Cheating In Galaxy of Heroes [MEGA]

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

I can't prove that you can still cheat in MSF, i don't even play the game. I just think it's a rather bold claim to state that a game can prevent all cheating if they chose to devote adequate resources to the problem.

It is just hating from your side as he is completly correct about this issue with point 5. Travesty is not talking about all cheating but about this exact style of cheating which we know all about. All other games solved this issue except SWGOH (CG). CG just doesn´t care at all about it (and even about our opinion anymore) and they just stack our money and laugh to our faces... We all know about this issue for a long time and NOTHING happened to this day. Now someone published it and what they do? Punished him for their lack of responsibilies in this problem... And we all also know they have enough resources to solve it, they just don´t want to... They just prove it with this all announcments.

Maybe i'm just a hater, but i can't take anyone serious who thinks that the devs of a mobile game don't care about cheating and the prevention of cheating.
    Just out of curiousity, how exactly did MSF prevent cheating of this exact style?

You have to take all this people serious as you have proof in front of your face for more than three years here. (we are still talking about this exact style of cheating).

It is not possible to prevent it, but can stop the people from doing it with easiest reporting system (battle logs) it shows you how they beat your squad and you can report the cheater. Afterwards they can ban the person even with IP ban which is possible and will stop cheaters to play the game. (MSF did it also this way)

I was part of Innogames and we were giving bans to accounts according to these battle logs and if the person did it again we gave him IP ban which is 100% possible and the game got much cleaner thanks to it. The question is why CG doesn´t want to do it? (not why they don´t work on it as they had over three years of solving this issue) It took us one and half month to make this logs work and there was over 50mil. people playing the game. They used it also for their new and old games (over 350mil. active accounts) as they saw it working very well.

Okay, so they didn't actually prevent the cheating at all, they just made it easier to spot/report.
    i rest my case.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »
    Are you guys really arguing over if you can cheat on defence? Who gives a ..... Stop derailing from what's important. People can and are cheating and CG has no way to detect it. They lied by omission of not anything, and no one with more sense than money should be defending them in any way.

Except there was no omission. They have reported multiple times on what they are doing to try to combat cheating.

Do you have any evidence that CG has done anything to combat cheating?

(other than put the burden of identifying and reporting cheaters on other players to self report it, while at the same time not giving players any tools to help identify cheaters such as battle logs?)

What possible evidence could I have of what CG has done to combat cheating besides the statements that they've made? If you refuse to believe what they themselves say about what they are doing, then I have no hope of convincing you.

Not that that has anything to do with my post, which was responding to somebody who claimed that they lied by omission about the fact that people can cheat and are cheating, which is itself a lie (and not of omission).
  • leef wrote: »

I can't prove that you can still cheat in MSF, i don't even play the game. I just think it's a rather bold claim to state that a game can prevent all cheating if they chose to devote adequate resources to the problem.

It is just hating from your side as he is completly correct about this issue with point 5. Travesty is not talking about all cheating but about this exact style of cheating which we know all about. All other games solved this issue except SWGOH (CG). CG just doesn´t care at all about it (and even about our opinion anymore) and they just stack our money and laugh to our faces... We all know about this issue for a long time and NOTHING happened to this day. Now someone published it and what they do? Punished him for their lack of responsibilies in this problem... And we all also know they have enough resources to solve it, they just don´t want to... They just prove it with this all announcments.

Maybe i'm just a hater, but i can't take anyone serious who thinks that the devs of a mobile game don't care about cheating and the prevention of cheating.
    Just out of curiousity, how exactly did MSF prevent cheating of this exact style?

You have to take all this people serious as you have proof in front of your face for more than three years here. (we are still talking about this exact style of cheating).

It is not possible to prevent it, but can stop the people from doing it with easiest reporting system (battle logs) it shows you how they beat your squad and you can report the cheater. Afterwards they can ban the person even with IP ban which is possible and will stop cheaters to play the game. (MSF did it also this way)

I was part of Innogames and we were giving bans to accounts according to these battle logs and if the person did it again we gave him IP ban which is 100% possible and the game got much cleaner thanks to it. The question is why CG doesn´t want to do it? (not why they don´t work on it as they had over three years of solving this issue) It took us one and half month to make this logs work and there was over 50mil. people playing the game. They used it also for their new and old games (over 350mil. active accounts) as they saw it working very well.

Okay, so they didn't actually prevent the cheating at all, they just made it easier to spot/report.
    i rest my case.

I don´t know if you ever played any game, assuming from your posts you didn´t. Otherwise you will know it is impossible to prevent cheating in any game. There is always way how to cheat especially with such a huge community around the game.

There are always two possibilities how to solve issue with cheaters (if you really want to):
    - fix the hole in your code
    - make tool to find cheaters making advantage with exact issue and block them
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

i rest my case.

I don´t know if you ever played any game, assuming from your posts you didn´t. Otherwise you will know it is impossible to prevent cheating in any game. There is always way how to cheat especially with such a huge community around the game.

There are always two possibilities how to solve issue with cheaters (if you really want to):

Are you just messing with me now? You called me out because i said it was a rather bold statement to claim that MSF prevented (this exact style of) cheating and now you're lecturing me about how it's impossible to prevent cheating in any game. i mean, whut?!
    Meanwhile we still don't know how common cheating actually is, which is really the only thing that matters given that there will always be cheaters. Personally i feel like this is more of a PR issue than a cheating issue. I say that based on my personal experience, which is very limited due to me not encountering a lot of players, and based on the wild accusations i see flying around. That's why i think at this moment the perception of rampant cheating going on in this game is actually hurting the game more than the actual cheating.
    I get mildly annoyed when i see players claiming they got cheated while it's highly unlikely that they actually were. On top of that, that players' experience is probably worse because he thinks he got cheated. It's a lose lose scenario all because of the idea that cheating is widespread, while there actually isn't any real indication that it actually is. All we know is that you can get away with cheating as long as you're not reported.
    Hopefully this explains where i'm comming from.
  • leef wrote: »

i rest my case.

Are you just messing with me now? You called me out because i said it was a rather bold statement to claim that MSF prevented (this exact style of) cheating and now you're lecturing me about how it's impossible to prevent cheating in any game. i mean, whut?!
    Meanwhile we still don't know how common cheating actually is, which is really the only thing that matters given that there will always be cheaters. Personally i feel like this is more of a PR issue than a cheating issue. I say that based on my personal experience, which is very limited due to me not encountering a lot of players, and based on the wild accusations i see flying around. That's why i think at this moment the perception of rampant cheating going on in this game is actually hurting the game more than the actual cheating.
    I get mildly annoyed when i see players claiming they got cheated while it's highly unlikely that they actually were. On top of that, that players' experience is probably worse because he thinks he got cheated. It's a lose lose scenario all because of the idea that cheating is widespread, while there actually isn't any real indication that it actually is. All we know is that you can get away with cheating as long as you're not reported.

As long as we can all get away with cheating everything is fine. Nothing to see here. Continue business as usual.

I really dont know why people are so upset. Some game you cant cheat, this one you can. Move along now.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member

i rest my case.

As long as we can all get away with cheating everything is fine. Nothing to see here. Continue business as usual.

I really dont know why people are so upset. Some game you cant cheat, this one you can. Move along now.

Which games can't be cheated in?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

i rest my case.

Which games can't be cheated in?

Games played on server side. Stuff like hearthstone, boom beach, etc etc...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Travesty wrote: »
    I think we're not keeping our collective eyes on the ball here.

Instead of auguring with each other and tediously parsing each other's words, or debating the appropriateness of the ban on 2 players, I'd suggest focusing on the following key points:

1. The videos showed it is still possible to cheat without detection unless someone reports a player.

2. Even if cheating is uncommon, it only takes a few dozen cheaters to affect a thousand players in GAC. BTW, the cheat for the game has been downloaded many, many, many times more than the few hundreds of players CG has said they banned.

3. Players will spend less or no money on the game if they perceive cheating is not adequately abated.

4. CG has made a conscious decision about how much resources to devote to anti-cheating over the last 4 years, and that amount has, demonstrably, not been enough.

5. Similar games, using the same game engine and code, have implemented measures to prevent the type of cheating that was demonstrated in the videos. It is entirely possible to prevent the cheating demonstrated if CG chooses to devote adequate resources to the problem.

6, SWGOH still makes millions of dollars per month, and has adequate resources to devote to this issue if they choose to.

What I and many others on this thread and over on that other popular social media site are saying is: CG, spend more time and effort fixing cheating.

If you think about 1 and 2, you will realize that 1 doesn't prove 2 is even possible.

He admittedly didnt win. It is possible that the tool they are developing, to help limit its scope and allow it to be more "effective", may only be looking at winning matches. So cheating and losing could be part of the reason he didnt get flagged by the system.

On point 4, since you have no information to back this up, you cannot come to that conclusion. Do you know how much they have invested? Do you know how many it has caught?

Point 5, please link to any reference of this being true. You are also referring to a game with a client side operation, right? Also do you mean to say prevent meaning 0% cheating or just reduced to a manageable number?

They have already stated that they are putting more into it. This recent situation doesnt prove anything about the validity of their statments. It also doesnt prove that anything they have done or are doing is not working better than before and making the environment better.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Instead of auguring with each other and tediously parsing each other's words, or debating the appropriateness of the ban on 2 players, I'd suggest focusing on the following key points:

1. The videos showed it is still possible to cheat without detection unless someone reports a player.

2. Even if cheating is uncommon, it only takes a few dozen cheaters to affect a thousand players in GAC. BTW, the cheat for the game has been downloaded many, many, many times more than the few hundreds of players CG has said they banned.

3. Players will spend less or no money on the game if they perceive cheating is not adequately abated.

4. CG has made a conscious decision about how much resources to devote to anti-cheating over the last 4 years, and that amount has, demonstrably, not been enough.

5. Similar games, using the same game engine and code, have implemented measures to prevent the type of cheating that was demonstrated in the videos. It is entirely possible to prevent the cheating demonstrated if CG chooses to devote adequate resources to the problem.

6, SWGOH still makes millions of dollars per month, and has adequate resources to devote to this issue if they choose to.

What I and many others on this thread and over on that other popular social media site are saying is: CG, spend more time and effort fixing cheating.

If you think about 1 and 2, you will realize that 1 doesn't prove 2 is even possible.

He admittedly didnt win. It is possible that the tool they are developing, to help limit its scope and allow it to be more "effective", may only be looking at winning matches. So cheating and losing could be part of the reason he didnt get flagged by the system.

On point 4, since you have no information to back this up, you cannot come to that conclusion. Do you know how much they have invested? Do you know how many it has caught?

Point 5, please link to any reference of this being true. You are also referring to a game with a client side operation, right? Also do you mean to say prevent meaning 0% cheating or just reduced to a manageable number?

They have already stated that they are putting more into it. This recent situation doesnt prove anything about the validity of their statments. It also doesnt prove that anything they have done or are doing is not working better than before and making the environment better.

Or proves that they have done anything at all tbh , kinda goes both ways, add a battle log, itll eliminate most of the guessing, pretty simple solution , will fix most of the issues. So in saying that how can anyone say they have done enough.
  • It s useless to spend money in this game if we can just cheat to win

My thoights.. well why spend money when everyone else is going to just cheat and best me.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

Or proves that they have done anything at all tbh , kinda goes both ways, add a battle log, itll eliminate most of the guessing, pretty simple solution , will fix most of the issues. So in saying that how can anyone say they have done enough.

I guess out of the all the mud that the thread created, I think the desire for a battle log is what most can agree on. I doubt it can eliminate cheating all together and may also generate problems of it's own. But it's certainly a good damage prevention measure that's also not work intensive (hopefully) for cg.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

We announced a series of efforts to root out cheaters prior to the launch of Grand Arena Championship:
    • Increased surveillance of leaderboard and battle data
    • A zero tolerance policy for those identified as cheaters
    • A new suite of data points and detection tools
    • Additional team member hours allocated to the detection and eradication efforts

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/211095/cheating-in-galaxy-of-heroes

They stated they have, I dont need to prove anything. If you dont believe them, then that is your issue.

A battle log will not eliminate anything, it puts the onus on a players knowledge of counters and could lead to an increase of reports when players who dont understand a counter and report it as cheating.

I'm not saying they shouldnt many feel it will help and they think that the benefits outweigh the loss to players who are better theory crafters, but that is just a bandaid and wont help as much as people think.

When did I say they did enough? When did they say that? I'm pretty sure everything they have been saying is that they are doing more and still working to make it better.

I didn’t win against anyone who tried. Because I lost a lot of matches, didn’t complete feats, and didn’t get many banners I didn’t progress very far and was eventually matched up against others who didn’t try, so I actually won a few matches just because my opponent didn’t even do any battles.

I didn’t win against anyone who tried. Because I lost a lot of matches, didn’t complete feats, and didn’t get many banners I didn’t progress very far and was eventually matched up against others who didn’t try, so I actually won a few matches just because my opponent didn’t even do any battles.

So cheating and getting away with it is confirmed. you can cheat and win and still evade the detection that CG put in place bringing us all full circle.

What now?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

So cheating and getting away with it is confirmed. you can cheat and win and still evade the detection that CG put in place bringing us all full circle.

What now?

winning battles is different than winning in this game mode.

but we dont know how it was designed. I'm just pointing out some simple ways that what was done wouldn't necessarily be something you would look for at every turn. this is a new system and probably started from a basis of most player facing efficiency.
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator

We announced a series of efforts to root out cheaters prior to the launch of Grand Arena Championship:
    • Additional team member hours allocated to the detection and eradication efforts

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/211095/cheating-in-galaxy-of-heroes

They stated they have, I dont need to prove anything. If you dont believe them, then that is your issue.

A battle log will not eliminate anything, it puts the onus on a players knowledge of counters and could lead to an increase of reports when players who dont understand a counter and report it as cheating.

I'm not saying they shouldnt many feel it will help and they think that the benefits outweigh the loss to players who are better theory crafters, but that is just a bandaid and wont help as much as people think.

When did I say they did enough? When did they say that? I'm pretty sure everything they have been saying is that they are doing more and still working to make it better.
    I think battle logs would make a huge difference:

1. It will let you catch cheaters
    2. Smarter cheaters will no longer use weak teams and will have to use stronger teams on offense to cheat with, leaving behind a weak defense (acts as deterrent) --> Even if you lose and not report the other player, you can still full clear or get a lot of banners
    3. Some cheaters would be afraid of getting caught and would stop cheating

Not the end all solution to cheating but it should reduce some number of cheating from happening and/or prevent opponents from steamrolling you and blocking you from getting many points / preventing you from clearing feats
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »

2. Smarter cheaters will no longer use weak teams and will have to use stronger teams on offense to cheat with, leaving behind a weak defense (acts as deterrent) --> Even if you lose and not report the other player, you can still full clear or get a lot of banners

Not the end all solution to cheating but it should reduce some number of cheating from happening and/or prevent opponents from steamrolling you and blocking you from getting many points / preventing you from clearing feats

I'm not saying it wont help, but i dont think it will be as ground breaking as many think.
  • NgH
    59 posts Member
    I confess that I don't fully understand how these interactions between phone and server work. When I initially set a team on defense in GAC or TW am I sending, so to speak, my team to the server? Or is everything on the server all the time and I just interface with it using my phone?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    NgH wrote: »
    I confess that I don't fully understand how these interactions between phone and server work. When I initially set a team on defense in GAC or TW am I sending, so to speak, my team to the server? Or is everything on the server all the time and I just interface with it using my phone?

Everything is on the server, our phones have a copy of some of that info and the program that runs the battles and all the surface that we see. when you enter a battle and when you are finished with a battle (and at other times in game) you have to connect with the server to pass certain information back and forth.
  • NgH
    59 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    In that case would it not be more likely that a team behaving unusually on defense is the result of the AI glitching in some way? Rather than being the result of cheating.

I'm not saying it wont help, but i dont think it will be as ground breaking as many think.

I just want a battle log to help me learn and improve my strategy
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    jimgaudet wrote: »

This is probably the biggest reason why people want to push logs now.
    The can't figure it out them self.

The knowledge they'd give would help everyone. This was a regular request long before the cheating. Doesn't have anything to do with ppl not being able to figure things out for themselves.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    jimgaudet wrote: »

This is probably the biggest reason why people want to push logs now.
    The can't figure it out them self.

and at the same the reason why some don't want a battle log. ;p
  • NgH wrote: »
    In that case would it not be more likely that a team behaving unusually on defense is the result of the AI glitching in some way? Rather than being the result of cheating.

exactly this, if something is happening that shouldnt on defence then its a bug / issue with the AI and defo not part of cheating as explained long ago

Listen again to his video. He did say he won some matches but purposely lost the round as a whole. If the tool they are developing, as you hypothethise, is only looking at winning matches it should have detected him. On the other hand, if by 'winning matches' you mean winning the round as a whole, I doubt the player base will be happy with CG only targeting cheating during GAC rounds and not daily arena matches and TWs.

On point 4, are you really saying I don't have information to back up the assertion that CG has spent a specific (I didn't claim how much) amount or resources on anti-cheat? Because that seems like a given, no matter if that amount is a little or a lot. My point is that, given that the video proves that you can use the cheat and win matches (again, he did say he won some individual matches but lost the match-up on purpose) without detection, that whatever resources they did devote to anti-cheating is insufficient.

On point 5 I'll refer you to mobilegamer and darthmicrotransactions videos (without linking them here, since that is a competitor's game). They go into details about what the devs there have implemented to prevent APK-style cheating. Whether it's 100% I can't say since I don't play those games but, without going into tedious details, it sounds like the exact same thing that this community is calling for (server checks against logs for every pvp match, etc.).

This is Myopic. Your battle log argument is silly that it will increase reports of cheating... wrongfully. It will give information necessary to report more cheating RIGHTFULLY. This is whole crux of the matter. The positive absolutely crushes the negative. You've come out time, and time again opposed to Battle Logs whereas the player base are absolutely screaming for it, because it's absolutely clear to us that the onus is ON US TO FIND CHEATERS.

We need more information. We need it now.
This discussion has been closed.