Dealing with burnout....

DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited July 2019
I was at the end of my rope and was going to cut it and walk away. I was conflicted and felt I would be abandoning something I have worked hard on. No, not the game, our guild. All the ups and downs, that all leaders go through. changes in game can see half your members quit, move on to other guild, and so on. But through it all we have a tight core, and they have stuck with us, with me, so how can I walk away from that? Answer, I can't, not a quitter. Like the song says "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down.." Gamers never quit, they may reroll but we never quit.

Sooooo what to do?

The answers were right there in front of my face. I had to answer 2 questions.

1) Why am I feeling burned out?
2) How can I stop feeling that way?

Simple. I was playing 4 accounts, running 2 guilds, and learning to hate all of it. Too much pressure. The game is designed to push you to your limits and hopefully get you to spend money. BZZZZZZ nope, not gonna happen. When I feel bullied, When I feel pushed, I log off and go play another game for the day, 2 days whatever. I run dailies in SWGOH and AMF I'm off. I have discord open so my officers can find me, but they are more than capable of running things. (Something I frequently remind myself of. I chose well, now let them do their thing). Soooo I parked 3 accounts, cut the lesser guild lose and came to my senses.

My point is, We set the rules, we each choose our own path, blaming the game means an inanimate object is ruling us. Bag that, not happening. Seriously, play, or go away, it's our choice. Me, 100% F2P. My roster is in my signature. I've played since launch or a few weeks after, hard to remember now. My point is, if we loved the game once, step back and figure out what we miss and see what we can do. And don't forget, absence makes the heart grow founder. Playing just one game is a sure way to burnout. Def Leopard was wrong, it's not better to burnout than fade away ;)

./saber_salute

I'm an OG gamer from the days of text adventures, what a long strange trip it's been..

Replies

• You side with Metallica then, Life it seems will fade away...

Feeling burned out is only due to one expecting to be the top player, or feel they have to do everything. Those people should step back and learn to enjoy the game and realize they don't have to hold #1. Life's more important than a game, so play that to the fullest.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    Good for you. I agree 100% that we make our own choices and it's silly to blame the game for them. Running 4 accounts and 2 guilds definitely explains your feelings of burnout. Bravo for recognizing it and taking a step back.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • You side with Metallica then, Life it seems will fade away...

Feeling burned out is only due to one expecting to be the top player, or feel they have to do everything. Those people should step back and learn to enjoy the game and realize they don't have to hold #1. Life's more important than a game, so play that to the fullest.

Amen
  • TVF wrote: »
    Good for you. I agree 100% that we make our own choices and it's silly to blame the game for them. Running 4 accounts and 2 guilds definitely explains your feelings of burnout. Bravo for recognizing it and taking a step back.

Oh good Lord, TVF and I agree, that has to be a sign of the impending apocalypse ;) LOL
  • TVF wrote: »

Oh good Lord, TVF and I agree, that has to be a sign of the impending apocalypse ;) LOL

It's the end of the world as we know it....
  • DuneFlint
    648 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

It's the end of the world as we know it....

And I feel fine
  • Definitely a good idea for me to pull back. I have from here as well. Almost 3k of posts.. lol In an effort to be fair all around, the game does need to address a fair few issues. But listing them here is not appropriate.

TGIF YALL!
  • Ditto on the burnout feeling. I started to feel this a few months ago, so I cut out one facet of my gameplay.

Arena climbing started to feel more like a job than being “fun”. I reminded myself games are supposed to be fun, not endless stress and monotony. So I started shooting for top 20-50 instead of first every day, and it has worked wonders. Let’s me focus on GA, TW, and TB (which I find fun), and now I can climb at my leisure and not stress to claim first daily.

TL;DR burnout happens. Focus on what aspects of the game you find fun, and cut back on the others. Remember it’s a game, and don’t fall victim to the sunken cost fallacy.
  • Definitely a good idea for me to pull back. I have from here as well. Almost 3k of posts.. lol In an effort to be fair all around, the game does need to address a fair few issues. But listing them here is not appropriate.

TGIF YALL!

Yeah 4 accounts is crazy. I tried 2 and that was a big enough time sink. But now I have taught my daughter to manage it for the most part and while I still help her, it is far less tedious and far more fun.

I'm glad you are once again enjoying the game. After all that is the whole point.

TGIF YALL!

Yeah 4 accounts is crazy. I tried 2 and that was a big enough time sink. But now I have taught my daughter to manage it for the most part and while I still help her, it is far less tedious and far more fun.

I'm glad you are once again enjoying the game. After all that is the whole point.

Nice! My Padawan was playing the lowest acct but she decided playing with kids in the neighborhood was more fun, in fact she has kinda walked away from electronic devices for the most part. Not gonna complain but I do miss those times .. :)
  • Feedback? LOL Where threads go to die..lol
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Ohhhh it has a forward, that's new?