GEOTB, how I hate you? Let me count the ways..

Prev1
DuneSeaFarmer
3525 posts Member
edited August 2019
Pretty much sums it up. I enjoy nothing about it. Period. So why do we run it? To grab the rewards. We join, deploy, leave. Periodically we (myself, officers) check to see if we have reached a star, lock node if we have, open other, rinse repeat. We alternate between GEO and Normal. We enjoy Normal, we endure GEO. Like listening to a family member sing that is tone deaf. You smile and get through it. But I see GEOTB as an EA fundraiser, it's just a push to increase revenues and make whales happy. Will I scramble to build GEOTB teams? Nope. Couldn't care less. I will continue to polish teams for HSTR. Most that know me here know I never chase the meta, I'll get there or not in my own time. I play other games as well, I know you always need a backup plan or two. GEOTB Get EveryOne To Buy someting.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    The super duper Uber strong tenacity is what kills it for me.....well, that and clone sarg hitting for 60k+ AOE’s.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    The super duper Uber strong tenacity is what kills it for me.....well, that and clone sarg hitting for 60k+ AOE’s.

And the choreographed way they take down NS so no revives. Yeah... ain't it fun.
  • Personally I'd pick Geo TB any day over the full auto battles of both Hoth TBs. Not all game content is equally enjoyable for all GP tiers.
  • They need a filter to scan your roster, and deny admittance. It would save a lot of painful failures.
  • Our first 2 attempts were brutal (11* and 12*). I thought it would be the end of our guild. But we changed our approach, and we are on track for 16* this time. Several got close to beating Acklay, and today will be the first attempts for Wat shards. It’s tough to watch an entire squad get decimated with one AOE. However, I felt the same when the Sith raid launched. We figured out a strategy, built up teams, and made progress as a guild. For me, it’s fun when enough of the guild are working toward improvement (with minimal dead weight at the bottom of the roster)
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member
    They need a filter to scan your roster, and deny admittance. It would save a lot of painful failures.

They already limit entry by guild GP. Beyond that it's on each guild to choose the optimal path for that guild. No difference from HSTR. If your guild isn't ready, go back to a lower tier and work on your teams until you are ready.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • If you are struggling and unhappy with Geo TB then stick to running Hoth TBs. You'll be happier and get more loot. The only thing you will miss out on is Negotiator which will take an eternity to acquire anyway if you only do one low-star Geo TB a month.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    As you’ve repeatedly shown, you and your guild aren’t ready for GeoTB so running it will not be an enjoyable experience
  • I enjoy GeoTB much more than boring old Hoth, but I have to say that the ridiculously high tenacity on Geonosis kinda puts a damper on the fun for me. That's my only complaint on this subject.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Ultra wrote: »
    As you’ve repeatedly shown, you and your guild aren’t ready for GeoTB so running it will not be an enjoyable experience

Yep, wallets firmly closed.. lol I wonder if the devs are bothered by players only doing as many do, and only deploy and walk away? Lot of work presumably went into creating this, so it follows it succeeding or not would be of interest to them from a creation stand point?
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited August 2019

Yep, wallets firmly closed.. lol I wonder if the devs are bothered by players only doing as many do, and only deploy and walk away? Lot of work presumably went into creating this, so it follows it succeeding or not would be of interest to them from a creation stand point?
    There might be fewer guilds doing that than those who score 24+ stars (I'd probably go as far as 28+). It does not seem farfetched to believe that they care more about the second group.
    Just because you are putting a minimal effort into a game mode that is obviously out of your league does not mean that the devs failed to bring new content that generally keeps players engaged.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited August 2019

There might be fewer guilds doing that than those who score 24+ stars (I'd probably go as far as 28+). It does not seem farfetched to believe that they care more about the second group.
    Just because you are putting a minimal effort into a game mode that is obviously out of your league does not mean that the devs failed to bring new content that generally keeps players engaged.

And it doesn't mean they succeeded either. This thread is merely a way to sing it's praises or complain, either are encouraged on the forums as long as they are not personal attacks or offensive. Sooooo post away! I'm off to ride a dragon :)
    rjo2pvpcu13e.png
  • Ultra wrote: »

If you and your guild’s wallets are firmly closed, I suspect they won’t be interested at all, tbh.

Seriously though, my personal yardstick for when a guild should or shouldn’t be doing GeoTB is this:

If a guild can’t achieve at least 1⭐️ in all territories in phases 1-3 at the first time of asking, they probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Not achieving a star in either middle or bottom of phase 4 is a different matter, given how insanely difficult the combats are.
  • I feel I would enjoy geo tb more if it was the 4 days not 6, but that's another conversation.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    We have 9* this time up from our previous 8 last time. And the "get good" is the elitest cry in every game I have played. Those that can, make fun of those that cannot. The issue is, GEO IS BORING. Difficulty does not equate to enjoyment. If this is the way future additions will be, then I hope the new game they are squeezing this one dry to fund, is built on a different revenue mechanic, disrupt is tired and boring.

And on that note, I'm out. Have great Sunday everyone.
  • LendersQuiz
    1161 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I have six reasons why I dislike the GeoTB on top of all the reasons everyone above has already stated.

1) Its easier to earn Commander Leia & Imperial Probe droid shards than spending GET2 currency on them. Negotiator vs Probe droid, hmmmmmm, let me think on that one.
    2) Bounty Hunter Quest 3/7, Win 12 Battles with IG-88 in Territory Battles (Only works with Hoth DS TB, does not work with DS Geo TB). CG is aware of this problem since the beginning and has not yet fixed it.
    3) Fulcrum Quest 3/4, Defeat Hoth Rebel Assault phase 6 Rogue One mission (only available Hoth LS TB)
    4) Achievement, The Frozen Rebellion - Earn 45 Stars in a single Hoth LS TB map. Can't be done in a Geo Map. Duh!
    5) Achievement, The Frozen Empire - Earn 48 Stars in a single Hoth DS TB map. Can't be done in a Geo Map. Duh!
    6) Bounty Hunter Quest 1/7 - Defeat 50 Wampas with Boba Fett present (Only reliable place found for Wampas is the Hoth DS TB).

Yes, I know, all are optional, rewards are lackluster etc.....tell that to my mild case of OCD. :disappointed:
  • We have 9* this time up from our previous 8 last time. And the "get good" is the elitest cry in every game I have played. Those that can, make fun of those that cannot. The issue is, GEO IS BORING. Difficulty does not equate to enjoyment. If this is the way future additions will be, then I hope the new game they are squeezing this one dry to fund, is built on a different revenue mechanic, disrupt is tired and boring.

And on that note, I'm out. Have great Sunday everyone.

But difficulty does equate to suitability. I enjoy GeoTB. Our guild is 215M GP, we got 26⭐️ This time and will get 27 next.

If something isn’t fun and there’s an alternative, might be best to choose the other option.
  • I have six reasons why I dislike the GeoTB on top of all the reasons everyone above has already stated.

1) Its easier to earn Commander Leia & Imperial Probe droid shards than spending GET2 currency on them. Negotiator vs Probe droid, hmmmmmm, let me think on that one.
    2) Bounty Hunter Quest 3/7, Win 12 Battles with IG-88 in Territory Battles (Only works with Hoth DS TB, does not work with DS Geo TB). CG is aware of this problem since the beginning and has not yet fixed it.
    3) Fulcrum Quest 3/4, Defeat Hoth Rebel Assault phase 6 Rogue One mission (only available Hoth LS TB)
    4) Achievement, The Frozen Rebellion - Earn 45 Stars in a single Hoth LS TB map. Can't be done in a Geo Map. Duh!
    5) Achievement, The Frozen Empire - Earn 48 Stars in a single Hoth DS TB map. Can't be done in a Geo Map. Duh!
    6) Bounty Hunter Quest 1/7 - Defeat 50 Wampas with Boba Fett present (Only reliable place found for Wampas is the Hoth DS TB).

Yes, I know, all are optional, rewards are lackluster etc.....tell that to my mild case of OCD. :disappointed:

No doubt the answer some will give is change guilds. The Elitest attitude in games like this is really sad. #playersmatternotthegame
  • Doesn't matter to me.
    Sure it's hard and stupid at times, but everyone is in the same boat and it's hard for a reason. I'm fine getting it maxed in half a year or more. I don't expect to get anything easy or unlocked on first day, so good luck to you my good sir.
  • The main reason i hate it, is that people are leaving for stronger guilds because of it
  • The main reason i hate it, is that people are leaving for stronger guilds because of it

Just like the Heroic Sith Raid. Deja vu, right? :smirk:
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I hate it and love it at the same time. It can be extremely frustrating, but that's also what makes it so engaging.

It's also nice to pay attention and celebrate small victories like seeing guildies get 4/4 on difficult missions. I like to call those out in chat to acknowledge the players, especially the ones who aren't necessarily the strongest.

It is hard, nearly futile at times, but bringing your guild together in a positive way to set small obtainable goals and celebrating accomplishments is the best approach. It's all about attitude.
  • KyJoe_Cool wrote: »
    The main reason i hate it, is that people are leaving for stronger guilds because of it

Actually, we didnt have anyone (important) leave wheb we struggled with hSith
    The main reason i hate it, is that people are leaving for stronger guilds because of it

Good for you all then. You’re guild would be the anomaly. I experienced it personally in a prior guild. As did most from what I’ve seen and heard.
    KyJoe_Cool wrote: »

Good for you all then. You’re guild would be the anomaly. I experienced it personally in a prior guild. As did most from what I’ve seen and heard.

People leaving guilds for stronger ones. That would've been a nice touch. The guild I was a part of imploded. Badly. I spent several months in exile. The nice thing was I made some cool new friends because of it.
  • TVF
    36519 posts Member

We lost a couple that were impatient. We replaced them and moved on, and we're better off for it. I could have moved on myself but I stuck it out because I liked my guild and I knew we'd get there sooner rather than later anyway. For us new content just showed who was a guildmate and who was a merc.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Pretty much sums it up.

that's an very odd way to start a post.
    Save water, drink champagne!

People leaving guilds for stronger ones. That would've been a nice touch. The guild I was a part of imploded. Badly. I spent several months in exile. The nice thing was I made some cool new friends because of it.

Yep. I hear ya. I had a similar experience myself.
    TVF wrote: »

We lost a couple that were impatient. We replaced them and moved on, and we're better off for it. I could have moved on myself but I stuck it out because I liked my guild and I knew we'd get there sooner rather than later anyway. For us new content just showed who was a guildmate and who was a merc.

Exactly. I’m in it for the long haul too. I’ve been with my current guild for over a year now and I love it.
  • corranhorn78
    139 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    I’m in a strong guild and it’s ridiculousness is killing what joy is left in this game. Used to be Lose TW? no worries, go lay waste to TB and earn some GET. Now it’s just soul crushing joyless work. I can’t buy a win in ships now. I just deploy and platoon. hoth dstb was like this originally and then they balanced it. Where’s the balance? come on y’all. you’re killing the game and your cash cow
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    I'm off to ride a dragon :)
    rjo2pvpcu13e.png

That's no dragon, it's a skyscale. Close, but no dragon. Don't try to fool me. 😁

BTT: I's getting better over time as always. You learn the ways to go, you gear the units you use. And now with the new Relics for G13 toons it will even get easier. So stay focussed. Never retreat, never surrender!
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn