Which is more important... the TOON or the MODS?

Prev1
I thought this would be a fun topic to make a poll about. Kinda like a “which came first... the chicken or the egg?” type thing.

I’m curious what you all think is more important... the toon (i.e. everything exclusive to that toon... the gear level, ability levels, star level etc.) or the mods that you put on the toons (i.e. you can move around mods and make a toon have higher speed, lower speed, more potency, tenacity, health, protection, etc.) ?

With certain events (most recently, the LS version of the Malak event) mods were a huge deciding factor whether you’d unlock him or not. I’m just curious what the playerbase opinion is on this.

So... What do you guys and gals out there think? :smiley:
Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ

Which is more important... the TOON or the MODS? 75 votes

TOON
56%
Mephisto_stylejawa7778Pariah_AnchoriteAycee1leefZAPWeequayBauglirPuddis95Philan81KillerSwan13BlackbeardpepeAntiFunnNova44theatomicpunthecarterologist958Maxx121312BanmeongYKMisfitNgH 42 votes
MODS
44%
SarcodinoStrubzphotonosBulldog1205Mr_SausageDar_PentharBlauwKyJoe_CoolWarGuy101GrimstonedToxicFishHarukinotakoVeserion1wildirishCunningLinguistGionidousThessaodai145Sparkle361JarvindDaPowerfulJedi 33 votes

Replies

• MODS
    Mods make the toon e.g speed...
  • It's a sliding scale

Can't beat DR with Jawas even with god mods.
  • MODS
    That depends largely on the team you are talking about. In general, I’d rather have good mods than good characters because mods transcend the metas. They will most likely always be valuable, and you can switch them from team to team.

But there are certainly some squads and some metas where mods aren’t that vital. JKR was a perfect example. You could easily win mirror matches with inferior mods. That’s not really the case with Darth Revan.
  • MODS
    Woodroward wrote: »
    It's a sliding scale

Can't beat DR with Jawas even with god mods.

^ True. Exactly why I made a poll about it.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    If they took away mods today, we could still play the game with modless toons, but we couldn’t play the game if they took toons away.

Hense, Toons are more important than mods.
    You’re proving the chicken and egg comment which is silly because it makes no sense. You couldn’t play the game without characters yes. You couldn’t have chickens if they weren’t born from eggs by that theory.

Anyways eggs existed before chickens did so silly analogy. And characters also existed before the mods were in the game. So also bad example.
    Mods are important in mirror matches and in squad arena above all else.

Abilities matter over mods and that’s just a fact. Even speed matters nothing if the ability doesn’t want it. And speed is the king of mods. Mods are just expansion room for abilities and characters. They are always secondary. Yes they are very important. But they are dependant on characters. So characters win. There is no atheism without theism. So religion wins.
  • Stick wrote: »
    If they took away mods today, we could still play the game with modless toons, but we couldn’t play the game if they took toons away.

You’re proving the chicken and egg comment which is silly because it makes no sense. You couldn’t play the game without characters yes. You couldn’t have chickens if they weren’t born from eggs by that theory.

Anyways eggs existed before chickens did so silly analogy. And characters also existed before the mods were in the game. So also bad example.
    Mods are important in mirror matches and in squad arena above all else.

Abilities matter over mods and that’s just a fact. Even speed matters nothing if the ability doesn’t want it. And speed is the king of mods. Mods are just expansion room for abilities and characters. They are always secondary. Yes they are very important. But they are dependant on characters. So characters win. There is no atheism without theism. So religion wins.

Actually, the chicken and the egg question is a hidden question. It is asking if you believe in Evolution or Creationism. It's not silly. It's a way to find out where someone stands without asking them directly.
  • Stick wrote: »

You’re proving the chicken and egg comment which is silly because it makes no sense. You There is no atheism without theism. So religion wins.

Lets not go there today.
  • MODS

^ Also true.
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    The theism atheism comment was just an example of one not existing without the other - using “a” as a prefix means the opposite of the word that follows. Pretty simple , Not a stance at all. Just a silly way of saying that mods don’t exist without the abilities of characters.

Also I have no idea why I quoted @ZAP
    I wasn’t trying to respond to you , just the original post. I must have hit it by accident. L
  • MODS
    swgohfan29 wrote: »
    Stick wrote: »

You’re proving the chicken and egg comment which is silly because it makes no sense. You There is no atheism without theism. So religion wins.

Lets not go there today.

^ Exactly. Can we get back on topic guys? Thank you.
  • TOON
    Darth Malak with no mods can beat a CUP with god mods so surely character is more important?
  • TOON
    Bastilla with no mods is >>> 300 speed Eeth Koth
  • I would vote for "CHARACTER" or "HERO" but I just can't vote for "TOON." ;)
    The hero's kit is what makes it great, that's why the players try so hard to get the latest and greatest legendaries. Yeah mods are important too blah blah but the character is the primary concern.
  • MODS
    I would vote for "CHARACTER" or "HERO" but I just can't vote for "TOON." ;)
    The hero's kit is what makes it great, that's why the players try so hard to get the latest and greatest legendaries. Yeah mods are important too blah blah but the character is the primary concern.

Lol. And true. ;)
  • TOON
    The main reason why I started playing this game was the opportunity to play with some of my favourite characters from the Star Wars universe. Mods are important to make them viable, sure. But the collecting part is still more important to me long-term than keeping up with mods which depend on luck.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    MODS
    z7qEvCr.png

Up to a point, the character obviously matters; a triple zeta'd Darth Revan is still useless at gear 7. Once you get gear out of the way though, it's all about dem mods.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    TOON
    Toons.

Reasons.

Edit: I would like mods a heck of a lot more if there was more flexibility in building rather than randomly waiting for better speed. As it stands, mods are gear with a **** factor of acquisition.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    New pole idea: Which is more important to have? Your heart or your lungs?

• TOON
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    The main reason why I started playing this game was the opportunity to play with some of my favourite characters from the Star Wars universe. Mods are important to make them viable, sure. But the collecting part is still more important to me long-term than keeping up with mods which depend on luck.

Exactly. It's not called SWGOM.
    Lots of good discussion though, not quite popcorn worthy but enjoyable nevertheless.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • MODS
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    New pole idea: Which is more important to have? Your heart or your lungs?

Lol 😂
    CadoaBane wrote: »

Exactly. It's not called SWGOM.
    Lots of good discussion though, not quite popcorn worthy but enjoyable nevertheless.

Thanks
  • TOON
    Put your +140 speed set on Ugnaught and tell me how it goes.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

I inflicted defense down on a droid, but I did it fast!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MODS
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

I got a good chuckle out of that I will admit. ;)
  • TOON
    Mods take more effort and are harder to attain. You're also more commonly disappointed with mods as 4 speed upgrades is less likely than a single shard for any one character.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • MightyWizard
    872 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Both I guess, and it varies depending on the toon and the role you've chosen for it. My g13 Dooku is a good example. With random mods he's a nuisance, with the right mods he's an absolute beast. However those same mods wouldn't do **** if his base kit and stats weren't good enough.
  • MODS
    Both I guess, and it varies depending on the toon and the role you've chosen for it. My g13 Dooku is a good example. With random mods he's a nuisance, with the right mods he's an absolute beast. However those same mods wouldn't do if his base kit and stats weren't good enough.

^ True.
  • TOON
    Mods are really confusing on one hand and not confusing on the other it's just a not confusing confused concept
    This is... SPARTAAAAAAA