Grand Arena Championships – GP Divisions [MEGA]

Prev13456711
Sunnie1978
2937 posts Moderator
DEV POST
CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
From our Feature Producer:

(This is a continuation of information about Grand Arena Championship. If you haven’t read them already, please read the previous posts here and here, as some presumptions are made about understanding their context in this post.)

Grand Arena Championships are a five-week series of Grand Arena events and Feats. Our goal is for the experience to feel like a normal Grand Arena event with a few bells and whistles, and then gradually ratchet up the competition and drive for the players who make it up to higher leagues in later events, until by the end of a Championship, it feels like the sharpest competition that the game has to offer. In this post, we’re going to talk about GP Divisions, a feature that enables us to curate the best experience (AND relevant rewards) for all Grand Arena players regardless of their time in game or collection size.

Your Division is simply your GP bracket at the start of each Championship. Divisions are set the rules and rewards that you are chasing each Championship. Your Division will be reevaluated at the start of each Championship and you’ll receive greater overall rewards the higher the Division you qualify for. You can’t change your Division until the next Championship, but you can reach higher leagues (Bronzium, Chromium, Kyber, etc) within that Division during a Championship to receive better rewards. As your GP creeps up across the five-week championship, your Division will still not change. Leagues are fundamentally the milestones for you to focus on as a player within a Championship. Also note - your inventory is not locked during the Championship (inventory locking per Grand Arena round still follows the same rules), but your Division is.

This is essentially because we want to provide different rewards and different scoring mechanisms for players, more or less based on the number of squads they are able to field and the rewards and tradeoffs that are relevant to them. And now that matchmaking is less directly impacted by overall GP (see our earlier post on this), this essentially means that outside of optimizing the squads you are using in Grand Arena, your GP is something that you can still work on in the long-term without worrying about its impact on your Championship progress.

What does this mean practically? Essentially, Divisions allow us to do a couple of things:
  1. Divisions allow banners to matter at all GP levels towards Championship Score – enough to create a small amount of pressure to optimize attacks & defenses, but not too much pressure to take the focus off of winning the match. A 2M GP player and a 5M GP player are very different in terms of their ability to be flexible and optimized on earning the most banners – we need to be able to treat their banner scoring differently so that it doesn’t feel unbalanced on either end. (We’ll be paying close attention to this balance and will likely make adjustments after our first “exhibition” championships.)
  2. Players will get a set of rewards that are a better fit for their lifecycle needs. A long-term goal of ours to get players more relevant rewards based on how far along they are in the game and what specific grinds they are facing. We are starting to pursue this conservatively at first in our Promotion Feat Rewards (consisting of crystals and a set amount of gear), but over time the Division system allows us to begin executing against this long-term goal to create a better sense of progression through various resource management challenges. (E.G. those of you who are over the Holoprojector hump get less bogged down in rewards you can’t use.) Again, we are only just beginning to execute on this goal, and we’ll be able to share more in the future after this update is in players’ hands.
  3. Players should never feel incentivized to tank their GP before or during a Championship, since a higher GP division means better rewards. This, combined with the move away from raw GP in matchmaking, should result in less last-minute weirdness and closer, fairer matches.
  4. If the GP difference across players is great enough, the matchmaking will also default to the lowest-number of defenses required by division between the two players (Note: only the very best-performing low-GP players are likely to encounter this, however). Players who are good enough to end up getting matched with higher-GP players will be able to do so on a more level playing field.
  5. Most importantly, Divisions should create a long-term goal for players and their collections, so that we can reward elite GAC players regardless of the size of your collection, while still encouraging the newer players to build out more and more teams, chase PvE content, and master more characters/ships/squads. We don’t want the only players hitting Kyber League to be the ones with the biggest collections - younger players who consistently beat their opponents, complete Feats and optimize their play should have a shot at glory too.

We have tried to match the number of defenses required and the League Promotion thresholds to fit each Division effectively, and are looking forward to seeing how players clear these hurdles across all GP levels.

Leaderboards
Alongside Grand Arena Championships, we’ve invested heavily in leaderboards, in order to provide a strong competitive background that does not simply just recreate the dynamics of Squad Arena and Fleet Arena, but still essentially feels like a competition. GAC will launch with four leaderboard types – Global, My Ranking, Guild, and Ally.

The Global Ranking is just that – a snapshot of the top 50 players in each League, per Division, ranked by Championship Score. It updates in near-real-time as players get promoted into higher and higher Leagues, and resets at the start of each Championship. Your ranking and basic stats will always be visible in GAC Leaderboards so that you can compare your progress against the very best across Leagues, rankings and even Divisions.

My Ranking is the same ranking as Global, but extending down to where you are in the ranking of Championship Score, in your rank and Division. (Unless of course, you’ve hit the Top 50, in which case you’ll show up in Global too. Congrats, by the way.) This way, even if you are not one of the top players, you can see what you have to do to climb the ranks into a higher ranking. We should also note that reaching certain rank thresholds in a League result in slightly higher rewards – and we have plans to eventually further reward the very highest players in Kyber in each Division.

Finally, Guild and Ally leaderboards operate across Divisions and Leagues and provide a bit of friendly competition between you and your guildmates, or you and the list of allies/friends/shardmates/nemeses that you can customize. We’re not rewarding based on these leaderboards at this time but are looking forward to incidental competition and fun amongst friends separate from the hard-edged competition of the global leaderboard!

Thanks for sticking with this long, detailed post, and stay tuned for more information on the Grand Arena Championships schedule and Exhibition Championships in the next couple of days!

DEV POST

Replies

• wildirish
    199 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    First. Definitely super stoked for the Championships!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Great to see:
    1. that more GP is a good thing
    2. Guild leaderboard
    3. Kyber league shouldn’t be for those with the biggest collections

Looking forward to GAC
  • So.... after all that, what are the GP divisions?
  • Alijar1
    381 posts Member
    So.... after all that, what are the GP divisions?

Flexible
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • Time to show my guild who's boss!
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

I'll bet they will tell us.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Fatal
    58 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    I sincerely hope that GP division isn't a major factor in what rewards you receive. Ignoring bad investments in the game shouldn't be penalized, I shouldn't have to choose between dumping credits into something worthwhile (mod farming) or bad characters I'll never use (more competitive GP rewards).

I'd like the ability to opt into higher GP Divisions if I accept the challenge.

Also, please elaborate on the size of GP Divisions.
  • Yo Crumb, please fix the mod swap glitch people are using before GAC opens. That bug challenges the authenticity of the ranking/rewards system. Cheaters and good GA players both get rewards and better rankings the way it stands... thanks hope this gets sorted out!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Redapple wrote: »
    Yo Crumb, please fix the mod swap glitch people are using before GAC opens. That bug challenges the authenticity of the ranking/rewards system. Cheaters and good GA players both get rewards and better rankings the way it stands... thanks hope this gets sorted out!

They have already said they have a fix for this that will be implemented with the title update.
  • I’m a little concerned in reading that the number of banners matter. Does this mean someone who wins an all out offensive battle is going to have an advantage over someone who wins a heavy defensive battle? Sometimes clearing 5/7 squads is more impressive than a perfect clear.
  • DarthBrobdignagian
    122 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Fatal wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that GP division isn't a major factor in what rewards you receive. Ignoring bad investments in the game shouldn't be penalized, I shouldn't have to choose between dumping credits into something worthwhile (mod farming) or bad characters I'll never use (more competitive GP rewards).

The way I understood it, GP is only used as a baseline for the first bracket, and even then under heavy scrutiny during the exhibition matches.

If you win, you advance regardless of GP. If you keep advancing, you will keep going up in brackets.

You opt in by winning but this design sounds like it will do what you ask for.
  • Really scared of y’all determining rewards based on “what you think is needed at X GP bracket”. I may only be 1.2m GP but that doesn’t mean I don’t need g12+ gear rewards less than someone at 4-5m. Sure, I may still need holoprojectors but you bet I don’t want them when I win kyber league GAC. I can pay the 300 crystals for then from shipments. Give the little guys the big rewards, too. @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb
  • Fatal
    58 posts Member
    Fatal wrote: »

The way I understood it, GP is only used as a baseline for the first bracket, and even then under heavy scrutiny during the exhibition matches.

If you win, you advance regardless of GP. If you keep advancing, you will keep going up in brackets.

You opt in by winning but this design sounds like it will do what you ask for.

The original article directly states "since a higher GP division means better rewards"
  • Fatal wrote: »

You have that ability already, you can build up your GP.

Also there is no way you can clear 10-12 full G12 modded teams and still place 10-12 teams that will hold on defense. Thats what it takes at 4-5m GP. Top divisions will require +100 characters at useable levels which is impossible to have if you only have 1.2m GP.

Essentially your asking to opt into a higher division & get dominated just to get the better rewards.
  • Kantouch wrote: »
    Really scared of y’all determining rewards based on “what you think is needed at X GP bracket”. I may only be 1.2m GP but that doesn’t mean I don’t need g12+ gear rewards less than someone at 4-5m. Sure, I may still need holoprojectors but you bet I don’t want them when I win kyber league GAC. I can pay the 300 crystals for then from shipments. Give the little guys the big rewards, too. @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb

So much this
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Well, whether this is perfect in the first go or not, it sounds great. It does seem to address the 3 biggest complaints:

1. More than just GP is used for matchmaking;
    2. It doesn't penalize people for broader rosters, and may benefit them;
    3. Even when we don't win the whole round, there will be incentive and rewards for continuing to fight.

Kudos. Sign me up.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

Right? Literally the one thing I expected to see..
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Kantouch wrote: »
    Really scared of y’all determining rewards based on “what you think is needed at X GP bracket”. I may only be 1.2m GP but that doesn’t mean I don’t need g12+ gear rewards less than someone at 4-5m. Sure, I may still need holoprojectors but you bet I don’t want them when I win kyber league GAC. I can pay the 300 crystals for then from shipments. Give the little guys the big rewards, too. @CG_Carrie @CG_SBCrumb

I get you, but you do have to realize there is no way to tailor rewards to suit every single player. With so many players, they have to look at averages, and if you're an outlier, you're going to have to accept that you may not get exactly what you need.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

I get you, but you do have to realize there is no way to tailor rewards to suit every single player. With so many players, they have to look at averages, and if you're an outlier, you're going to have to accept that you may not get exactly what you need.

I get that but why give reduced rewards for winning the same event at all? We all have to win the same number of rounds. We all should get the same rewards.

If they insist upon giving lesser rewards for lower tiers, can we have the tiers scale closer together for each higher league reward you earn? Like if you get kyber at 4-5m you get 50 of the g12 finisher but at 1-2m you might only get 40. Not holoprojectors.
  • I'm probably going to ignore this time waster. It all sounds super stressful and pressure is building to do your utmost - which goes against the grain of an enjoyable game play. I don't play PvP modes in other games either!
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    I’m a little concerned in reading that the number of banners matter. Does this mean someone who wins an all out offensive battle is going to have an advantage over someone who wins a heavy defensive battle? Sometimes clearing 5/7 squads is more impressive than a perfect clear.
    I have a bad feeling about this... Also looking at how auto-deployment works for first GA rounds when the opponent didn't set defense. Those teams are random for sure, still you are facing every single best character the opponent has to offer. Some of my wins with the worst banner outcome resulted from facing random maxed teams.
    It's already highly irritating (= sure win, but time-consuming, not competitive, not strategic, not fun) to play those matches. Hopefully, it won't further imbalance performance comparisons.
  • Chewy88
    237 posts Member

I don’t know exactly what it’ll break down to but them giving you those makes it so you can spend more crystals on refreshes and g12 pieces 300 is 300 crystals after all. Hopefully by the next season of gac you’ll be at a higher division or get to the top of your current division. I don’t see people in the 1 mil gp that play consistently staying at that division for more than a few months with all the new stuff coming into game.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb The post seems certainly intended in that way, though I'll still need a bit of confirmation; Can we now feel safe for bumping up our GP which many folks started to pull back in reservation after the release of GA?

I guess that's what's referred as -degenerative behaviour-. And I'll certainly go back to my old mindset of pushing things as far as I can within my resources if that won't impact me negatively.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm kinda worried about the following points:
    1. rewards based on lifecycle needs
    2. division range
    3. amount of banners matter for league promotion
    4. how the divisions and leagues are set up and rewarded

Point 1 speaks for itself, i have little faith in ea/cg being able to properly determine which rewards i'm in need of most based on lifecycle. I also fear it's just going to lead to more backlash because players feel like they're not getting the rewards they want even if ea/cg did an amazing job implementing the rewards based on lifecycle needs.
    Point 2 worries me because apparantly the GP divisions are large enough to accomodate players of such a difference in GP that it changes the amount of def slots within the same division. Or maybe i'm reading that wrong.
    Point 3 because you can screw with other players' rating by going full out on defense for example. No ill intent needed, but the match will (usually) result in less banners for both players than the average GA match. And vice versa ofcourse, if one of the players goes all out on offense those matches will result in more than average banners. I feel like the strategy used has a way bigger impact on the amount of banners earned than skill has.
    I'm also worried about players flling 1 def slot to circumvent the autodeploy for that reason.
    Point 4 is mainly me not knowing how it works, so i'm scared it sucks haha. Will i be better off at the top of a division, but in a high league, or is it better to be at the bottom of a division but in a lower league? Is that properly balanced? Is there really no incentive to keep your roster lean anymore? Is there actually incentive to bloat your roster? Many questions and regardless of the awnser it will peeve players off.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    @leef -2- is a very legit concern. The GP divisions were crazy wide for GA. 2.75M to 4M and nothing beyond...uhm xD.
  • Wouldn’t leaderboards within a division just provide a way for people to coordinate outside of the game? For instance, I’ve crept into the top 50, but I’m not in the external shard chat. I’ve now been tagged by the chatters and it turns out I’m playing against a guildmate of one. That guildmate then throws everything on defense to minimize my banners and bump me down.

• This is awesome! Thanks CG for all your hard work on this. Glad to see the division separations :)
  • Pentagon
    101 posts Member
    Since GA was a thing, people have been stating that they feel punished for having inflated or high GP.

CG have responded in a fair way.

If you increase your GP, you will be facing other powerful accounts with all the toys.

If you have low GP you will face other players with less toys.

We now have a reason to have a super large GP and have responded in a fair way to all the forums complaints.

Whilst I understand the point they want to tailor the reward experience, I think its easier to say at a lower GP you get X as a max prize and at higher you get the golden stun gun. That's not saying that a lower GP account doesn't want or have a use for a golden stun gun, but actually they want to save the best rewards for the players who have built their accounts up.

I am a 2mil GP player, and whilst I won't be levelling all toons to 85, I won't look at disgust at fallen projects and their liability GP in my roster.

Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
This discussion has been closed.