Grand Arena Championships – GP Divisions [MEGA]

Replies

• So rwds are the same in all divisions... What s the point in having a higher gp apart from getting penalized?
  • Zagrey
    54 posts Member
    Having Divisions this big is a complete nonsense.
    Once you reach 4-4.5kk GP - you no longer inflate yr GP with Gear8/7* - it keeps growing due to Zetas and G12

Obviously - mixing oppponents 4 and 4.5kk means huge difference.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Zagrey wrote: »
    Having Divisions this big is a complete nonsense.
    Once you reach 4-4.5kk GP - you no longer inflate yr GP with Gear8/7* - it keeps growing due to Zetas and G12

Obviously - mixing oppponents 4 and 4.5kk means huge difference.

Divisions aren't matchmaking, we've yet to see matchmaking. Previously you got a 2.75-4M bracket. Did that present any problem getting matchmaked with someone super close GP as you? Whatever is coming our way, they will try to matchmake us using various parameters, not only gear, or only gp. Probably gp itself will be involved within error thresholds.
  • Are we locked into division for this GA? If I added enough GP before player lock could I move up a division?
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    So it looks like all of that talk about there being no incentive to tank your GP before the event was poorly thought-out at best, a blatant lie at worst.

For instance, a couple of us just squeaked into division 1. But according to what's been posted, if we don't manage to advance between leagues, we won't see any better loot than if we had stayed in division 2.

Meanwhile, if we stayed in division two and faced opponents we could more reliably beat, we would have a better chance of advancing in leagues which is where the scaling rewards are supposed to come into play.

Once again, it seems like stripping mods before the event would have been to our advantage. Exactly the opposite of what we were told beforehand.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    DocDoom wrote: »
    So it looks like all of that talk about there being no incentive to tank your GP before the event was poorly thought-out at best, a blatant lie at worst.

For instance, a couple of us just squeaked into division 1. But according to what's been posted, if we don't manage to advance between leagues, we won't see any better loot than if we had stayed in division 2.

Meanwhile, if we stayed in division two and faced opponents we could more reliably beat, we would have a better chance of advancing in leagues which is where the scaling rewards are supposed to come into play.

Once again, it seems like stripping mods before the event would have been to our advantage. Exactly the opposite of what we were told beforehand.

You won't advance in leagues as this is a single week exhibition match. Nothing you see here are in it's final form.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    We are in phase 1.

j2yptjsaaf6u.png
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    hoj2siuef1jz.png
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Not being able to reach the top league does not equal an inability to advance within the lower leagues. They actually specifically state you can advance.

Yes, they have repeatedly stated that things are not final. This does not change the fact that tanking GP would have been advantageous as the game mode currently is.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Not being able to reach the top league does not equal an inability to advance within the lower leagues. They actually specifically state you can advance.

Yes, they have repeatedly stated that things are not final. This does not change the fact that tanking GP would have been advantageous as the game mode currently is.

This is one week only, where would you advance without further leagues? You'll just meet qualifications and it will wrap up.

Without seeing matchmaking it's not possible to speculate if sandbagging is still advantageous. Fact?
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that, if you go from facing 4.5m+ opponents to opponents below that threshold...yeah, the pool of competition is going to be easier. So, no, not Fact.

Your very own cut-n-paste clearly states that players will be able to advance between leagues "once or twice," even if the higher leagues probably won't be accessible due to the length of the exhibition.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that, if you go from facing 4.5m+ opponents to opponents below that threshold...yeah, the pool of competition is going to be easier. So, no, not Fact.

Your very own cut-n-paste clearly states that players will be able to advance between leagues "once or twice," even if the higher leagues probably won't be accessible due to the length of the exhibition.

I think the reverse, it's also reasonable to think due to flock behaviour induced by people thinking it's to their advantage keeping right below the threshold, right above the threshold will be easier. This is how it unfolded in GA at 4M GP passage. I heard numerous experiences as such including mine. 4-4.2M was far easier than 3.9-4.0M, then it slowly flatlined to tough again.

Everything hinges on the new matchmaking. People will start speaking different tunes starting from tomorrow if CG manages to meet their intention in the matchmaking announcement.
  • Dnoff423
    403 posts Member
    @CG_SBCrumb

When are you locked into your division? Is it the moment you join the GA championship or the moment the first player lock happens?
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Everything hinges on the new matchmaking. People will start speaking different tunes starting from tomorrow if CG manages to meet their intention in the matchmaking announcement.

Disagree, because people who lose will always complain about the matchmaking, and 50% of people will lose.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Disagree, because people who lose will always complain about the matchmaking, and 50% of people will lose.

Didn't say they will like the new system, just that their assumed tactics will have to reshape.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    How though? how would they match us more closely than by just using GP while also dividing us into divisions based on GP.
    I don't see it working as well as one might think it would work.
    Regardless, matchmaking is always going to suck no matter how much it's tweaked. It will benefit some more than others.

If instead of looking at the GP of every character on your roster and instead only looking at the GP of the highest 20, 30, 40 (however many you want to go) you can match wide and skinny rosters better.

I posted in the Grand Arena subforum once showing how if you looked at pure GP, every opponent I was matched against was within 1% of mine. But if you looked at the top however many I counted (I don't remember off the top of my head what number I used, but I remember that it was the number of squads needed on defense times two, since you needed at least that many on offense.) our GPs were as wide as 10%.

Looking only at the top so-and-so many characters prevents wide rosters from being punished for their fat, and prevents skinny rosters from benefitting the lean-ness of their lowest characters.

It's probably not perfect. But it would improve things all the same. At the very, very least it would prevent situations where I saw folks who had characters with 330+ shards unactivated.

Really? you can't see how many shards someone else has unless they screen shot their own collection and send it to you.

Really? Well now you've got me doubting myself, but I'm pretty sure I saw it. This isn't a "My uncle works at Nintendo" situation, though, I promise :P My memory is telling me I saw shard counts, but memory isn't reliable and I could very easily be wrong. But if I'm wrong it's not intentionally-so :)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • BMA
    1 posts Member
    Oh man, i really don't understand how they choose our adversary at grand arena. My adversary has 200k more PG than me ****?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    How does your match-ups look? It's extremely close for me, close to my detriment as previous matchmaking was giving me rather easy opponents even though I'm an extreme fluff-er (lol can't even say it.

no32o1jj9csj.png
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    How's this possible? Thought only the ship feat was awarding it.

iisq601t3tgd.png
  • Can anyone help me? I don't know if I'm being an **** but BEFORE the lock for GAC, I unlocked a ship so my GP went from 2,490,000 - 2,510,000, thus I was expecting to move into Division 4. I've just looked at my 7 opponents and all are in Division 4 yet mine still says I'm in Division 5. Is this as designed? Not sure how much of a disadvantage I'm at when it comes to rewards now.

I am trying to keep up with the notes on this, so it might just be because it's excluding ship GP in division making, but looking at my opponents I don't think that adds up either.

Thanks in advance if anyone either knows what is going on or can direct me to someone who can answer/help!
  • Roahn
    231 posts Member
    Someone please explain the criteria matchmaking is using and is it working properly? Also is everyone starting out in the carbonite league due to this being the exhibition for GAC? GAC shows I'm in division 2 with a GP of 3.8 million and my arena rank is 46 and ships is 225. When I look at my opponents 6 of which have a GP 4.05 million and the other is listed at 3.9 million. Preying I can get a top 4 finish.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Roahn wrote: »
    Someone please explain the criteria matchmaking is using and is it working properly? Also is everyone starting out in the carbonite league due to this being the exhibition for GAC? GAC shows I'm in division 2 with a GP of 3.8 million and my arena rank is 46 and ships is 225. When I look at my opponents 6 of which have a GP 4.05 million and the other is listed at 3.9 million. Preying I can get a top 4 finish.

I doubt anyone can say for sure, but here's the opinionated lead. You are getting matched on character gp first, ships are discluded as they aren't getting played. This explains the division breaches. Then you get matched by various parameters. Coming from my own matchmaking the gear distribution, zetas and even mods plays into it. But can only be more certain once I see many more matchups in detail ("I got matched with x amount of g12s while I have y" and "I don't have malak, my opponent does" is worthless)
  • Is anyone else matched up with opponents that are in a higher division? What’s the point of divisions if you are going to put people with whomever. First GA I’ll be finishing in last smh
  • so... a question

i run an alt character, and he's a little over 600k GP, in Division 10. Somehow, i got paired w/ a bunch of opponents in Division 9, with 300k more GP than me, there's even 1 Div 8 opponent. Isn't the very essence of having Divisions that you're paired with people IN your Division? what gives?

• No_Try wrote: »
    How's this possible? Thought only the ship feat was awarding it.

iisq601t3tgd.png

Points on set defense.
  • I'm in division 5 but everyone in my group is division 4 why? Why am I fighting above my division. Shouldn't it be my advantage to be strong in my division so I can move up the ranks. If not I'm just fighting harder battles dor less rewards.
  • Thryss
    8 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    The biggest issue I have seen so far is the differences in max banners you can receive across your division setting up many players with an advantage/disadvantage in their division.

For example in div 2 (3.8-4.5)
    -if you have 3.8-4.0 setting a defense yields 540 banners
    -if you have 4.0-4.5 setting a defense yields 720 banners
    (I haven’t verified the exact gp where this separation occurs, so the threshold is estimated)
    Div1 does not have this problem, but it is an issue with Div2

While i agree it is important to vary the number teams you set on defense based upon - by not aligning the divisions with the number of teams set on defense internally divides the division and immediately sets a large portion of players at a banner disadvantage. This does not appear to be a fair or balanced playing field.
  • Stokat
    823 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    How does your match-ups look? It's extremely close for me, close to my detriment as previous matchmaking was giving me rather easy opponents even though I'm an extreme fluff-er (lol can't even say it.

no32o1jj9csj.png

It looks pretty much like it used to be in regular GAs. A few really easy, a couple of even opponents and 1-2 really challenging/hard.

• pwq1qadookgb.jpg

This is some **** matchmaking. Opponent is 200k gp stronger and more than double my g12, and it seems as though I'll have to set 6 teams instead of 5. 'Lean' accounts are trash.
This discussion has been closed.