Prepare for the next event

Edward
630 posts Member
Legendary alike events where you can get 7* characters are the most important ones that can change the game drastically. There are only two basic requirements: certain characters and gear & other resources.

If you are FTP, it would be nearly impossible and very costly (to your crystal stash) to panic farm the required (particularly for newly released) characters, which is why I plan for every event to get them 7* the second round. For PTP, they can spend hundreds if not thousands to panic farm and on the gear.

However, you can save enough gear for the next big event because you know you will need them which is why I have been saving for enough gear, Omegas & Zetas, credits...for two g12 squads. The reason for this is that there has been a new trend like Darth Malak which requires two squads at high gear level.

Another thing worth mentioning is that try not to attempt the event by wasting gear on required characters when the events first come live, best to wait for a few days and let others to work out which squad (characters) work best, what’s the minimum gear level, then you can decide your minimum investment for maximum returns.

One last thing is when you get the new possibly meta defining characters, try not to waste gear on them immediately to the highest gear level you can reach. Best practices are to wait for others to test their effectiveness against the current meta, assess their date of expiry, and look out for possible nerf.

I find best practices are to skip gearing one or two characters acquired in such events. From my observation, some previous meta characters had a very short expire date and disappeared from arena in one or two months time and I successfully avoided wasting gear on them. They are still very good, just not worth to gear comparing to other characters like CLS.

Get ready or feel pity!

All above only applies to FTP, thanks all PTPs’ continuing support for this game!

S2DAFUa.png
OaQePDC.jpg
9mz6YAT.png

Replies

  • kello_511
    1057 posts Member
    This is actually good advice, much better than your typical brag posts!
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    @TangoFoxtrot

    Here you go.
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    This is actually good advice, much better than your typical brag posts!

    While I actually hope people can learn more from my other posts because those ones actually stab them in their hearts. This post is the worst I have ever done.
  • Legend91
    802 posts Member
    Edward wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »
    This is actually good advice, much better than your typical brag posts!

    While I actually hope people can learn more from my other posts because those ones actually stab them in their hearts. This post is the worst I have ever done.

    Yeah, because we don't get an updated show-off screenshot of the carbanti stack.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    Legend91 wrote: »
    Edward wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »
    This is actually good advice, much better than your typical brag posts!

    While I actually hope people can learn more from my other posts because those ones actually stab them in their hearts. This post is the worst I have ever done.

    Yeah, because we don't get an updated show-off screenshot of the carbanti stack.

    I am farming the new gear atm. maybe I will show off the new gear in two months’ time :#

    But I certainly won’t miss any events because of (old) gear. That’s what I can control and I totally own it. Padme is the living proof of my strategy.
  • evoluza
    2129 posts Member
    Living proof at g1?
  • Ultra
    3572 posts Member
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?

    As much as you can, for Padme event, I only needed to g12 another there characters which has saved me 40% gear (2 out of 5).

    If not sure, use Darth Malak event as guide and work out the gear you need, for each gear, find out the highest number required for a character, then x5 so you alway have extra.
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Living proof at g1?


    Farming new gear for one.

    And waiting for more proof that she could effectively counter the current DR/DM meta.
  • Manumicio
    191 posts Member
    Well it's not that i didn't also already think about such kind of strategy...but, i always fall back and use the stuff i saved before :D
    Swiss Garde Officer, drop me a message if you're interested joining
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?

    This is a great question, and I've also found is faction dependent. Here's some output of some planning work I was doing prior to Darth Revan coming out (and Malak blowing away any plans I had of gearing NS or GG at the time...thanks Malaka). It's not 100% complete as I think I excluded some items that I had excess of (HAAT reward gear), but gives a general idea of faction variability. I'm thinking Clones would be useful information to have at this point.

    b8ndgjyi6fkf.png


  • Not sure if it's worth it to get a character that is not going to be used, imo that's hoarding for the sake of hoarding...
  • Liath
    4388 posts Member
    Not sure if it's worth it to get a character that is not going to be used, imo that's hoarding for the sake of hoarding...

    You never know when a character that previously wasn’t used for anything will suddenly be required. You can’t farm a character in a week when requirements are announced. If you have all the characters farmed then you can quickly apply saved gear to whatever characters are newly required and thereby be ready for almost anything.
  • Edward wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Living proof at g1?


    Farming new gear for one.

    And waiting for more proof that she could effectively counter the current DR/DM meta.

    Why worry about meta when you explicit said that you don't care much about the game?
    >:) So what? I want Krell!
  • kello_511
    1057 posts Member
    edited May 14
    evoluza wrote: »
    Living proof at g1?

    Living proof at 7*, which is more than many ptp players can claim.
    The point will be lost on many but it’s very true:

    A new legendary event will come. Probably sooner than you think. While none of us knows what the requirements for it will be, what we can do to prepare is to hold onto some resources so that we have flexibility when it happens. Or you can spend money for that same flexibility. I don’t really care either way, but if you don’t want to spend a lot then this strategy is paramount.

    Despite all of this, there are people gearing every toon in their inventory, placing every gear, using every zeta, spending every credit. And then they will whine when a new event comes and they aren’t in a position to take advantage of it.

    Hoard -> spend resources for event -> spend a bit more (luxury) -> hoard up again
    If your hoard gets large enough between events then you spend the overage however you want.

    ^^This is the cycle that any of us can follow and have a good chance of succeeding at almost every event.
    Or you can choose to play “paycheque to “paycheque” if you prefer - just know that it will have consequences down the road and own your decision when that time comes.
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Hoarding only works once you have an established character base. If you don’t have at established character base, then you won’t be able to do well enough in arena, fleet arena, & raids to be able to save enough to be worthwhile. Players who are regularly placing outside top 200 in squad arena and outside top 50 in fleet arena are not going to be able to accumulate enough crystals by hoarding to get the next best thing when it comes out. So for those players, I would recommend farming and gearing teams that can at minimum get to those arena milestones and also prepare teams for the heroic sith raid. Once players can do moderately well in both arenas and finish top 10 in the sith raid, they will then be in a position where hoarding can be effective.
  • kello_511
    1057 posts Member
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    Hoarding only works once you have an established character base. If you don’t have at established character base, then you won’t be able to do well enough in arena, fleet arena, & raids to be able to save enough to be worthwhile. Players who are regularly placing outside top 200 in squad arena and outside top 50 in fleet arena are not going to be able to accumulate enough crystals by hoarding to get the next best thing when it comes out. So for those players, I would recommend farming and gearing teams that can at minimum get to those arena milestones and also prepare teams for the heroic sith raid. Once players can do moderately well in both arenas and finish top 10 in the sith raid, they will then be in a position where hoarding can be effective.

    Good point and one that should go without saying (but I know that it doesn’t)

    You can’t expect to spend 1-2 years less than someone else in the game and still “catch up” to every new event toon who comes along. You need to put in some combination of time/money to catch up.
  • Damodamo
    745 posts Member
    So you managed 6* my actual hero..

    Good work hoarding dude..

    Oh wait I managed it and I’m completely f2p, only at 5* admittedly, but, I’m sure if I wasted some of my stock I’d have 7* the padme event...
    (See what I did there ;) )
  • UdalCuain
    2845 posts Member
    Damodamo wrote: »
    So you managed 6* my actual hero..

    Good work hoarding dude..

    Oh wait I managed it and I’m completely f2p, only at 5* admittedly, but, I’m sure if I wasted some of my stock I’d have 7* the padme event...
    (See what I did there ;) )

    What are you talking about? Clearly he got Padmé at 7*.
  • TVF
    15187 posts Member
    I guess they were confused by the "85" part or ignored the "185" part.
    TVF's guild is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?

    I actually pulled these numbers recently so I can give you specifics.

    Based on all characters in game, the average toon needs:
    212 carabantis
    142 cuffs
    105 guns
    104 gold eyeballs

    So 2 g12 squads would need
    2120 carbs
    1420 cuffs
    1050 guns
    1040 gold eyeballs

    A total crystal value of
    140,970
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    Think you've already lost at the game if you have to take it so seriously. :3

    Ah, but you are ftp. Time is apparently less important than money. ;P

    Nope, I only spend minimum time to play, doing 600 and mandatory guild events, sim or tag all raids.
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    edited May 14
    kello_511 wrote: »
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    Hoarding only works once you have an established character base. If you don’t have at established character base, then you won’t be able to do well enough in arena, fleet arena, & raids to be able to save enough to be worthwhile. Players who are regularly placing outside top 200 in squad arena and outside top 50 in fleet arena are not going to be able to accumulate enough crystals by hoarding to get the next best thing when it comes out. So for those players, I would recommend farming and gearing teams that can at minimum get to those arena milestones and also prepare teams for the heroic sith raid. Once players can do moderately well in both arenas and finish top 10 in the sith raid, they will then be in a position where hoarding can be effective.

    Good point and one that should go without saying (but I know that it doesn’t)

    You can’t expect to spend 1-2 years less than someone else in the game and still “catch up” to every new event toon who comes along. You need to put in some combination of time/money to catch up.

    I think it also works for less experienced players, because they always rush in and spend all the gear for new characters without thinking through. This strategy actually helps them see better which characters (factions) are actually worth g12.

    I am talking about general playing strategy. And you were talking about farming priorities and I have seen a lot of videos on this topic, who and which faction to farm first, then next, then after that.
  • Nikoms565
    11076 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?

    I actually pulled these numbers recently so I can give you specifics.

    Based on all characters in game, the average toon needs:
    212 carabantis
    142 cuffs
    105 guns
    104 gold eyeballs

    So 2 g12 squads would need
    2120 carbs
    1420 cuffs
    1050 guns
    1040 gold eyeballs

    A total crystal value of
    140,970

    While that is excellent math and the effort is appreciated, when you put it like that, it's **** depressing. :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I will still work up Genosians. They were an important part of that Clone Wars era. Sooner or later they will get love.
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    Good advice Edward

    What do you recommend is enough stockpile gear for two g12 squads? How much carbs, gold balls, stun guns should someone keep in reserve?

    This is a great question, and I've also found is faction dependent. Here's some output of some planning work I was doing prior to Darth Revan coming out (and Malak blowing away any plans I had of gearing NS or GG at the time...thanks Malaka). It's not 100% complete as I think I excluded some items that I had excess of (HAAT reward gear), but gives a general idea of faction variability. I'm thinking Clones would be useful information to have at this point.

    b8ndgjyi6fkf.png


    No need to do that much work or to be that accurate. Just find some familiar characters and do an average, or better, pick the higher number, times 10 for two squads.
  • Edward
    630 posts Member
    edited May 15
    I will still work up Genosians. They were an important part of that Clone Wars era. Sooner or later they will get love.


    Best to hold gear until they are actually reworked and wait until they are tested to worth further investment comparing to other decent characters.
Sign In or Register to comment.