Relic Amplifiers, The Gear System & Our Next Update [MEGA]

Prev13456716
Sunnie1978
2937 posts Moderator
DEV POST
CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

From our Feature Producer CG_154M:

Hi Holotable Heroes,

In a few weeks, with the introduction of our next progression system – Relic Amplifiers – we are “closing off” additional gear tiers for all characters for the foreseeable future, after they reach G13. Instead, gear and future gear materials will be used to improve a character’s Relic. We will also be kicking off a new round of changes intended to make it easier for players to reach higher gear tiers and access the Relics system. (More on how this is going to work in a future post!)

The next time you enter the Character Collection view on a G13 character, after the update, here’s what you’re going to see:
28KylZB.jpg
Example of the new character screen once you reach G13

We believe this is a big change for the game, for us, and for you, the players. We’ve been considering this change for some time. The Gear progression system has been one of the biggest parts of perfecting your collection of characters in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (and a very regular point of vocal frustration). Gear has given us a lot of flexibility across releases, mainly to change and rebalance the power and utility of a large number of characters, but also to adapt to the game changing (new raids, the territory battles, etc). And while the current gear system has offered tremendous flexibility, it’s starting to show its age as a marker of status, power, and aspiration in Galaxy of Heroes. In freshening up the game’s progression systems, we hope we can take concepts and routines familiar to longtime players and put a new spin on them. We also have some long-term plans on how to make this system even more exciting to players, and more sustainable for us to update and build on, that we’ll talk more about later this year.

Finally, we’re really excited for the opportunity to make iconic items from Star Wars feel much more integrated into your character progression. As mentioned in the Road Ahead, the next progression system will be denoted by unique iconic weapons and items for every single character in your collection. Our goal is for the process of reaching G13 and unlocking this unique item to feel like a much more satisfying way of spending your time - perfecting your characters, rather than just adding another generic piece of gear.

nJDAc5z.png
Portrait frames will change to match your alignment once you gain access to that character’s Relic Amplifier.

We’ll talk more about Relic Amplifiers, their functionality & stat space, and how you upgrade them, in a series of follow-up posts. As with the introduction of Mod slicing last year and the rollout of Grand Arena / GAC, we will be providing a lot of context (and a lot of words) outlining our goals and getting a better sense of the feedback and needs of longtime players. Thanks for reading!

DEV POST

Replies

• Rezalder
    63 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Adding grind is not a substitute for adding content. Instead of a raid or the new cap ships we desperately need or anything actually new, you just add an expensive additional gear grind that offers the opportunity to spend a few hundred dollars to get back to the same place you were the day before the update. Thank you for finally making it easy for me to end my expensive relationship with this game.
    Post edited by Rezalder on
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    But I want an oompa loompa...errr, info on easier gear progress now!
  • I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Glad to hear that there will be no more gear tiers. Waiting to see how the relics turn out...
  • The new portrait frames look amazing
    Rezalder wrote: »
    So for those of us that have spent literally thousands getting to where we’re at...you’re going to make it easier for everyone to catch up and start us on a new track?

It's not that different to new stores coming around that make it easier to catch up
    While newer players are pushing to 13 you'll already be working through your iconic gear so your paid advantage could still be safe
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    edited August 2019
    >g13 requirement

immediate dislike

Sounds like the gear progression repackaged under a different name and calling it fresh. Yes, toon gear tier won't increase but you are still grinding gear for that toon's relic and it sounds like further updates would introduce new gear tiers for the relic

Only thing I liked was the portrait updates and the new user interface once you reach g13.

Hopefully they do something fun and innovative with relic amplifiers rather than stat boosts

EDIT: On reflection its not that bad since there is no g14 and beyond as far as the future goes
  • XiXiS
    48 posts Member
    So far so good to me. I hope it won’t go downhill.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Rezalder wrote: »
    So for those of us that have spent literally thousands getting to where we’re at...you’re going to make it easier for everyone to catch up and start us on a new track?

They introduced g12+ pieces in fleet nodes and reduced the energy to make it easier for everyone to catch up. It is still time consuming to farm the pieces from fleet nodes and everyone isn't sitting at g12+. How easy it will be remains to be seen
  • Bartek
    116 posts Member
    This looks reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllyyy good! <3

Only remember what the wise man said in the Read Ahead:
    CG_TopHat wrote:
    what if these items not only granted you immense character power, including potentially brand-new abilities, but if they were also enhanced using the massive quantities of accumulated unspent gear and materials that longtime players have piled up over years of collecting and playing?

Can't wait!
  • I have to admit, it seems a bit soon for this, but we'll see what happens
  • Rezalder wrote: »

So us newbies who spent thousands catching up to f2p get to fall farther behind them. Everybody loses but the long time whales....
    How is this any different than releasing characters to nodes/stores to farm? Or offering raid drop gear in a store? This game has never had a true paywall (read: you HAVE to purchase something to obtain it). You pay for an advantage for an amount of time, and then it opens up for everyone to get it.
  • botabu
    246 posts Member
    So much for that “sense of pride and accomplishment” for actually finishing a character. This is getting a bit ridiculous, and prohibitively expensive to continue. The pay wall that is kryo-tech is already so over-the-top ridiculous, that when you actually finish a character gear 13 you feel like you just ran a marathon. Now you are not done? Unreal. I think I would respect you better and actually feel better about it if you just said what it is, a way for you to increase revenue.

Fear not, there will always be new ways to p2w.
  • I think I speak for everyone here but CG, it's TOO SOON.

Sorry, but you don't speak for everyone.
  • So gear is being replaced with more different gear? Nothing to see here folks...
  • HK22
    644 posts Member
    So individualized Gear 14?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    No thanks.
  • Isn't this just rebranding G14 under another name? How exactly is this gonna be any different from the standard gear cycle?
  • botabu wrote: »
    So much for that “sense of pride and accomplishment” for actually finishing a character. This is getting a bit ridiculous, and prohibitively expensive to continue. The pay wall that is kryo-tech is already so over-the-top ridiculous, that when you actually finish a character gear 13 you feel like you just ran a marathon. Now you are not done? Unreal. I think I would respect you better and actually feel better about it if you just said what it is, a way for you to increase revenue.

Done? What is Done? The concept of Done went out the window when they introduced mods. Mods are never Done.
    To early to really get bent out of shape over this. It's nice to get a little more introduction to the idea. The g13 requirement seems an appropriate gate to Relics.
  • Docx
    94 posts Member
    Each Relic can be easily unlocked via 250 pieces of each Kyrotech Salvage, after that you can power it up with old gear in which you have hundreds if not thousands after an additional 150 of each kyrotechs are used to turn on the relic. At 50% power, the relic can be powered to 100% for only 150 total additional kyrotech pieces OF YOUR CHOICE! Kyrotech Relic Bundles are now available for 1 for 99.99 and 3 for 299.99 starting Labor Day Weekend
  • It's gonna need gear to unlock and increase so it's not any different than a new gear tier. Probably requires 1000 kyros per toon though
  • Too soon!!!! Way to soon ... maybe in the next 6 months or so ... yeah ...
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    BeralCator wrote: »
    So gear is being replaced with more different gear? Nothing to see here folks...

Not really, this is tailor-made for each character and can provide more than just stat boosts. This has potential to shake up everything and basically rebalance the whole game, which would be very hard to do with gear alone.
  • This would be far more interesting if it were concurrent with the current gear system rather than a linear extension once you get to G13. Figuring out how the various bonuses interact and how to best divide focus and resources for each character would actually be stimulating; as is, this is just more mindless collecting/hoarding for the small percentage of characters one has at G13, but with a nice little picture in the bottom left corner of the screen.

I feel like I'm at a Taco Bell, where ever new menu item is just a slightly reformatted combination of ground beef, cheese, tortilla, salsa, and sour cream.

"We have spent literally thousands getting to where we're at... therefore we demand the devs allow the game to stagnate and die in order to protect our investment."
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I like the sound of this. I have been wondering if this is the key to what will make territory battles in reach of completing. Currently max gear 13 meta teams can't even get to wave 4 on the final day of TB.
  • Seems like a lot of unused space on the screen, presumably for shrinking down all the useful information you might actually want to see. Spare a thought to those people that don't have perfect eyesight and don't make everything so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see it on your phone.

You cant play what you cant see.
This discussion has been closed.