Something is rotten in the state of GAC

1235Next

Replies

• Ultra wrote: »
    l61j0qf2xsjv.jpeg
    Using any means necessary, eh?

Well yes, if nobody catches you. Do you know how Maradona beat England in 86' World Cup? Nobody remembers the losers
  • Kyno wrote: »
    There are several points to consider when looking at the scoring.

Firstly we are still in an exhibition, this means that it is possible this will change as time moves on.

Secondly, it actually makes sense that from a division a "mid level" GP would have a chance to get more points than the "top dogs", some possible reasons are- facing slightly easier defenses, which could lead to more feats being completed, more points gained from teams/zones cleared, and general wins

Third, as has been stated before, "top player" doesn't have any direct correlation to GP. This is what makes GP a good base for matching, it allows the player to shine through with skill easier match ups from a poorly designed matchmaking system.
    Fixed that for you. You're welcome!

• wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    Drazz127 wrote: »
    So I think a big problem is this doesnt consider the stupid feats. Feats should have ZERO baring in getting points. As you have zero way of accurately making any conclusion of who truly did "well" in GAC. I personally was 475 points shy of Kyber and lost only 1 match. I also didnt go ham on most of the feats as I focused on locking the wins in more than doing the feats. So its whatever.

TLDR Leader board is worthless

Everyone on the leaderboard had to go undefeated, with nearly all feats completed, with all territories cleared. Additionally feats make it even harder to win in some instances, which is part of the strategy you have to employ.
    Hardly worthless.... The only question is if they are legit or not.
    My alt could have lost 3 matches and still made kyber. If you only lost 1 match and still missed it, you must have ignored feats completely.

This is not true at all, it's just a flaw in design heavily favoring only one side of the court. Most sophisticated and "fair" systems allow you to win through different means - you just focus on your strategy, that's also why "wins" are much more weighted in traditional sports than points scored, because those are always relative - depending on current opponent. So unless they incentivise defenses in any way or start weighting in wins more than points gained, we will have imbalanced leaderboards.
    Just to give an example: I won all 3 matches at one GA event, but my opponent that lost to me got a few more points than I did in the end. Only reason was that I went heavy defense limiting my opponents heavily, while he just went heavy offense.
  • wawrzon wrote: »
    This is not true at all, it's just a flaw in design heavily favoring only one side of the court. Most sophisticated and "fair" systems allow you to win through different means - you just focus on your strategy, that's also why "wins" are much more weighted in traditional sports than points scored, because those are always relative - depending on current opponent. So unless they incentivise defenses in any way or start weighting in wins more than points gained, we will have imbalanced leaderboards.
    Just to give an example: I won all 3 matches at one GA event, but my opponent that lost to me got a few more points than I did in the end. Only reason was that I went heavy defense limiting my opponents heavily, while he just went heavy offense.

You do get 1,000 points plus whatever you clear for a win. The max you get for clearing the board is 1,200 if you get 8x60. If you can't win without setting such a heavy defense that you can't clear anything on offense, then that's really your only option. If you want to do better, I'd suggest a more balanced approach.
  • Drazz127 wrote: »
    wawrzon wrote: »

You do get 1,000 points plus whatever you clear for a win. The max you get for clearing the board is 1,200 if you get 8x60. If you can't win without setting such a heavy defense that you can't clear anything on offense, then that's really your only option. If you want to do better, I'd suggest a more balanced approach.

That is only valid for Div 1 and partially for focused Div 2 players. Other divisions lack roster depth to do as you suggested (mod depth is also an issue). This is only to point out that theory is one thing and reality another.

On another note, if anybody hadn't noticed yet, CG started to clean house. There are a few ranked players from Div 1 that were banned. Most notably 1&2 that are either guildless or inactive since GAC ended, even though TB is going on. Some others with lower rankings are guildless as well.
    Let's hope CG keeps this upward trend going and compensate those that were affected by these unfair matchups.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    There are several points to consider when looking at the scoring.

Secondly, it actually makes sense that from a division a "mid level" GP would have a chance to get more points than the "top dogs", some possible reasons are- facing slightly easier defenses, which could lead to more feats being completed, more points gained from teams/zones cleared, and general wins

It makes sense if you are willing to accept that the "top dogs" in a division (excluding division 1) almost never get to face players within their own division thanks to a broken match making system and instead they have to face opponents in the division above them in every single match, vastly increasing the likelihood of them losing.

RWTD_Burn - Bears with Sabers
    https://swgoh.gg/u/rwtdBurn/
  • The current match making algorithm is terrible imo.

As keno alluded to, it favors the moderately competitive mid tier player who can much more easily complete the feats and are more likely to get matched up against ppl who could care less about the game mode (i.e. ez wins).

I'd love for them to change it more like a proper ladder within each division (none of this cross division crap). Advancement is simply based on win/loss and you are only matched up with ppl within a certain rank range. So simple, and yet if the tournament series runs long enough, it will actually give an accurate indication of who are the best players in each division.
  • Since when is this game skill based ?

It's almost pure luck based since speed >>> everything which leads to MODS >>> everything.
    And guess what ? You have to have a ton of luck to get the GOD speed mods.
    Fortunatly, this changed with the introduction of Padme and Grievious.

But then there is all the RNG involved in combat. You strategize everything and the Drevan dodges your best attack...

So you can't be the best by skill but by luck and you can aleviate it a little by paying a lot.

The leaderboard reflects only lucky people who have some skills but not the reverse.