions aren't compelling or entertaining for either side. Would you go watch a high school basketball team compete against 2nd graders?
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    7* Nest with zero investment? Interesting choice.

If you don't have the gear to make her g12 then why would you gear her up? Need to gear up the Darth Revan OR toons first =(

You're asking the wrong question... the better question would be why match these two opponents up when one really can't compete with the other. One sided competitions aren't compelling or entertaining for either side. Would you go watch a high school basketball team compete against 2nd graders?

I had something similar because I made a noob mistake had loads of toons that I geared up to like gear 7/8 that have just inflated my roster GP. I would just say from here on only stick gear on toons that you know will be useful and try not to promote anybody either unless you know they will be useful to you at some point. feels bad man but can only try to learn from it and sort it the best you can for the future
  • The matchmaking algorithm simply can't go through every single character in your roster and gauge whether or not it's a "fair" match. It would have to say "well, player B has Traya and player A doesn't, but player A does have Thrawn and Magma so let's check their speeds to see if player A has a shot at beating player B's Traya. Now moving on, let's look at possible JKR counters..."
    It would be a massively unwieldy algorithm unless they just kept all those stats for every player in anticipation of each GA. The algorithm would have to be reworked every time a new character came out to account for new counters and things as well. Much better to just do it based on GP and let people optimize their rosters or not. Do you want players to only ever be matched up against players who have the same top 50 characters as themselves? Is the solution to these unfair matches to make it so every battle is 100% mirror matches that are won by speed mods? Sounds boring to me.

To answer your question, save CLS for offense since yours can probably beat his JKR and can definitely beat his Traya. Hope he doesn't put DR on defense, but since he has Malak he probably will. It's kind of up to what he puts on defense. If he doesn't put Malak AND JKR AND Traya down, you have a shot at winning due to banners. If he does, then you just got a bad coin flip and you may lose.

At 3.5 million gp you really should have Traya, why don't you? That alone will make a big difference. At your gp level, you will probably never run into someone who doesn't have her yet, so you need her to compete. This GA may be a loss for you, but if you focus hard on getting Traya and prepping for the next DR event (and get your JKR faster, man), you will find future matches easier.
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member
    @JohnLove11 I had the exact same situation with my opponent in this opening round. They have almost identical GP to me, and almost as many zetas, however; they have no G11-12, only two G10's but almost their entire roster is G7+. It was like manually playing Galactic War but with 24 hr wait periods. Wasn't fun or creative for me, and would have been brutal for them against my defence. At least they attempted to attack.
  • Omnitopus
    34 posts Member
    edited April 2019

Would you go watch a high school basketball team compete against 2nd graders?

Absolutely, it's about time high schoolers got put in their place and what better way for that, then to have a team of 2nd graders beat them in basketball?

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    I'd save all my good teams for offense and go full burn. Maybe leave Bossk on D depending on how strong the other bounty hunters are, but the rest of my defense would be B and C teams.

Obviously still at a huge disadvantage, but you can use your Revan to beat one of his and possibly CLS to beat the other, assuming he leaves both on D. If you can pull that off and play the rest of your offense well, you have an outside chance. Ideally you wouldn't have to chew through both Revans AND Traya, and the other guy would use at least one of those for offense, but you can't control that obviously.

This is a dumb question. Obviously they are in a guild that either can't beat HSith yet, or hasn't been farming it long enough to unlock her.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Agreed go full offense. Do your best to clear each team with one battle.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    The more complicated the algorithm, the smaller the pool of candidates against which each player can be matched. This would mean that certain groups of people with similarly developed rosters would just play each other over and over again.

Why should a player who has not used their resources effectively be rewarded with an "easier" opponent? Why should a player who has used their resources effectively always be matched against a very difficult opponent?

By matching by GP, players will see the entire range - "good" players and "bad" players across every GP span. If your roster is inefficient compared to most people at your GP range - then most of your matchups will be against players with better rosters. If your roster is efficient compared to your GP-peers, then most of your matchups will be against players with weaker rosters. If your roster is "in the middle", then about half your matchups will be easy, and half will be hard.

Then, if you win, expect each subsequent round to be a little tougher. If you lose, each subsequent round should get easier.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I would prepare for the next match by:

Taking my Nest to g12 to use as a counter to Darth Revan (works depending on the team combination).

Unlocking Traya. She's not great on defense, but the triumvirate is strong on offense in 3v3.

Farm OR to unlock Darth Revan.

Etc.
  • Well... It's a match for GG to lose... Either way go for a clean full clear and pray he makes a mistake.
  • Well, left should have the speed mod advantage.

This is why I don't play GA. The "matching" is broken.
  • The matchmaking algorithm simply can't go through every single character in your roster and gauge whether or not it's a "fair" match. It would have to say "well, player B has Traya and player A doesn't, but player A does have Thrawn and Magma so let's check their speeds to see if player A has a shot at beating player B's Traya. Now moving on, let's look at possible JKR counters..."
    It would be a massively unwieldy algorithm unless they just kept all those stats for every player in anticipation of each GA. The algorithm would have to be reworked every time a new character came out to account for new counters and things as well. Much better to just do it based on GP and let people optimize their rosters or not. Do you want players to only ever be matched up against players who have the same top 50 characters as themselves? Is the solution to these unfair matches to make it so every battle is 100% mirror matches that are won by speed mods? Sounds boring to me.

The better solution is to change the GP calculation itself to more accurately reflect utility. For example, the points allocated for gear are almost linear, when they should actually be exponential. A G12+3 character is 177748 GP while a G8+3 is 13648; in no universe is the latter 75% of the value of the former. Character rarity is also overvalued in the calculation, with the jump from 6* to 7* adding over 3000 GP by itself!

There's nothing wrong with the matchmaking algorithm; it's the underlying data that isn't very good. Redoing the GP formula would result in matchups that at least had a relatively consistent amount of G12 characters and zetas, while still giving a wide variety in roster types and mods. Wouldn't be mirrors, as the algorithm wouldn't differentiate between G12 Lobot and G12 Palpatine or between zetas on Bastila and Clone Wars Chewbacca. Bad rosters would still be bad, and good rosters would still be good, but there'd be a lot less of the ugly matchups where one guy has 50 G12 & 10 G1 and the other guy has 10 G12 & 55 G8.

The sub-G8 gear isn't a limited resource and doesn't bring characters to a useable level, ergo it really shouldn't be worth nearly any GP. As they say in the big data business; garbage in, garbage out.

• Good luck in the losers bracket. He has done a better job focusing his roster. Same GP so you have no argument. Sorry but those are the facts.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Wxrlock wrote: »
    Good luck in the losers bracket. He has done a better job focusing his roster. Same GP so you have no argument. Sorry but those are the facts.

I appreciate you utilizing all your brain power and thinking outside the box to essentially say "get gud" while offering no advice on how to be competitive in a competitive game mode. Your contributions to society are undoubtedly immeasurable...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Good luck in the losers bracket. He has done a better job focusing his roster. Same GP so you have no argument. Sorry but those are the facts.

I appreciate you utilizing all your brain power and thinking outside the box to essentially say "get gud" while offering no advice on how to be competitive in a competitive game mode. Your contributions to society are undoubtedly immeasurable...

Competetive game mode? Exactly! That's why a well developed roster will have an advantage over less well developed roster. It's all part of the competition.
  • Waqui wrote: »

Competetive game mode? Exactly! That's why a well developed roster will have an advantage over less well developed roster. It's all part of the competition.

Hang on though, that's not what he wants to hear. He is expecting someone to formulate a plan where he can win. Be prepared to receive much salt from this one. I said the same thing and was crucified for it.
  • Would you go watch a high school basketball team compete against 2nd graders?

This situation is a high school basketball team that practices against a high school basketball team that plays nba 2k19 instead of practicing.

• Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up. However for those arguing that I am an inferior player because I started playing and gearing characters before GA existed, keep in mind there was never a penalty for making your roster supposedly better, gearing characters was the entire point of the game.
    Now a new rule was implemented when GA became a thing and there became a “correct/competitive” way to play the game. Adding this new rule is not the problem. The problem is they shifted the game paradigm without allowing people to adjust their rosters to fit this new paradigm, our past play style that was correct given the game at the time is now detrimental to our success in this game mode.
  • Wxrlock wrote: »

That might not seem like a totally **** statement if previously introduced game mode (TB) hadn't encouraged players to boost their GP in every way as to help the guild and in turn themselves
  • Syce
    24 posts Member
    Spend money like CG wants you to. STOP RESISTING
  • Vendi1983
    5023 posts Member

That might not seem like a totally **** statement if previously introduced game mode (TB) hadn't encouraged players to boost their GP in every way as to help the guild and in turn themselves

@HelenKeller nailed it right on the head. The people who didn't bother with full participation in TW and TB are now laughing when they are matched in GA.
  • It’s my suspicion that a very doable data-dive would yield about three easily-determined factors that can predict the victor of a GA match about 95% of the time... and total GP may not even be one of them. However, the number of high-gear characters might... same thing with total amount of secondary speed in mods or something like that. I think it’d be fun to look into all of that stuff, statistically speaking. But they’ve kind of had their hands full with reworks and character interactions, I guess. Meanwhile, I’ll just do my best when my opponents have twice as many G12 characters as I do and 50% more zetas... can’t win ‘em all.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Well if you want to take the thread this direction so be it. I was looking for a community thought process for how to be competitive given this match up.

You didn't provide enough infirmation to receive advice on strategy.
    You had plenty of advice on how to become competetive moving forward.
    However for those arguing that I am an inferior player because I started playing and gearing characters before GA existed, keep in mind there was never a penalty for making your roster supposedly better, gearing characters was the entire point of the game.

I never judged you as a player/person. I only commented on you roster.
    Building useless characters had the same effect in TW match-making as it does now in GA.
    Not having Traya when at 3.5 million GP is not a question of starting playing/gearing characters before GA existed. It's a matter of choosing not to farm key characters in the game.
    Now a new rule was implemented when GA became a thing and there became a “correct/competitive” way to play the game. Adding this new rule is not the problem.

There is no new rule. You can still play the game however you prefer. Take CUP and Lobot to g12 if you like. Noone is stopping you. Just don't expect to win GA if you don't have key characters for strong teams.
    The problem is they shifted the game paradigm without allowing people to adjust their rosters to fit this new paradigm, our past play style that was correct given the game at the time is now detrimental to our success in this game mode.

You had more than a year of TW to adjust. If you didn't by now, you can't really blame game design. You had more than a year to farm Traya. If you don't have her by now you can't really blame game design.

Post edited by Waqui on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Shortly after TB was introduced, TW was also introduced. OP had more than a year to adjust.
  • Hortus
    622 posts Member
    If you were the player on the left how would you win this GA match up? Then please expound upon how a discord bot can do this comparison and why such a tool is not utilized to help create competitive GA match ups?

Looking purely at stats, I don't see why this matchup isn't competetive. The only major advantage your opponent have is Darth Revan, and it's not completely unbeatable team. I've been in much worse situations in the past (like 40 G12 vs 10 AND big average speed disadvantage) and still has won. What really matters is how opponent's teams actually modded and how he will utilize them on defense/offense. If he won't do mistakes then probably (!) you are going to lose. But people DO make mistakes. So what you can actually do is fight for best of your abilities and have hope you'll be a smarter player.
  • Sorry for the long post, but I'm a little fed up with all this salt over GA matchmaking ...
    And OP, there is some advice for you further down the reply.

But, GA as a game mode has a certain setup and a certain definition of how to be competitive.

So does regular arena, TW, TB, raids and every other game mode. Thankfully there are subtle differences across the board which gives you the opportunity to focus on the game mode which you like the most and when you feel sufficiently competitive there, you can switch focus to another game mode.

Luckily there are many, many overlapping teams which will work in most of the game modes, which gives you the opportunity to be efficient in your improvements.

GA is - in my eyes - the game mode which rewards efficiency more than anything else.
    Efficiency in which toons to farm, to gear and to zeta, but also efficiency of the defensive and offensive strategies used.

It does NOT set out to reward fun, personaly preference or a casual approach to the game.

Matchmaking is what it is ... some may think it's fair, some may thing it's totally broken.
    But for measuring player efficiency it's pretty awesome...

Now, Dear OP, and I realise that my preaching may result in you never getting to this comment, but so be it. From the data you supplied it does seem that your chances og pulling a win are rather small.

However, the data is way too simple to **** what you can do. It doesn't come down to a Nest or DR/Malak team or the amount of zetas or G12-toons.

In my experience the deciding factor is more often who has the best secondary teams - First Order, Bounty Hunters, Palp/Vader, your second best rebels, Ewoks, Mission/Zaalbar, Night Sisters, Imperial Troopers...

The one with the best secondary teams will be more prone to get a odd win on defense or two. And sometimes even stop the opponent right in his tracks. I don't have count on how many times my KRU/Kylo/zBarris team has held the backrow or how many times my opponent has underestimated Palp/Vader/Sith Trooper.

Yes, it sucks that DR/Malak is close to impossible to beat. But if you have enough teams to clear all other defenses and one good team left for DR/Malak, you can try to beat it with an IPD team followed by a pish-posh pure DPS-team, followed by your good team. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes you'll choke.

And as with most other parts of the game, the absolutely most important thing in GA is mods.
    Mods, mods, mods.
This discussion has been closed.