Rotate shards to break chats and freshen things up

Replies

• Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    @Ultra 100% disagree with you! Some shard chats are controlled by a small group of chummy guildmates and whales like mine (11 guys all from the same guild in mine). My gear/mods are equal to theirs but was told I don't spend enough on the game thus don't deserve top 10 rewards. Just because yours is open to people that have invested in their squads and mods not all are the same. Having regional shards with the exact same payout time is the best solution so it forces everyone to grow their squads and not get protected by a syndicate and everyone competes to a single PO time.
    So we should get rid of guild chats too? This is guild collusion than anything else
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »
    Richfxxx wrote: »
    I see lots of complaints on forum about shard chats preventing people climbing rank.

I'm a member of three shard chats.

Now they've spread to GA!?!??!

Or to alt accounts....

I know, I didn't make my poor joke clear enough.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I see lots of complaints on forum about shard chats preventing people climbing rank.

Or to alt accounts....

This seems to be a recurring problem for you.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    @Ultra 100% disagree with you! Some shard chats are controlled by a small group of chummy guildmates and whales like mine (11 guys all from the same guild in mine). My gear/mods are equal to theirs but was told I don't spend enough on the game thus don't deserve top 10 rewards. Just because yours is open to people that have invested in their squads and mods not all are the same. Having regional shards with the exact same payout time is the best solution so it forces everyone to grow their squads and not get protected by a syndicate and everyone competes to a single PO time.
    So we should get rid of guild chats too?

Definitely.

The only thing worse for the game than guild chats are forum chats, where people go to Discord to complain about the forums.

Actually the one thing I can think of that's even worse than that is a Guild Forum Chat, where people go to a discord to complain about the forums while potentially not realizing the discord is actually a front for a guild, and they may find themselves brainwashed into joining that guild.
  • Richfxxx
    449 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    Would just mean players forming new shard chats monthly. As long as you can search a name on swgoh.gg and get their ally code, you can form new shard chats

Would still disrupt the chats as you wouldn’t know which shard they are moved to and probability of say 20 or even 10 people from same chat moving to same shard would be highly unlikely given how many people play the game

You do realise, that it's quite easy to contact each other in-game,

But if your on different shards to people you chat to it would be irrelevant since you can’t help/manipulate the shard together
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member

Or to alt accounts....

This seems to be a recurring problem for you.

I subscribe to the "throw enough at the wall and eventually something will stick" theory of comedy.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »
    So we should get rid of guild chats too?

Definitely.

The only thing worse for the game than guild chats are forum chats, where people go to Discord to complain about the forums.

Actually the one thing I can think of that's even worse than that is a Guild Forum Chat, where people go to a discord to complain about the forums while potentially not realizing the discord is actually a front for a guild, and they may find themselves brainwashed into joining that guild.
    You seem to have reddit confused with discord ;)
  • Sometimes people are closer to their shard chat friends than their guild mates... if CG were trying to pis everyone off then maybe they could add this to the list.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Regardless of how anyone feels about shard chats, this is the fastest way to kill the game.

Why????!!!

Players who do pay, do so knowing it will give them an advantage in areas of the game such as thier shards. If every so often you change that advantage and leave them in a worse situation, you are likely to turn off players in large quantity and all at the same time. This is bad for the longevity of the game.

Also, how does it work? What rank are player put at when the new shard opens? How is fair to have someone who was top 10 when they went to bed now end up in the 100s due to a shard swap?

There are big problems when a system like this is proposed. Some games do it by leaving everyone rankles until they battle.... this can lead to large swings in ranks that I stated above. How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    ^Agreed. However....
    Kyno wrote: »
    Some games do it by leaving everyone rankles until they battle....

I don't know what this means but it sounds painful.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

Post edited by Dar_Penthar on
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Shaddes wrote: »
    Regardless of how anyone feels about shard chats, this is the fastest way to kill the game.

Then why isn’t the game dead yet? These chats have been around A very long time and the game is thriving

I agree. Which is why that I said shuffling up shards is the fastest way to kill it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankless" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

No, when a shard opens the last person to join starts in last place. How do you “move up” if you are rankless and moving up is defined as switching ranks with the person you beat?
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited May 2019

I agree. Which is why that I said shuffling up shards is the fastest way to kill it.

Nah.... People have invested too much time and money to just walk away... Addicts need their fixes, There would be a lot of whining and complaining about it though... But that would be no different than now and eventually people would stop whining as shard chats became a thing of the distant past.

• JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Breaking up shards wont do anything the top guys will just make another shard chat. Everything is wai.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Nah.... People have invested too much time and money to just walk away... Addicts need their fixes, There would be a lot of whining and complaining about it though... But that would be no different than now and eventually people would stop whining as shard chats became a thing of the distant past.

or people could just stop whining about them now?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JVU420 wrote: »

Come on you know that will never happen....

• Liath wrote: »
    No, when a shard opens the last person to join starts in last place. How do you “move up” if you are rankless and moving up is defined as switching ranks with the person you beat?

Then do it based on number of arena wins at the end of a season. The more wins you get the higher your rank. Then they could add in match making based on winning % to get a season Champion.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JVU420 wrote: »

Come on you know that will never happen....

Right, but the whining that will inevitably go along with shard rotations will somehow magically just stop?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)
    Right, but the whining that will inevitably go along with shard rotations will somehow magically just stop?

Of course not, but it might be reduced as people are not intentionally being excluded from the top spots by a group that does not allow them in. People are always going to complain.

If a shard chat is inclusive of everyone in the shard then I have no issue with it. It is the chats that exclude people that annoy me.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    This is quite possibly the worst suggestion ever made in the history of this forum.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Of course not, but it might be reduced as people are not intentionally being excluded from the top spots by a group that does not allow them in. People are always going to complain.

If a shard chat is inclusive of everyone in the shard then I have no issue with it. It is the chats that exclude people that annoy me.

So why should the devs care more about your problem than about the problem other players have with the proposed sollution?
    You gotta realize that rotating shards affects everyone, not just the players that exclude others from that shard chat or the players that are being excluded.
    I have a good relationship with my shardmates, fun guys. Now because some guys on another leaderboard are excluding players from their chat and you don't like that, the devs have to place me on a different leaderboard every month? Yea, not thanks buddy.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I’m not sure how you keep messing up who you’re quoting but I didn’t say that.
  • DadKev
    314 posts Member
    I think the shards are fine just the way they are. I am not a top 100 player and never will be. Its not yhe end of the world if you don't finish in the top spot. Move on.
  • JasFonz
    317 posts Member
    Ahh the age old argument on shard chats. Well given the fact that most people in those chats have been there for ages proves what any arena is about. Domination!

Arena isn’t supposed to be fair. It’s supposed to be a cut throat environment where anything and everything is permitted. Where’s the fun in playing nice and letting 100 odd players climb to 1 everyday?

I’ve been sitting in top 5 ever since this game came out and I play for arena. The shard chat is the only group keeping this game interesting. We theorycraft and let members who proved they can stick up top, join us. Tourists get fought and it’s fun to see em fight back. That’s what arena is about.

You want something safe, go play Territory Battles where all rewards are the same. Leave arena to the people who actually like to fight.
  • Richfxxx wrote: »

Doesn’t affect me as I’m only top 100 but top players suffer a lot.

So why not rotate shards periodically, say once a month?

Would freshen all arenas up and add a bit more fun/interest/challenge/competitiveness to the game. Wouldn’t be to hard for devs to introduce either and would reduce complaints/rants/whining on forums

Considering people already complain about GA matchups...not sure how you can "make it fair" for rotating shards.

Shard chats are fine...there are probably some that are too brutal but most are about not hitting others during payouts.

Then do it based on number of arena wins at the end of a season. The more wins you get the higher your rank. Then they could add in match making based on winning % to get a season Champion.

And why should I be "punished" for working harder to finish at the top of my shard?

Essentially, I push hard to make it to the top only to be slotted with other top players in 3 months.

Why would anyone shot for meta then? Better off being bad because it won't matter in a few months.
  • JasFonz wrote: »
    I’ve been sitting in top 5 ever since this game came out and I play for arena. The shard chat is the only group keeping this game interesting. We theorycraft and let members who proved they can stick up top, join us. Tourists get fought and it’s fun to see em fight back. That’s what arena is about.

You want something safe, go play Territory Battles where all rewards are the same. Leave arena to the people who actually like to fight.

Based on your comments it sounds like you don't like to fight... since only the worthy are allowed to stick and there is a group vs one mentality to the perceived tourist. 10 vs 1 isn't a fair fight.

• JasFonz
    317 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    @Dar_Penthar presumption is the mother of all [Removed - CM] .

If I’m sitting in top 5 is cause I do love to fight and I sometimes take off mods and drop a little to fight my way back up. Don’t mistake being in top 5 consistently and not ever leaving.
    Post edited by EA_Joz on