Late Game State and Revenue

Prev1
No_Try
4051 posts Member
As a player analysing the set of events, I put a special mark to the Chewie release. That's the point where the constant bombardment of leg/hero events started. That has put the competetive/semi competetive portion of the community into a treadmill. One can choose to keep developing other stuff, yet if you can grab the new thingie, that doesn't make strategic sense. As a result optinality of long term actions contract to the point there's hardly any left.

This got followed by the premature actions (releases, fixes, changes) and numerous rollbacks from them due to developers' long term vision. I have no gripe with rollbacks and changes on default, I can say I agree with most of them depending on each instances nature. The prematurity and communication during these processes is what impacted the morale and trust of the community tremendously imho.

Here's a data set. This is coming from reddit posts by the user rockseiaxii. Since it's from one of those market analysis websites, it may not fully reflect the reality, I believe there should still be correlation with the actual situation.

I hope that this is a local minima, just like other temporary trend of minima and maximas.

Please refer to the forum guidelines if you are gonna post a reply since this is a rather touchy topic.

g1x90cope1ol.jpg

Replies

• Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    they took a significant hit on March with how accessible and delayed Darth Revan turned out to be which is when they started all the increased money making strategies

Surprised April wasn’t a lot higher with the new gear (5600 crystals for Revan and 11.2k for Malak) and the panic gear for Malak for those who had Darth Revan and JKR

I think previous year they had solo content in April so you had a lot of whales going in on those marquees, especially Enfys Nest. Not sure what the big draw was last year. Could also be a continuation of people spending in March with respect to the newly launched Sith Raid
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    It’s well beyond time for a new raid for both the ships and characters. How about start paying attention to ships for a change. Why do we only have 4 capital ships still?
    GA is fun and all, but we desperately need something else that’s fresh to do, and I’m not talking about a reskined TB. I’m a launch player and I’m getting a little bored with nothing new of substance coming out. Engage the player base and the money will follow.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    they took a significant hit on March with how accessible and delayed Darth Revan turned out to be which is when they started all the increased money making strategies

Surprised April wasn’t a lot higher with the new gear (5600 crystals for Revan and 11.2k for Malak) and the panic gear for Malak for those who had Darth Revan and JKR

I think previous year they had solo content in April so you had a lot of whales going in on those marquees, especially Enfys Nest. Not sure what the big draw was last year. Could also be a continuation of people spending in March with respect to the newly launched Sith Raid

The # of people who had JKR was 11k something in the first run due to swgoh.gg top 100 (I have it somewhere screenshotted right before 2nd release). Respectively DR is 18.8k and 13.3k for Malak. Ofc this may not directly convert to revenue.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    They would be making more money if they ever rotated the G12+ gear in weekly shipments, but they don't have the sense for it. 5 weeks of the same gear now!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    It’s well beyond time for a new raid for both the ships and characters. How about start paying attention to ships for a change. Why do we only have 4 capital ships still?
    GA is fun and all, but we desperately need something else that’s fresh to do, and I’m not talking about a reskined TB. I’m a launch player and I’m getting a little bored with nothing new of substance coming out. Engage the player base and the money will follow.

Everything you said is true.... But we as a group should all understand the concept of the HSTR was probably supposed to last 2x to 3x longer than what they had planned IMO.

Honestly by the next pass of JKR there SHOULD (maybe not) be a MASSIVE influx of guilds beating HSTR

6 months ago getting Traya was mandatory.... now she is kind of like GK (a must have at somepoint) but better options.... is she enough to make people leave longtime non HSTR guilds (It should be....but maybe not)
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Palanthian wrote: »
    They would be making more money if they ever rotated the G12+ gear in weekly shipments, but they don't have the sense for it. 5 weeks of the same gear now!

I'm posting all the time about things they could be doing to make more money and satisfy people at the same time..... What I've come to realize is there are people a lot smarter than me dictating what they do because it will make more money than whatever I think.....

Sometimes I question the sanity of those people....but again fiscally speaking they are the ones with the "how to make money on phone games degrees from phoenix university" experts..... no matter what I think they have to be smarter than me right ? I'm just a drunk trailer park supervisor from sunnyvale...the liquor tells me what to do and think
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Laffer curve in effect? Once a certain point is passed, the more you squeeze, the less you get...
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    evoluza wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

I'm posting all the time about things they could be doing to make more money and satisfy people at the same time..... What I've come to realize is there are people a lot smarter than me dictating what they do because it will make more money than whatever I think.....

Sometimes I question the sanity of those people....but again fiscally speaking they are the ones with the "how to make money on phone games degrees from phoenix university" experts..... no matter what I think they have to be smarter than me right ? I'm just a drunk trailer park supervisor from sunnyvale...the liquor tells me what to do and think

You posting mostly ship stuff...
    That does not make money and isn't enjoyable. I question your sanity, for liking ships.
    Why would ships make money.....nothing to do, no reason to buy... same with toons right now and possible reason for income decline.... Events stale, TB stale (being remedied), TW going mega stale for the future, Raid on sim (this is good hopefully tank soon), HSTR all that's left and while NOT trivial for a large percentage of the game... my guess it's vastly trivial to the people who do spend all the money in this game... How do you release content only for the TIP (crazy hard) without angering or severly hampering the other million people... I'm guessing can only be done with a raid and rewards are the problem... Tier 1-6 need in include all the rewards tier 7 has...just at a decreased rate that way guilds don't break up people dont' whine.... whaletips get satisfaction.... everyone else catches up in 2 years
    HSTR rewards and distribution are the worst

There is a reason ships are un-enjoyable for some people and that can be remedied and be the last possible refuge to make money in the game down the road....

It's touchy.... The TIP hates ships because there is kind of no way for them to dominate people and get that "i'm the best buzz" that's why there is still lots of ways to monetize ships... and again at the same time probably the majority of F2P players are actually only Surviving on ship crystal income... I'm not sure what kind of effect that will have totally yanking it away from them...

anyway ship kits have not flown the coop totally yet and with only 42 ships honestly I really do feel down the road ships is going to be one of the last refuges CG has to make money in the game...

I don't care either way I just want more ship content...so yeah I"m greedy
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

That does not make money and isn't enjoyable. I question your sanity, for liking ships.

Different people like different things.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

Why would ships make money.....nothing to do, no reason to buy... same with toons right now and possible reason for income decline.... Events stale, TB stale (being remedied), TW going mega stale for the future, Raid on sim (this is good hopefully tank soon), HSTR all that's left and while NOT trivial for a large percentage of the game... my guess it's vastly trivial to the people who do spend all the money in this game... How do you release content only for the TIP (crazy hard) without angering or severly hampering the other million people... I'm guessing can only be done with a raid and rewards are the problem... Tier 1-6 need in include all the rewards tier 7 has...just at a decreased rate that way guilds don't break up people dont' whine.... whaletips get satisfaction.... everyone else catches up in 2 years

There is a reason ships are un-enjoyable for some people and that can be remedied and be the last possible refuge to make money in the game down the road....

It's touchy.... The TIP hates ships because there is kind of no way for them to dominate people and get that "i'm the best buzz" that's why there is still lots of ways to monetize ships... and again at the same time probably the majority of F2P players are actually only Surviving on ship crystal income... I'm not sure what kind of effect that will have totally yanking it away from them...

anyway ship kits have not flown the coop totally yet and with only 42 ships honestly I really do feel down the road ships is going to be one of the last refuges CG has to make money in the game...

They will never run out of content. At least 2 new tv shows coming to Disney + with another set of movies just announced. Disney isnt about to stop making money on this franchise. As long as EA has gaming rights this game will move along. Star Wars always captures peoples hearts and wallets.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Laffer curve in effect? Once a certain point is passed, the more you squeeze, the less you get...

Possibly, how you squezze and how much you squezze ends up mattering greatly. I don't think they squezzed too much, they just pinholed the squezzing to a single method that's tiresome and hurtful for our enjoyment.
  • TVF wrote: »

Very true, me personally I have zero interest in Ships. I am leveling them for events etc but I do not persue PVP. I'm not interested in space battle on rails. That's me though, others like it.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Monel wrote: »

They will never run out of content. At least 2 new tv shows coming to Disney + with another set of movies just announced. Disney isnt about to stop making money on this franchise. As long as EA has gaming rights this game will move along. Star Wars always captures peoples hearts and wallets.

Having content is not the problem never was and your right never will be. The problem is having a reason to spend on that content. Why no one cares about ships because there is nothing to do or any reason to spend there.

There is an unlimited amount of toons that can be released.... But what in game content is available to make you want to spend on it....

This GA has 6 D spots for my GP... I don't think people will spend the kind of money they used to for a Grand Arena TW team (they might but not like they used to).

Same for TW.io

Arena- people will always spend for this...but arena toons and kits enticing people to spend are getting out of hand.

Raids- people will spend on toons to complete a raid always.. HSTR created a bump in revanue right ? How do they release a new raid (they never probably intended to make as HSTR was supposed to be the be all end all right ?) where it's god awful hard enough for the TIP to keep them spending while not making the lower tier rewards so bad that the rest of the game don't rage...... HSTR rewards are arguably pathetic for T1-6 and for the bottom 40 in heroic.... HSTR is basically boiled down to can you get top 10 in heroic yes AMAZING. No.... now you have what 97 % of the game scrambling to find a guild they can get top 10 in or just not giving a rat's patoot.

The problem is a new raid will end up the same way if rewards structure is the same 97% of the game just won't give a patoot BUT that 3% will and fund the game for another year......at that point I would probably personally just be happy we get another year do my moaning and whining about the rewards structure BUT STILL BE HAPPY FOR THAT extra year of play.

Everything else.... currently no PVE content outside of one or two teams may need to be geared for new TB map that anyone would even consider spending on..,..

All the new amazing toons and teams that can be coming for movies, books, cartoons, streaming shows do not mean crap from a money point of view if there is no where to use them to earn something outside of arena.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member

Having content is not the problem never was and your right never will be. The problem is having a reason to spend on that content. Why no one cares about ships because there is nothing to do or any reason to spend there.

There is an unlimited amount of toons that can be released.... But what in game content is available to make you want to spend on it....

This GA has 6 D spots for my GP... I don't think people will spend the kind of money they used to for a Grand Arena TW team (they might but not like they used to).

Same for TW.io

Arena- people will always spend for this...but arena toons and kits enticing people to spend are getting out of hand.

Raids- people will spend on toons to complete a raid always.. HSTR created a bump in revanue right ? How do they release a new raid (they never probably intended to make as HSTR was supposed to be the be all end all right ?) where it's god awful hard enough for the TIP to keep them spending while not making the lower tier rewards so bad that the rest of the game don't rage...... HSTR rewards are arguably pathetic for T1-6 and for the bottom 40 in heroic.... HSTR is basically boiled down to can you get top 10 in heroic yes AMAZING. No.... now you have what 97 % of the game scrambling to find a guild they can get top 10 in or just not giving a rat's patoot.

The problem is a new raid will end up the same way if rewards structure is the same 97% of the game just won't give a patoot BUT that 3% will and fund the game for another year......at that point I would probably personally just be happy we get another year do my moaning and whining about the rewards structure BUT STILL BE HAPPY FOR THAT extra year of play.

Everything else.... currently no PVE content outside of one or two teams may need to be geared for new TB map that anyone would even consider spending on..,..

All the new amazing toons and teams that can be coming for movies, books, cartoons, streaming shows do not mean crap from a money point of view if there is no where to use them to earn something outside of arena.

Ok, so new pve content is the answer. What do you want? I am not being sarcastic here, I can't think of anything they can do that basically isnt a reskin.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I thought Aurra Sing was this big step in a new direction that had amazing potential.

A toon with abilities and zetas that had to potential to be amazing in raids and future raids (people now saying a new raid won't have topple) but not being Arena worthy....

This could have sent things in a whole new awesome direction... People who wanted to beat HAAT and HSTR would be able to get these toons and drop gear and zetas on them to help their guild beat a raid...

I thought more of these toons were going to be the future... raid toons vs Arena toons....

Then JKR came trivialized HSTR, trivialized Arena....god amonst everything.... and now to ensure arena profits keep coming in teams are needed to beat him and then beat that which beats him and so on.....

No reason to invest in a toon for a raid now...

One could say now Aurra was the biggest waste of resources i ever had in the game.... With arena teams being what they are now.... I dont' think I would EVER invest in a toon with raid specialty like aurra again.

Would take a future raid with new characters with raid only specialties to get me to possibly invest money into which just leads us down the rabbit hole of JTR/NS phases of the raid..that will eventually become trivialized by the next big arena toons or something...

seems like it always comes back to revan.... heck he is a QOL improvement when it comes to raids...can't complain about him other than in the current state of PVE in the game..why would we need to spend on anyone else long as he is around :)

That's the hurdle right now for the game...content that revans do not trivialize that needs us to spend on new toons......seems like a crazy hurdle
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Very true, me personally I have zero interest in Ships. I am leveling them for events etc but I do not persue PVP. I'm not interested in space battle on rails. That's me though, others like it.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with not liking it. There's something wrong with calling someone else crazy because they like something you don't.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Same for TW.io

Ok, so new pve content is the answer. What do you want? I am not being sarcastic here, I can't think of anything they can do that basically isnt a reskin.

This is the problem really. People are always asking for something more to do, but not just a slightly different version of the old thing, and how many times can they really come up with new things and how quickly? Arena, TW, GA, and the original GW are largely self-adapting. All they have to do is release new characters and these modes fit themselves around that by utilizing other players’ actual teams. But PVE content doesn’t work like that and requires huge amounts of development work and creativity to come out with new stuff, and the expectations people seem to have around it aren’t really sustainable.
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Same for TW.io

This is the problem really. People are always asking for something more to do, but not just a slightly different version of the old thing, and how many times can they really come up with new things and how quickly? Arena, TW, GA, and the original GW are largely self-adapting. All they have to do is release new characters and these modes fit themselves around that by utilizing other players’ actual teams. But PVE content doesn’t work like that and requires huge amounts of development work and creativity to come out with new stuff, and the expectations people seem to have around it aren’t really sustainable.

My take on this game has always been that's it's just something to collect, like baseball cards. The fact that there is pvp and pve is a bonus.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    One could say now Aurra was the biggest waste of resources i ever had in the game.... With arena teams being what they are now.... I dont' think I would EVER invest in a toon with raid specialty like aurra again.

This is a exactly how I feel about Aurra right now. Such a waste of a zeta.
  • TVF wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with not liking it. There's something wrong with calling someone else crazy because they like something you don't.

SWG had space battles, you could chase, hide, etc..hella fun. But yeah, to each their own.
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    I thought Aurra Sing was this big step in a new direction that had amazing potential.

A toon with abilities and zetas that had to potential to be amazing in raids and future raids (people now saying a new raid won't have topple) but not being Arena worthy....

This could have sent things in a whole new awesome direction... People who wanted to beat HAAT and HSTR would be able to get these toons and drop gear and zetas on them to help their guild beat a raid...

I thought more of these toons were going to be the future... raid toons vs Arena toons....

Then JKR came trivialized HSTR, trivialized Arena....god amonst everything.... and now to ensure arena profits keep coming in teams are needed to beat him and then beat that which beats him and so on.....

Would take a future raid with new characters with raid only specialties to get me to possibly invest money into which just leads us down the rabbit hole of JTR/NS phases of the raid..that will eventually become trivialized by the next big arena toons or something...

seems like it always comes back to revan.... heck he is a QOL improvement when it comes to raids...can't complain about him other than in the current state of PVE in the game..why would we need to spend on anyone else long as he is around :)

That's the hurdle right now for the game...content that revans do not trivialize that needs us to spend on new toons......seems like a crazy hurdle

Lol I love Aurra in p3, but so not worth two zetas. Did 3.7m with her lead/nest, but hstr is getting boring. I loved it up until the past month or so, but they haven’t released any [non-bugged] toons in months that let you do more and excel. I’m stuck doing the same squads for the same damage. Give me one more p3 team, at least! I spent a year mastering hstr, now I catch myself semi-autoing most of it and still getting 20m+ dmg. It borrrrrringggg.

That said, I like ships. Don’t really like how speed is defined by gear and mod level (regardless of *quality* of mod), but it’s where I get most of my zeta mats, and it’s fun to find squads that stay in top-5 in my shard every meta. Maybe I like it because I never fall far on defense, but there is an unearthed quantity of tweaking and strategy that can be utilized by CG to make ships just as complicated as PvP arena. Lol or keep it simple and give us some new content. Besides the random events...those are easy.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member

Lol I love Aurra in p3, but so not worth two zetas. Did 3.7m with her lead/nest, but hstr is getting boring. I loved it up until the past month or so, but they haven’t released any [non-bugged] toons in months that let you do more and excel. I’m stuck doing the same squads for the same damage. Give me one more p3 team, at least! I spent a year mastering hstr, now I catch myself semi-autoing most of it and still getting 20m+ dmg. It borrrrrringggg.

That said, I like ships. Don’t really like how speed is defined by gear and mod level (regardless of *quality* of mod), but it’s where I get most of my zeta mats, and it’s fun to find squads that stay in top-5 in my shard every meta. Maybe I like it because I never fall far on defense, but there is an unearthed quantity of tweaking and strategy that can be utilized by CG to make ships just as complicated as PvP arena. Lol or keep it simple and give us some new content. Besides the random events...those are easy.

I loved ships until Ht was released (and really for a period in 1.0 when everyone had the same chimaera fleet). Now it’s really just a chore to get crystals everyday. Do you still like fleet with the falcon/rebels meta?
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    One thought: Breathe some new life into GW. There are any number of ways to do this that have already been posted a bunch of times, but for me it's either a daily sim or a way to inch closer to completing my BH prestige quests.

Could use the mode to give ships some action: Have some nodes be ships rather than ground-toons.

Even better, make it more than just a single-path completion. Let the player choose which way to go at some junctures--maybe some paths use ships, others don't. Some paths harder than others (for the challenge of it, or just more loot).

And maybe the rewards at the ends of the paths differ, so the player can decide which path to pursue.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Time in game is a balancing act. The devs have obviously decided to focus our time on newer content by letting us sim GW.
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    And that's fine...those who want could still do that. Doesn't mean that others shouldn't have other options.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    DocDoom wrote: »
    And that's fine...those who want could still do that. Doesn't mean that others shouldn't have other options.

The Devs have stated they have concerns about people burning out because they do all the things. And on this point I agree with them. People cannot be trusted.
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    LOL okay, I guess all the people asking for more PvE content better not get what they're asking for, because it would take more time. Glad you're here to tell us these things.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    You are welcome.