Relic Amplifiers, The Gear System & Our Next Update [MEGA]

Replies

• Nauros wrote: »
    BeralCator wrote: »
    So gear is being replaced with more different gear? Nothing to see here folks...

Not really, this is tailor-made for each character and can provide more than just stat boosts. This has potential to shake up everything and basically rebalance the whole game, which would be very hard to do with gear alone.

Then why gate it at G13 (beyond the obvious reason of $$)? If the intention is to address shortcomings and rebalance characters, it's counterproductive to bury it so far in the endgame. If the relic (vibro-ax?) actually makes Gamorrean Guard good, but one can't access it without taking him to G13, then it's just some sort of vanity content for krakens...
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    So gear is being replaced with more different gear? Nothing to see here folks...

Not really, this is tailor-made for each character and can provide more than just stat boosts. This has potential to shake up everything and basically rebalance the whole game, which would be very hard to do with gear alone.

Then why gate it at G13 (beyond the obvious reason of $$)? If the intention is to address shortcomings and rebalance characters, it's counterproductive to bury it so far in the endgame. If the relic (vibro-ax?) actually makes Gamorrean Guard good, but one can't access it without taking him to G13, then it's just some sort of vanity content for krakens...

Yeah, gating it behind G13 is a stinker. Though on the other hand, you would want the good characters at G13 anyway, so it's just a matter of what you do first.
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

We will also be kicking off a new round of changes intended to make it easier for players to reach higher gear tiers and access the Relics system. (More on how this is going to work in a future post!)

Ok so my initial question is: Should we stop gearing and wait for this update since it will be easier to gear characters later? I don't want to waste crystals and gear pieces on a commodity that is going to be cheaper in a week or two?
  • stonedonkey
    16 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    What does this mean:

"Portrait frames will change to match your alignment once you gain access to that character’s Relic Amplifier."

Will different gear change a character IE: Bastilla and Bastilla fallen in the future could be the same character, just depends on what relic you equip?

Actually I guess it will just turn the color of your alignment.. over thought it.
  • Whazn
    262 posts Member
    cly6huxnndyt.png
    @CG_SBCrumb so I know I just made a quick sloppy mobile phone edit but would it be possible to have relevant stats added to the screen? The other side could list offense #s and crit %s.
  • No more gear tiers for the foreseeable future? Cool...

The items are locked behind g13. As we knew they would.

Hordes of unusable gear for the long time player that accumulated them. I have such a bad feeling about this. Especially since gear has been their bread and butter for so long. Now they are saying this will be the new thing.

Gear tiers are a mess, for sure. I’m glad that some type of change is coming to them. But that change is just ending it? I don’t see it tbh. As someone that has been playing since almost the beginning I’m sure I’ll see a message in a year or two saying how they haven’t updated a gear tier in a year or two.

As someone with a lot of accumulated useless gear I have a feeling that they will run out quick. Also highly needed gear I’m sure will be needed to make these items more effective/useable. So sure gear more readily available but we will need them twice.

A new toon will require gear 13 maybe 1-2 zetas and now their highlighted iconic item. It seems like red stars but for gear instead of shards. Maybe that’s better, idk.

As with all new things introduced we have to just wait and see. Maybe a fresh start with something new is the best way. Yet, I remain highly skeptical.

TLDR- Wait and see :)
  • Aussiepump
    110 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    but also to adapt to the game changing (new raids, the territory battles, etc). And while the current gear system has offered tremendous flexibility, it’s starting to show its age

Sorry, where are these new raids haha
  • Aussiepump
    110 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Doubled up
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Aussiepump wrote: »
    but also to adapt to the game changing (new raids, the territory battles, etc). And while the current gear system has offered tremendous flexibility, it’s starting to show its age

Sorry, where are these new raids haha
    Actually, a new raid (including ships!) was mentioned during a Q&A. It's just too early in the development now.
    Also, you are missing a / in one quote tag
  • if only we could get rid of mods :(

Yeah, gating it behind G13 is a stinker. Though on the other hand, you would want the good characters at G13 anyway, so it's just a matter of what you do first.

Unlocking the relic at, say, G11 and maintaining the current rate of progression for G12/13 gear would be more effective and would protect the P2W investments made recently in acquiring G12/13 pieces.

Gating it behind G13, we're just going to see everyone upgrading the same handful of (already meta) characters because we already have them at G13, while large portions of the new content will go unused and unexplored. This seems like a missed opportunity to me. If I want to invest my resources in URoRRuR'R'R's gaffi stick because I think it's cool, I should be able to do that without having to gear him up.
  • X3ina
    108 posts Member
    Can we see at least 1 new relic gearpiece, and the stats/abilities that it gives?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    HadToDoIt wrote: »
    if only we could get rid of mods :(

You don't want to get rid of mods. Trust me. You know how in ships, matches can be decided by a 100% tm coin flip? Not having mods would meat this happens everywhere and also that you have no way of outspeeding a G13 character without having G13 yourself.
    HadToDoIt wrote: »
    if only we could get rid of mods :(

You don't want to get rid of mods. Trust me. You know how in ships, matches can be decided by a 100% tm coin flip? Not having mods would meat this happens everywhere and also that you have no way of outspeeding a G13 character without having G13 yourself.

if only we could get rid of mods....
  • CG_SBCrumb wrote: »

We will also be kicking off a new round of changes intended to make it easier for players to reach higher gear tiers and access the Relics system. (More on how this is going to work in a future post!)

Ok so my initial question is: Should we stop gearing and wait for this update since it will be easier to gear characters later? I don't want to waste crystals and gear pieces on a commodity that is going to be cheaper in a week or two?

Yes. I'm going to hold off on using crystals or GEC (or other premium currencies) for the time being.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    Unless this is somehow customizable, I don't really see how it's not just G14 with a different name. I'll wait to see how it actually works before passing judgment (unlike most of the posts in this thread), though.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Relics sound SO great. While mods offer a decent amount of customization in stats, I really hope relics take it to a new level. Looking forward to it!
  • HK22
    644 posts Member
    Whazn wrote: »
    cly6huxnndyt.png
    @CG_SBCrumb so I know I just made a quick sloppy mobile phone edit but would it be possible to have relevant stats added to the screen? The other side could list offense #s and crit %s.

I'm down for that idea, but add a little toggle to turn off the stats for those that one the full view. This way both sides win.
  • I love it! it reminds me of when World of Warcraft had their relic weapons and we upgraded runes. After that, exp, it pretty much stayed the course. Looking forward to it!
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    Both Revans look like PIMPS!
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Gear 14: Relics
    Gear 15: Faction Relics (holocron, for example)

More levels and 7* mods

I’ll reserve judgment until I see more information, as of now I am torn: looks good but likely another sink
  • Rake6
    442 posts Member
    Don't do G13 requirement for the relics. That sucks!
  • WTB some content to play with what I farmed for. Really.
  • mellamoroberto
    259 posts Member
    edited August 2019

Unlocking the relic at, say, G11 and maintaining the current rate of progression for G12/13 gear would be more effective and would protect the P2W investments made recently in acquiring G12/13 pieces.

Gating it behind G13, we're just going to see everyone upgrading the same handful of (already meta) characters because we already have them at G13, while large portions of the new content will go unused and unexplored. This seems like a missed opportunity to me. If I want to invest my resources in URoRRuR'R'R's gaffi stick because I think it's cool, I should be able to do that without having to gear him up.

This x1000. I really really hope they reconsider and make the relics available before G13. The initial idea of relics showed a lot of potential, as we were told our excess gear pieces could be used to power up each character in the game, with each one having its own unique item. Sounded great!

Now it's been made clear all that excess gear is only useful once you've gone through the exhausting task of bringing a character to G13. That's a pretty big caveat right there. The fun of upgrading this item for whatever characters you deem fit went out the window, because all the months of time and effort needed to bring a single character to G13 status have to come first.

If you have a bunch of G12 and G13 characters this may not be as big of an issue for you, but if you don't, this new content is largely inaccessible and that excess gear isn't all that useful to you given it requires massive grinds to put it where you want.

If I love my G10 Qi'Ra and want to obtain and upgrade her relic, let me do so, please. It would actually be fun. Forcing me to complete the arduous, lengthy task of gearing her to G13 before that can even happen is not.

Choosing which characters to gear to which extent and which ones to focus on in terms of relics would add some fun, variety, and strategy to the game. "Hmm I think this character's relic would be quite useful to me, whereas for this other character it might make more sense to focus on getting to the next gear tier," etc. The relic upgrade process and gearing process need not be part of the same task, thus the "stealth G14" sentiments. Let relics run concurrently with the rest of the character upgrade process, not be another task added to the end of it. This CAN be fun if you allow it to be.

It really feels as though the developers are focusing on a small subset of the player base (and I'm referring in this case to number of highly developed characters, not necessarily whales vs FTP) when making decisions, as opposed to the player base in general. EVERYONE can benefit from and enjoy the relic system if implemented in a more accessible way. And hell, even players with a lot of G12 and G13 characters might want to add and upgrade that fun new relic that they think would make their favorite G10 character more interesting.

At the very least, I ask that you relax the strict G13 requirement a bit. You could allow relics and relic upgrades, with the caveat that they can only be developed so far per gear tier. I'd prefer gearing and relics to be separate, but that's an option.
  • The way I’m reading this means relics aren’t unlocked until G13?

Am I reading this wrong?
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    The way I’m reading this means relics aren’t unlocked until G13?

Am I reading this wrong?

No, that’s right. G13 must be a big enough wall that they need to entice us with more power to keep the momentum -expectations- going
  • This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of veteran players leaving the game. Already seen quite a few in my guilds/shards leave in last 2 months, this latest money grab could force quite a few dolphins and FTP players to give up making 2015-2016 arenas fairly quie
This discussion has been closed.