A way to deal with the stale meta

Aggaire
11 posts Member
What if each month some subset of the characters were the only characters available in a particular Arena mode?

Not replacing GA, not replacing Arena, I understand some people have spent a lot for that or have their favorites.

But there could be an arena mode with just a subset of characters that would force players to think again, come up with some fun squads on their own, and try them out.

This (creating cool squads and combos) is what brought many people to the game. It’s like creating your own deck in Magic. Getting fed a squad (like Phoenix) is not nearly as fun.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    How does creating a new game mode deal with the stale meta in an existing game mode that you're leaving alone?
  • Aggaire
    11 posts Member
    I suppose it doesn’t in those modes. I’d actually advocate replacing the fixed “all characters” with a subset, but didn’t want the responses to all be angry arguments about “messing with my investment”.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    My response wouldn't be angry, but I do think that given the outrage the last time they tried something like that, it's unrealistic to expect them to go down that rabbit hole again.
  • Depending on how good the rewards for feats are in GA championships, we should at least see a little more variety in arena as people swap their squads out in order to move up the GAC leaderboards. It won’t change the meta, but it’ll create some more interest in the stale arena, and probably a little more churn as people are able to push a bit higher at payout by targeting suboptimal squads who wouldn’t otherwise be there.
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    What? Why would your roster for GAC have any impact on your day-to-day arena team?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • From their announcement:

ikos88bor74n.png

In short, it won’t change the squad you use at payout. But it seems to me the most reasonable way to accomplish the separatist feat would be to put a separatist squad in after payout, and then wait a few hours to fall far enough to get a few kills (during which everybody in your shard gets to face your fresh squad).
    I demand Grand Arena Elo ratings.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Ah Ok forgot about that part.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH