What happened to GA?

Prev1
TAZZZOOO
245 posts Member
The first championship was nothing but close games but now I'm getting completely wiped. Is anyone else struggling/ having effortless games?

Replies

• Options
    Mine have been fairly even this time.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    I've gone from a 66% winning percentage to a 33% since they changed matchmaking. Might as well just make it all random, because winning is much more of a function of who you match up with and not your roster.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    TAZZZOOO wrote: »
    The first championship was nothing but close games but now I'm getting completely wiped. Is anyone else struggling/ having effortless games?

I've found it to be extremely consistent. Completely unbalanced matchup groupings both times. :D

In each of groups of 8 we've had all of the following:

1) At least one person without a single g13 character, while at least one other person has 7+

2) 5-6 People with fully maxed g13 Malak teams and at least 2-3 who don't have Malak at all.

3) Several people with multiple "alternate meta teams" (often a g13 GG/Sep droid team and a maxed BA/Geo squad) - while others have neither.

Just to be crystal clear, it's often the same players with advantages in all 3 categories and a few weaker players who have none.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    I wonder if we'll hear from CG devs after this is done as to whether the new matchmaking has WAI...
  • Options
    ann3pnprybrv.jpg
    This was the championship match (2-0 vs 2-0) of this round. Seems pretty even to me
  • Options
    I previously never finished with less than 2 wins. Since the “new” GAC matchmaking, I’ve finished with 1 win each time. Being marched vs full g13 Malak comps, when I have 0 g13s.

This new matchmaking is very disappointing.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »
    ann3pnprybrv.jpg
    This was the championship match (2-0 vs 2-0) of this round. Seems pretty even to me

The championship match should be evenly matched - it pits the two guys that have beaten everyone else twice against each other. That doesn't really show anything about the algorithm.

The two guys at the bottom of my bracket don't have Malak (the two that 0-2 going into the final match). The two 2-0 teams both have g13 Malak. Go figure. The 4 guys with 1 win? 3 Malak owners and me - I was lucky enough to be matched up against one of the poor 0-2 saps in the first round.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 66% winning percentage to a 33% since they changed matchmaking. Might as well just make it all random, because winning is much more of a function of who you match up with and not your roster.

which should increase the last 2 rounds if your good since you won't be fighting as hard a people

(now this is how it's supposed to be....... now if this is what happens..... prob not lol)
  • Options
    So far I've had all close rounds even with large gp/gear/meta gaps.
    The thing to remember is that the new matchmaking isn't designed to be "fair", it's designed to prevent blowouts. 2 very different things.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is that the new matchmaking isn't designed to be "fair", it's designed to prevent blowouts. 2 very different things.

I would say it's designed to ensure the least amount of people can make kyber but then again you can only lose once... and in 12 "even" matches that should be ridiculously impossible for most

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »

I would say it's designed to ensure the least amount of people can make kyber but then again you can only lose once... and in 12 "even" matches that should be ridiculously impossible for most

It's even more ridiculously impossible when they aren't "even" by any realistic definition...

• Options

What are you getting at with the last 2 sentences? The OP says he’s getting wiped which implies a blowout.

To the OP, the 1 round exhibition was the closest bracket for me, and it’s gotten gradually worse each round since. That being said, there’s not a huge difference between the first and last.

It’s really just the general problem of using GP in it's current form. If the bracket is set with everyone having similar meta characters, it will be close. When someone with lots of g12s and zetas on old characters gets paired against the same GP full of new characters, it will yield blowouts.
  • Options
    The first 1 week exhibition was pretty close in all matches.
    The last GA of this exihibition was also pretty close, i won in the end, but only because 2 opponents did the same amount of mistakes I did.
    This GA is extremely biased. I am the lowest GP player at 2,7m against players with 3,0-3,2m. But my Roster is better developed and focused on meta teams to the point that in all 3 matches, none of the opponents even bothered to attack...
    I do have to say I prefered the GP based matchmaking though. If my Offense was not as good as it is, my opponents this time could have whittled down my defense by just using like 5 extra teams i do not have...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    my opponents are closer to me in roster strenght since they changed matchmaking, but i would gladly go back ot the old matchmaking.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Pjfp
    34 posts Member
    Options
    I normally see people with a minimum of 400k more gp than me, but my roster is slightly better, some have padme or gg 7* g12 (which I don't), but I have g13 Dr and bsf, which helps a lot. And still won. The matchmaking for my bracket says the range goes from 3.1 to 3.749 mill gp, so lots of variety.
  • Options

The OP says he’s getting wiped which implies a blowout.

To the OP, the 1 round exhibition was the closest bracket for me, and it’s gotten gradually worse each round since.

I did mean blowout, each round has been gradually harder than the last with this last one being the worst.
    I have neither Malak or Darth Revan which is pain if my opponents puts both on defence (which they usually do lol) as this means I'm restricted to what I can do.
  • Options
    **** wrote: »
    The way I look at it is an efficient player should have an matchup advantage as they made smarter choices with toons, gear, mods.

You do this by matching them up with the same gp.

If you matchup players with only top 60/80, you’re going to create matchup players with people who have way bigger rosters.
    That’s a unfair matchup advantage the developers are giving the larger rosters and it makes a big difference imo.

Matchup players with the same gp and let the rankings sort it out. I like playing against people at my level or close to it. I don’t like being matched against 5+ mil accounts as I’m 4.5.

I have little interest in gac now. It sucks.

Youd feel difderent if youd started pre TW
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    **** wrote: »
    The way I look at it is an efficient player should have an matchup advantage as they made smarter choices with toons, gear, mods.

You do this by matching them up with the same gp.

If you matchup players with only top 60/80, you’re going to create matchup players with people who have way bigger rosters.
    That’s a unfair matchup advantage the developers are giving the larger rosters and it makes a big difference imo.

Matchup players with the same gp and let the rankings sort it out. I like playing against people at my level or close to it. I don’t like being matched against 5+ mil accounts as I’m 4.5.

I have little interest in gac now. It sucks.

Youd feel difderent if youd started pre TW

THIS X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
  • Options
    Undefeated and yes I have Malak. I am pitted against opponents with 400k more GP than me yet it doesn't stop me from winning. Focus your roster and you will fare better.
  • Options
    Focus your roster is a hard concept for those of us trying to be better in TBs and those who started before TW was a thing. No where in the game did it say "Do not build up heroes" that isnt the point of the game. The point is for the Devs to make money and have those of us losing think we need to build up and get Malak with money.
  • Options
    I'm one of them. I started before TB and TW. I joined a good guild that helped guide me on what to focus on. Now I am always top 5 in pvp and ship arenas. Did it come without cost? No, I put up some money but it's worth it for me.
  • Options
    All my previous match ups have been crap for me. Why can't we just forget about GACs and return to normal GAs with a normal matchmaking system.
    I don't care if the current matchmaking only filters the top 80 toons or whatever, the difference in GP allows for more toons to fall back on in case of failure.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Tiig
    296 posts Member
    Options
    All my previous match ups have been crap for me. Why can't we just forget about GACs and return to normal GAs with a normal matchmaking system.
    I don't care if the current matchmaking only filters the top 80 toons or whatever, the difference in GP allows for more toons to fall back on in case of failure.

You can. No-one is making you do GAC. You are free to forget about GACs altogether, but just because the matchmaking worked for you previously and doesn’t now, seems a pretty poor reason to stop everyone else having a crack. Don’t like it, don’t play it :-)
  • ObiJuanKenobi
    38 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I’ve won my last two championships, and my current GP is 4.03 million. Given that, I would say that the matchmaking is better, because they have been close matches for the most part. I have the edge because my Padme, Grevious, and Geos are better than my opponents’ and I am usually pretty good at examining opponents rosters and setting good defenses. I’m saying all of this to show that I am not winning because of unfair matchmaking. I’ve beaten several people with DRs, and I don’t have one. I like the matchmaking as it is
  • Options
    Its amazing how some folks think "what can cg do to help me win?" instead of "what can i do to help me win?" if your losing becaus you dont have a team and someone else does thats how it should rightfully be. If you want even matchmaking you should build teams even to your contemporaries. So many are quick to blame matchmaking rather than except responsibility for their decisions.
  • Options
    In my opinion, matchmaking has gotten worse. Before when it was based on gp, most losses could be because you did not farm the right toons or what not. That is a player problem not a matchmaking one.

But now, I'm frequently matched against those that have all the meta toons (that part is fine since I have all of them except malak and if I lose due to not getting malak, that's on me) and have 500k+ gp than I do. I'm at 3.9 mil gp so 500k may not seem like a lot but it is the difference in getting an opponent that has enough g12 or g13s to place maxed teams on defense and still have max teams left for offense while i have to dip into my g9, 10, or 11 characters.

And that is winnable when you get an inept opponent that has non meta teams but when they have all the meta teams and twice the # of g12 and g13 and 500k more gp, it isnot a close match up.

And from what I've seen, there is little you can do to get better matches. When it was based on gp, you could at least build a competitive roster going forward and it should eventually get better. And if you didn't have meta toons you could farm them.

But with the new matchmaking, if you have a lean roster and you focus on good toons, you likely will just continue to be matched with those that have more gp to male up for their shortcomings. I suppose i could bloat my roster and hope that results in more even matchmaking but that hardly seems like a solution.
  • Options
    Tiig wrote: »

You can. No-one is making you do GAC. You are free to forget about GACs altogether, but just because the matchmaking worked for you previously and doesn’t now, seems a pretty poor reason to stop everyone else having a crack. Don’t like it, don’t play it :-)

It seems that we'd have much less complaints about matchmaking if they implemented a system that actually made sense; like a system previously employed for the non-crappy GA events.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!