What movie is actually good ?

Replies

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I like the idea of the movies even if the execution was not that great. I think I was like 8 when Ep 1 came out and I seem to remember loving it but looking back now I'm not sure why. My dad took me to all of the movies and had me watch the 4-6 with him. It is cool escapism and a fun two hours, but if I take the time to give them a critical eye or worry about continuity it falls apart.

this. I mean, technically they all have holes and dumb stuff, but I'll watch them all every time (haven't seen the xmas one fwiw)

I was old enough to think the ewoks were lame kid stuff when VI came out, but the rest was so dope. I think that;s why everyone likes Empire the best. no lame voices/characters (see below)

One thing I wish is that they went back and redubbed some of the voices. I actually cringed when I heard the awful asian accents nute-people had.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • My favorite Star Wars movie was Episode 7. However, my favorite movie of all time is Avengers: Endgame
  • Episode 1. You see the evil Lord Vader as a cute little daring kid. You also are introduced to exactly why the Jedi were their own downfall. And my favorite is we see young Obi-Wan and his interesting Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

PS: I saw this when I was like 7 and fell in love with the few moments we saw of the relentless brutal Maul.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    All Star Wars is wonderful and inspiring to a variety of wonderful people.
  • My favorite Star Wars movie was Episode 7. However, my favorite movie of all time is Avengers: Endgame

Endgame was good. But I agree with the poster that says a critical eye ruins SW.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    My favorite Star Wars movie was Episode 7. However, my favorite movie of all time is Avengers: Endgame

Endgame was good. But I agree with the poster that says a critical eye ruins SW.

A critical eye ruins fun.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kristian
    23 posts Member
    I genuinely like and will watch every Star Wars movie even The Last Jedi because they’re entertaining. And I’ve never heard the complaint that there were too many women in TLJ or that the lead of Rogue One was a woman.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Kristian wrote: »
    I genuinely like and will watch every Star Wars movie even The Last Jedi because they’re entertaining. And I’ve never heard the complaint that there were too many women in TLJ or that the lead of Rogue One was a woman.

You must not use the internet.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Kristian wrote: »

I’ve heard it. It’s ridiculous. It shouldn’t matter what gender, race, etc. that a character is, and I think Felicity Jones was a great lead.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Perro wrote: »
    Why so much hate against women being in star wars????
    TVF wrote: »

You must not use the internet.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    The very best thing is probably the CW Animated series.

Hard, hard disagree.

Unless you're just comparing to the prequels.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Episode 3 is very well composed compared to the first two installments in the prequels, and it is much better than the CW. It was s great show, but it was meant to be s children’s show, and still has s lot of that childish glow.

The original Star Wars, though I was born after it, was a large step forward for its time. The entire OT, although it feels old and lame for youngsters like me, has an artistic wonder to it that made the whole universe popular in the first place. The CW is lacking that tapestry of the galaxy. Characters just shoot around from one planet to the next, and we are rarely shown the odd beauty of the galaxy. Instead, every planet is treated as one battlefield for the same war. It tells a compelling story, but lacks the artists touch.

The prequels could have been much better. The unnerving darkness residing in Anakin that is actually quite interesting isn’t really shown until Episode 3. That sequence where he kills a bunch of Tuskens is not moving at all. It’s a weird plot point in a weird movie.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    AntiFunn wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Episode 3 is very well composed compared to the first two installments in the prequels, and it is much better than the CW. It was s great show, but it was meant to be s children’s show, and still has s lot of that childish glow.

The original Star Wars, though I was born after it, was a large step forward for its time. The entire OT, although it feels old and lame for youngsters like me, has an artistic wonder to it that made the whole universe popular in the first place. The CW is lacking that tapestry of the galaxy. Characters just shoot around from one planet to the next, and we are rarely shown the odd beauty of the galaxy. Instead, every planet is treated as one battlefield for the same war. It tells a compelling story, but lacks the artists touch.

The prequels could have been much better. The unnerving darkness residing in Anakin that is actually quite interesting isn’t really shown until Episode 3. That sequence where he kills a bunch of Tuskens is not moving at all. It’s a weird plot point in a weird movie.

I agree with the last paragraph. As for showing the beauty of the galaxy, yeah they could have paid more detail and attention to showing that. But then again, it WAS a cartoon on CN. But the emphasis was that it was a galactic war raging all over the systems so it focused a bit on that darker side. I just believe an episode in between 2 and 3 would have shown the character developments instead of awkward and poorly placed scenes. In the films Anakin seemed to be fine but suddenly gets suuuper tense and emotional all of a sudden.

Right, it was a cartoon. But either way, all Star Wars is good Star Wars.
  • Just have to pipe up here and put my plug in for Rebels, best cartoon ever. I saw the OT in theaters as a youngster, thought most of the prequels were lame kid movies by the time they came out. Rebels was well developed and I only watched it because I wanted to know more about the Phoenix team in SWGOH. Was surprised to find out how well done it was! Compelling, three thumbs up!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Perro wrote: »

No hate, when they're written well.
  • Perro wrote: »

Combination of factors....Among them...

1) Different main characters than they're used to
    2) A lot of people feel like female lead characters are being forced on them in some social agenda
    3) Story took a different direction that they'd like

Now who is the easiest to point blame on for "ruining" their beloved series? The new characters... many of which are female... Or the president of Lucasfilm, who also happens to be female.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    willennium wrote: »

2) A lot of people feel like female lead characters are being forced on them in some social agenda

Now who is the easiest to point blame on for "ruining" their beloved series? The new characters... many of which are female... Or the president of Lucasfilm, who also happens to be female.

Which isn’t really fair, considering the fact that all of these films have mostly male scriptwriters and directors. There just hasn’t been a great female character yet (besides Leia), and that is by no means the result of poor acting.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    There just hasn’t been a great female character yet (besides Leia)

Disagree!

Also Leia (Carrie) was a pretty great script doctor IIRC.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    There just hasn’t been a great female character yet (besides Leia)

Disagree!

Also Leia (Carrie) was a pretty great script doctor IIRC.

Okay I did like Jyn and Qi’ra. I was mostly referring to leads, because there can be no greater character than Jocasta Nu!
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Jyn wasn't a lead?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Jyn wasn't a lead?

No she was. So was Qi’ra. If I meant ALL female characters, Jocasta Nu would take the throne.
  • Nihion wrote: »

Which isn’t really fair, considering the fact that all of these films have mostly male scriptwriters and directors. There just hasn’t been a great female character yet (besides Leia), and that is by no means the result of poor acting.

There hasn't been a good female character you say? Then immediately contradicted yourself with one.
    Saying there's only one good female in that movie is a bit misleading. Two main characters were droids and one was a wookie
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

There hasn't been a good female character you say? Then immediately contradicted yourself with one.
    Saying there's only one good female in that movie is a bit misleading. Two main characters were droids and one was a wookie

Yeah, but there aren’t a lot of Wookiee and droids to represent here on Earth.
  • Alijar1
    381 posts Member
    Episode 2 > Episode 4 > Episode 1 > Episode 7 > everything else
    #MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif