CG's Stance on Cheating

StarSon
7411 posts Member
My previous post was closed: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/203718/what-happened-to-weve-only-just-begun#latest

I am not concerned with the duration of the ban. My concern is they went from "bro, if you cheat you're banned," to "eh, if you cheat, we'll think about telling you to stop."

I just want to know why they don't care about cheaters anymore after telling us 6 months ago they were ramping up their efforts to stop cheating.

Replies

• Preach!
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Because after this Padme event they'd have to ban themselves............queue eye roll. Ha. Had to. Man did I hate that event, but seriously I hear what you're saying. Consistency in messaging and enforcement would be nice.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    How has the mod lock bug affected their revenue?
  • Mhmacleod
    194 posts Member
    Preach!

Seeing a pattern here...🤣
  • It's been clear for a long time that they only care about banning people who have stolen directly from them with credit card fraud.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    And, clear cases with unmodded characters aside, how do you distinguish between a cheater and someone who just did an extensive mod overhaul (say, for an extremely difficult event) and accidentally took the "cheating" squad selection path?
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    And, clear cases with unmodded characters aside, how do you distinguish between a cheater and someone who just did an extensive mod overhaul (say, for an extremely difficult event) and accidentally took the "cheating" squad selection path?

Not sure, as I don't know what data they have available. But it's not like this bug has only been here for this GA. It has existed at least since December, but probably has always been there.

I suppose the answer is obvious: the "we've only just begun" post was because people were getting cheap crystals, which effects their revenue. This is just a game play exploit, and has no effect on revenue.
  • To me, it seems like they already have the data they need. For anyone who has been flagged for the Mod bug, don't they already have the capabilities to go back and see if this was a consistent problem or a one time occurrence? There have been multiple GA's, if they took advantage of the bug multiple times wouldn't that show that it wasn't an accident? Seems lazy to just say "we will be keeping our eye on you from now on,". You have the data. Ban them.
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    Considering every Battle in GA and TW has to be online-capable I'm sure their servers have some data stored based on player ID, etc. Pretty easy to go back and check: "Oh, player X used the same 5 mod loadouts on 14 attacks on the last Grand Arena round"

Hardly can argue it's accidental if you do it more than 1 time per round.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I'm not sure it's fair to ban people for taking advantage of a bug in the game that they may or may not have even realized was a bug, particularly when the devs did nothing about that bug for a year.

Take, for example, the Chimaera event where it wasn't properly enforcing the stated requirements to let people do the event (and they wound up just changing the requirements rather than going back and dealing with it). You could argue about whether it was cheating or not for people to take advantage of that bug at the time, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that anybody who did it should be banned.

Not all cheating is the same. Somebody who downloads an apk hack deserves to be banned. Somebody who takes advantage of a bug that the devs themselves created in the game might deserve a warning first.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's fair to ban people for taking advantage of a bug in the game that they may or may not have even realized was a bug, particularly when the devs did nothing about that bug for a year.

Take, for example, the Chimaera event where it wasn't properly enforcing the stated requirements to let people do the event (and they wound up just changing the requirements rather than going back and dealing with it). You could argue about whether it was cheating or not for people to take advantage of that bug at the time, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that anybody who did it should be banned.

Not all cheating is the same. Somebody who downloads an apk hack deserves to be banned. Somebody who takes advantage of a bug that the devs themselves created in the game might deserve a warning first.

So, in this latest instance, someone who purposefully moves their arena set to each team before attacking shouldn't be banned, because even though they are cheating, the game let them do it so it's not their fault?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

So, in this latest instance, someone who purposefully moves their arena set to each team before attacking shouldn't be banned, because even though they are cheating, the game let them do it so it's not their fault?

I don't have an opinion on whether they should be banned or not. But I do think that there's a fundamental difference between exploiting a bug created by the game and using an external hack to cheat. So IF the devs decided that those two things should be treated differently, I would not think that decision was inherently contradictory or an indication that they "don't care anymore."
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    If you want to know, please feel free to message the dev team and ask.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »

Remember when the game kept sending raid rewards to certain players and ea/cg considered it to be cheating if you opened more than 2 or 3?
    How about using (bugged, not yet fixed) Nest vs JKR teams?
    Guildhopping?
    Point being, using game design flaws in your favour isn't always an exploit/cheating. This puts us, the players, at the mercy of ea/cg without us being able to know what is and what isn't acceptable to use in our favour.
    Save water, drink champagne!
This discussion has been closed.