Is RNG fests the future of all events?

Replies

• Kluge wrote: »
    The option is to put new characters in the store, with a pricetag. If you want it, buy it. Otherwise, you have what you have.

I don't mind spending some. Between DR and Malak spent more than should have. To turn around and do this Padme one right after is overkill. The event is of poor design. I would rather spend some than wasted all that time on the RNG. Especially when she has the extra paywall of the new gear as DR and Malak.
  • The option is to try to develop a well designed Event, which is kind of fun to play. Setting up high requirements is fine, but playing such an stupid RNG **** for hours is a joke

Agreed. End game gear should walk through events. At the end of the day it is a game. No one has fun doing same battle for hours on end waiting for luck
  • The guys in here that defend CG moves make me laugh. You make them laugh too cause they keep seeing the people willing to spend 3-400 for one character
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    My biggest problem with the event was not the RNG, which was annoying, but my toons abilities not working. Take Dooku for example, out of at least 100 battles, I think I got maybe 5 shocks and 10 stuns on GK and the fish, he has 105% potency (They didn’t have protection up). It also seemed like the fish had a secret crit immunity as I couldn’t land a crit on him ever. Then there’s B2, who also seemed to get his bonus attack far less then 40% plus GK always seemed to dodge or not have the buff immunity land on him. B2’s potency was 120%. Sun fac also didn’t counter 50% of the time. Surprisingly, Magnaguard seemed to work just fine, constantly landing his stun. Anyway, glad I’m done with it.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the event was not the RNG, which was annoying, but my toons abilities not working. Take Dooku for example, out of at least 100 battles, I think I got maybe 5 shocks and 10 stuns on GK and the fish, he has 105% potency (They didn’t have protection up). It also seemed like the fish had a secret crit immunity as I couldn’t land a crit on him ever. Then there’s B2, who also seemed to get his bonus attack far less then 40% plus GK always seemed to dodge or not have the buff immunity land on him. B2’s potency was 120%. Sun fac also didn’t counter 50% of the time. Surprisingly, Magnaguard seemed to work just fine, constantly landing his stun. Anyway, glad I’m done with it.
    My Dooku and B2 would almost always land their debuffs on GK

Fish Jedi has Jolee's kit, which also includes Crit avoidance equal to half his tenacity. I had some battles where they were dodging in critical moments too which was frustrating
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    SemiGod wrote: »
    Ctharipper wrote: »
    Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.

It's called a challenge. Have fun in the real world if you dislike them...

Its not called a challenge. Malak's event was a challenge and had high level requirements but was still possible when you learnt how. This is RNG ontop of RNG ontop of RNG.

Does Padme do that, does Anakin do that, Does GK do that, does Fish do that, and at t6 and up, does Mace do that.

Many times over, with them with inflated stats. There was no thought put at all into this event. It is a roll the dice type of event.

Get the right roll and you can beat the event with weaklings. Where's the challenge in that? Five star padme is unlockable with almost one character only on the entire squad. If you restart enough. Challenge?

This game barely knows what that is. So few times it actually ever gets it right.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Got Padme but new events simply haven't been any fun of late. RNG fests don't help business model. Since Chewbacca they have only gotten worse. Can't look forward to new event characters anymore. Drop rates suck then they need end game gear to have a chance if RNG is on your side. Some of us don't have hours to look at the same fight for a character.

It's only RNG dependent if you dont have the latest and greatest. For example getting chewy without bossk or padme without new droids. New toons make it easy, but at least there's a slight possibility of getting without spending money... gotta work for it one way or the other.
  • Whatelse73
    2146 posts Member
    v6m2pgv4n1zm.gif
  • Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    CCyrilS wrote: »

It's only RNG dependent if you dont have the latest and greatest. For example getting chewy without bossk or padme without new droids. New toons make it easy, but at least there's a slight possibility of getting without spending money... gotta work for it one way or the other.

Nope. From Thrawn onwards into Chewie et al. This was no longer true. Zbossk teams made it easier but by no means were you free from RNG's grasp: you just needed to sacrifice a smaller animal.
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    Don't you know? The best games don't need things like strategy, synergy, tactics. Nobody has time for THAT. No, the best games are lottery tickets. Just enter the fight over and over again until you win, easy!

Just be glad they don't charge you per attempt.
  • From what I’ve seen if you have the paid team the event was over in short order. If you don’t have the ideal team it takes an aggravating amount of attempts. Instead of making an event “arduous”, why not make it fun? Finishing quickly isn’t fun(even if she says so) and taking hours and days isn’t either. This game really became a chore for me when heroic sith came out. The philosophy that hard = fun, or paid I win button is fun isn’t good game design.
  • Mirkraag
    509 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    I hated the Chewie event, and I hated this one. I enjoyed the Malak event. I got all three at 7* the first time. I definitely have preference.

The Malak event you either had the required toons, or you didn't. Once you started it there was NEVER a time where you had to restart because half your team was crippled/dead before you moved. It was impossible... if you didn't know the strategy. Once I learned the strategy, and remodded my team for it, then I only had to do a few runs to get it right.

With this Padmé event I had 5 gear 12 characters, but despite that I would routinely have one killed before I got a chance to move. I had to restart dozens of times to get a very precise sequence of totally random things to happen, then hope that random things kept happening in my favor. If I got really deep into a run and got one bad roll then the whole thing was shot, and it might be several hours of random restarts to get there again. I hate this. I hate that level of randomness. Spending hours upon hours of totally random dice rolls burns people out, and is NOT enjoyable.

I know they need to make money on these events. And there is ALWAYS an element of randomness. But I'm actually more OK with harsh requirements and a well designed event that needs a specific strategy to beat, but can be done in less than an hour instead of 14 hours straight of grinding away at brain killing numbing dice rolls.

So you prefer the event that 95% of the player didnt even enter into ?
    Interesting...
  • Kailen
    90 posts Member
    Shaddes wrote: »
    If you want free wins go down load any other game that caters to what you seem to need. F2P players are meaningless to CG so why would they cater to them more then they already are? They’re basically freeloading off the back of p2w players annnnd they want MOAR... the entitlement is insane

Psssssst. If CG didn't want F2P players, they'd charge for the game.

F2P players exists so that whales have people to play against, and specifically, people they can beat. Because if they were just fighting other whales, they'd leave as everyone's on the same tier. That's why F2P markets work, because games need playerbases.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Future??
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Could be worse as always. She could have been marquee... Anything past 3 star require crystals for 6 weeks. No other option. Talk about a pay wall.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    From what I’ve seen if you have the paid team the event was over in short order. If you don’t have the ideal team it takes an aggravating amount of attempts. Instead of making an event “arduous”, why not make it fun? Finishing quickly isn’t fun(even if she says so) and taking hours and days isn’t either. This game really became a chore for me when heroic sith came out. The philosophy that hard = fun, or paid I win button is fun isn’t good game design.
    And when they did that, it was the Malak event, where they narrowed the range of what could participate dramatically. And people were complaining heavily about that.

But when the event just requires a star count, and no manner of power check, what people are going in with will be all over the map.

Some lineups will always be more suitable than others, and not just because of Droideka or other new toons. Gear will range broadly. Mods will vary to an insane degree and are most of a unit's power in practical terms. No matter where you set the bar, people are going to be way on one side or the other.

And that RNG is not the result of the event being unreasonable. It's the result of trying to lowball the event when you have a poor lineup, poor mods, poor strategy, or are undergeared/zeta'd. You go in with those disadvantages and yeah, you're gonna have to get lucky to win.

How much randomness goes into a game is on a sliding scale, and which is "right" is more a question of personal preference than anything. But if they reduce the randomness, that means they raise the threshold of what is *literally* impossible.

Ahnaldt did it without Droideka or B1, and his lineup, gear, mods and zetas were such that it was relatively low RNG with reasonably sound tactics, and what he had was not insane.
    Still not a he.
  • 6Delara6
    59 posts Member
    I spent about 15 hrs to inlock 7 star padme. I did not enjoy it to say the least. However this event was easy for those that spent on the droids, and only rng to the rest of us. I understand and even agree with their approach. There has to be a significant benefit provided to those that spend thousands while at same time not alienating f2p in order for this game to continue. I think they nailed it with this event.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I 100% agree with almost everything being said on both sides. Chewie 5* unlock was not this ridiculous with old BHs. I can totally be on board with 6* and 7* being significantly harder with 7* soft requiring extremely narrowed focus characters.

But to get a RNG fest? Half the time Padme goes first the other half my Asajj goes first. Padme is all over the board with her damage. I have seen her hit for 35k and as high as 50k. It SEEMS like the AI can self clear all debuffs on a whim and land heath block every time and every one of them gets counter attack. That protection buff for level 5 is stoopid overpowered and that Calamari Healer is ridiculous. How deep into Legends did you guys dig to find this guy?

hfkns18llus5.jpeg
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    The Malak event was cool.

Chewie,and Padme are annoying RNG slogs though. WIsh we could get more like Malak, and less rng dependent events though.
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I 100% agree with almost everything being said on both sides. Chewie 5* unlock was not this ridiculous with old BHs. I can totally be on board with 6* and 7* being significantly harder with 7* soft requiring extremely narrowed focus characters.

But to get a RNG fest? Half the time Padme goes first the other half my Asajj goes first. Padme is all over the board with her damage. I have seen her hit for 35k and as high as 50k. It SEEMS like the AI can self clear all debuffs on a whim and land heath block every time and every one of them gets counter attack. That protection buff for level 5 is stoopid overpowered and that Calamari Healer is ridiculous. How deep into Legends did you guys dig to find this guy?

hfkns18llus5.jpeg

Fully agree. I don’t get the insta-clear right after B2 lands his debuff. Especially since is doesn’t happen consistently.

And the damage output of JKA is ridiculous. Screenshot below is the second move in the confrontation. First move was Padmé. Second was JKA’s AOE. Look at my GG. Mind that he is G12 with 56k health and 26k protection all gold mods...

76h0gxibkcnc.png

I am fine with a challenge, but I don’t even know where I would start improving which toons.

Worst... event ... ever
  • People keep assuming complaints is only f2p. What is considered f2p? If about 600 since start of darth revan is f2p then I'd hate to see what a 'whale' is. Also anyone content spending like that constant on this its no wonder we can't get more value for our buck.

To the one who mentioned marquee to be simple that would be cheaper than many that invested in this event did. Lets say they paid full droideka and b1 . that's easily 4-500. Now if they didn't have the gear already. Easily another 2-300 a character to gear. Now they get Padme. Need much of same things they just bought and 3x new gear (8400 crystals new gear alone) so yes marquee a been better in majority eyes.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I had zero trouble with T5 and T6. For T7 I have no GG, had to make do with Poggle. I came close twice out of probably 100-200 attempts. I'm going to have to wait for next time to finish T7.

If you don't have the optimal lineup, prepare to be at the mercy of RNG. It's fine the way it is.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    I had zero trouble with T5 and T6. For T7 I have no GG, had to make do with Poggle. I came close twice out of probably 100-200 attempts. I'm going to have to wait for next time to finish T7.

If you don't have the optimal lineup, prepare to be at the mercy of RNG. It's fine the way it is.

My problem is that I don’t know what the optimal lineup is (without paying for Droideka/ B1).

If I bring my Sun Fac to G12 will that do the trick? Or do I need IG-100 as well? Or both? With all the RNG not clear.
  • TSWPandaman
    81 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Adding rng to a "strategic" game is not a wise move. They could try to develop better mechanics, much like Rey's hero's journey (survive 6 turn) or others set conditions to win (not to not be permitted to play, like malak power-based event, that is stupid af).
    I don't want to be spending hours of frustration on a phone game.
    Another "funny" thing to me would be a reward for losing. For example, they specially design event character stats according to the gear you have them at (much like ships with the pilots). The more you lose at the event, the better the stats of the character for the event...
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    KyoO1234 wrote: »

My problem is that I don’t know what the optimal lineup is (without paying for Droideka/ B1).

If I bring my Sun Fac to G12 will that do the trick? Or do I need IG-100 as well? Or both? With all the RNG not clear.

You just read all the forum posts and it becomes obvious very quickly what the optimal lineup is. In this case it includes GG.
  • KyoO1234
    270 posts Member

You just read all the forum posts and it becomes obvious very quickly what the optimal lineup is. In this case it includes GG.

Thing is that it’s not that easy. GG with his Zeta is the obvious. But then?
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    I don't have GG so I dunno.
  • KyoO1234 wrote: »

Thing is that it’s not that easy. GG with his Zeta is the obvious. But then?

The full grievous team would be optimal. B1,b2,GG, magna and droideka.
    What most are running would be ventress, GG, B2, 4th and 5th different per. I used magna and sunfac
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    My Dooku and B2 would almost always land their debuffs on GK

Fish Jedi has Jolee's kit, which also includes Crit avoidance equal to half his tenacity. I had some battles where they were dodging in critical moments too which was frustrating

How high was your b2 potency? Mine was hit and miss at around 120 percent. End up trolled by his taunt and foresight on several matches.