Microsoft And Sony Make Nice, Forge Partnership For Gaming And Cloud Services

Re: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-and-sony-make-nice-forge-partnership-for/1100-6466963/

"Microsoft and Sony--the company's behind Xbox One and PS4 respectively--have decided on a strategic partnership. The two companies plan on sharing technology and information going forward and build upon shared infrastructures for some of their future initiatives. Nowhere in the announcement are Xbox or PlayStation named, but its wording implies Microsoft and Sony's partnership will specifically focus on consumer entertainment platforms like gaming."

On the face of it some may role their eyes but MS has about 130Billion in development money hanging around. IF, and I say IF they get this right.. Could be interesting. And yes they will focus on consoles, but the market has been heading that way for quite sometime?

Replies

• All I know is that I would like to see more games that were exclusive to each console become more cross-platform. I think that computer gamers would love that too.
  • chron
    89 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    The market is heading (headed?) to mobile gaming, with neither company able to launch a successful platform in that arena. This might be their hail mary pass, making it easier to work with third party developers.

Signed,
    a PSP owner
  • chron wrote: »
    The market is heading (headed?) to mobile gaming, with neither company able to launch a successful platform in that arena. This might be their hail mary pass, making it easier to work with third party developers.

Signed,
    a PSP owner

I don't think that consoles will ever really be phased out. I doubt a handheld will ever live up to a console, imho of course.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    chron wrote: »

Signed,
    a PSP owner

I don't think that consoles will ever really be phased out. I doubt a handheld will ever live up to a console, imho of course.

Not that it can truly compare (yet), but the switch (and what is likely to come "next" in that line) are really paving the path to do exactly that.

The processing power is there, low overhead and the ability for it to be the main CPU, and then leave the path to make a docking station to make it go big screen.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    chron wrote: »

Signed,
    a PSP owner

Not that it can truly compare (yet), but the switch (and what is likely to come "next" in that line) are really paving the path to do exactly that.

The processing power is there, low overhead and the ability for it to be the main CPU, and then leave the path to make a docking station to make it go big screen.

But I doubt it will actually replace consoles. I think that it will be more of a VR or Animus like experience, where the player has the actual 1st person "experience". Although, with the internet, I think game discs are all but obsolete.