Curious about your thoughts on this.

Prev1

Replies

• Agreed with it
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Interesting and probably not a lot of points that many can find issue with.

I particularly found interest in the "no dolphins" point. I think CG have definitely made it so there's really not much point spending a little bit of money. They'd prefer a few people spending a lot of money rather than a lot of people spending a little money. This has always struck me as precarious and not a particularly sustainable business model. You have to be very, very careful to keep your whales happy...you become slaves to them in effect. If they depart then you're left with nothing - which seems a really risky business model. Better, surely, to develop a large amount of people that pay a "small" amount - you spread your risk effectively.

But am I surprised? Not particularly...these games are ephemeral things...they come and go. CG have clearly decided they always need to make as much money as possible in the shortest period of time knowing that the games days are, by definition, numbered. A move which therefore goes on to effectively number the days of the game even quicker. So it's something of a dangerous move.

It is what it is.

I think what's important as a player of the game is to decide upon your relationship with the game and with CG - how are you going to play, what will your expectations be. If it makes you happy doing what you're doing (whether that's whaling or spending nothing) then that's great. But if it's annoying, upsetting, troubling you then time to move on.

Like many others I'd imagine - I'd gladly spend 10 pounds/bucks a month. Gladly. I'd be happy to pay that money to a company that makes a quality game I enjoy. But currently, what's the point? It won't really do anything at all for my game and my squads. But CG don't want that...they want my 4000 a month! Which is never going to happen...I have a family and a mortgage. So CG will make nothing out of me. And it doesn't have to be like that.

Post edited by CoastalJames on
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Coastal James did a great job of summarizing many of the key points. I also thought the points brought up about the "forced meta" were spot on. As was the piece about CG paying lip service to meta diversity, while actively and directly "punishing" theory crafting - to the point of eliminating creativity from the game.

As a launch player myself, they pretty much nailed how many of us feel, including the recent apathy - which is part of the reason the "us" is a smaller number than a year ago.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    all i hear is salty gamechangers
    Ofcourse the game has had it's peak, but they're just talking out of their behinds mostly.
    It's okay to lose interest over time, it will inevitably happen. I've never liked every aspect of the game and still don't. The longer i play, the more i get annoyed by those things. Whereas before i'd gladly re-mod my entire roster, even before mod management was a thing, having to keep track on swgoh.gg, now i don't even bother remodding a single team. It is what it is..
    Funny enough, none of what they said is actually a problem for me. I had a good chuckle when they said theorycrafting was dead and then followed up by saying arena pre-malak buff was about strategy. Turns out most of us (including myself) are noobs who don't actually theorycraft, the counter was already ingame but none of us had discovered it yet and got peeved off by the malak buff and ani nerf. Ofcourse we do like to think we're tactical geniusses when we used spoonfed ani and obvious counter palp...
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Krjstoff
    633 posts Member
    They'd prefer a few people spending a lot of money rather than a lot of people spending a little money. This has always struck me as precarious and not a particularly sustainable business model.

A single mobile game is not a sustainable business in general. No matter how you put it, it will only have a limited life expectancy. Therefore, as a huge gaming company, you have to generate as much revenue as possible, as quickly as possible. Because maybe the game will last a few months, maybe 3 years.

We can easily agree that having 10.000 dophins would be more sustainabel than having 100 whales spending a hundred times more, would benefit the game in the long run. A few players get salty over the latest addition? No biggie, the player base is still rather broard and strong and it'll be easy to "lure" new players to the game to compensate for spending lost.

But creating a base of 10.000 dolphins supposedly takes a lot longer than attracting 100 whales, and since a mobile game may only last a few months, they can't afford to hope for enough regular light spenders to gather, and that's why they blatantly suck up to the largest whales instead.

It simply takes less effort to keep 50-100 Krakens happy, than continuously pleasing the masses for months and months.

• Krjstoff wrote: »
    A single mobile game is not a sustainable business in general. No matter how you put it, it will only have a limited life expectancy. Therefore, as a huge gaming company, you have to generate as much revenue as possible, as quickly as possible. Because maybe the game will last a few months, maybe 3 years.

Exactly the point I made.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Meh. A business model targeting whales can be a lot more f2p friendly than one targeting minnows.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Meh. A business model targeting whales can be a lot more f2p friendly than one targeting minnows.

Why?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Why?

competing vs a few whales is easier than vs loads of minor spenders.
    Imagine not being able to unlock drevan/malak because you're f2p, but anyone who's willing to spend 10bucks does unlock them. You'd be worse off than you currently are.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Why?

Because if something is very expensive then only a few people will have it. If you can get the latest shiny for $10 then everybody willing to spend $10 will have it, which means there are a ton of people who have something the f2p doesn’t. Better for the f2p that it costs $300 and a lot fewer people have it.
  • Liath wrote: »

Why?

Because if something is very expensive then only a few people will have it. If you can get the latest shiny for $10 then everybody willing to spend $10 will have it, which means there are a ton of people who have something the f2p doesn’t. Better for the f2p that it costs $300 and a lot fewer people have it.

Yeah, I'd agree in that context. I guess I'm not necessarily referring to the latest shiny thing. I dunno...I'm far from an expert (or I'd be a lot richer) but I just think it would be better for business if the game was designed so that people would be able to significantly improve their teams for a smaller amount of money. Sure - keep the new shiny stuff for the whales, but also make it worthwhile for people willing to spend a bit of cash rather just than those willing to spend thousands. The two sides aren't mutually exclusive. A good business model, I would think, would encourage absolutely everyone to spend some money - both small amounts and large amounts. Hoover the lot up. Focussing solely on the whales makes the game, and profits, hugely dependent on such a small percentage of players. Risks are not spread evenly.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Why?

Yeah, I'd agree in that context. I guess I'm not necessarily referring to the latest shiny thing. I dunno...I'm far from an expert (or I'd be a lot richer) but I just think it would be better for business if the game was designed so that people would be able to significantly improve their teams for a smaller amount of money. Sure - keep the new shiny stuff for the whales, but also make it worthwhile for people willing to spend a bit of cash rather just than those willing to spend thousands. The two sides aren't mutually exclusive. A good business model, I would think, would encourage absolutely everyone to spend some money - both small amounts and large amounts. Hoover the lot up. Focussing solely on the whales makes the game, and profits, hugely dependent on such a small percentage of players. Risks are not spread evenly.

If you succesfully encourage everyone to spend, you've effectively lost your entire f2p playerbase. Whether it's due to them becomming spenders, or quiting because everyone else spends and outperforms them because even the little amounts significantly improve their teams.
    I think the originale statement by the devs got taken out of context by mobile gamer though. It's not like there aren't any light spenders playing this game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

I think the originale statement by the devs got taken out of context by mobile gamer though. It's not like there aren't any light spenders playing this game.

How so? Actions speak louder than words and their recent actions back up Carries statement 100%.

not carrie's statement, the one about there only being whales and f2p players.
    Please, lets not go down the rabbit whole that is carries tweet again...
  • echo33
    51 posts Member
    I do agree, we definitely need to make SWgoh more "new players friendly" if we want to keep healthy playerbase. Also it seems to me that this game is Extremely Guild dependent, which is a "double-edged" sword and right now, with so many Old/skilled players leaving, the guild system (Concerning mainly independent guilds) is falling apart, making the game experience even worse as it is. Lets be frankly, Kotor content was kinda deal breaker, after JKR the situation was not great, but it was still so so, no reason to throw the towel, though the Drevan + Malak Disaster (sry, there is no better word for this), combined with 5 hard nodes attempts change and new gear walls (like mk8 biotech salvage, Kyrotech gear) - that was something that many, many players (both F2P and whales) simply couldnt "swallow" and pulled the plug. With the new Clone wars content inbound, there is still hope that the game will recover, but im not sure if EA/CG will be able to learn from the previous mistakes and start listening to the voice of the player base. For example - Increasing Hardnode attempts (permanently) from 5 to 6, bringing back MK8 biotech salvage as HAAT reward, More PVE (not guild related) content (including new challenging events) - something like that could make a good re-start.
  • There are now two videos concerning the decline of the game and Game Changers Program. Everything ends. It will either evolve and get better or it will go the way of the dodo.
  • Hantal86
    217 posts Member
    Does a permanent increase from 5 to 6 nodes really make a difference? It’s hardly the mass overhaul some elements of the game need
  • echo33 wrote: »
    I do agree, we definitely need to make SWgoh more "new players friendly" if we want to keep healthy playerbase. Also it seems to me that this game is Extremely Guild dependent, which is a "double-edged" sword and right now, with so many Old/skilled players leaving, the guild system (Concerning mainly independent guilds) is falling apart, making the game experience even worse as it is. Lets be frankly, Kotor content was kinda deal breaker, after JKR the situation was not great, but it was still so so, no reason to throw the towel, though the Drevan + Malak Disaster (sry, there is no better word for this), combined with 5 hard nodes attempts change and new gear walls (like mk8 biotech salvage, Kyrotech gear) - that was something that many, many players (both F2P and whales) simply couldnt "swallow" and pulled the plug. With the new Clone wars content inbound, there is still hope that the game will recover, but im not sure if EA/CG will be able to learn from the previous mistakes and start listening to the voice of the player base. For example - Increasing Hardnode attempts (permanently) from 5 to 6, bringing back MK8 biotech salvage as HAAT reward, More PVE (not guild related) content (including new challenging events) - something like that could make a good re-start.

You must’ve missed the other thread on this same topic
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/204691/curious-about-your-thoughts-on-this
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    The difference is between swgoh and other mobile games is STAR WARS. All those other games are limited by no lore, smaller less dedicated fan base. Clash of clans does not have TV, animated and movie properites to build from.

In theory if the keep releasing new PVE content along with the new toons from new shows. Get permission to do legends characters. Even if games profits drops still making Profit. CG just needs a way to bring playerbase back together some how.

Guess what Palp shuttle and ebon hawk could have made CG money if there was something to do with them.... would suck for F2P but if they did 5 galactic chases at once and released an assault battle that awarded a zeta or omegas or stuns or eyeball salvage.... or a legendary (that idea really hurts a lot of people but would bring the $$$. But the assault battle with great rewards at least f2p could maybe do two tiers and just have to grind to the top....

Game could go on for years.... i just dont think the bosses at EA do
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Edit: Mods merged threads and made it look like I double posted.
    Post edited by Jarvind on
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TVF
    36519 posts Member
    19 minute video from two YouTube mouths complaining? Pass.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    19 minute video from two YouTube mouths complaining? Pass.

Mouth complaining about mouths complaining? Here’s the attention you seek, friend. You’re welcome!

Spot on.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Art and media—hiding posts criticizing the game in obscure forum links lol.
    can't hide if you use discussions:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussions