suggestion for a minor modification of GA matching mechanism

urtil
73 posts Member
I like the new matching mechanism better than the old one as it provides more challenging setups. However, I feel it has its own shortcomings that could be fairly easily fixed.

The old system cast the net way too wide by assuming that every character counts in GA. In reality all those g8 toons will never do anything worthwhile in GA. Therefore I fully support the decision to ignore those going forward. <3

The new system however seems to assume that there is only value in the absolute top toons. Meaning if I have eg 8 defense slots to fill only my top 80 toons are useful. And that it does not matter if someone has 50 more G11/12 toons after that or none. This ignores that those that have developed fleet have farmed toons as pilots that do little in standard GA. Also to have that many more GA viable toons provides the flexibility to field precise counters or vary your defensive setup. Therefore there is also considerable value in those toons over and above the current threshold. The further away we get from the top toons the less significant the additional value gets.

My suggestion would be to do as you do now counting GP from the top. But I would suggest to increase the cut-off point a little bit to include more toons. The formula of toons considered could be something like:

toons counted=number of defense slots*5*2*(1+adjustment factor).

if you choose the adjustment factor to be 20% then you would count the top 96 toons instead of only 80 to take into account some of the still very useful toons outside of the top 80 while still ignoring the useless fluff at the bottom.

You might want to consider having a higher adjustment factor for the lower divisions as there might be more use for underdeveloped toons than at the top. The absolute number however would be smaller with a stable adjustment factor. Or you simply put a flat number like +15 as adjustment in there for all divisions.

(well my real suggestion would be to dispose of GP as a measure of how good/useful a toons is but I doubt that will fly ;) )

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    urtil wrote: »
    In reality all those g8 toons will never do anything worthwhile in GA.

In reality, those g8 toons may be usefull, depending on the scenario.

Regarding your suggestion:
    Why shouldn't the players, that have all those 50 more g12 toons, benefit from having developed a strong roster?
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Why shouldn't the players, that have all those 50 more g12 toons, benefit from having developed a strong roster?

Because for me this game is about having fun. Many game modes are of limited fun and consist of boring grinding. GA has the potential to become the most fun mode if it manages to match us against real opponents of roughly similar strength. Being matched against opponents that are much stronger or weaker is no fun.Therefore those with the 50+ more G12 toons would also benefit from a better challenge rather than being matched with an opponent they walk over.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Because for me this game is about having fun.

For some players the challenge of building a strong roster with the goal of winning GA is fun. Why should they not benefit from having developed their strong rosters? Why should they not have their fun as well?

As time passes and players advance through the leagues at different paces depending on their actual performance, I'm sure you will be matched against players who perform at your level and you will have your fun as well.
  • urtil
    73 posts Member
    I don‘t see my suggestion taking fun away from them. They can still compete and benefit from their superior roster and/or skills.

Unless you define gaming a matching mechanism to get easy wins as fun. Then we have different definitions of fun. And yes, my suggestion intends to reduce the impact that this kind of strategy has on GAC. But it won‘t eliminate it.

You can still try to be efficient at the top of the roster. And in fact it will somewhat level the playing field for those that were going extremely focused and benefited very strongly from the old system but find themselves now at the unfortunate end of the system.

I would be interested in hearing your optimal solution as it is always easy to claim that some people will not like it. I doubt anyone can ever design a system that will make everyone happy.

Many people disliked either the original or the current mechanism. What is your suggestion to improve the fun for those?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I don‘t see my suggestion taking fun away from them. They can still compete and benefit from their superior roster and/or skills.

Less will win, if they are all matched against each other. They build strong rosters to win, remember? That's their idea of fun, remember?
    Unless you define gaming a matching mechanism to get easy wins as fun.

Strategizing is fun for many players.
    Then we have different definitions of fun.

My point exactly. Not all players have same idea of fun as you. What is fun for you (easier opponents for you personally) may not be fun for others.
    I would be interested in hearing your optimal solution as it is always easy to claim that some people will not like it.

Solution? To which problem?
    I doubt anyone can ever design a system that will make everyone happy.

We agree on this at least.
    Many people disliked either the original or the current mechanism. What is your suggestion to improve the fun for those?

The solution could be for those players to adapt.

• urtil
    73 posts Member

My point exactly. Not all players have same idea of fun as you. What is fun for you (easier opponents for you personally) may not be fun for others.

This just shows that you don‘t get my point at all. It has nothing to do with getting easier opponents.

In any case it seems this discussion here leads nowhere useful.

The devs stated they want matches that pitch more similar opponents against each other. It seems they still want to use GP for that. I made a suggestion that I think will achieve this goal better than the two prior mechanism and is also very easy to implement.

That‘s all. If you don‘t agree on the underlying goal of achieving more similar matchups then that‘s cool but there is limited use of discussing that any further.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

This just shows that you don‘t get my point at all. It has nothing to do with getting easier opponents.

But that would be the result for some players and that's your goal according to your original post (to prevent that one player could have 50 (/many) more high gear characters beyond the first 80 (in some bracket) 'relevant' characters than the opponent).
    In any case it seems this discussion here leads nowhere useful.

If by 'usefull' you mean that I should support your idea and agree with your arguments, then no, this is not usefull (for you).

However, I believe that the match-ups will be more even in the future with the current system as well when we see full GACs.
    As time passes and players advance through the leagues at different paces depending on their actual performance, I'm sure you will be matched against players who perform at your level and you will have your fun as well.
    The devs stated they want matches that pitch more similar opponents against each other. It seems they still want to use GP for that.

They also added the leagues system for that same purpose. We have yet to see the full impact of that.