PVP time limit too short

most people might disagree with me here, but I personally hate the fact that you're timed when on any PVP mode such as arena, territory wars, grand arena etc. It would be awesome If the time limit was doubled. the matches that take longer, such as Revan vs Revan and for anyone who prefers to take their time can use that to their advantage, whereas the smaller matches won't really matter because they will be finished early anyway. again, I'll probably get some dislikes here, but I thought I'd see if anyone agrees with me.

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Timeouts are caused by one of three things.
    1 an Inferior player controlled team facing against a superior ai controlled team. The ai makes a lot of stupid mistakes that prevent it winning while the player uses superior human intelligence to take advantage of dumb ai dragging the fight out.
    2. Bad human play with a superior team.
    3. Poor device hardware. I recently switched from a 3 year old spec device to a new device and my average arena battle (Traya vs revan) went from three and a half minutes to two and a half minutes.

Revan vs revan should finish within 3 minutes if mods are comparable. If you extend the battle timer you have to deal with the fact that someone can lock me out of playing for 10 minutes by going into battle and pausing.
  • I agree with the problem of locking someone. Maybe, and I know is asking too much they could add a 6x speed or something so it avoid lock but reduce timeout.

My timeouts usually I only required 30 seconds more to finish them, and I have the main issue that there is better moves (with Sion for example) but the cinematic is too long so I need to choose use basic instead so I can finish before the clock
  • @Naraic I understand that I guess.
  • Naraic wrote: »
    Timeouts are caused by one of three things.
    1 an Inferior player controlled team facing against a superior ai controlled team. The ai makes a lot of stupid mistakes that prevent it winning while the player uses superior human intelligence to take advantage of dumb ai dragging the fight out.
    2. Bad human play with a superior team.
    3. Poor device hardware. I recently switched from a 3 year old spec device to a new device and my average arena battle (Traya vs revan) went from three and a half minutes to two and a half minutes.

Revan vs revan should finish within 3 minutes if mods are comparable. If you extend the battle timer you have to deal with the fact that someone can lock me out of playing for 10 minutes by going into battle and pausing.

Wow Naraic, I am super impressed you were able to hack CG servers, compile all that data, and come up with an objective method to measure player ability. The fact that you could determine those 3 things are the leading causes of time running out, and have the evidence to prove it, is amazing. You really should work in Google's AI lab or something. [end sarcasm here]

Maybe posters should avoid assumptions and viewing the world from their own narrow perspectives on the game before they pretend to be absolute authorities on topics. By the way, the computer controlled teams do not use AI - it is an algorithm. Look up what AI is. If it was truly AI, it would be way "smarter" than humans in a game like this where the variables are numerous but specific and known. It would also not make emotional mistakes like humans would.

From own experience, which is all I can speak from, I have had many battles where I am making steady progress toward a win and then I hit a time out with all of my toons up and the opposite team with 1 or 2 heavily damaged toons. If I had 1 or 2 extra minutes I could have easily won the battle.
    I like to think about each of my turns and don't have my moves memorized like some kind of speed-cuber, though I move pretty quick and make a decision within within 5s or so and I am set to 4x speed for animations.
    From a game design perspective, where I have years of experience, I would consider it a flaw for timeouts to occur when a player is making steady progress to ward a goal. Timeout functionality is really implemented to prevent loops or logouts from tying up the game. CG could easily pull data to determine how many timeouts are occurring, chart them over time, compare them between specific character sets, and see what state the battle is in when the timeout occurs: are both squads still at similar strength, is one about to be defeated, how long did the user take to perform an action each turn, etc. CG could then make a data-based decision on whether to extend the time limit and how much to extend it by,

• J0HND03
    143 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    From own experience, which is all I can speak from, I have had many battles where I am making steady progress toward a win and then I hit a time out with all of my toons up and the opposite team with 1 or 2 heavily damaged toons. If I had 1 or 2 extra minutes I could have easily won the battle.

no you can't because with his 5x10minute fights your opponents have already blocked the last 50m before payout so there is no battle for you at all ;)
    from a software engineer point of view i can tell you it's not viable to increase those times any further - though it might improve usability for lacking teams.... but in that case you should just improve the lacking team then increasing the time limit ....

• Stenun
    851 posts Member
    PvP could easily be changed to something much fairer.
    For example, why not a 20 second time limit to do damage? Have a 10 minute maximum time limit but also if you don't damage an enemy character every 20 seconds, the match ends.
    Or why not keep the five minutes but introduce a scoring system used for tie breaks? Something like total damage done multiplied by your remaining characters divided by the number of revives, etc.

A simple five minutes, full stop, end of, results in far far far too many time outs. The number of people saying so on the forums clearly shows that.
  • furyousgeorge
    4 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    J0HND03 wrote: »

no you can't because with his 5x10minute fights your opponents have already blocked the last 50m before payout so there is no battle for you at all ;)
    from a software engineer point of view i can tell you it's not viable to increase those times any further - though it might improve usability for lacking teams.... but in that case you should just improve the lacking team then increasing the time limit ....

You should work on your engineering skills. I said 1 to 2 min extra as a limit. You said 5 x 10 min, which makes several mistakes: 1) You assume everyone is an a hole and uses the full time limit to block others - not everyone is like you. 2) 5 + 1 or 2 does not equal 10. 3) You assumed I had a lacking team, with no actual knowledge of my teams. Good engineers do not make assumptions. They look at data, both averages and extremes and feed that data to the statistical experts, like me, who make the strategic decisions about game design.
    I would also point out that since CG made the change to allow users to pick the time when rewards are determined - trying to block someone in that last hour has been significantly mitigated.
  • Stenun wrote: »
    PvP could easily be changed to something much fairer.
    For example, why not a 20 second time limit to do damage? Have a 10 minute maximum time limit but also if you don't damage an enemy character every 20 seconds, the match ends.
    Or why not keep the five minutes but introduce a scoring system used for tie breaks? Something like total damage done multiplied by your remaining characters divided by the number of revives, etc.

A simple five minutes, full stop, end of, results in far far far too many time outs. The number of people saying so on the forums clearly shows that.

Thank you for the additional suggestions - your tie-breaking suggestion is also a great idea.
  • I completely agree something should be done in some aspect of this problem. I would suggest some type of sudden death that give you an extra minute to complete the battle. In this sudden death each character takes 25% unavoidable dmg during their turn until the end of the battle.

This idea would keep the battle going just long enough to be completed but at a faster pace.
  • Given all the early stage Phoenix Teams & mid stage Bastila teams where you can beat them but its just a LONG slug fest to get through that Protection & Regen, I also see this as a problem.

I find Draws are FAR more common than Losses, but get treated the same.

While I'd love for there to be a scoring metric in place, I think the simplest solution would probably be that on a Draw you don't loose your 1 chance & it resets that attempt.

Its sad when you avoid those 2 teams & hunt for Empire, Sith, or FO teams just because those people can actually DIE when you focus on them.