Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Xtractor wrote: »
    I like GA, but I'm not sure about how matchmaking will work in this. In regular GA we're already supposed to face evenly matched opponents. In GA Championship, will we start off facing undermatched opponents and progress to overmatched opponents? If so, I don't see the point. Why would I want to face an undermatched or overmatched opponent? The fun of GA is trying to defeat evenly matched opponents. Seems like those of us under 400k gp won't get much from this. But I'll wait and see in case I'm missing something.

It would be impossible for everyone to start off facing undermatched opponents wouldn't it?
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Can we stop this nonsense right now? GA is the worst thing to be added since pvp tournaments. It's fine if you want give people something to compete in but remove all rewards and just grant titles and stupid crap like that. That way people that hate your stupid mini TW aren't forced to play it.

Lol GA 5v5 is the best part of the game
  • Aliea
    63 posts Member
    Does league rankings reset for each new round of GA championships. (After each 4 week run)
  • So far I love this. Really excited to see the reward structure breakdown. GA is the best part of the game right now.
    Ooba hutar.
  • Kantouch wrote: »
    Can we stop this nonsense right now? GA is the worst thing to be added since pvp tournaments. It's fine if you want give people something to compete in but remove all rewards and just grant titles and stupid crap like that. That way people that hate your stupid mini TW aren't forced to play it.

It’s great that you’re so vocal about your opinion. Unfortunately, I think you’re in the vast minority. GA is an awesome mode that allows(allowed?) newer players to expedite their growth, older players to enjoy individual competition, and community members to showcase their matches for all to see. I hope you can grow to love this mode as most do.

Do you realize that only the minority of players actually visit the forum and pipe up about liking GA. Who are you so say most love it and only few dont? Thats good that you do but not everyone shares your enthusiastic veiw. While Im at it I dont like GA either. My whole guild doesnt like it.
  • The overview video locked up my system. Had to hard reboot.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Do you get demoted for losing?

EDIT:
    Seems fantastic and I’m looking forward to it
    No, you cannot get demoted during a season
    Do we revert back to Carbonite league every season? How long is a season?
  • Krashxxxx
    226 posts Member
    Will this all be 5v5? Or will we get some 3v3 (my favorite).
    Ships?
    Also you really need to look at heros and legendary toons as part of the match making process. A player with Cls as their best toon has zero chance against Revan, Drevan/Malak and Treya no matter how many g12 zeta toons they have.
  • HK22
    644 posts Member
    Okay, my big question is what is the purpose of feats? They look to be additional tasks inside/outside of GA that provide goodies and points towards ranking up. Is the purpose of the feat system to allow players that hit a roadblock due to skill/mods/Malak to keep getting rewards? If so that would alleviate one of my biggest concerns about the championship, namely that non-whale players will eventually hit a roadblock where they cannot climb and be forced to settle.

I would definitely enjoy knowing more about this particular part of the system.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Me like.
  • KKatarn
    629 posts Member
    Kantouch wrote: »

It’s great that you’re so vocal about your opinion. Unfortunately, I think you’re in the vast minority. GA is an awesome mode that allows(allowed?) newer players to expedite their growth, older players to enjoy individual competition, and community members to showcase their matches for all to see. I hope you can grow to love this mode as most do.

Do you realize that only the minority of players actually visit the forum and pipe up about liking GA. Who are you so say most love it and only few dont? Thats good that you do but not everyone shares your enthusiastic veiw. While Im at it I dont like GA either. My whole guild doesnt like it.

So because you and, according to you, your whole guild dislike therefore the marjority of players dislike GA too? That is one really silly argument.
    CG has the actual data to back them up, so if they are expanding the Grand Arena i dare to say their numbers likely indicate a lot of players are participating on it, enough to justify this new PVP mode.
  • @CG_SBCrumb

Without demotion, does that mean that your league resets at the beginning of each championship or does everyone eventually end up in Kyber?
    ācιßösöχ

Join the official Grand Arena Discord Server
  • jejuzang
    710 posts Member
    Weren't tournaments using Global leaderboards?
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited May 2019
    I’m thinking that the 4 weeks and 1 week review is going to be a season

Each week you will advance a league

So every season you start from Carbonite and attempt to reach Kyber and then you get your Payout

It’s like starting an arena shard at rank 10,000 and trying to reach 1 in 4 weeks to get best arena payout and then restarting the process

It would be more in-line with what Crumb said here,
    Hitting Kyber League is incredibly challenging and will require the player to win most or all of their Grand Arena rounds, play efficiently and optimize their GA Banner count, and complete Feats. (Obviously, players who make it to Kyber League during a Championship will receive the biggest reward payout.)

If true my only concern would be feats themselves like “Use separatists and win” mostly because it’s unfair gauge of the best of the best

I like sep teams on defense and being forced to use them on offense or other defensive teams or placing offense teams on defense might be an issue and it’s not F2P friendly and it’s going to alienate and cause division

Imagine being told to use a pure Resistance team on defense or so
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    This gives players like TVF who dominate at a medium-high GP a chance to battle tougher opponents. It's only fair that the tougher the opposition the higher the rewards.

I'm all for this.

What.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jejuzang wrote: »
    Weren't tournaments using Global leaderboards?

no. they were completely separate. these are a series of leader boards which will contain all players and by winning you will progress through them.

Tournaments was just a different way of grouping player like the shards in arena. locked in when you get in and closed when full.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    "Grand Arena matchmaking is now entirely partitioned by League."

Doesn't this mean those with the biggest rosters will get the best rewards? How will you balance this out for players with less GP?
  • Carth_Onassi1973
    1704 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I’m excited for it. I like GA a lot (and I get pummeled just as much if not more than i win). I think it makes you a better PVP player in general, both in arena and in TW. Can’t wait!
  • Is kyber league a whale league ?
  • KalHorn
    102 posts Member
    There are sooo many players and only a limited number of potential opponents over 4 weeks. There’s also a huge range of GA skill within players of any small GP window.

Thus I think it pretty clear that you will only face opponents of relatively close GP and as people move up from Carbonite towards Kyber each championship you will simply face the stronger players of your GP bracket. Then the ones with inflated GP will also get to face reasonable opponents for them. Resulting in everyone having pretty appropriately challenging opponents by the end.

I am stoked for this!
  • Are there going to be GP brackets within the leagues? Matching someone at less than 2m with someone over 4m doesn't seem fair at all?

I suppose GP MUST still be used to determine map size right? Squads needed?
  • Clash2Far
    179 posts Member
    To those asking about the highest end being exclusive to whales, I haven’t read anything that suggests this. Im reading this as if there are 500 players that fit your “profile” (which could be based on GP and any of the other new tactics they have alluded to in order to improve matchmaking) you won’t see all of them, just those in your bracket. But as you will advance upward with the winners, it will become more and more challenging and the rewards more and more impressive. Happy for CG to correct my assumption though.
    Ally Code 285-115-111
  • Nothing about matching up properly.
    So more whales versus deep roster ftp **** like me who actually upgrade characters. Great news! Sounds like one more tv hinge to make the game less fun.
  • qkjerome
    21 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    I fear this is going to be Star Wars galaxy of Revans and not having these two insufferable toons will be a glass ceiling.

edit: pretty much what grand arena and squad arena are right now anyway
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    "Grand Arena matchmaking is now entirely partitioned by League."

"here’s what you can look forward to in future posts: GP Divisions"

These two statements contradict each other. Can we please have this clarified?
  • DinoConV wrote: »
    Are there going to be GP brackets within the leagues? Matching someone at less than 2m with someone over 4m doesn't seem fair at all?

I suppose GP MUST still be used to determine map size right? Squads needed?

If the 2M player has Revan, Drevan and Malak then they can compete with people in the 4M bracket
  • if they sandbagging mods, just put one team on defense. It will cost them enough points to not win it all lol
  • Angelloyd
    365 posts Member
    The max ammount of players I can see together in one GA championship is 4096 (8*8*8*8). So I guess that can be the maximum size of a bracket. The closest 4096 players based on Gp won't have the same GP, but not as far as 1 or 2 M apart.