Smack Talk in-game

Prev1
Chibs
5 posts Member
edited July 2019
I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've never gotten something like this. Should this be reported?

https://imgur.com/a/4zZ613C
Post edited by Chibs on

Replies

• It's a common thing. Abide by shard chats or get ostracised from the top 10, 20, 50, whatever. CG does nothing about it. You can either continue to hit him and see if he follows through on his threats, don't hit him and get your payout, or keep hitting him but change your name every time so he doesn't know it's you.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • That's a genuine threat, which'll lead to online bullying and potentially a wellbeing/safety issue.

Situations like this should not be ignored by CG as, essentially, they're complicit in allowing intimidation tactics to run rife on their designed platform. That's not rivalry, it's the start of online abuse
  • I'd keep hitting him. Good luck to you
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    That's a genuine threat, which'll lead to online bullying and potentially a wellbeing/safety issue.

Situations like this should not be ignored by CG as, essentially, they're complicit in allowing intimidation tactics to run rife on their designed platform. That's not rivalry, it's the start of online abuse

That's just so much LOLZ. Threat to what? Getting hit back in a competetive environment?
  • No_Try wrote: »
    That's a genuine threat, which'll lead to online bullying and potentially a wellbeing/safety issue.

That's just so much LOLZ. Threat to what? Getting hit back in a competetive environment?

A threat to your mental health & wellbeing, this is how trolling starts. If it's not addressed it's also a real threat to the longevity & profit of the game - why would you start/continue playing a game when you know the forums can have players 'making sure' you never achieve again?

There's kids on this game man, it's not setting a very good precedent is it? Unless you agree with shard bullying
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »

A threat to your mental health & wellbeing, this is how trolling starts. If it's not addressed it's also a real threat to the longevity & profit of the game - why would you start/continue playing a game when you know the forums can have players 'making sure' you never achieve again?

There's kids on this game man, it's not setting a very good precedent is it? Unless you agree with shard bullying

I don't know how your mental health & well being works, but mine is uneffected by threats to get hit on a pvp mode, it's the very nature of the beast. There's nothing personal about that message, it refers exactly to these game events. Whether it's blunt or inappropriate as considered from the receiving end doesn't matter. The receiver is able to -mute- the sender if they are bothered, but they should be ready for the ingame consequences as well. Either case there's nothing against TOS in that smack talk.

I agree with what you refer as -shard bullying- which has nothing to do with that claim. It's called competetive pvp.

I don't know how your mental health & well being works, but mine is uneffected by threats to get hit on a pvp mode, it's the very nature of the beast. There's nothing personal about that message, it refers exactly to these game events. Whether it's blunt or inappropriate as considered from the receiving end doesn't matter. The receiver is able to -mute- the sender if they are bothered, but they should be ready for the ingame consequences as well. Either case there's nothing against TOS in that smack talk.

I agree with what you refer as -shard bullying- which has nothing to do with that claim. It's called competetive pvp.

It shouldn't be happening, but it does, which means it's part of the game - I think it's conceivable that someone who doesn't have your mental health and well being could see this as a red flag, so I sympathise with @Chibs and anyone else who receives a message that ends with 'I will make sure you never etc etc again'.

Take it out of context and put it in another situation: If I said to you 'hey good game of table tennis but if you keep beating me I'll make sure you never win a trophy again' hot **** did you just threaten me? That's cool we've got governance and accountability at this table tennis tournament* so this can be dealt with appropriately.

Except it isn't table tennis, it's SWGOH, any threat is not ok. Shard Bullying is not ok. Shard competition is exactly what's needed, but that ^^^ can have no positive outcome whatsoever.

*I have never been to a table tennis tournament
  • First off, all good points aside, @chibs I would hide the name of the threatener real quick to abide with forum rules.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

It shouldn't be happening, but it does, which means it's part of the game - I think it's conceivable that someone who doesn't have your mental health and well being could see this as a red flag, so I sympathise with @Chibs and anyone else who receives a message that ends with 'I will make sure you never etc etc again'.

Take it out of context and put it in another situation: If I said to you 'hey good game of table tennis but if you keep beating me I'll make sure you never win a trophy again' hot **** did you just threaten me? That's cool we've got governance and accountability at this table tennis tournament* so this can be dealt with appropriately.

Except it isn't table tennis, it's SWGOH, any threat is not ok. Shard Bullying is not ok. Shard competition is exactly what's needed, but that ^^^ can have no positive outcome whatsoever.

Nah I don't do analogies, you presented 2 distinct situations. Is the threatener here have any pull with CG to ensure that person loses capability to play arena? Anything he's capable of is within the playing domain. And he's not capable of much either.

If you keep replying, I'm gonna sic a school of sea bass on you.

Nah I don't do analogies, you presented 2 distinct situations. Is the threatener here have any pull with CG to ensure that person loses capability to play arena? Anything he's capable of is within the playing domain. And he's not capable of much either.

It's fine that you don't do analogies, that's your choice! Unfortunately for you analogies exist so whether you do or do not do them, the point stands - bullying should not be tolerated.

This looks like you're siding with shard bullying and that's your choice too. The person in question may have pull within the shard and thus profit from threatening others. Speak truth to power, I'm all for the more players competing the better - are you?

When players find cheats that's within the playing domain, and cheats get nerfed. Here's hoping threateners get nerfed too! @Chibs you keep at it, may the force be with you
  • Chibs
    5 posts Member
    I agree with a lot in this thread.

1. This guy is just a rude *$&%
    2. Since there wasn't any offensive language, race based insult, sexual tones. It's basically just the run of the mill smack talk. To which my official response is "your mother".
    3. Only if it got to point 2, should any intervention take place.
    4. I disagree with the idea of shard chats to determine who gets top spots. Takes away from the competitveness of the game and the nature of the pay based system. I won't post his account here but it is evident that a good amount of $$$ has been pumped into that account. Considering I have put $0.00 into this game I can see why he might feel entitled.
    5. I'm not looking for a safe space or anything like that, I just muted him. Easy. Done. I just wanted to know what the precedence of this is. Like if he starts contacting me on a smurf account, is that not harassment?
  • Chibs wrote: »

2. Since there wasn't any offensive language, race based insult, sexual tones. It's basically just the run of the mill smack talk. To which my official response is "your mother".
    4. I disagree with the idea of shard chats to determine who gets top spots. Takes away from the competitveness of the game and the nature of the pay based system. I won't post his account here but it is evident that a good amount of $$$ has been pumped into that account. Considering I have put $0.00 into this game I can see why he might feel entitled.
    5. I'm not looking for a safe space or anything like that, I just muted him. Easy. Done. I just wanted to know what the precedence of this is. Like if he starts contacting me on a smurf account, is that not harassment?

Yeah *5 would definitely be harassment. It's not so much that what they said is grounds for getting kicked, but it shouldn't be tolerated. A three strikes warning system could work, just to make it clear that this is, you know, just a game
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

It's fine that you don't do analogies, that's your choice! Unfortunately for you analogies exist so whether you do or do not do them, the point stands - bullying should not be tolerated.

This looks like you're siding with shard bullying and that's your choice too. The person in question may have pull within the shard and thus profit from threatening others. Speak truth to power, I'm all for the more players competing the better - are you?

When players find cheats that's within the playing domain, and cheats get nerfed. Here's hoping threateners get nerfed too! @Chibs you keep at it, may the force be with you

As I said multiple times by now, I don't agree with your definition of bullying and threat. You are just drawing real world corellations that doesn't exist to make the situation seem completely unlike it really is.

I don't know how these 2 player payouts align since there's no reply, from the looks of it the ingame poster has later payout than the op and op is hitting him on his way up. While expressed rudely, it's a very reasonable request in and of itself, one that benefits both players since they will both be able to reach the top at their own po's, both getting the top reward daily which goes out of CGs pocket (well, a virtual pocket xD).

You pulled the shard chat card as a joker, there's no implication in this exchange whether one is involved or not. CG's stance towards shard chats has been pretty clear until now, just launch a new topic and make a case to prohibit the existence of shard chats then. Let's see where that goes.
  • Dr_Napkinhead
    23 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    threat

1.a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done. (Real world definition)

Specifically, sic'ing a school of sea bass on someone for questioning someone that's the above. I don't think a threat would happen face to face, so why is that ok through a screen? The 'If you don't like it then leave' argument sounds familiar... wasn't that a real world palps?
  • Chibs
    5 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Just to make clear - I haven't been invited to any shard chat. Nor would I join one, sounds like too much coordination for something that shouldn't been coordinated in the first place. Shards shouldn't be set in stone imo, they should be jumbled every month or so to prevent any prolonged coordination.

His threat is basically meaningless and empty since I previously was never able to break top-20 until I finally unlocked the Mill-Falc during it's last run, and it's only 5*. I'm perfectly accustomed to NOT making top rank in fleet battles. Most days I can't even get in top 5 and have only gotten first less than a hand-full of times.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    threat

1.a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done. (Real world definition)

Specifically, sic'ing a school of sea bass on someone for questioning someone that's the above. I don't think a threat would happen face to face, so why is that ok through a screen? The 'If you don't like it then leave' argument sounds familiar... wasn't that a real world palps?

Ah ok, then report me for threatening to sic a school of bass on you. We seem to live in completely different worlds.

Once again you are confusing one distinct situation (the possibility of an ingame threat) with another one (shard chats) and I said if you are arguing on the 2nd, do that, don't make it seem like you are arguing for the 1st.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Chibs wrote: »

Yeah, if he starts on stalker behaviour, that's definitely cause for a report.
  • Dar_Penthar
    598 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn't classify that as smack talk... smack talk is more playful than that (i.e. I'm going to hit your account so hard you drop down into the 200's next time).

What was said there is a threat and potentially bullying thru and thru.... gotta love the mafia style shard chats that CG refuses to address.
  • Kids dont get chat access. He simply stated what he believed to be fact. No bullying. When invited to a chat you can accept and read or choose not to accept. That's on you. Maybe that guys po is the next hour, if so yeah I'd ruin your po too lol.
  • Well either way, he's doing a lousy job.
  • While its not a physical threat, I have to agree, the wording is clearly a "threat" & isn't smack talk if you ask me.

A threat of what? Basically **** bullying which is apparently a problem with youth today.

Everyone likes to flex internet muscles.

At first I liked the idea of shard chats to coordinate payout times.

The idea of Mafia style ganging up on anyone not in the chat however borders on cheating IMHO and at the very least is unsportsmanlike behavior.

So I guess it all comes to how the chat is handled.

• PS. Why on earth is (c*y*b*e*r) being caught by the naughty filter?
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Johnny77p wrote: »
    Kids dont get chat access. He simply stated what he believed to be fact. No bullying. When invited to a chat you can accept and read or choose not to accept. That's on you. Maybe that guys po is the next hour, if so yeah I'd ruin your po too lol.

Because no kid ever lied about their age for anything ever.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    @Chibs what you really should have done, is ask when that player's PO is, and if there's a shard chat you could join to know who else to avoid.
  • Maybe, but I think this guys opening salvo shouldn't have been a targetted threat. In any case he hasnt stopped me from anything. Empty threats from a child.
  • That struck me as more of a threat than smack talk, but I wouldn't say that it's grounds for a report. Or for half of these "oh my gosh it's bullying and that's terrible and think of the children!" responses. You handled it well by laughing it off and blocking him.
  • Did you respond? I've found many people fly off the handles initially but can also be reasoned with.
  • Chibs
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Did you respond? I've found many people fly off the handles initially but can also be reasoned with.

No, I thought it would infuriate him more if I didn't.