Why does Thrawn give enemies buffs?

Why? It seems so useless, and honestly makes your team in a worse position...

Replies

• UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    The speed up is handy for getting an opposing Taunt to expire quickly. I'm sure the forums will come up with a myriad of other reasons.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    It's a tactical move, but balanced. Thrawn's Speed Up turns into ability block after they take their turn, and then thrawn can stun any enemy with ability block. Neither of those debuffs can be resisted (which is rather powerful) so there needed to be a balancing key. That came with the speed up buff, but that speed up buff can also be manipulated. If you hit someone with high TM that won't make a huge difference, or you can mess around with the enemy turn order by hitting a slower character and making them go before some other support character meaning they could miss out on buffs of some kind. If the target has weak basic attack and your team can counter attack or gets some sort of buff or TM gain from being attacked making the enemy go more often can be advantageous.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Thrawn's Speed Up turns into ability block after they take their turn, and then thrawn can stun any enemy with ability block. Neither of those debuffs can be resisted

This, basically.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    You just need to think more like the Grand Admiral. ;)
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    You just need to think more like the Grand Admiral. ;)

This is the real answer.
    He didnt win fights/battles with sheer power. He used a wide variety of assets, carefully choosing when and how to do what, outsmarting the opponents.
    I think its a brilliant work from CG to represent this in the game.
  • Because Thrawn is that bad azz !!!!
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    He's bad azz what though ;)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • He works well with buff removal characters as well like Nihilus and sion
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    This explains him pretty well:

xjjbyi40qoba.gif

The devs did a good job with him.

• Vertigo wrote: »
    Thrawn's Speed Up turns into ability block after they take their turn, and then thrawn can stun any enemy with ability block.
    It's more tactical than that. Speed Up turns into Ability Block when that speed up expires, it's not tied to the enemy turn, so apply it and then remove it (a la DN basic, etc.) for insta-block.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    It was also a cool move to give an enemy the speed up buff to follow it up with a Traya's Saber Storm KO.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • It reminds me of a time in Zahn's Thrawn books (non-canon pre-Disney ones) where someone on his ship messed up as the technology wasn't ready or something so he promoted the guy to the position where he'd need to make the technology. Punish the person with a reward.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    You can also inflict Ability Block with someone else and Thrawn will stun them with his basic.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png