Why bother with GA?

sir_Phantom_Jedi
410 posts Member
edited May 2019
GA has been my favorite part of the game ... until now.

Malak is not even worth trying against, there are no guides to beat him in 3V3 so I thought I would try the Sith triumphant.

My Sith trio had arena mods and very high speeds - in the battle I got a total of one turn, and Sion could only use his basic attack, and that is ALL!!
It is insane to play a game that doesn't give you a turn (or just one) and Malak takes 7 turns, DR takes 6 and Dark Bastilla takes 8.
I hate GA now as there is no use playing if your opponent has Malak and you don't have either DR or Malak.

I've lost a lot of GA's in my time and have enjoyed losing the close battles - but I'm about to be defeated 2,500 points to 1,400 (because I beat his other teams) which will be my biggest ever defeat - because of one team.

I know some CG fan boy will say I should just quit the game but I love Star
wars and I enjoy my guild mates; I just hate the game play.
Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.

Replies

• TVF
    36578 posts Member
    The good news is that this meta, like all metas, will pass. Counters will eventually emerge (remember C3PO?) and you'll enjoy GA again.

And in the meantime, you won't face this meta every round.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    It helps a ton to send in a suicide team first to eat the fear moves from DR and Badstila. A lot of the power in a DR squad is the jump they get on you thanks to fear.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member

My Sith trio had arena mods and very high speeds - in the battle I got a total of one turn, and Sion could only use his basic attack, and that is ALL!!

You called them "arena mods" but obviously they weren't as fast as your opponent's mods. Yeah, if you're going up against the best trio in the game with slower mods than them, then you're probably going to lose.
  • Arus
    10 posts Member
    The problem is not Malak, but 3v3 itself.

Most of the toons are designed and tested under 5v5 environment instead of 3v3, 3v3 is not a well balanced mode.
    Even after this meta pass, there will always be a new meta and almost unbeatable without mirror match in 3v3
  • Best meta ever. Its all about who has the fastest revan/dBastilla
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Arus wrote: »
    49 of the top 50 squads in my arena shard suggest that the problem is Revan.
  • Neo43
    26 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Even in lower GA where malak and Revans are no where in sight, we see issues with 3v3, Jedi bastilla is a certain win on offense with the insane amount of added protection. And nightsisters are unbeatable when the zombie is speed modded so constantly taunts. They just need to get rid of 3v3 for real
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Arus wrote: »
    49 of the top 50 squads in my arena shard suggest that the problem is Revan.

The 50th guy is right
  • Neo43 wrote: »
    Even in lower GA where malak and Revans are no where in sight, we see issues with 3v3, Jedi bastilla is a certain win on offense with the insane amount of added protection. And nightsisters are unbeatable when the zombie is speed modded so constantly taunts. They just need to get rid of 3v3 for real

Bastila is not a certain win, she can easily lose even on offense to more than 3 teams. There are several ways to work around zombie too.
    Right now, DR-Malak is the only team that has no 100% first attempt counter, but even that team can be worn down. In the 3rd round of this last GA, we both placed DR-Malak in the front and I still cleared the opponent's board.
    3v3 is actually a good game mode, if you like strategy. There is still a vast number of teams and possible synergies that might have never been tested. This last round for instance forced me to find a G9 half-modded (I literally had a toon with 0 mods) counter to a G12 GK-zBarriss team, being tapped after conquering the other territories.
  • Mikek
    110 posts Member
    You do realize that it was exceptionally hard (or expensive) to get Malak first round so it seems nice that those who got it have some advantage for a limited time.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Just wait for the 3v3 TW. I'll get my popcorn ready when all the 3v3 TW defenders gonna show up on this forum again to cry about how much **** that 3v3 TW is due to DR,BSF,Malak walls. But then again, those people are probably in a 80-120m GP guild and will maybe see like 2-3 of these teams in a front territory...
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Mikek wrote: »
    You do realize that it was exceptionally hard (or expensive) to get Malak first round so it seems nice that those who got it have some advantage for a limited time.

All 8 participants in my GA round this time have him. DR/DM sits in the front bottom zone. GA matches are determined by how efficiently you clear the top two zones and the two squads around DR/DM. In 3 rounds neither I nor my opponent have cleared the DR/DM zone. No advantage has been gained. Yet.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    Given how unbelievably frustrating it was to earn Malak on the first pass, I'm pretty OK with having the advantage over a guy whose chief argument, like so many other GA whiners, is "I find it difficult, therefore it is bad."

I planned for Darth Revan for months in advance, basically as soon as Dark Bastila's kit was revealed. Then, after I'd spent almost all my resources getting him, they hit us with Malak a few weeks later, and I had to scramble just to get a team over the power requirement. Then I had to beat my head against the unbelievably difficult light side path for hours.

So you'll have to forgive my lack of sympathy for the "nyeehhhhhh I just wanna winnnnnnnn" camp.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    jhbuchholz wrote: »

All 8 participants in my GA round this time have him. DR/DM sits in the front bottom zone. GA matches are determined by how efficiently you clear the top two zones and the two squads around DR/DM. In 3 rounds neither I nor my opponent have cleared the DR/DM zone. No advantage has been gained. Yet.

3v3 GA at a certain GP level in a nutshell
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Given how unbelievably frustrating it was to earn Malak on the first pass, I'm pretty OK with having the advantage over a guy whose chief argument, like so many other GA whiners, is "I find it difficult, therefore it is bad."

I planned for Darth Revan for months in advance, basically as soon as Dark Bastila's kit was revealed. Then, after I'd spent almost all my resources getting him, they hit us with Malak a few weeks later, and I had to scramble just to get a team over the power requirement. Then I had to beat my head against the unbelievably difficult light side path for hours.

So you'll have to forgive my lack of sympathy for the "nyeehhhhhh I just wanna winnnnnnnn" camp.

Since when did they whine, since when did they say they just wanted to win? They never did. Not once. You imagined they did so you could whine and complain. You complained.

What people want is a good competition. DR/Malak/Dbast is the first squad in 3v3 history that is actually next to impossible to defeat unless you use a mirror. Every other sqaud has counters. This squad doesn't. It removes the fun gameplay, it ruins 3v3 even harder then Bast or NS squads. There is no competition anymore when its all about whoever has +1 speed on Dbast. Need to work on that reading comprehension. Malak makes the game worse for everyone, whales included. Just like with JKR meta and how we all hated it no matter whale or f2p.
  • Nasdadjr
    66 posts Member

You're not wrong. I did the same. I saved crystals for 6 months and spent none. That allowed me to save 32k crystals which went towards JKR. Then having him allowed me to save again and I got DR both on first releases. I just knew Malak had to be coming just didn't know how crazy good he would be so I still saved and was barely able to meet the power threshold. Got him as well F2p.

I understand where people are coming from. However, when you know what this game is about you have to deny impulse moves and put your self in a position to get the meta at some point. I saved for 6 months. That is six months of not using crystals on carbantis, stun guns, eye balls and so on. But now I get 1000 crystals a day, can save for the next meta and get all the gear I want. You just need to put yourself in a position to do it instead of wanting instant gratification.
  • BeralCator
    791 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »

As a F2P with a bloated roster that has participated in every GA, I've noticed the only people still participating are whales. The last few GAs I have been in brackets where every player has DRevan & Malak except me. At the beginning I used to see rosters like mine about 25-50% of the time, or rosters with bad mods, but all of those people are gone now.

As I am clearly not the only player at my GP who is F2P, I can only surmise that the more casual players just gave up on this game mode because it isn't very fun. I can still usually eke out 1-2 wins through strategy (although this last one will be my first 0-fer), but I am really questioning the effort/reward ratio now.

I'm not against big spenders getting better rewards, but I'd prefer if there was a way to do it that didn't drive away the casual player base. There are more subtle ways to disguise the caste system and make people feel like they have a chance.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    BeralCator wrote: »

As a F2P with a bloated roster that has participated in every GA, I've noticed the only people still participating are whales. The last few GAs I have been in brackets where every player has DRevan & Malak except me. At the beginning I used to see rosters like mine about 25-50% of the time, or rosters with bad mods, but all of those people are gone now.

As I am clearly not the only player at my GP who is F2P, I can only surmise that the more casual players just gave up on this game mode because it isn't very fun. I can still usually eke out 1-2 wins through strategy (although this last one will be my first 0-fer), but I am really questioning the effort/reward ratio now.

I'm not against big spenders getting better rewards, but I'd prefer if there was a way to do it that didn't drive away the casual player base. There are more subtle ways to disguise the caste system and make people feel like they have a chance.

What is your GP level? I'm at 3.2 mil and I have yet to see another Darth Revan in any of my brackets, let alone a Malak.
    Gorem wrote: »

Since when did they whine, since when did they say they just wanted to win? They never did. Not once. You imagined they did so you could whine and complain. You complained.

Need to work on that reading comprehension.

Is this supposed to convince me I'm wrong? "lol no u, ur the stupid."

People have been bellyaching nonstop about GA since it was released and it's just tiresome at this point. Either work on your roster or don't participate, but don't enter the event and then come here and moan that you lost against someone with a better roster.

If I cried foul every time someone with a better squad arena team beat me, I'd never do anything else. But I don't. I keep farming and slicing my mods and getting my speeds up, because I know that's how you win. This is no different.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• BeralCator
    791 posts Member
    BeralCator wrote: »

What is your GP level? I'm at 3.2 mil and I have yet to see another Darth Revan in any of my brackets, let alone a Malak.

My GP is 4.4mil. I've been a F2P* player since the beginning of the game, and I have pretty much every character at 7*, level 85, G8+, with nearly all of the omegas, because I get resources at a rate faster than I can use them. Pretty much all of the damage was done right after TB came out (pushed up all the Tuskens, Jawas, Clones, etc.) and while I don't use any resources on those characters anymore, there's little I can do about it now.

The only characters I don't have are Darth Revan and Darth Malak, because they were largely paywalled. I'll get them the second time around. Currently finishing up Juhani and Carth and gearing up Mission & Zaalbar.

I can't imagine I'm the only player in the game with a roster like this, yet I rarely encounter anyone similar in GA. In this bracket there's only one other guy that doesn't have Malak (and I beat him in the first round). Everyone else is clearly a P2P whale (or one of the ~800 OCD crystal hoarders who got Malak without spending money).

My only logical takeaway is that casual players like myself aren't even bothering signing up for GA anymore or they have quit the game entirely. What other explanation is there?

*I bought the Vet pack back in late 2017, but that's the only money I've put into this game.
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    3.8m GP, have yet to face a Malak. This group is typical for me, two DR and no Malak. I have both.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • obikenobi1
    113 posts Member
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a deal where if you lose the first battle against the Darth REvan, Malak and Bastilla comp, Darth Malaks hp will be less the second time around? this works vs the Darth Nihilus lead where you just send in some weak toons to die and then the protection being converted into HP goes away for the second round, leaving Nihilus with less hp to deal with. I heard the same is true with Darth Malak. He's got a lot of hp due to his protection being converted into health, but the time you go into a second battle vs him, he doesn't have protection to convert since it had gotten eaten away from the first battle, thus his overall hp is less. Reason why i'm saying all this is that in the second battle, he's very much vulnerable to a Probe Droid self destruct. Badstilla and Darth Revan will also have just used their special attacks in the first turn where your weak toons got demolished, but lasted long enough to make them use them. Then you send in the probe droid (who hasn't gotten his CD's increased because Revan and Badstilla don't have a move to inflict fear) and one shot malak. This seems to me to be an effective way to kill malaks without having a malak yourself.
  • Arus wrote: »

Most of the toons are designed and tested under 5v5 environment instead of 3v3, 3v3 is not a well balanced mode.

Agree totally.
  • Gorem wrote: »
    DR/Malak/Dbast is the first squad in 3v3 history that is actually next to impossible to defeat unless you use a mirror.

Even a mirror is a dice roll, the team is stupid in 3v3 and highlights how imbalanced that mode is.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

I'm not in that camp, I'm in the "I just wish to be competitive" camp. Believe it or not I feel more excitement when I lose by single digits in GA than win by 100's; yes there are some of us who play sport at the highest level for the competitiveness.

Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.