Speed

While it seems to be advantageous for players to use speed-focused mods on their characters, the extra speed undermines the effectiveness of most other mod stat boosts. A squad of characters with low gear but high speed can win in arena every time against high gear squads with lower speed. In fact, it doesn't even matter if your squad can do significantly more damage, and should be able to out-class them, the faster squad will usually win because they can attack more often.

My suggestion is to put a cap on the Speed stat at a maximum of 200. This will make the game more competitive, and allow focus on other stats that SHOULD be more important than speed.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Your assessment is pretty solid, your sollution is horrible.
    capped speed will just lead to more RNG.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    OP is your best speed 200?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    If you mean +200 from mods, I'd probably be ok with that.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    This is a problem older than the game by several decades. In any game where you can manipulate the action economy, manipulating said action economy is one of the most important things you can do.

Whether it's back in '97 in Final Fantasy Tactics with Ramza screaming perpetually to pump that speed, or the early 90s Old World of Darkness celerity problem or blue decks in magic telling your opponent they aren't allowed to play, it's a big and complicated problem without a good solution.
    Still not a he.
  • There's no reason a squad should be taking more than 2 turns per character in a battle, outside of buffs and debuffs
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Why not?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    There's no reason a squad should be taking more than 2 turns per character in a battle, outside of buffs and debuffs
    Nobody does.

The fastest unit in the game is TIE Fighter Pilot, at 182. The slowest is Baze at 102. Before buffs and debuffs, the fastest character in the game will take 1.8 turns for every turn from the slowest. The game meets your stated criteria.

Here, I'm not talking "buffs and debuffs" as red and green boxes. I'm talking all the myriad effects that perform the functions of buffing and debuffing toons. Abilities, leads, mods, you name it. All of these improve or impair units' ability to gain turn meter and therefore take a turn.
    Still not a he.