Why is it so impossible to find good speed mods?

Prev1
Am I just looking in the wrong places? I’ve gotten 1 great mod, but thats it. I can’t seem to ever find any speed secondaries. The best speed secondary I have is +12 I think...

Replies

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    It's just pure RNG. You can increase your odds by farming/slicing more mods and just selling the ones that don't have speed, but at the end of the day you have zero direct control over what secondaries you get.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Each person's definition of "good speed mods" is different. For some it's +10, for others it's +25.

There are only two ways to get mods with high speed:
    1) obtain purple/gold mods, upgrade them, and get lucky that speed is upgraded the most.
    2) Obtain grey, green, blue, or purple mods, with speed secondary, and slice them, and always get speed to upgrade.

Both of these are entirely luck-based. The only way to get lots of "good speed mods" is to try over and over again. I have probably spent several hundred million credits searching for mods I consider good...and the search never ends.
  • Farm more mods.
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    Farm more mods.

and be lucky to have them roll speed
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member
    You forget they changed mods HUGE last year.... for a long time if you had a mod with only speed then lvl’d it up you were garenteed to get at least one speed boost.

The ring got gutted with the new system. The only system I got 2x 28speed mods and a bunch of 20+ speed mods. Since I haven’t gotten more than a 15speed and I hunt mods, buy speed mods from the store and have all the mod Challenges on auto (pieces and plans).

There was a short windo for god mod farming, been closed for a long time now.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Foxer wrote: »
    You forget they changed mods HUGE last year.... for a long time if you had a mod with only speed then lvl’d it up you were garenteed to get at least one speed boost.

You weren’t guaranteed to get at least one speed boost, you were guaranteed to get exactly one speed boost. You had a better chance of that becoming a +10 speed mod, but no chance whatsoever of it becoming a +20 speed mod, since the only mods showing only speed were green ones and they got one and only one secondary bump.
  • I get moderate speed.rolls.all the time.
    Got a 20 last week.
    I roll mod energy everyday until the 100 crystal refresh.
    Better mods are probably better investments than gear for most pf my roster.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member

Liath wrote: »

You weren’t guaranteed to get at least one speed boost, you were guaranteed to get exactly one speed boost. You had a better chance of that becoming a +10 speed mod, but no chance whatsoever of it becoming a +20 speed mod, since the only mods showing only speed were green ones and they got one and only one secondary bump.

Yes but most of us farmed blue mods and spun them and kept the 2 speed roll ones and left them at lvl 6 then when slicing cams available we loved them up the rest of the way then spliced them from their.... so instead of slicing a 3-5speed mod and hoping to roll speed 3-4 times you were rolling speed 1-2 times to turn that 10-15 speed mod into 20-29 speeds...

It took out more than half of the roll ring chance for a fraction of the cost....

This was a massive difference and had a short window to do it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Yes but most of us farmed blue mods and spun them and kept the 2 speed roll ones and left them at lvl 6 then when slicing cams available we loved them up the rest of the way then spliced them from their.... so instead of slicing a 3-5speed mod and hoping to roll speed 3-4 times you were rolling speed 1-2 times to turn that 10-15 speed mod into 20-29 speeds...

It took out more than half of the roll ring chance for a fraction of the cost....

So what? Had they not changed the way mods worked, you wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do that at all. Complaining that you were able to take advantage of the change by double dipping for a short window of time and now can’t do that anymore is not a basis to claim that “the rng got gutted with the new system.”
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Farm more mods.

Or you could just buy the mods with speed from the mod shipments.
  • Foxer
    461 posts Member

So what? Had they not changed the way mods worked, you wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do that at all. Complaining that you were able to take advantage of the change by double dipping for a short window of time and now can’t do that anymore is not a basis to claim that “the rng got gutted with the new system.”

I’m not complaining though I’m just explaining that’s where a majority of where god mod speed came from. It’s not from leveling and splicing mod store mods.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Grey - upgrade to 12. No speed? Sell . If there's speed, lock it and consider slicing. If it doesn't hit on the slice to green, sell it.

Green - upgrade to 9. No speed? Sell. If there's speed, go to 12. If it hits (2) on speed, lock it and slice. If not, depending on what actually got (2) I'll sometimes keep but typically won't keep slicing.

Blue - upgrade to 6. No speed? Sell. If there's speed go to 12. Ideally you get (3) on speed. But even a (2) you keep. No hits on speed I usually sell unless there's a massive secondary stat that got the (3) instead. Like +90 or more offense etc. Slice the (2)'s and (3)'s only.

Purple - upgrade to 3. No speed? Sell. If there's speed go to 12. (3) or (4) are worth slicing for sure. (2) is questionable. (1) on speed don't slice unless you really really like the other secondaries. I usually sell (1) speed purples.

Gold - lock any that show speed and sell any that don't. Or at least that's what I do. Works well so far.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Farm more mods.

Yeah, and be lucky that they roll speed.

Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I have no empirical evidence to back this up, but it sure seems like I get the most speed secondaries from the Smuggler event running today. I got 7 secondaries this time and similar results the last 2 times. If nothing else, the quality of mods that drop from it are really good, so do the top tier if you can.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I also find it instructve that 5/6 of the most recent posts are about speed and mods. So yeah, its important.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Grey - upgrade to 12. No speed? Sell . If there's speed, lock it and consider slicing. If it doesn't hit on the slice to green, sell it.

Green - upgrade to 9. No speed? Sell. If there's speed, go to 12. If it hits (2) on speed, lock it and slice. If not, depending on what actually got (2) I'll sometimes keep but typically won't keep slicing.

Blue - upgrade to 6. No speed? Sell. If there's speed go to 12. Ideally you get (3) on speed. But even a (2) you keep. No hits on speed I usually sell unless there's a massive secondary stat that got the (3) instead. Like +90 or more offense etc. Slice the (2)'s and (3)'s only.

Purple - upgrade to 3. No speed? Sell. If there's speed go to 12. (3) or (4) are worth slicing for sure. (2) is questionable. (1) on speed don't slice unless you really really like the other secondaries. I usually sell (1) speed purples.

Gold - lock any that show speed and sell any that don't. Or at least that's what I do. Works well so far.

This is pretty much my method except I don't bother with grey that aren't speed arrows, CD triangle or have a plus/triangle that has a primary I'm looking for from that particular set (tenacity cross on a tenacity mod, etc). Most circle, square, or diamond mods get sold immediately if they're grey.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    I have no empirical evidence to back this up, but it sure seems like I get the most speed secondaries from the Smuggler event running today. I got 7 secondaries this time and similar results the last 2 times. If nothing else, the quality of mods that drop from it are really good, so do the top tier if you can.
    You got lucky, darn you. :p

this

2 25s and a 28 all came from there.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Farm more mods.

Yeah, and be lucky that they roll speed.

Lol. Déjà vu. ;)

Why are you reading my thoughts?
    I usually don't humble brag (I decided to not even post about this at the time) but in the morning this thread remembered me that I had some mods from this event to level up. Then I got a +18 purple cross.
    BTW I can't do top tier yet, shame on me. :D
    >:)So what? I want Krell!
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »

If you have unlimited credits this works, I do the mods on a budget version: purple, upgrade to 3, check for speed. Blue, upgrade to 6 only if it has another secondary you want (usually offense) and check for speed. Sell all other mods that don’t have speed secondaries. I do 3x mod refreshes this way, and only slice greens that hit speed once and blue/purple that are double digits in speed. Once you have a mod that has speed in the teens, stop farming new mods and slice it to shoot for a 20+. Wash, rinse repeat. I’ve found my this method keeps your credits fairly static, with you making enough from your dailies and what you sell to still have credits left over to level new toons as you get them.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    VonZant wrote: »

I have gotten almost nothing useful. All other things being equal, the mod quality has nothing to do with the source, be it farm, purchase or event.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath wrote: »

Except everyone who farmed these green and blue mods go so lucky (yes, I’m bitter about it, since I ignored these mods chasing those +20 speed mods). Because then after the change, these mods that had a guaranteed speed upgrade or a high chance at 1-2 speed upgrades then got to slice them and also take them up to hit more upgrades. So it became the best of both worlds.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    TVF wrote: »

I have gotten almost nothing useful. All other things being equal, the mod quality has nothing to do with the source, be it farm, purchase or event.

@TVF

I wasn't sure other than it just felt that way, so after you posted this, I looked it up. It appears the Smuggler event Mod quality IS better - by quite a bit. Unlike in challenges, in the Smuggler Event You can't roll grey mods, and you can't roll 3 or 4 dot. Its even better than the ground war event (although you get more mods from Ground War they can only be blue). So top tier give you 12 of 5 dot green to gold mods.

So I guess there is empirical evidence - at least as far as quality. No idea if it effects chance of rolling speed on them though. The Top 2 of the Collage are from the Smuggler Event. The Bottom 2 are from the Top tier of the speed mod challenge.

xcviq3w3wvsm.png
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Heck, looking at it now, it appears you have a 66% chance for each mod to be a 3 or 4 dot mod in challenges. That blows. I actually learned a few things here.
  • Dan_z
    103 posts Member
    What does locking a mod actually do? Always wondered!
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Dan_z wrote: »
    What does locking a mod actually do? Always wondered!
    Excludes it from the list when you are selling.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    @VonZant all things being equal. I meant ultimate quality, not starting quality. So yes the event gives you 5 dot at specific colors. But a blue 5 dot has the same chance to have a speed secondary no matter how you got it, and the same chance to roll a given stat no matter how you got it.

Also they're health mods so automatically meh. ;)

With that said they're nice rewards. I just haven't had much luck with it.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    @VonZant all things being equal. I meant ultimate quality, not starting quality. So yes the event gives you 5 dot at specific colors. But a blue 5 dot has the same chance to have a speed secondary no matter how you got it, and the same chance to roll a given stat no matter how you got it.

Yeah agreed. I was just suprised to learn they were different quality. It also sucks to learn that it appears there is just a 33% chance for each mod to roll as a 5 dot in challenges. I sure didnt know that before.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited April 2019

Yeah agreed. I was just suprised to learn they were different quality. It also sucks to learn that it appears there is just a 33% chance for each mod to roll as a 5 dot in challenges. I sure didnt know that before.

I don't think that's right. I've tracked exactly zero data on this front, but I do 3x refresh daily and I feel like I get more 5 dot than 4 dot, fairly consistently.

Not to mention when mods really were brutal - when the mod drop rate was not 100%.