Retrospect: Ships 2.0

124Next

Replies

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Deadp00lTV wrote: »
    3v3 is the worst thing they could’ve done for ships. Literally went from 2min matches to literally 4 min per match. It’s as stale as it’s ever been. And the devs seem to not want to touch this thing with a ten foot pole or increase viability or versatility with any ships that aren’t rebel or shipments restricted.

Ehm no. Most matches are done in like 1-2min, the Bistan, Biggs mirrors even faster.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Ehm no. Most matches are done in like 1-2min, the Bistan, Biggs mirrors even faster.[/quote]

RNGesus must love you
  • Options
    Ships are so boring :/
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Ships are so fun :)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Both arenas get stale quickly and designing Rock / Papers / Scissors with the complexity and number of interactions between 173 character kits and 42 ships has to be a daunting task. If you just accept that one team will always generally "outperform" other teams and that the user community, with its relatively limitless resources, will find it then we can move onto a more interesting conversation.

We just need more stuff to do with ships. Add two more capital ships, expand ship zones in both TW and GA, and create a ship raid. I think a lot of us basically accept that arenas get stale quickly, but that doesn't mean there aren't things that can be provided to let us enjoy the content more.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    Options
    I remember making a post when it started that it would be a distraction for them to make us forget about the utter lack of ships content in the game, and that there would be little to no follow up on it. It seems I was right, as since then we still have only four capital ships, have received only a few new ships, one new ship legendary, no ship raid or other significant event (cargo ship events don’t really count), and, worst of all, a very stagnant meta game. It seems even though it could have great potential, ships will forever be put on the back burner.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    I remember making a post when it started that it would be a distraction for them to make us forget about the utter lack of ships content in the game, and that there would be little to no follow up on it. It seems I was right, as since then we still have only four capital ships, have received only a few new ships, one new ship legendary, no ship raid or other significant event (cargo ship events don’t really count), and, worst of all, a very stagnant meta game. It seems even though it could have great potential, ships will forever be put on the back burner.

Im fine with one legendary for now only 42 ships. Dont need a legendary for every 3 ships.... every this else u said point on its a joke the neglect ships has
  • Options
    Reinforcement abilities is a nice concept. Other than that ships 2.0 isn't very good. The meta is even more stale than characters and if you don't have the meta ships, you are most likely not having fun either with either time out matches or waiting for the capital ship ultimate. There is just nothing interesting or fun about ships right now. A ship raid and several more ships (especially capital ships) would help but I did prefer the 5v5 format more overall.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think we should have a Grand Arena or TW with an experimental 5v5 version of Ships 2.0
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    I think we should have a Grand Arena or TW with an experimental 5v5 version of Ships 2.0
    Wouldn't really mesh too well with the 2.0 concept of reinforcements. The game limits you to 5 ships in play so you couldn't RI until you lost a ship.

And just imagine how 5 starters would play with the current Rebel LOLassist meta... :s
  • Whatelse73
    2163 posts Member
    Options
    Deadp00lTV wrote: »
    Ehm no. Most matches are done in like 1-2min, the Bistan, Biggs mirrors even faster.

RNGesus must love you[/quote]

No kidding, even if I get my ships up to the same numbers, it seems some days the AI just says, "naw, you ain't winnin today!" and I get almost no assists from the Falcon. But at the same time, the AI gets 2, 3, 4, 5 assists from rebel ships again and again. Usually if my Falcon survives the first volley, I can win.

The problem with fleet arena right now is CG relies on "RNG" to make it 'exciting' but it is anything but. I can beat someone 10 times in a row, then one day RNG just decides I'm going to lose 1, 2, 3, 4 times in a row no matter how perfect I play. I'd rather there be skill than this excessive reliance on RNG during matches. At the same time, I feel like far too often the AI gives itself better rolls. Even if I can recover from that because it is dumb, it still seems to have more advantage with buffs, bonuses, assists, crits, and the like than I get. (i.e., an AI ship dodging/deflecting 3, 4, 5 times in a row).

Going back to 5v5 fleet arena would be a good start. The RNG has less impact in 5v5 than 3v3, by a long shot. But, like I said before, CG has pretty much ignored fleet / ships since 2.0 came out last year and there's no sign they are going to change that any time soon.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm very delighted by Crumb's latest blog post about ships

It tackles all the current issues plaguing ships (Hounds Tooth and ****), it addresses the lack of ship content and fatigue, and a new capital ship

Given the interest, it is safe to safe that when Episode 9 draws closer, we might end up having Capital ships of both factions respectively

If we do get a stream of new capital ships, I hope they reduce the amount of prestige required or increase the flow of prestige
  • Hal_10000
    161 posts Member
    Options
    I'm one of those rare people who love fleets. The main issue now is that the meta is dominated by HT+Falcon, which CG seems eager to address. I don't want those ships to become useless but I do want to have some variety so that a smart player can win with different fleets (especially important for new players, so they can pursue different avenues to success).

One thing I would like: more thing to do with my fleets! The new post mentions a potential raid. But how about a ship assault battle? That would really leverage the unique aspects of ships (reinforcement abilities, in particular). Something like Destroy the Executor. Use your ships to fight through waves of tie fighters, take out the shield generators, then destroy the bridge. Rework your fleet reinforcement so that ship-to-ship dominators like the Falcon come first then bombers finish the job in the later stages. Or recreate Poe's attack on dreadnaught. You could even introduce real bombers (B-Wing, Y-wing, MG-100) that aren't good against other fighters but can affect the enemy capital ship or be used only in a raid/assault battle context.

There are so many possibilities of what to do with ships outside of arena. I want more ships; but what I really want is more to do with them.
  • Options

If we do get a stream of new capital ships, I hope they reduce the amount of prestige required or increase the flow of prestige

I started hoarding prestige instead of spending it on the last ship that needs it, Mace. I am wondering how much hoarding is sufficient for potentially two more Caps. Anyone?
    I'm with you @Hal_10000 you made several good points.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options

I started hoarding prestige instead of spending it on the last ship that needs it, Mace. I am wondering how much hoarding is sufficient for potentially two more Caps. Anyone?

I believe you need 1950 prestige to max a cap ship from scratch.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    Options

I'm with you @Hal_10000 you made several good points.

costs per ability level:
    • Total per ability: 390
    • Total per capital ship (x5): 1950 (1 crew + 4 ship)
  • Options
    Fast responses, thanks. I made another purchase to put myself at 1950. Good for one, hope I can accumulate enough before they add 2 Caps.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.