Name Change?

Hi, all.

I can't change my in-game name and there was no option to do so when I created my account. My iPhone7 is set at my real birthday (I'm 34), as is my EA account, although I don't know if that matters or not. There's no pencil for me to change my character name. Can I call EA and have them change it? I realize I might not be able to access chat no matter what, but at least players would be able to easily tell who I am. I read other threads but couldn't find an answer as to what to do if there's no pencil by my character name.

Replies

• FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    If you can't change name or access chat it sounds like you're in a minor account. I think there's a workaround I saw on Reddit, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found this for iOS:

Reset to factory settings, and set up as a new device when it restarts, going through all the steps
    Sign out of Game Center in settings
    Install and run SWGOH
    DO NOT SIGN INTO GAME CENTER WHEN THE PROMPT COMES UP
    Go through the tutorial
    Wonder how you ever managed without 4x speed
    At the end of the tutorial set your age correctly when prompted
    Close SWGOH
    Load it up again and this time sign back into Game Center
    Your profile should sync and you can enjoy the wonders of guild chat etc.

Let me know if it works!
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Worked like a charm!

I am Mol Eliza no more. It was completely worth resetting my iPad to make this change.
  • I had the same problem, and followed FailingCrab's instructions and it worked perfect!

Don't bother calling EA...if you started it as an underage(minor) account, they won't (can't) change it. Follow these instructions.
  • csberte wrote: »
    I had the same problem, and followed FailingCrab's instructions and it worked perfect!

Don't bother calling EA...if you started it as an underage(minor) account, they won't (can't) change it. Follow these instructions.

I can confirm this. I called today and they said it was Apple's side and the birthdate with my AppleID so I checked and the birthday was set to 1970. They won't change it.
    If you can't change name or access chat it sounds like you're in a minor account. I think there's a workaround I saw on Reddit, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found this for iOS:

Reset to factory settings, and set up as a new device when it restarts, going through all the steps
    Sign out of Game Center in settings
    Install and run SWGOH
    DO NOT SIGN INTO GAME CENTER WHEN THE PROMPT COMES UP
    Go through the tutorial
    Wonder how you ever managed without 4x speed
    At the end of the tutorial set your age correctly when prompted
    Close SWGOH
    Load it up again and this time sign back into Game Center
    Your profile should sync and you can enjoy the wonders of guild chat etc.

Let me know if it works!

This worked perfectly! You do not have to reset to factory settings. I just deleted the game and followed the other instructions.
  • csberte
    10 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    They must have nerfed something. I couldn't do it anymore, so I followed the same instructions, and it didn't work anymore. I tried it several times, across multiple devices. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.
  • csberte wrote: »
    They must have nerfed something. I couldn't do it anymore, so I followed the same instructions, and it didn't work anymore. I tried it several times, across multiple devices. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Likewise, i logged out of google play uninstalled game, created a new google account, installed the game. And nothing just kept the same progress like on my minor account. Which is sad cus i like the game and willing to spend money but surely not like this and on a minor account.
    The thing is that for days iam looking for a solution which is clear and helping since alot of ppl have this problem but nothing.
  • I lost my chat around December 18, 2019, for no apparent reason. All EA support could offer me was a copy of Reddit post for Game Center. I tried it on my Android phone with Google Play and it didn't work. Really annoying considering I had chat for years and it just vanished one day. I have always been over 18 and never set my age to anything but my real age. Very frustrating!
  • TMO
    18 posts Member
    Has anyone got this to work recently?
  • just set ur age to max always
  • TMO
    18 posts Member
    just set ur age to max always

Good advice but does not help me since this account was setup a few years ago, any work arounds?
  • Hi everyone i have a problem.I don't know how to change name of the game and cannot access the chat.Can help.
  • I tried this, and it worked up until i reloaded from game center, it just put everything back the way it was, tried it twice even, not sure what i am doing wrong, has there been any update on this one?
  • If I delete the app and install it again will I lose all my progress?
  • I am also confused, because my brother is able to change his name, but his account is set at age 10. Mine is set for age 20 but I can’t change my name. Please help.
  • I started my account when I was 11 or 12, so maybe it just doesn’t acknowledge that I aged?
  • I understand why they don’t want kids to chat with others, but I don’t understand why they can’t simply change their name. I hate being stuck as Mol Eliza.
  • It is a few days later. I tried this trick multiple times, and at the end of the tutorial there isn’t even an option to put in an age at all. This does not work.
  • What is it with this glitch/bug. Anyone else, having this problem.