Rotate shards to break chats and freshen things up

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Richfxxx wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Also I think it would increase overall revenue. Right now so many people don't spend on the Arena mode (crystal refreshes) because it is a fruitless endeavor if you are not part of the elite shard chat group.

Lastly it would also increase revenue in other areas because the same people getting the top rewards don't have to spend a thing to be guaranteed access to the newest content because they already have a free steady crystal income.

So a player going from 1 to 1000 because this game is international and the swap happens when they are asleep, they wake up and battle to see they are now rank 1000. How exactly does that level of fairness not have an issue that would need to be addressed?

I find it funny that people think that spenders dont spend because they get an income. They spend because they can/want to. They spend on top of that income, not to supplement it.

People tend to not like being "forced to spend" saying that someone will climb from 1000 to 1 and spend all the way to get there is true, but many more will not, knowing that they will have to do this each shuffle, or be committed to thier phone right after swap time to keep rank.

It opens up a whole bunch more problems that dont exist now.

We all need to keep in mind that we are talking about a problem, against 50 (ish players in a shard chat), to solve for 5-10 (ish players, the people in the shards that feel this is unfair, but actually have a shot at a top spot, and care enough to take it), that effects 1000s.(shards are massive and many still have 2-5k players in them just floating along happily playing the game)

So to avoid losing rank, couldn’t the shuffle be shard to shard without losing rank? All the 1st place players swap shards, what ever rank you are at time of shard move you swap with equal rank in another shard. So no one loses rank unfairly.

Also my original post about rotating shards was not solely about shard chats. It was about freshening arena up a bit too. By rotating you get to battle different people as well rather than same ones every single day forever

Then you run into, new chats, people "losing investment" because there are more "whales" in the new shard. Also the dev team would have to consider a balance of PO times, going from being in your own PO, to one with 5 players would cause issues.

There are many issues that arise from shuffles and all of them create new problems we didnt have before and create those problems for a lot more people than they solve the current "issue" for.
  • Broxxor
    595 posts Member
    Not to mention @Kyno that it doesn't even solve the original problem.

The minute everyone is shuffled is the same minute that a brand new shard chat forms. It will happen near instantly.

The only people who will be left out in the cold are guys that were "carried" in their chats (i.e. that couldnt make the top 10 or whatever but were in the chat and getting mods removed, etc). Those are few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

Getting rid of shard chats would not suddenly allow the guy who wasn't able to climb to be able to climb.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    mesa176750 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Shard chats are fine

People who don’t have solid team or mods to climb just like to blame it on shard chats

Ultra, I have had the teams and mods and have climbed to 1st several times, however my shard chat refuses to let me in.

That doesn't invalidate the fact that lots of people don't have the team and/or mods and blame it on shard chats.

100% correct could be a few thousand... also correct could be 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20.

How on earth could 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20 ever be correct?

It doesn't happen like that. If that many people were trying to break into the top 5, there's no way for a shard chat to stop them. Contrary to "popular belief", usually only the top 5-10 places are relevant. No shard chat guards the top 50 or even the top 20.
  • People who are complaining abt arena chat are really complaining abt arena and metas. Nothing that is proposed is related to arena chats...just abt arena.
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    I would hate a shard shuffle. As already said, just new chats would be formed. I understand, that some are mad wirh these mafia chats.
    I am in a shard chat, which is really small and we are asking people, if they want to join. We do not lock them. It is just there to organize our payouts.

But if there are on some servers these mafia types: what would happen, if it would be possible to have during the last minutes before the payout the posibility of "multiple placements"? Say a "one day joker time" for the guy at 1st, that he won't be moved in the last 10 minutes, but can be attacked by another guy. If this other guy wins, he is in these few minutes also at place 1, both get their 1st rewards.

That would relax for both sides the payout. Of course, this will cause some programing problems.

I hate the idea of rewards for the highest achieved placement on a day. Many players just move during their own payout hour. With the highedt placement rewards "everybody" moves the whole day. A player will then much more often be bumped, during the time he wants to climb, cause there is no time structure anymore.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Shard chats are fine

People who don’t have solid team or mods to climb just like to blame it on shard chats

Ultra, I have had the teams and mods and have climbed to 1st several times, however my shard chat refuses to let me in.

That doesn't invalidate the fact that lots of people don't have the team and/or mods and blame it on shard chats.

100% correct could be a few thousand... also correct could be 200-300 people getting screwed over by 20.

As usual if you read the post in context it would make sense.... try bra

EDIT : 200-300 not getting screwed because if they could win would form own shard and OG 20 would be crying like sissys to get back into the rotation.....

Like i said.... if you read it this time is LIKE tfv said “ they dont have teams or mods to do it”

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    I see lots of complaints on forum about shard chats preventing people climbing rank.

I'm a member of three shard chats.

Now they've spread to GA!?!??!

Are there GA shards now?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    Daishi wrote: »
    Would just mean players forming new shard chats monthly. As long as you can search a name on swgoh.gg and get their ally code, you can form new shard chats

Would still disrupt the chats as you wouldn’t know which shard they are moved to and probability of say 20 or even 10 people from same chat moving to same shard would be highly unlikely given how many people play the game

You do realise, that it's quite easy to contact each other in-game,
    But if your on different shards to people you chat to it would be irrelevant since you can’t help/manipulate the shard together

You do realise, that it's quite easy to contact each other in-game, right?! Also members of your shards.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Shard chats are fine

As usual if you read the post in context it would make sense.... try bra

EDIT : 200-300 not getting screwed because if they could win would form own shard and OG 20 would be crying like sissys to get back into the rotation.....

Like i said.... if you read it this time is LIKE tfv said “ they dont have teams or mods to do it”

It doesn't make sense because there's no possible way for 20 players to screw over 200-300 players. Vice versa could theoretically be possible, but it's never going to happen for various reasons, not just because their teams suck.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Yea shuffles are bad cause u can get a worse arena by being a newer ish player getting into a day 1 shard full of wales or day 1 players going into newer shards and dominating arena bt mixing it yes u break up shard chats ish for about 3-4 days and they will be back so not a good fix for that but causes alot of different issues
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    How do we address that magnitude of unfairness when they change to a system that shift players like this?

Well you don't have to address any unfairness because everyone would start "rankles" after the shard shift. Then active players would move up by defeating other players. When the servers were first opened this had to happen right? Start an Arena Season like so many other games do. After the Season is over shift the shards.

Looks like tournaments for me. No thanx! I like that everybody can fight a handfull of battles or two, and only have the stress the last hour before payout to collect their rewards. With your suggestion, whoever fights more battles 24/7 will win more battles and rank higher. I believe far more players will be put off by this.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Shard chats are fine

@Ultra

lol, that's such a **** and useless response that helps absolutely no one.

I have a fully maxed out Darth Revan team and I still hate shard chats because they keep people like me from reaching #1 rank.

I can easily reach #1 rank but I'm being attacked and being held in a battle for 5 minutes by the shard member so the guy in #1 rank gets his payout while his buddy is literally preventing me from moving up.

Your entire point is ignorant and stereotypical.

Have you tried to contact your shard chat? Have you been hitting people all hours of the day? Have you made any effort to coexist with the rest of your shard?

Most people who complain about shard chats are the people who are causing trouble for the shard.

I used to be with them but they're mostly insecure narcissistics. So I left.

And no. I don't hit them when I'm not supposed to. I go for #1 when it's my payout but they don't let me. They have one of their buddies get the spot and keep it until my payout passes.

May I suggest to battle him? After all, it IS an arena and not a gift hand-out.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

But that's not the way it works.

The first 1000 people to log in and battle would end up ahead of the 1001st person, regardless of any other factors.

Unless this is a proposal to change to a different type of arena style. The issues of switching shards far out way the benefit.

Correct Sir/Madam it would be a new Arena 2.0 which would replace the current model

It would be tournaments 2.0 - not Arena 2.0.
  • botabu
    246 posts Member
    Just get rid of the traditional arena for end game players. Make personal raids, or two day, 12 hour, grand arena tournaments.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Pile wrote: »
    Take the crystal rewards out and the problem takes care of itself

Yes, most likely due to this destroying the game. It is hard to say that removing or altering the game mode connected to the best source of free income, is good for the game. That is unless a better source is introduced.

Many players build and plan every action with this primary basis, and not all chats are the same. To change this or remove this would destroy years of plans that many have built, know they could rely on this income.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    In reality, any shard shuffle would make things less fair for everyone.

Shards are filled as people join the game, one shard at a time until full.

Any shard shuffle would lead to some players being placed in shards with people who have been playing longer, and some placed with people who have been playing shorter.

Length of time playing is the only equalizer in squad. Any shuffle would make this leveler go away.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Shard chats are fine

Not really, shard chats can turn nasty very quickly. Most people are normall but only takes a few **** to ruin it for everyone.
  • Zzyymm
    51 posts Member
    Nerds sitting in their basements skyping each other, to stack a mobile games arena :D

Right? I guess if dominating an electronic game that you carry around in your pocket is what does it for you, then have at it.

Although I'll probably never have any hope of ending the day at #1, I really enjoy this game. The developers have made something special that I truly hope will last and continue to grow.

That said, this whole thing feels like price-fixing. Also, the concept of "not attacking when I'm not supposed to?" Absurd to say the least.
  • I never went very high in arena (never into top 50), but that was my doings, my choices. I would guess I'm in a pretty early arena shard (Nov 2015), and it would be horrible to be put in a new shard. Right now there is not much competition to float in the 100-200 range, and I could stay under 100 if the time was put in. But if I was put into a new (mixed) shard with 20,000 active, equal GP, players, I'd rethink my time spent playing. No way in the world I want to start fighting to finish in the top 5000.

Now, if they wanted to put me into a shard with only 50 or so players..............Sure.

But really if the developer wanted to address/change this, there are so many easier ways to accomplish it, rather than spending valuable resources in programming a shuffle (and the time spent fixing the bugs that go along with it).

Most casual players don't see it as an issue.
  • TVF
    36586 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Zzyymm wrote: »
    the concept of "not attacking when I'm not supposed to?" Absurd to say the least.

Having to sit on my phone for an entire hour every single day at the same time every day to make sure someone with a payout 14 hours after me doesn't cost me 300 crystals, which is a benefit to no one except CG? Absurd to say the least.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • PvP arena is the fundamental driving force for this game economically. People are willing to push for meta because of arena. Without arena, the rest of the game would collapse.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Zzyymm wrote: »
    the concept of "not attacking when I'm not supposed to?" Absurd to say the least.

Having to sit on my phone for an entire hour every single day at the same time every day to make sure someone with a payout 14 hours after me doesn't cost me 300 crystals, which is a benefit to no one except CG? Absurd to say the least.

That is exactly it! Shards benefit the players over CG...those crystals don't come back.
  • 20 players can indeed screw over 200, if those 20 players have DR and the rest don't then they can control the shard.
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • TVF
    36586 posts Member
    That has nothing to do with shard chats.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    They have stated before that they can't do it even if they wanted to. I believe they have only announced publicly that one fleetshard was broken up because it just had too many people compared to other shards and was just very unfair like that.

This gets requested frequently and I would support it if feasable as it would be cool to get a little shake up. However, mixing people who have begun at very different times can be rather unfair as older players have the advantage with mods. Something to keep in mind.

I also don't like the shard mafias that exist and wish CG would step in to break those up. Not sure if that would be appropriate for them to do that though. Fortunately my shards are both laid back and don't exclude anyone and have fair rotations for all.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    20 players can indeed screw over 200, if those 20 players have DR and the rest don't then they can control the shard.

Controlling the shard is not really the same as screwing people over though. The players ranked #100-200 probably have no clue what's going on in the top20 and aren't in any way, shape or form affected by those 20 players with drevan.
    I'd also argue that having a team that others can't beat isn't the same as controlling the top20 with a maffia like shardchat. Even with that maffia like shardchat, those ranked 100-200 aren't affected.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Mzee wrote: »
    They have stated before that they can't do it even if they wanted to. I believe they have only announced publicly that one fleetshard was broken up because it just had too many people compared to other shards and was just very unfair like that.

This gets requested frequently and I would support it if feasable as it would be cool to get a little shake up. However, mixing people who have begun at very different times can be rather unfair as older players have the advantage with mods. Something to keep in mind.

I also don't like the shard mafias that exist and wish CG would step in to break those up. Not sure if that would be appropriate for them to do that though. Fortunately my shards are both laid back and don't exclude anyone and have fair rotations for all.

Cg can make random shards of players based on time played
    0-1
    1-2
    2-3
    3+

Best of both worlds, not unfair and no mafia.

Sure a mafia would form eventually but CG can make it a monthly shuffle just like so many other popular games do monthly like Hearthstone, Starcraft, etc.