Cheating In Galaxy of Heroes [MEGA]

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Now i see why they told me to not say anything here, there are just haters. And now i see they were right. So saying good bye to you with your looser lifes hating everyone who says something constructive for solving issue with cheating.

Evoluza when you will make at least 5% of money i made we can talk if all your happiness is based on making/spending money. But honestly your life must be very poor if it is all about money.

The best part of it all is that you think you're saying something constructive, but you're just hating on ea/cg, all while calling others haters. haha

Obviously she can if she says it is on reddit... Learn to read leef before arguing.

Maybe i do need to learn to read. I must admit that i still don't know what you're talking about, so that's probably due to me not being able to read properly.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • This morning : 52 cantina battles (with cristal refresh), yes i spend money on this game but i think i will stop rapidly and i've only won 12 shards for Hera Syndulla . I don't talk about the cheated galactic war matchmaking too ....

I think there is not only players wo are cheating ...
  • Ultra
    11452 posts Moderator
    Slash3rR wrote: »
    This morning : 52 cantina battles (with cristal refresh), yes i spend money on this game but i think i will stop rapidly and i've only won 12 shards for Hera Syndulla . I don't talk about the cheated galactic war matchmaking too ....

1. Don’t spend extra crystals on Hera, she’s not worth it plus cantina farms are easier over time
    2. There is no unfair matchmaking in GW. It gets a lot easier as you progress further in the game. It’s not meant for early players to clear it
  • Ultra wrote: »
    This morning : 52 cantina battles (with cristal refresh), yes i spend money on this game but i think i will stop rapidly and i've only won 12 shards for Hera Syndulla . I don't talk about the cheated galactic war matchmaking too ....

1. Don’t spend extra crystals on Hera, she’s not worth it plus cantina farms are easier over time
    2. There is no unfair matchmaking in GW. It gets a lot easier as you progress further in the game. It’s not meant for early players to clear it

1 : But i need 200 shards for Hera and if i do only free cantina battles of the day, i will only won 2 or 3 shards per day . So at this rythm, i will have Hera in December 2025 :(

2. For galactic war, in the node 9, i fall against characters who have Zetas but anyone of my team have this Zetas so the match is quickly set ...

3. Thanks for your response :)
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited August 2019

12/52 is 23%. Expected rate over a large enough sample size to be relevant (bolded for emphasis) is 33%.

Also, if you want to get more than 2 or 3 shards a day, you have to spend crystals to refresh. It's the way this game is built.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Now i see why they told me to not say anything here, there are just haters. And now i see they were right. So saying good bye to you with your looser lifes hating everyone who says something constructive for solving issue with cheating.

Evoluza when you will make at least 5% of money i made we can talk if all your happiness is based on making/spending money. But honestly your life must be very poor if it is all about money.

If there is anyone here that isn’t being constructive, it’s you.

People here like to press others for proof because often they avoid the question or suddenly become hostile. It’s easy to do on the internet, and it usually means they don’t have anything to back up their complaints.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Travesty wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think we're not keeping our collective eyes on the ball here.

Instead of auguring with each other and tediously parsing each other's words, or debating the appropriateness of the ban on 2 players, I'd suggest focusing on the following key points:

1. The videos showed it is still possible to cheat without detection unless someone reports a player.

2. Even if cheating is uncommon, it only takes a few dozen cheaters to affect a thousand players in GAC. BTW, the cheat for the game has been downloaded many, many, many times more than the few hundreds of players CG has said they banned.

3. Players will spend less or no money on the game if they perceive cheating is not adequately abated.

4. CG has made a conscious decision about how much resources to devote to anti-cheating over the last 4 years, and that amount has, demonstrably, not been enough.

5. Similar games, using the same game engine and code, have implemented measures to prevent the type of cheating that was demonstrated in the videos. It is entirely possible to prevent the cheating demonstrated if CG chooses to devote adequate resources to the problem.

6, SWGOH still makes millions of dollars per month, and has adequate resources to devote to this issue if they choose to.

What I and many others on this thread and over on that other popular social media site are saying is: CG, spend more time and effort fixing cheating.

If you think about 1 and 2, you will realize that 1 doesn't prove 2 is even possible.

He admittedly didnt win. It is possible that the tool they are developing, to help limit its scope and allow it to be more "effective", may only be looking at winning matches. So cheating and losing could be part of the reason he didnt get flagged by the system.

On point 4, since you have no information to back this up, you cannot come to that conclusion. Do you know how much they have invested? Do you know how many it has caught?

Point 5, please link to any reference of this being true. You are also referring to a game with a client side operation, right? Also do you mean to say prevent meaning 0% cheating or just reduced to a manageable number?

They have already stated that they are putting more into it. This recent situation doesnt prove anything about the validity of their statments. It also doesnt prove that anything they have done or are doing is not working better than before and making the environment better.

Listen again to his video. He did say he won some matches but purposely lost the round as a whole. If the tool they are developing, as you hypothethise, is only looking at winning matches it should have detected him. On the other hand, if by 'winning matches' you mean winning the round as a whole, I doubt the player base will be happy with CG only targeting cheating during GAC rounds and not daily arena matches and TWs.

On point 4, are you really saying I don't have information to back up the assertion that CG has spent a specific (I didn't claim how much) amount or resources on anti-cheat? Because that seems like a given, no matter if that amount is a little or a lot. My point is that, given that the video proves that you can use the cheat and win matches (again, he did say he won some individual matches but lost the match-up on purpose) without detection, that whatever resources they did devote to anti-cheating is insufficient.

On point 5 I'll refer you to mobilegamer and darthmicrotransactions videos (without linking them here, since that is a competitor's game). They go into details about what the devs there have implemented to prevent APK-style cheating. Whether it's 100% I can't say since I don't play those games but, without going into tedious details, it sounds like the exact same thing that this community is calling for (server checks against logs for every pvp match, etc.).

winning matches when the opponent doesnt' do anything, is what he said. so again, not a strecth to think they woudln't flag a player in a match where they won due to the other player not playing. but just hypothesizing. so who knows. but again this scenario wouldn't be player facing and would be low hanging fruit to avoid.

you are saying its not enough, but have no data at all on how effective it has been. so what basis is there for it to not be enough?

you know those games are on the same engine and "code", and said they have prevented it, but you have no idea to what degree.... sounding like the same issue and being the same issue are 2 different things. you seem to be making another bold statement with anything to back it up.

As for the bolded part, I see a misunderstanding here. The point is not if a cheater wins a match due to the opponent not playing. The point is that he won single battles with using a cheating tool. And a good automatic anti-cheating tool should already recognize in that moment that something is wrong. At least, as a player and customer, that would be what I wish for.
  • TVF wrote: »

12/52 is 23%. Expected rate over a large enough sample size to be relevant (bolded for emphasis) is 33%.

Also, if you want to get more than 2 or 3 shards a day, you have to spend crystals to refresh. It's the way this game is built.

Ok , so i'm under the expected rate also. Ok, it's useless to spend cristals for this, i understand . For 23 %, i prefer keep my cristals and don't buy them anymore.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    I think we're not keeping our collective eyes on the ball here.

Instead of auguring with each other and tediously parsing each other's words, or debating the appropriateness of the ban on 2 players, I'd suggest focusing on the following key points:

1. The videos showed it is still possible to cheat without detection unless someone reports a player.

2. Even if cheating is uncommon, it only takes a few dozen cheaters to affect a thousand players in GAC. BTW, the cheat for the game has been downloaded many, many, many times more than the few hundreds of players CG has said they banned.

3. Players will spend less or no money on the game if they perceive cheating is not adequately abated.

4. CG has made a conscious decision about how much resources to devote to anti-cheating over the last 4 years, and that amount has, demonstrably, not been enough.

5. Similar games, using the same game engine and code, have implemented measures to prevent the type of cheating that was demonstrated in the videos. It is entirely possible to prevent the cheating demonstrated if CG chooses to devote adequate resources to the problem.

6, SWGOH still makes millions of dollars per month, and has adequate resources to devote to this issue if they choose to.

What I and many others on this thread and over on that other popular social media site are saying is: CG, spend more time and effort fixing cheating.

If you think about 1 and 2, you will realize that 1 doesn't prove 2 is even possible.

He admittedly didnt win. It is possible that the tool they are developing, to help limit its scope and allow it to be more "effective", may only be looking at winning matches. So cheating and losing could be part of the reason he didnt get flagged by the system.

On point 4, since you have no information to back this up, you cannot come to that conclusion. Do you know how much they have invested? Do you know how many it has caught?

Point 5, please link to any reference of this being true. You are also referring to a game with a client side operation, right? Also do you mean to say prevent meaning 0% cheating or just reduced to a manageable number?

They have already stated that they are putting more into it. This recent situation doesnt prove anything about the validity of their statments. It also doesnt prove that anything they have done or are doing is not working better than before and making the environment better.

Listen again to his video. He did say he won some matches but purposely lost the round as a whole. If the tool they are developing, as you hypothethise, is only looking at winning matches it should have detected him. On the other hand, if by 'winning matches' you mean winning the round as a whole, I doubt the player base will be happy with CG only targeting cheating during GAC rounds and not daily arena matches and TWs.

On point 4, are you really saying I don't have information to back up the assertion that CG has spent a specific (I didn't claim how much) amount or resources on anti-cheat? Because that seems like a given, no matter if that amount is a little or a lot. My point is that, given that the video proves that you can use the cheat and win matches (again, he did say he won some individual matches but lost the match-up on purpose) without detection, that whatever resources they did devote to anti-cheating is insufficient.

On point 5 I'll refer you to mobilegamer and darthmicrotransactions videos (without linking them here, since that is a competitor's game). They go into details about what the devs there have implemented to prevent APK-style cheating. Whether it's 100% I can't say since I don't play those games but, without going into tedious details, it sounds like the exact same thing that this community is calling for (server checks against logs for every pvp match, etc.).

winning matches when the opponent doesnt' do anything, is what he said. so again, not a strecth to think they woudln't flag a player in a match where they won due to the other player not playing. but just hypothesizing. so who knows. but again this scenario wouldn't be player facing and would be low hanging fruit to avoid.

you are saying its not enough, but have no data at all on how effective it has been. so what basis is there for it to not be enough?

you know those games are on the same engine and "code", and said they have prevented it, but you have no idea to what degree.... sounding like the same issue and being the same issue are 2 different things. you seem to be making another bold statement with anything to back it up.

As for the bolded part, I see a misunderstanding here. The point is not if a cheater wins a match due to the opponent not playing. The point is that he won single battles with using a cheating tool. And a good automatic anti-cheating tool should already recognize in that moment that something is wrong. At least, as a player and customer, that would be what I wish for.

Define good in this situation.

I would define it as a tool that has the largest player facing effect and the lowest processing overhead. Yes that is a crude measure but it is effective.

The client side cannot "detect" a cheat, in any meaningful way, there is someone carrying on a good post about this and why that doesn't work in this architecture.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/211382/a-technical-solution-to-cheat-detection-from-an-engineer#latest

That leaves server side.... if they wanted to run every battle on their end too to check things that would be a huge sink into the processing and would not be efficient.

What I was discussing was that to minimize that overhead you would eliminate things that are not as player facing, i.e.- someone who loses matches, battles won by opponents inaction, and some other possible solutions that allow the system to automate the most important aspects that effect everyone.

I don't think there is a single solution that keeps the current architecture and allows them to stop 100% of cheating, especially if you want it "as it's happening".
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Ok , so i'm under the expected rate also. Ok, it's useless to spend cristals for this, i understand . For 23 %, i prefer keep my cristals and don't buy them anymore.

"Over a large enough sample size."

52 is not large enough.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Franke
    116 posts Member

Got 2 Hera shards from around 20+ battles and same thing for another hwo tried to get her today...and Always when your one or 2 shards from lvling up its impossible getting it without crystal refresh. It is a clear pattern because it never pans out different.
  • Ok was wondering what context cheating was referring to and it seems battle aspects in ga.

No surprise as I was shocked to see the increase in ga participants. I personally rather not invest time in ga but with increased ga rewards it would make sense that hacks would be made.
  • Been almost 2 weeks and not a peep from cg. I just lined up 100 dollars for heroes of the storm and resubbing for wow. What Is taking cg so long to do anything besides sweeping crap under the rug.

Cg better unleash an amazing hero soon better then the vulture droid. Normally I would be allover that 200 dollars. But with cheating rampant and 0 things cg cares to talk about, also the sep ship has yet been released greatly drastically making the vulture droid look small potatoes when it cant even be properly used yet.

Honestly vulture droid is amazing but those 2 reasons are the reason I didnt bother with it, I am the one who spent hundreds on alpha to get my sep squad up and now have to hold up waiting for cg to try to stop hiding stuff from us.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Well Malak is returning and they addressed cheating in the announcement, they are looking at solutions. So that should put a stop to most large complaints for now.

But I know it won’t.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    Well Malak is returning and they addressed cheating in the announcement, they are looking at solutions. So that should put a stop to most large complaints for now.

But I know it won’t.

It wont cause they have still done nothing as of yet. All they have done is ban 2 people for informing the public this horrible thing existed. It's been 2 weeks and they have given us "trust us" "dont report on problems by forcing us to act, that makes us do our job and we will punish you with bans" i am grateful to those 2 who tried to fix this, mcdog and bulldog have done more to fix cheating then cg and it still is sooo frustrating.

Either release a super awesome toon or fix this giant issue, those are the only 2 that will get my wallet back open.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

But I know it won’t.

It wont cause they have still done nothing as of yet. All they have done is ban 2 people for informing the public this horrible thing existed. It's been 2 weeks and they have given us "trust us" "dont report on problems by forcing us to act, that makes us do our job and we will punish you with bans" i am grateful to those 2 who tried to fix this, mcdog and bulldog have done more to fix cheating then cg and it still is sooo frustrating.

Either release a super awesome toon or fix this giant issue, those are the only 2 that will get my wallet back open.

First of all, if you don’t trust them then why are you still spending? Why do you care about some great new toon? If you don’t trust the cheating issue, don’t spend.

Second, the problem here is not that CG hasn’t created a solution yet, but if they were even trying to prevent it at all. I have trust that they will follow through with this announcement that they are looking into solutions.
  • Great toon> my concern.. if the handmaiden from kotor 2 is released or.... a super droid commando shows up.. my willpower is gone and my wallet gets open. Of course if jedi anakin padawan or ki al mundi or.... ponds Is released.. bleh they are worse then the vulture droid.

Also I was shown this cheating after I spent alot on the alpha.. I havent spent a single dime these past couple of weeks even for the vulture droid I wanted.

They are only concerned with hiding the truth. This isnt a fix issue this Is a how long can we keep people blind.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Great toon> my concern.. if the handmaiden from kotor 2 is released or.... a super droid commando shows up.. my willpower is gone and my wallet gets open. Of course if jedi anakin padawan or ki al mundi or.... ponds Is released.. bleh they are worse then the vulture droid.

Also I was shown this cheating after I spent alot on the alpha.. I havent spent a single dime these past couple of weeks even for the vulture droid I wanted.

They are only concerned with hiding the truth. This isnt a fix issue this Is a how long can we keep people blind.

Prove it.

Also lol, if you don’t like something, protest with your money. I mean you do you, but it’s easy to protest with the power you do have.
  • Prove I will spend money on those amazing toons? They first got to release them first or I cant.

Lol but it's obvious by what they did. Evidence was shown about it and what was their first reaction? Was it "oh no we need to fix this." Or was it "first things first. Ban all accounts owned by those 2 people to show what happens when people show errors in our game.."

I mean the message was loud and clear their first priority was to hide the info can you disagree? Then they take away the massive posts and lock them here so its kept in a nice and tidy corner away from the masses, then they repeat reassuring slogans while actually not doing anything. It may be an ongoing manner but here is my problems.

1 barely mentioning it trying to keep.it a footnote and wait weeks for the anger to slowly fade.

2 punish those who put them in this situation, they needed an unban immediately, they did us players a huge service, the fact that it's gone on this long is beyond bull.

3 no attempt of solutions have been made thus far.

These 3 reasons 2 is my biggest issue here, they get punished for trying to solve a problem cg has ignored for so long, of course willpower only goes so far but from the looks of it gr toons are going to be the main focus.

While my padme could use a competent team to gear up I can and will wait as my willpower allows me to wait for that.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    No I meant prove why you think that they are only concerned with hiding the truth. They just said they are looking into solutions, and it hasn’t even been a week since this YouTube thing (I’m only pretty sure).

The main reason for banning them was because they released information on how to cheat to the public. They are trying to sweep methods of cheating under the rug, and that’s what you’re asking for right? I personally think it’s better when less people know how to cheat.
  • It is better but they did not show us how to cheat. Sure they showed us the mechanics on how easy it is but in no way did they put in the video the method on how it's possible. I saw the video and I still dont know how they got access to the God mode stuff.

The videos showed us cheating is possible that it's easy and that we need to watch out cause cg cant detect it. There are fixes and those 2 people are trying to get cg to actually try something. Its fealty like 2 weeks...... I dont know honestly maybe it's only been 10 days.

They reported the news and cg immediately had the news casters stripped gagged and tossed into the sea to drown for it. If that isnt covering up the truth I dont know what is.

I mean can you prove they are working on any fix? The "trust us" routine is getting a little old. We trusted you and you kept the cheat secret from us, people reveal it and you punish them? Yeah I want answers, and I want people calling it like it is, not small promises and a gag order and a threat to all who dare might reveal a problem with this game.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    My proof is the message where they said they are working on a fix.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Prove I will spend money on those amazing toons? They first got to release them first or I cant.

Lol but it's obvious by what they did. Evidence was shown about it and what was their first reaction? Was it "oh no we need to fix this." Or was it "first things first. Ban all accounts owned by those 2 people to show what happens when people show errors in our game.."

That's because it wasn't news. Not to CG, and not to anybody who had been paying attention for the last several years. They had already made multiple posts about what they were doing to combat cheating. Many people had already been banned for cheating before these videos. Of course their reaction wasn't "oh, thanks for telling us about this, we had no idea!" because that isn't true. They have long known exactly what is happening, they just haven't been able completely prevent it, and they will probably never be able to because of the nature of client-side battles. And characterizing hacks as "errors in our game" like it's some sort of bug is disingenuous at best.
  • Nihion wrote: »

Then my proof is their reaction to people posting videos on a subject. My proof has evidence. Yours is vague promises.

Yes this is a competition.
    Liath wrote: »
    Prove I will spend money on those amazing toons? They first got to release them first or I cant.

That's because it wasn't news. Not to CG, and not to anybody who had been paying attention for the last several years. They had already made multiple posts about what they were doing to combat cheating. Many people had already been banned for cheating before these videos. Of course their reaction wasn't "oh, thanks for telling us about this, we had no idea!" because that isn't true. They have long known exactly what is happening, they just haven't been able completely prevent it, and they will probably never be able to because of the nature of client-side battles. And characterizing hacks as "errors in our game" like it's some sort of bug is disingenuous at best.

Well first I ever heard about it. And they handled it all wrong. From the looks of it now their vague promises seem more like "ok we are going to try to fix it." If they known for years then why havent they been trying to fix it for that long. Where are any things. I mean I am panicking over 10 days of not doing anything substantial and you are telling me it's been years of not doing anything substantial?? Is that supposed to make me feel comfortable?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »

Then my proof is their reaction to people posting videos on a subject. My proof has evidence. Yours is vague promises.

Yes this is a competition.
    Liath wrote: »

Well first I ever heard about it. And they handled it all wrong. From the looks of it now their vague promises seem more like "ok we are going to try to fix it." If they known for years then why havent they been trying to fix it for that long. Where are any things. I mean I am panicking over 10 days of not doing anything substantial and you are telling me it's been years of not doing anything substantial?? Is that supposed to make me feel comfortable?

My response disappeared, but the main points are:
    1) Their words trump your interpretation of a video. If they don’t ever again address this previous statement, use their statement as evidence.
    2) Completely ending cheating is impossible but they could add a battle log to make detection from the player base much easier.
  • dcbfan wrote: »
    So, cheating will continue for now! This is why I wont be competing until it is actually fixed. CG is just looking at the money they are losing, instead of fixing the cheating problem. If they cant program battle logs into the game within a month. They need to get some new programmers. If Boeing can reprogram a whole fleet of planes in a month. I'm sure CG should be able to add battle logs in that time frame. I WAS 1 THAT CALLED FOR CARRIES FIRING AND NOW I THINK LUCAS NEEDS TO FIRE CG.

I agree on some levels... my wallet is held tightly for either special characters or for other games.. until this actually starts to get worked on.. this has gone on too long
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Spidee wrote: »
    Since CG has done nothing to help us find cheaters in game. I suggest everyone report whoever they are matched with in GAC for every match. Cg can sort through it and find the cheaters.

That makes no sense.

“Why can’t you find the cheaters? Here, I’ll make it harder for you.”
  • I think the key is to make it impossible to cheat. I have thought a lot about this, and came up with the following scheme:

1. When the player requests a battle, CG generates a "Random Number Generator" (RNG) seed value, which is stored in a database, and sent to the player. In addition, the player and opponent's character statistics are stored in the database.
    2. The player receives the key, and the battle is started. At the start of each character's turn, all random numbers are generated based on the RNG.
    3. The player makes a move (e.g. Jolee calls "Eh, You Do It" on Ezra). This is encoded as a number, e.g., Jolee 032 + Ability 012 + Ally Ezra 046 would be encoded as a turn identifier = "032012046".
    4. The turn identifier would be appended to a "Battle Log", and hashed with the original RNG seed to form the "Battle Hash".
    5. The new "Battle Hash" would be used as a new RNG seed value.
    6. The outcome of the turn on each character stats would sequentially be computed from the RNG. The opponents turn would be based on the RNG.
    7. The battle would proceed, repeating steps 3-6, until one team's character's health is zero, or time runs out, as usual.
    8. The final results are posted to the server, which are:
    - The Winning Team (e.g. "player" or "opponent")
    - The battle log of turn identifiers (e.g. "032012046\n037152000\n126352962\n\n")
    - The final "Battle Hash" (e.g. "sa$fd9807@asfd#9g0")
    9. The server uses the original RNG seed value and log of turn identifiers to recompute the battle. Since the RNG was seed based, the result of every single turn can be recomputed. This would require server-side resources; however, it should run super-fast as it is just math and would not require a visual representation of the battle.
    10. The server would verify that the winning team and the final "battle hash" match what was uploaded to the server; if so, the "Victory" or "Defeated" banner shows up on the player's device. If not, the banner shows up with "Flagged" or something similar, and the entire battle is flagged for review by CG.

One benefit of this scheme is that, if there is any suspicion of cheating in a match, the match's data can be reviewed. A full replay of the battle can be generated from the stored character statistics, battle log of turn identifiers, and final results.

I think the hash is important, as it is somewhat resource intensive, and could make brute-force/monte-carlo type attacks more difficult for serious hackers.

I'm sure someone smarter than me has come up with a better scheme, but this is the best I could come up with. I'm interested in your feedback!
This discussion has been closed.