The crashes and freezes

Mzee
1777 posts Member
edited May 2019
I have been noticing an uptick of crashes and freezes among members of my guild in recent weeks. A good friend of mine lost his GA yesterday cause his game crashed when he won a battle and now he is saying that he is quitting as a result as he is tired of the bugs like this, and has been considering quitting for a while.

Our first attack in this TW was on an Ewok team and the guild member's game got stuck on connection error after he won. We are a 220million guild and a single loss can make the difference between a win and a loss on a war as it is all about efficiency at these GP levels as everyone full clears. Our last Territory War had a bunch of crashes among guild members even though we won. Still seeing crashes in my guild in Territory battles as well although it doesn't prevent us from reaching maximum stars when it happens.

Is it just me or are these crashes happening more frequently than it has been? This can't continue on a game where there are a lot of people spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on it.

Replies

• The issue is their servers. When they crash or have issues, their contingency servers are horrible or non-existent. Notice how when Facebook servers crash you don’t notice an interruption in service. There are good back up servers and they plan for such events.

There can be other issues not server related such as your phone switching from cellular data to WiFi. Should be seamless, but, reasons... Data stuck or data log jams communicating with the host, malware, running multiple apps in conflict with your game, peak hours usage, over data slow down by your service provider.

Point is, it’s not always CGs fault. When it is, they own it and announce its their fault. I’ve not seen one mass outing yet where they did not own it and issue a make good or apology.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Thanks for the response USAFmedic129, that is true that the error is frequently on the user side, which is why I don't want to point fingers, and am looking for discussion. Seeing an uptick of errors like this, and for people who don't experience these issues elsewhere does make it hard for me to see the problems are due to the client side. I know the issue of freezing during battles with the attack buttons disappearing has been happening on occasion again too, although not nearly as frequent as it was some months back, particularly in TB.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Just happened again to our TW leader. That is 2 out of 3 attacks. First attack was in airplane mode and switched back off during battle, but second one did not involve airplane mode. Game just crashes when someone wins a battle. Anyone know what is going on?
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    And another crash from someone else when he beat one of the Ewok teams.
  • Game crashes with unstable internet connection. But i guess is not completely fault of the game.
    Better to do the attacks at home with good wifi than in the metro, elevator, or with turning on / off airplane mode
  • Well when they only share one computer between the entirety of the devs, you gotta expect some crashes.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Issues can have many causes and people can be having similar issue for different reasons.

this is why issues are directed to <<Answers HQ>> where they are logged. This may not get the issue fixed right away, but it helps them isolate the issues they can resolve and prioritize them when a common thread is found.
  • DarthAndy
    105 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I have this problem too and I've lost a few GA, arena and even tb battles to it. Thankfully none of those messed me up completely but they were all bloody annoying. I've read before that a poor internet connection can cause it. Is that fairly official? It seems nuts. Being a phone game I play all over the place and some areas have good wifi or cellular connections and some don't. I'd expect a phone game to expect poor connections from time to time and handle that gracefully
  • PDPoc
    9 posts Member
    This happened to me also costing me a Grand Arena. Of course there customer service was not helpful and tried to blame my cellphone service. This bad experience really changed the way I saw this game.
  • It cost us a TW and we got a makegood of 250 crystals which is no where close to the extra Zeta Mat. But hey, that’s just how they run things now.
  • Jubai
    112 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I use a s9 Samsung and I havnt crashed once since "oh before I can remember"
    Honestly, I play everyday multiple time. Never heard my guildies complain either.
    Think it's time to
    1) stop exaggerating
    2) buy a new device to play on.
  • DadKev
    314 posts Member
    I tend to crash when I switch wifis in our house or have a poor connection. Also the longer I play and the more intense the battles are it will crash. I think its totally on my end with my phone.
  • I agree there about the phone Dadkev. I have an iphone 6 and an android tablet and play on both. After losing a tank raid run on my phone I stopped using the phone for that raid and use the tablet. If I have to play on my phone and it will matter, I'll close all apps, reboot and fire up game only. I've never seen the tablet do what I've seen the phone do multiples times, crash to desktop.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Moorebid
    488 posts Member
    My game freezes about 3 times a day. Luckily, I've never had it while fighting. Really annoying nonetheless.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    I just had my Arena match freeze. First time it ever happened. I was in my place with good connection. Everything just froze. Looks like I will be taking 75 crystals today instead of 100. This is frustrating
  • 6s with freezing all the time, and everything else runs fine. Lots of bugs since GA launched as well
  • I have quite a number of experience with the crashing issue.

2015 I started playing this game on iPad 2 version 9.3.5(the App Store says you need at least version 8.0 to play this game on iPad/iPhone/iPod. Well my iPad 2 that worked well with the game. Once ships were added my iPad2 crashed all the time playing GoH. After complaining numerous times on the forums Kozispoon(who is now retired) said the problem was on my end and I used a minimum spec device...which seems very dismissive since my iPad work well before the ship update so whatever.

here's the post: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/116773/ipad2-users#latest

So I upgraded to a iPhone 6. It also worked fine....up until TW and GA was added. That's when I noticed my iPhone started crashing.

Long story short I finally decided to upgrade again but this time to an iphone10.

I've been gaming since the 80s and online gaming since 2001. When I played games on my PC I never had to buy new devices cause of game updates. I've come to 2 conclusions when playing swgoh......1 if I want to continue playing this game I need to have a more than COMPATABLE device to do so.....and 2, the developers really aren't the best when it comes to updates and thinking about older spec devices when they release newer updates that require more from a device to work as perfectly as possible like it did before.

I'm not trying to put the devs down...but when I am on my 3rd device since 2015 to play a mobile game......something they are doing with new updates isn't right.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Well already out of the first 4 or 5 attacks my guild has had 1 crash and another the attack buttons disappeared on 2 clean victories.

Both restarted the app or their phone to minimize problems. Phones are recent ones.

These were not client side problems. What is going to be done to fix this?
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Was Malak on the enemy side on the attack button disappearances? I believe that's a known bug.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Was Malak on the enemy side on the attack button disappearances? I believe that's a known bug.

Nope. First order team.

And we had another crash so my guild is stopping all attacks. This is rediculous.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Mzee wrote: »
    Well already out of the first 4 or 5 attacks my guild has had 1 crash and another the attack buttons disappeared on 2 clean victories.

Both restarted the app or their phone to minimize problems. Phones are recent ones.

These were not client side problems. What is going to be done to fix this?

If this information is not communicated over yo Answers HQ every time, asking what is going on is a moote point as they may not be aware how prevalent the issues is.

This is why we ask tha all reports and discussions about this issue happen over at Answers HQ.
    Your topic has been moved to the Bugs and Issues Archive. For better assistance and functionality, please report your bug over at Answers HQ.

You’ll be able to find direct links to all the existing SWGOH forum boards on Answers HQ so you can easily navigate between both forums.

Please visit the Answers HQ forums by clicking the link below!
    <<Answers HQ>>