Mod Swapping Bug for TW & GA - [MERGE]

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    There are user interface inconsistencies so depending how you access the characters stats you may be looking at the current state or the locked-in state. (Demonstrable with abilities as well as mods)

That is confusing in itself. It does not however explain the toon apparently having the incorrect speed in combat.
    I see the problem. It's worse than I thought. Depending where exactly you select the toon from you get either the locked-in version

mv8wkp3bt2kh.png

or the current version

ndafjaf8jd1f.png

and if as it appears the game client uses the selected version for the match then yeah, you have a really bad bug.

Possibly the worst part is that the average player is doing this randomly without even realizing it.
  • dalosto147
    282 posts Member
    So that is the reason from lots of oponents has no mods in important chars?
  • dalosto147 wrote: »

they can even lower their GP a bit by doing so, haven weaker opponents than just swapping their god mods in ...

Circle of Sin. 2 Teams. This is the way! cos.rocks
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    dalosto147 wrote: »

Or they do something dumb like change their mods for sith 5 minutes before player lock like i did once
  • DeeOhGee
    118 posts Member
    DeeOhGee wrote: »
    I say as long as it is part of the game everyone should exploit it until its fixed. Its the only way we can get them to fix it...If they even can fix it.

Just a heads up, a comment posted by Carrie in a Discord channel about this: e42x18173wha.png

Probably not worth risking a ban for some slightly better but still underwhelming rewards, lol.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • BeralCator
    790 posts Member

Yep! I've been wondering what the heck was going on there. Put no mods on your regular offense teams to keep your GP low, and then use the same set of God mods over and over during the actual TW/GA.
  • Magilla262 wrote: »
    Nope @Eleslalegenda This has been a known issue since TW was put into the game.

Yeah... I'm amazed this is a thing now. Didn't we all already know this?
  • AceCV
    993 posts Member
    edited May 2019

This is an obvious exploit since it violates all the spirit in GA and TW.

The rosters should LOCK in this features, so people could swap mods or even take them out to play the features with less GP but always BEFORE roster lock.... what they (devs) can't allow is that someone can get over roster lock using a game function like the saved squads.

This is EVEN WORST when we see that THEY KNOW about this for more than 1 year and did nothing about it.
  • DeeOhGee wrote: »
    DeeOhGee wrote: »
    I say as long as it is part of the game everyone should exploit it until its fixed. Its the only way we can get them to fix it...If they even can fix it.

Just a heads up, a comment posted by Carrie in a Discord channel about this: e42x18173wha.png

Probably not worth risking a ban for some slightly better but still underwhelming rewards, lol.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pffft. Like they ban the obvious cheaters we have reported multiple times in arena? I'll believe it when I see it.
  • @CG_Carrie if that post on discord was you, and bans are possible, the exploit works both ways. I've inadvertently brought in unmodded toons into TW and GA and lost handily because of it.
  • I think it is quite worrisome because I am an avid raid player and I always swap mods around, for each phase I swap my best mods, but after each raid I put them all back, if I then go fight in GA I would also be on CG radar for doing absolutely nothing wrong, to me this is an absolute disgrace if innocent people are facing the banhammer because of this. If they really enforce the banhammer then they should look at the squads being used in GA, if 2 squads use the same mods then it clearly is a guy abusing this exploit but you cannot simply ban people for modswapping, raids do also often happen during the same time as when GA starts.

Just saying that they really need to think before they act.
  • DaBro1197
    35 posts Member
    I'm sure they can dig in and discern who is actively exploiting this and who is accidentally benefiting.
  • RawdSW
    150 posts Member
    ****, all this time I thought people I faced just sometimes forgot to change their mods back after a raid or something. Incredible.

Even more incredible that CG apparently knew about this and did nothing.
  • scottwe99
    15 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    This was very clearly reported over a month ago. The accepted solution was we will log a ticket somewhere else you can't see or follow.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/New-Zetas-on-Characters-Available-after-GA-lockout/m-p/7785794/highlight/true#M25241
  • BeralCator
    790 posts Member
    scottwe99 wrote: »
    This was very clearly reported over a month ago. The accepted solution was we will log a ticket somewhere else you can't see or follow.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/New-Zetas-on-Characters-Available-after-GA-lockout/m-p/7785794/highlight/true#M25241

Lol. "Solved". :D
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    edited May 2019

Edit: ok your original report didn't mention squad selection, but your followuo post did. So they had the steps to reproduce it at least a month ago for sure.
  • arbster
    59 posts Member
    I knew there was a problem here - I kept finding my JKR going second against teams I should have out-speeded, and convinced myself I must have left mods off (you can't check after you've used a team), but today I did check before a fight when I should have gone first, I actually went second. So this bug isn't just causing people to be able to win unfairly, it's also affecting people negatively, as you can't be sure which mods the characters will actually use in a fight! . This game has been suffering so many quality control issues recently someone really needs to take a look at the testing processes, and perhaps some code reviews in the development process?
  • mesa176750
    663 posts Member
    Idk if it has already been said on this thread, but I also reported a similar part of this same bug. Basically Zetas and gear are also not locked if you use the squad management tool. I reported this a long time ago and you can see that here:

• scottwe99
    15 posts Member
    I didn't report that but it does mention squad selection in the 2nd comment from the reporter. Very detailed including screenshots showing the discrepancy between squad selection versus picking from the list on the left.
  • mesa176750
    663 posts Member
    DuneFlint wrote: »

Details matter. Your report says nothing about squad selection being involved. If the rep who saw that report tried it and selected han from the left instead a preset squad they wouldn't have reproduced the error. Show ke a report that explicitly says that the char/mods are wrong when you use squad selection and then I'll agree that cg was made aware of the actual bug.

So that was my report, and I did make it clear below the original post and that is how the EA guy responded to it with being solved. I showed screen shots detailing that it is also possible to use new gear levels along side the Zetas. I didn't realize the connection until later that day.
  • NoviceTrainerMS
    14 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Here's the thing, this issue with mods is a BUG. It is NOT an exploit. And exploit is a piece of software used on other software in order to change or access that software. This bug, according to the TOS, should be classified as an "undocumented feature" or "design error." It's not a cheat or a macro, nor is it hacking the game. The BUG is part of the software that EVERYBODY has, so the only people who should have their panties in a wad are the devs, since they will need to finally fix this BUG.
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    I didn't report that but it does mention squad selection in the 2nd comment from the reporter. Very detailed including screenshots showing the discrepancy between squad selection versus picking from the list on the left.

Yup, i failed on the details myself haha. Sorry. Edited my comment out. You definitely have evidence they knew a month ago at least.
  • mesa176750
    663 posts Member

That person was me! :smile:
  • scottwe99
    15 posts Member
    Great timing mesa, look up a couple comments I just mentioned your bug report. Basically squad selection lets someone bypass the TW/GA locks. This could result in both good or bad outcomes depending on what you have done with your mods. Since gear and zetas can't be removed it will usually be favorable.
  • The last GA I had 2 opponents that had NO mods on their arena team now I know why....

Unlikely they will do anything about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6f4tymJu-4&feature=youtu.be
  • DeeOhGee wrote: »

That must be the Discord Official Forum I read about in-game.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Here's the thing, this issue with mods is a BUG. It is NOT an exploit. And exploit is a piece of software used on other software in order to change or access that software. This bug, according to the TOS, should be classified as an "undocumented feature" or "design error." It's not a cheat or a macro, nor is it hacking the game. The BUG is part of the software that EVERYBODY has, so the only people who should have their panties in a wad are the devs, since they will need to finally fix this BUG.

No, it absolutely IS an exploit. You're just playing semantics....the term "exploit" has multiple meanings within the context of video games. Here, the term "exploit" is being used to describe someone intentionally taking advantage of (or "exploiting") a bug or design flaw that the person clearly knows is a bug in order to gain a competitive advantage over another player. Everyone playing this game has to agree to the EA Terms of Service in order to play this game and it is a stated violation of that TOS to: "Use exploits, cheats, undocumented features, design errors or problems in an EA Service." So you can call it a "design error" if you want but it's still a violation of the TOS to intentionally take advantage of a design error.
  • BeralCator
    790 posts Member
    This simplest solution from a development perspective would be to get rid of the roster lock entirely, and just let people use their best mods without restriction (assuming they have the credits to do so).
  • mesa176750
    663 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    bwpkyx52o3ce.jpg
    They gave me a medal when I reported that bug too lol.
This discussion has been closed.