"Catching up"

Prev134
MasterJediBrian
450 posts Member
edited July 2019
It'd be great & not unfair at all, if the game somehow allowed players to catch up to players that have been with swgoh since 2015-2016 & beyond. Like after completing Daily Quests 365 times, the game could let you Max out any 6 Squads minimum, otherwise it's just a video game that says, "Sorry you weren't with us since or near launch, we don't let people catch up."
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• But you are in a “shard” system. The people in your arena are people who started at a similar time to you.

Grand arena matchmaking shouldn’t (hopefully) pit you against anyone who has years of playtime on you.
  • Witness
    48 posts Member
    They do. It’s called a credit card
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    How does mario kart relate to this?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    You can if you spend a lot. But if you don’t, why would it make sense for CG to let new people compete for free against loyal and committed long term players?
  • JRuibal
    25 posts Member
    SemiGod wrote: »
    How does mario kart relate to this?

It’s called a comeback mechanic. When you are behind in Mario kart you get better items to help you push forward, and when you are 1st or 2nd you only get the green shell
  • Are you suggesting they add a blue turtle shell to the game
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Blue Shell- 5 turn cooldown

Deal massive damage to the strongest enemy, and make your opponent absolutely furious.

RE: OP, "instantly maxing out 6 squads" is definitely way too much, but they really should add some more of the older characters into shops or something. Somebody starting from scratch now would have, like, 2 years of farming just to get all the legendary/hero characters.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Oldeuboi wrote: »
    Are you suggesting they add a blue turtle shell to the game

In a pod racing game mode.
    Why do you need to catch up to them?

The only time a player is pitted against someone that far ahead of them is if they are choosing to be in a guild that is above them, and that's a players choice, and they offer a path for you to make those choices and catch up. $$$.

Nothing about this game has any direct need for a player to catch up to other players, if they played without taking a break. If they took a break, that's their choice and a different conversation.

This game is measured in time, how much you have put in, this "advantage" (not really since we compete with players of the same timeframe) is what veterans get and they shouldnt diminish that.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    But you are in a “shard” system. The people in your arena are people who started at a similar time to you.

Grand arena matchmaking shouldn’t (hopefully) pit you against anyone who has years of playtime on you.
    GA/GAC matchmaking does not pay attention to account age as far as I can tell but I haven't found that to be a problem. If anything, older accounts tend to have more bloat from past metas and TB padding.
  • I’ve been playing since December 2015 and don’t have six maxed out squads, and the blue shell is awful, true Mario Kart is played on the SNES.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    It'd be great & not unfair at all, if the game somehow allowed players to catch up to players that have been with swgoh since 2015-2016 & beyond.

Why? You’re not competing with us. We don’t face you in Arena, we don’t face you in Grand Arena, we probably don’t face your guild in Territory Wars unless you were brought into a super competitive guild—in which case you don’t need to catch up, congrats you’ve already caught up.

You need to beat your peers, not us.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Like after completing Daily Quests 365 times, the game could let you Max out any 6 Squads minimum

I like how you added the "minimum" because giving you 6 maxed squads might not be enough.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Witness wrote: »
    They do. It’s called a credit card

Oh right, don't leave home without it if you're planning on going out to play a "F2P" game... p.s. even with a credit card, can you really buy the many Guild Tokens you need to get Wompa? My last Guild was delivering Guild Tokens & I was on pace to get Wompa in like 3-5 yrs...
    You need to switch guilds if Wampa is a 5-year farm.
  • Prosser
    282 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

The only time a player is pitted against someone that far ahead of them is if they are choosing to be in a guild that is above them, and that's a players choice, and they offer a path for you to make those choices and catch up. $$$.

Nothing about this game has any direct need for a player to catch up to other players, if they played without taking a break. If they took a break, that's their choice and a different conversation.

This game is measured in time, how much you have put in, this "advantage" (not really since we compete with players of the same timeframe) is what veterans get and they shouldnt diminish that.

Have you started a new toon lately? The only way to stay competitive in your shard, of all new players, is to join a strong guild that will carry you because that is what everyone does. If you don't, everyone will slowly but surely pull ahead due to getting more gear from raids, more guild tokens, more GeT, and more Zetas from TW. Even if you keep up farming the current meta, which means you never have time to farm older needed toons, you will still be behind your shard since they will have better geared toons.

If you try and follow the current natural progression of the game, you're setting yourself up for failure in your shard, again those new players you're supposed to be able to compete against. You'll barely get raid han, and the rest will have him as well as GK and Traya.

I personally dont think new players should be handed maxed squads, but something to speed up the earlier grinds is needed. Double shard drops of older toons or move them to multiple low energy hard nodes. Gear up to about level 10 or even 11 (let's be honest, most toons are useless until then) should be halved, ie make a stun gun need 25 salvage and 25 carbs. That or again, increase the drop rates of those gear pieces.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Kyno wrote: »

And what about player's needs? In a so-called "Free to Play" game (it's not completely free, more like a Weight Watcher's meeting being held in Charlie's Chocolate Factory), don't you think their needs should supersede those of the game? Or do you also believe people were made for the Law and that poor people shouldn't want or need more than they have?

If I understand this correctly, and after rereading it several times I'm still not sure I do, it is a very poor analogy and an even weaker "need" based argument. Can you expand on what you mean by, "don't you think their needs should supercede those of the game"?

Edit for typos (stupid phone)
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    This won't happen, they need you to either quit or think spending is the only (and the good) way. Pretty normal if you think about someone trying to get the revenue they deserve for their work, pretty pathetic if you think about how predatory and greedy they've become.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    CaroCanon wrote: »
    I’ve been playing since December 2015 and don’t have six maxed out squads, and the blue shell is awful, true Mario Kart is played on the SNES.

There are 27 squads. After an entire year of fulfilling every Daily task, maxing 6 squads would be a nice thing to do.

Where does 27 come from? There are about 170 characters in the game. Divided by 5 you get 34 "squads". This doesn't include ships.
  • Prosser
    282 posts Member
    Tbh, ya it's not much. However I can almost guarantee the older players will kick back less to my suggestion then giving players maxed squads.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    CaroCanon wrote: »
    I’ve been playing since December 2015 and don’t have six maxed out squads, and the blue shell is awful, true Mario Kart is played on the SNES.

There are 27 squads. After an entire year of fulfilling every Daily task, maxing 6 squads would be a nice thing to do.

Where does 27 come from? There are about 170 characters in the game. Divided by 5 you get 34 "squads". This doesn't include ships.

Squads by title. e.g. Clonetroopers, Nightsisters, Jawas, etc.

You want 6 full factions?

The Galactic Republic "squad" plus the Rebel "squad" account for around 58 characters out of 170.