Is Water Wet

I think water isn't wet but some of my friends think it is. Let's end the debate right here.

Is Water Wet 33 votes

Yes Water Is Wet
45%
Nikoms565ZAPNo_TryKyJoe_CoolWarGuy101theatomicpunSebeksneaky_squirrel3MagicMatthews99DaPowerfulJediLordGrahckDarthKoonRhydiaTheUnchosenOneAkuraj 15 votes
No Water Isn't Wet
54%
SarcodinoNadebotfmCaptainRexSnake2CarSickShoeRavenclawsPerroYerff_CaasiRuark_IcefireSpyro324EffAPublicEyeDKisakeeDarthVeritlynDarthPorg3724NyanperorWolfCopdotx1987JebadiahSchiner 18 votes

Replies

• Yes Water Is Wet
    Can you have dry water?

No. Therefore it is wet.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Can you have dry water?

No. Therefore it is wet.

Isn't ice dry?
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    No Water Isn't Wet
    Here you can pretend my vote is actually yours
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    No Water Isn't Wet
    USCB Materials Research Laboratory, UC Santa Barbara, co-sponsored by National Science Foundation:

Is water wet?
    Question Date: 2018-01-04

Answer 1:
    Being a liquid, water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

Answer 2:

To answer this question, we need to define the term "wet." If we define "wet" as the condition of a liquid sticking to a solid surface, such as water wetting our skin, then we cannot say that water is wet by itself, because it takes a liquid AND a solid to define the term "wet."

If we define "wet" as a sensation that we get when a liquid comes in contact with us, then yes, water is wet to us.

If we define "wet" as "made of liquid or moisture", then water is definitely wet because it is made of liquid, and in this sense, all liquids are wet because they are all made of liquids. I think that this is a case of a word being useful only in appropriate contexts.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • No Water Isn't Wet
    I knew I was right!
  • Spyro324
    107 posts Member
    No Water Isn't Wet
    Ice is water
  • UdalCuain
    4996 posts Member
    DarthKoon wrote: »
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    It means this that are not on topic (duh). Not things that are completely random and pointless.

If you don't like it, you don't have to join in. Let people have their fun. You can always block the OP if it bothers you.

I apologise. I thought that the OP was just being stupid and not making a joke. I am not very good at reading Internet humour

I didn't mean to come across so rude either, seems harsh reading it back. Apologies.

It's just a daft post, for a bit of fun I believe, discussing one of the more common drinking debates. We've had all sorts in this off-topic section over the years. Keeps things fresh :smile:
  • EA_Joz
    4056 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Well, ask yourself this question. Is the fish considered wt while inside of the water or once its outside of the water? :#
  • Yes Water Is Wet
    Well, according to google:

Water isn't wet by itself, but it makes other materials wet when it sticks to the surface of them.
  • Yes Water Is Wet
    I might have to change my opinion.
  • DarthKoon wrote: »
    Well, according to google:

Water isn't wet by itself, but it makes other materials wet when it sticks to the surface of them.

If we use the google definition, saying that something is covered in water, on a molecular level water molecules are surrounded by other water molecules. So if there is more than one H2O molecule, the molecules surrounding them make them wet.
    Another chicken and egg question, but I did order one of each from amazon. I will let you know which arrives first.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    This ruined my friend group.

No one touch the poll it’s tied. I like it that way.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    It means this that are not on topic (duh). Not things that are completely random and pointless.

If you don't like it, you don't have to join in. Let people have their fun. You can always block the OP if it bothers you.

To be fair, you can block an OP(oster)'s posts but you can't block the actual OP(ost).

Of course you can not click on it, which is functionally the same as what you suggested.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • No Water Isn't Wet
    I used to say yes, just to troll people :wink:
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex wrote: »

Maybe if Samuel L. Jackson did this same exact video, I would be convinced.
  • No Water Isn't Wet
    If water were wet than we would have malak
  • If water were wet than we would have malak

Maybe Malak is hiding from Vader on Tatooine with Owen Lars because sand.