GA matchups being unfair

Can the GA match start taking in to account how many zetas people have, just saying a guy with 40 zetas has to be pretty stupid on defense to lose to someone with 15 zetas

Replies

• Ha I have 30 on my alt and because my roster is really lean usually get matched up against people with 5. Unfortunately for me my zetas are the 30 scoundrel zetas so things like clone wars chewbacca are pretty worthless. I usually win though...
  • Mrboma
    31 posts Member
    Full GP is not an accurate way to gauge a roster, or adequate for creating competitive match-ups. They should definitely look at number of zetas and number of gear 12 characters. I am at 1.8 mil GP. I have 6 gear 12 characters. I was just matched up with someone with 16 gear 12 characters. I had no chance against his defenses.

Or if they are going to look at GP, they should only do it for the top half of the roster (or less). They should easily be able to determine how many characters are required/likely to be used and just look at the GP for those characters. I had to set 6 squads in 3v3, so I needed 18 characters on defense and 18 on offense for a total of 36 characters. Of course, I usually use a few characters outside of my top 36. And I sometimes need to battle a few squads multiple times. So say, 18x3 = 54 characters (which is exactly the number I used in the last GA before I gave up - and I was using absolute trash at the end). That's 39% of my full roster. There's no way the top 40% of my roster should have been matched up against the top 40% of his roster. Not even close. His roster is so top heavy it is insane. He has 48 characters who are still level 1 gear 1.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    What's interesting is this from a dev Q&A from about a year ago when someone asked about TW matchmaking: Question: "Can you provide any clarity on why a more complex TW pairing method is superior to simply matching closely on GP of participating members? Shouldn't GP capture additional factors like # of G12, rosters, etc...?" Answer: "GP while intended to reflect the overall power of characters doesn't always capture the nuance of good synergies and so while it can be a benchmark for overall power - it is actually not sufficient for something as intricate as matchmaking. Nightsisters are good example of where the GP doesn't reflect the power of the squad."

Ummmm, so why hasn't this been taken into account in GA? Even if the initial matchmaking formula just used GP, it should have been tweaked by now. I mean they acknowledge that GP isn't an accurate comparison for TW but then GA matchmaking just uses GP.
  • Skiddlydiddly
    129 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I've faced players who significantly out gear me and still won; which makes it more satisfying.

I can see how facing a team deliberately built lean is frustrating at lower levels, but your teams may have done the same to other players.
    Post edited by Skiddlydiddly on
  • Well, I got paired with people that have 100k up to 200k higher GP than mine, with also more guild raids won and more guild tokens earned than I have. Is this intended? Not to mention they have 30 characters at g12+ while I have barely 5. This is actually my first grand arena where I'm facing these issues, where the other players in my bracket have huge roster differences between us.
  • I've been on the "leaner" side of this, even at 3.7mil gp. I regularly go up against people without Traya, or either Revan, and this match I was the only one in 8 with Darth Revan, and one of 2 people with Jedi Revan. I have double the g12 and almost double the g11 of each person I've faced. I feel for those that have faced me, and while I won't complain about the wins, it feels a tad... Dirty.
  • nottenst
    682 posts Member
    Well, I got paired with people that have 100k up to 200k higher GP than mine, with also more guild raids won and more guild tokens earned than I have. Is this intended? Not to mention they have 30 characters at g12+ while I have barely 5. This is actually my first grand arena where I'm facing these issues, where the other players in my bracket have huge roster differences between us.

This round I've been up against two players who have more than 1000 more GW battles than I have. They had a definite advantage and squads that have given other players trouble in past GA were one-shots this time around. I might as well have set no defenses this time.
  • they simply have to add how many g12 and zeta to the algo and matchups will be much much more fair @CG_SBCrumb
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    they simply have to add how many g12 and zeta to the algo and matchups will be much much more fair @CG_SBCrumb
    So I can just stop gearing at g11+5 to get easier matchups? Sweet!

Not quite so simple. ;)
  • Mrboma wrote: »
    Full GP is not an accurate way to gauge a roster, or adequate for creating competitive match-ups. They should definitely look at number of zetas and number of gear 12 characters. I am at 1.8 mil GP. I have 6 gear 12 characters. I was just matched up with someone with 16 gear 12 characters. I had no chance against his defenses.

Or if they are going to look at GP, they should only do it for the top half of the roster (or less). They should easily be able to determine how many characters are required/likely to be used and just look at the GP for those characters. I had to set 6 squads in 3v3, so I needed 18 characters on defense and 18 on offense for a total of 36 characters. Of course, I usually use a few characters outside of my top 36. And I sometimes need to battle a few squads multiple times. So say, 18x3 = 54 characters (which is exactly the number I used in the last GA before I gave up - and I was using absolute trash at the end). That's 39% of my full roster. There's no way the top 40% of my roster should have been matched up against the top 40% of his roster. Not even close. His roster is so top heavy it is insane. He has 48 characters who are still level 1 gear 1.

I have to kind of disagree with you on ur thought process, I have close to 40 XII toons and I have lost to guys with half that number. Even with a 3.1mil GP and huge inventory doesn't save me most of the time. Dont get me wrong I do take 1st a third of the time BUT as someone posted earlier its about strategy and anticipating your opponents defensive tactics and of course how to set your D to disrupt their O. Is GA a little wonky? Absolutely! Should EA sit in a room and rework GA's balancing? Without a doubt. You CAN win you just need to figure out how to beat them. Remember speed KILLS! Thank you
  • The new pairing system is a good step in the right direction, but there is an important thing that needs to be fixed to be a fair system.

Due to the pairing using only “active GP” you are (with a smaller roster) never allowed to miss an attack, so the player with the larger (more outside of the “active GP”) roster will always have a great advantage. This can be fixed in a couple of ways
    - You could add for example 10%, or 2 more teams, on top of what is now defined as “active GP”. That would
    give a more fair match in total
    - Or, that you are only allowed to use the “active GP”, but that would probable need to be combined
    with some other action (like a. for example)

It is very unfair if one player has got exactly 10 teams facing a player with the same teams and some more teams in case you miss a first attempt.
  • rokota
    166 posts Member
    @TheMammon

You are right, but where would you draw the line? If you add necessery teams +2 into count to include a possible second try somewhere then you might still face enemies who will have a third, fourth etc. try to clean a defensive team :wink:

I fully agree with you, this matchmaking is a HUGE step into the right direction, but the possibly lesser tries aren't a dramatic issue. Because of the GAC league system you will always have to clean the board to stay competitive so it is a general move to less defense and more offense in the long run. Winning by point will be more effective than holding own territories with the loss of attacking power.

The main issue i have with actual system is the fact that we have a lot of cross-division groups, with the result of uneven defense slots in the same division. And all final rewards are based on the rank you have achieved WITHIN your division (and league), not to mention to points you need to climb leagues!

e.g. in the last exhibition in div 4 we had a few players who could set (and attack) 8 times, the majority had 6 slots, and a few very poor only 5! Over 4 to 5 weeks full competition these missing slots will cost you almost a full league, and you can't do anything against.

This "diversity" within a division should be avoided, at all costs! I know it is a very difficult task to handle divisions AND group matchmaking at the same time but it has to be done, or it would be a very unfair situation for a lot of players at the end.
  • Dagobond
    134 posts Member
    Don't forget secondary speed mods and 6-DoT mods. I faced opponents in the last GAC who had over 3 times my high end secondary speed and 6-DoT mods. That alone means you will have no chance whatsoever.
  • I keep being paired with opponents with 150% of my GP. Is it because my guild is (relatively) successful?
    I have a number of good teams, but not enough to field 5 winning teams in defence and offence. Or even close to that. My back row in the 5x5 setting is usually ridiculous...
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I keep being paired with opponents with 150% of my GP. Is it because my guild is (relatively) successful?
    I have a number of good teams, but not enough to field 5 winning teams in defence and offence. Or even close to that. My back row in the 5x5 setting is usually ridiculous...

Nothing to do with your guild, you get matched based on the total GP of your top X toons. X is the number of your defense slots*10. You can check if those sliced GP numbers match in dsr bot that's on almost all servers.
  • All my opponents have malak. It's mathematically impossible. 85% of players got malak!? I don't think so. This matchmaking is really unfair and penalise ftp players.
  • I suggest return to 100% random matchups. Sometime you win sometime you lose. The way they "arranged" it just make some permanent losers and permanents winners based on arbitrary critera...
  • Pvp only. Try to force everything else only gonna make thing worse. The top performers of my guild are now the worst players ans good ones can't find a way to win. It's really unfair
  • The only "unfair" thing is ... when you went in a bracket / division calculated on your total GP ... but in real you can use only your characters GP, because there os no ship fights...

The problems could be easily solved, if CG increasing from 8 ( in division 2 ) spots actually to 16 spots in defence and from 2 row to 4 row ... than you are forced to put weaker teams and makes it more strategic thing ...
  • The GP is really the key point. You fix the GP = you fix the GA matching. Atm GP is not showing the true power of a character. Some of the characters can solo many team but with just above 20k gp. On the other hand, some of the characters with around 20k gp but almost useless.
  • Is_this_name_taken
    6 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Coruscant Underworld Police gains 300% potency then gives 33.3% of this potency to all other units before forfeiting all potency. Upon recieving this potency, all characters forfeit 25% of this potency back to Coruscant Underworld Police then lose 8% potency which is applied before the prior removal. If Mace Windu is present he is called to assist.