Grand Area Championship Division Feedback

Once again, players are being dinged for having developed their fleets.

Who in the right mind divides accounts based on Total GP, when ships have no part to play in the GAC?

It's like CG is actively encouraging people to ignore fleets.

Replies

• Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Because the GAC is a 5 week long event and some of the games within that 5 weeks will include fleets. Also I am sure there will be plenty of other people in your division in the same boat for matchmaking to pit you against.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    This one has zero fleets. It should have ZERO fleet weighing on the placement. They're talking about how "new matchups" will work, and yet they can't seem to realize what they're doing.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    They realise it pretty well. You simply don't understand it. In normal GA as well, you were segregated based on your total GP. i.e. 2.75-4M gp. It's not matchmaking.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    They realise it pretty well. You simply don't understand it. In normal GA as well, you were segregated based on your total GP. i.e. 2.75-4M gp. It's not matchmaking.

Except they've changed the matchmaking for GAC, so you haven't a bloody clue how 'not solely weighted by GP' matchmaking will work. So, perhaps, you simply don't understand it, either. None of us can understand it, and most of CG probably don't understand the algorithm. Weird.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »

Except they've changed the matchmaking for GAC, so you haven't a bloody clue how 'not solely weighted by GP' matchmaking will work. So, perhaps, you simply don't understand it, either. None of us can understand it, and most of CG probably don't understand the algorithm. Weird.

I do understand as far as they revealed their intent in their announcement. Whether they suceed in their intentions is yet to be revealed. Naturally the entiretity of your GP is considered your overall prowess, thus which division you are qualified for regardless of whether ships are involved or not. This has nothing to do with matchmaking itself.
  • This matchmaking by GP is working so much against me. I’ve been playing since this game was released and have a lot of older toons that are mediocre in strength. This is pushing my GP up higher and matching me against more recent players with the same GP that focused on gearing up all the new toons while ignoring the rest. I’m getting matched up against players with both ravens, Malek, traya, and all the other newer toons at gear 12 and I don’t have any of them much less the toons needed to get them. They are in the top 50 in the arena where as I hover around 400. I have 20 ish toons at gear 12 and am matched up with players that have 40 plus. There is no way I can compete. It’s been this way ever since GA started. It’s just loss after loss and finishing 7th or 8th every time. It’s very frustrating. Please fix this!!!!! Or give us older players a compete wipe of leveling and gearing toons and let us refocus who we level up.
  • CT666
    8 posts Member
    BillyFly - same story here - long term player with a huge roster of mediocre toons and virtually none of the recent OP ones but a pretty high GP overall.
    I rank around the 250 mark in the arena all the time - almost impossible to beat anyone above that level but that's fine, I do what I can.
    My first match-up in the new GA Championship? #2 in the arena! Well that's going to be a fascinating test of skill and cunning... Totally pointless. Nice job EA.
    My point is not to complain about FTP vs paying. I don't care whether the person I'm playing against has paid for their toons or got them slowly and painfully over years of FTP, but at least if you're going to set up a championship the matchmaking should take into account what kind of toons each player has and pitch them against someone at a similar level. Raw GP counts are totally useless as a measure.
  • Same situation for me. In the arena I can barely get above 250. In the GA I am matched up against people typically in the top 50. We may have similar gp but clearly that is no way to match people up.
  • With the divisions we shouldn't have to fight people from other divisions then right?
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    With the divisions we shouldn't have to fight people from other divisions then right?

Thats what I was thinking... and then of course the matchmaking for the first exhibition had me in a group with half/half of two divisions.

Now? The GP swings are crazy. Darth Microtransaction is giving up 1 million GP to his opponent. That should never be allowed to happen.

One of my guildmates is giving up 500k Toon GP to his opponent. This is crazy.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    If you’re a long time player and don’t have any of the best toons, you’re not a very good strategist.

By that, I mean your strategy doesn’t provide positive results in any area of the game. You’re not competitive in arena. You can’t do HSR. You’re of little use in TW. And you probably can’t even complete combat in the latter stages of TB.

So what makes you think you should be able to beat someone in GA who has invested their resources more wisely?

100% Agree here. If you're struggling in the Arena/TW/GA... You'd think you'd try to farm some of the old meta teams or try for the new meta.

I'm not sure how difficult this is to code, but can't CG just say, "Anything under G7 and/or LV75 is considered unusable and will not count towards Match making GP?" That seems pretty solid.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    I didn’t have a problem with the original matchmaking. You had the same resources as your opponents. It’s a matter of who invested them better.

The new matchmaking is the equivalent of putting a horrible heavyweight fighter in the ring with a good flyweight. It’s ridiculous.

Agree 100% I think its a give/take in terms of going broad for TB or going focused for GA. It just seems weird to punish focused teams or try to push similar accounts together. I was good with GA matchmaking as/is... because I worked hard to have a decent account for GA.
  • I hate new GAC matchmaking. I like the idea of a long term grand arena where banners mean something outside of each individual match. But it’s pretty hard to score banners when my opponent is in a different division and has 50% more toon gp.
  • So I’m in Tier 6. 1.6-1.99 GP. Why the hell is every other opponent 2.1 and higher!? EA help was exactly like I expected, no help. Anyone know **** is going on?
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    I know getting the Falcon pushed me into Division 7... but I haven't added anything to my squads and im like wondering where the heck ill fall in terms of matching. I wish CG would clear this all up.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    I know getting the Falcon pushed me into Division 7... but I haven't added anything to my squads and im like wondering where the heck ill fall in terms of matching. I wish CG would clear this all up.
    Since there are no ships in GA right now you will be matched on squad GP.
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Im asking more about division allocations and how many teams are needed when and etc.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Im asking more about division allocations and how many teams are needed when and etc.

In the earlier format, if players from two different brackets were grouped together, the number of defensive slots would be as in the lower of the two brackets. I guess it's something similar in the new format.
  • BootyMcButtsweat
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Who decided how players are matched up?? Ever since Grand Arena started I literally have had no chance whatsoever unless my opponent forgets to set defense. Ive only been playing 2 years yet I'm always paired with people that have over 60 zetas while i am in the mid 40s. They have at least twice as many mods with secondaru speed over 20, while I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on farming mods that almost never give me speed, and have only once gone over 20 since the mod rework.
    I lost in the last GAC because opponent had a Troopers team that was barely 80k, but had full zetas. I don't have the luxury of 15 extra zetas to use on weaker characters.
    It's PAST time for someone to figure out a fair way to match opponents. It's like I'm being punished for spending money on the game. I have no problem losing a fair match. But to know going in that I have no chance is rubbish.
  • alikssepia
    46 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm matched against four or five people with Dark Revan, gear lvl 13, whereas I haven't got him and have no chars at lvl 13. I already know I will lose, so what's the point in this matching? There's no fun in this Grand Arena anymore. They said: wait, you will lose once, next time you'll be matched with other losers like you. So these are your "losers"?
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    alikssepia wrote: »
    I'm matched against four or five people with Dark Revan, gear lvl 13, whereas I haven't got him and have no chars at lvl 13. I already know I will lose, so what's the point in this matching? There's no fun in this Grand Arena anymore. They said: wait, you will lose once, next time you'll be matched with other losers like you. So these are your "losers"?

Not exactly. This is a new GAC. So the match up algorithm starts over. So even though that seems off, you just have to lose again....then trust that CG got the "ladder algorithm" right, so you get a better match-up in round 2.

Good luck.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*